NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]Gentrified Neighborhoods

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Borovan4
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT]Gentrified Neighborhoods

Postby Borovan4 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:07 am

Issue: In a response to an ongoing influx of affluent young people into what used to be poor Maxtopian neighborhoods, Maxtopian community leaders have asked you to do something.

option 1: @@RANDOMNAME@@ barges into your door. "@@LEADER@@, I implore you to do something about this situation. Some of my people are being pushed out of our own neighborhoods, the prices of commodities are increasing, and our own businesses are being replaced with hipster records and vegan stores. Pretty soon, there will be few of us left.
line: Anyone who wears a pair of sunglasses or a beard are discriminated from opening a business or buying a house

option 2: "Now calm down," says another Maxtopian who is cofounder with a hipster of a trendy coffee shop. "I am also Maxtopian and your assumptions are incredulous. Our crime rates are going down, our neighborhoods are nicer, and isn't diversity what we are supposed to looking for? Okay, we may not have spiced Maxtopian food at every corner but but this is bringing in businesses to our neighborhoods."
line: The notorious poor Maxtopian neighborhood is unfamiliar to old time residents moving in.

option 3: The mayor of @@CAPITAL@@ comes in. “Obviously, we cannot do anything much to stop hipsters coming in. You cannot just discriminate against hipsters and rent control will just bring in shortages of houses. Maxtopians will just sell their houses higher to hipsters buying them. But what you can do is try to get people to be aware of what’s going on and invest in affordable housing.
Line: Victorian styled houses are being demolished to make way for dilapidated small houses.

Draft 1:
Issue: In a response to the undergoing wave of affluent yet young and hip people have occupied much of what used to be one of the poorer entrenched Maxtopian neighborhoods of @@CAPITAL@@, one of the Maxtopian community leaders have asked you to do something about it.

option 1: @@RANDOMNAME@@ barges into your door. "@@LEADER@@, I implore you to do something about this situation. My people are being pushed out of our own neighborhoods. Pretty soon, we won't have any of our people left since they all have to move somewhere else and we'll be stuck with atrocious records stores and vegan shops.
line: Anyone who wears a pair of sunglasses or a beard are viewed with suspicion
effect: civil rights decrease, inequality decreases, average income decreases, authoritarian increases

option 2: "Now, now calm down," says another Maxtopian who happens to be a cofounder with a formerly unemployed hipster of a trendy coffee shop. "I am part of this culture and assuredly, all this traffic of hipsters coming into our neighborhood will make things nicer. Our crime rates are going down, our neighborhoods are looking better, and isn't diversity what we are supposed to looking for?"
line: One of the most notorious ganglands of @@NAME@@ is unfamiliar to old time residents moving in.
effect: inclusiveness increases, average income increases

option 3: "Perhaps there is another option," remarks your Minister of Education. "Let's fund education for Maxtopians around this area and incentivize them to stay in their neighborhoods so that they are given tax benefits for opening businesses. It may not eliminate the new group of people coming in but it's worth a shot."
line: thinking
effect: thinking

option 4: "I got a better idea," yells a grumpy dirtily dressed man in his 40's. "Why don't we just establish rent control?" "It's much better as my landlord keeps raising the price of rent for another person younger than me. Sure there may be a shortage of housing available but you can always build more, right?"
line: Landlords are bribed in order to get a rented room.
effect: crime increases, average income decreases, inequality decreases, employment decreases
Last edited by Borovan4 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Title is neither funny nor relevant. It brings to mind "sanctuary cities," which is a different topic from gentrification.

I don't think "undergoing" is the word you meant in the desc. Maybe you meant "ongoing," but even if you change it, the sentence is wordier than it needs to be. Here's what I'd do with it, though you're under no obligation to use my suggested changes:

In a response to the undergoing wave an influx of affluent yet young and hip people have occupied much of affluent young people into what used to be one of the poorer entrenched Maxtopian neighborhoods of @@CAPITAL@@ poor Maxtopian neighborhoods, one of the Maxtopian community leaders have asked are asking you to do somethingabout it.

I'm not sure if we have any issues about gentrification. I haven't checked the spoiler thread, and I don't have the kind of encyclopedic knowledge of the existing issues base that some of the editors and long-time issues enthusiasts have.

You don't need to include stat suggestions in your drafts. That section of the issues submission page has been removed and the editors just add the stats during the editing process.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Hello, this isn't a bad little issue, but I don't get what's happening here. Rich people are moving into a typically poor area? Why is that a problem? Shouldn't the poor people be happy that the house prices are going up, and they can finally catch a lucky break. Also, option 3, why does it matter where the Maxtopians open businsesses? And option 4, What on Earth is rent control?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Borovan4
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan4 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Thank you for the feedback. It is a little wordy. I added Draft 2.
Australian Republic wrote:Hello, this isn't a bad little issue, but I don't get what's happening here. Rich people are moving into a typically poor area? Why is that a problem? Shouldn't the poor people be happy that the house prices are going up, and they can finally catch a lucky break. Also, option 3, why does it matter where the Maxtopians open businsesses? And option 4, What on Earth is rent control?

Rich people moving into a poor neighborhood is bad cause it raises prices for renters. It does give the poor who owns homes to sell at a higher price but it is still bad for the new ones looking to buy in the current market. For option 3, it matters because they can keep their culture and not make the prices too high. As for rent control, it is to set a price ceiling. You cannot rent out a housing higher than the set price.
Last edited by Borovan4 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:10 am

Back during the Tony Blair years, "regeneration" projects did something similar to many parts of London, where neighbourhoods became too expensive for longstanding communities, who were then rehoused further out from the city centre. Basically, their quality of living didn't change, they just had their communities broken apart and moved out of sight and mind, while all that prime real estate got made into yuppie flats and shiny new shopping districts. Good for economic growth, bad for the poor. More evidence that Blair was actually a Tory in disguise.

Anyway, not entirely parallel to this issue, but thought I would mention it as an interesting topic.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?