NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Lost in Thoughts All Alone

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT] Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Here we go! Somewhat inspired by this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5BfT1_PYQ

Description: It’s a normal day in @@NAME@@. The beeping of an alarm clock wakes you up, and you realize that you must have fallen asleep at your desk after a busy night of working. You wait for the usual barrage of politicians, ministers, grassroots protesters, and the pizza delivery guy, and resign yourself to your fate of answering menial issues until the end of your reign...but nobody came. No one's around. You get up and walk to the window, newly-reinforced after a few people busted through. Outside, there's no one. You wander around wondering what to do.

[option] When walking into the staff lounge, where you expect to chastise your aides for playing a mean trick on you, you see a note plastered haphazardly to the coffee machine. "OUT OF ORDER," it reads. You push the button anyway, and it whirs and emits smoke and eventually shuts off. A note was left on the table, which reads, "Can’t replace the coffee machine until @@LEADER@@ starts caring about workers’ rights and raising our wages. Or giving us some of that tax money. Secret union meeting in the East @@ANIMAL@@ Room."
[effect]@@LEADER@@ has joined a strike against the @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ government protesting for better living conditions and compensation for @@HIS@@ hard work

[option] When perusing through the almost claustrophobic hallways reminiscing about the crowds usually jammed here, you pass the vending machine, usually stocked with the best of @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ sweets. However, another “OUT OF ORDER” note is posted on the machine, emblazoned with a dire warning. You take a few @@CURRENCY@@ out of your pocket and insert it in, but it makes strange whispering voices and belches an acrid puff of smoke. You suddenly recall, with horror, that the Minister of Health had stuffed the vending machine with low-fat, nutrient-rich protein bars as part of the new government-recommended diet.
[effect]schoolchildren bite into protein bars bearing @@LEADER@@’s likeness and promptly spit them back out

[option]You decide to collect your thoughts and get some fresh air, but when going out the door, you see that only the garden right outside of your office underneath your window was green, while the rest is overgrown and a ghastly, mottled shade of orange. You imagine what your Minister of Environment would say. "@@LEADER@@, you have to take care of the green spaces of your country!" @@HE@@ would say, evidently frustrated. A blueish hose was left on the ground, snaking across the dying grass, the faucet not far away. It calls to you, but a note reading “OUT OF ORDER” is stuck onto the faucet. Turning it, the top breaks off in your hand, and the water squirts everywhere, leaving you soaked. Smoke is also somehow rising from the remains of the faucet.
[effect]@@LEADER@@'s house is constantly portrayed on @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ Gardeners' Monthly

[option]Soaking wet, you sulk back to your office, passing by empty room after empty room. Walking around with no one talking to you has made you somewhat tired, and it’s possible that you are hallucinating. You sit down at your chair, in that familiar position you have every day, where people lined up at your desk, protesters and reporters outside the building, and you almost start to see your staff, looking worriedly at you, but when you look back, they're gone. Eyes heavy, you suddenly notice a piece of paper on your desk that you're sure wasn't there when you started this morning. It reads, "You thought that all the issues were just repeating themselves back, and forth, and back, and forth again. But there is always a time when there is no issue, when you have a momentary sense of peace." The note crumples itself and catches in flames, vanishing into smoke. The smoke detector goes off and you realize that it sounds just like your alarm clock.
[effect]@@LEADER@@ regularly schedules @@HIS@@ nap times for six hours in between each pressing national issue

Description: When you arrive at your desk this morning, waiting for the usual barrage of politicians, ministers, grassroots protesters, and the pizza delivery guy, you are at peace, resigned to your fate of answering issues until the end of your reign until you realize...you're at peace. No one's around. You get up and walk to the window where a few people once busted through. Outside, there's no one. No movement, not even a mouse. You sit back, wondering what has happened and where everyone is.

[option]When walking into the staff lounge, you see a note hidden next to the coffee machine. "OUT OF ORDER," it says, and in tiny letters under that, it reads, "Someone replace this darn machine." You push the button, but it whirs and emits smoke and eventually shuts off. A note was left on the table, which reads, "You know, if @@LEADER@@ cared about worker's rights, @@HE@@'d have to raise our wages and improve our working condition."
[effect]officials' wages spike after every public holiday

[option]When perusing through the almost claustrophobic hallways, you pass the vending machine, stocked with sweets. Since your personal chef isn't there, the next best thing is the chocolate. You take a few @@CURRENCY@@ out of your pocket and insert it in, but it rejects the @@CURRENCY@@.
Just then, you notice a note on the side that reads, "OUT OF ORDER." You have to squint, but under that was written in what looks like your Minister of Health's handwriting, "So much fat and calories! Tsk!"
[effect]healthy, low-fat foods are trendy among @@NAME@@'s upper class

[option]When going out the door, you realize that only the garden outside of your office is green, while the rest is a ghastly shade of orange and overgrown. You recall a conversation you had long ago with an environmentalist. "@@LEADER@@, you have to take care of the green spaces of your country!" @@HE@@ said, evidently frustrated. A blueish hose was left on the ground, snaking across the dying grass, the faucet not far away.
[effect]@@LEADER@@'s house is constantly portrayed on @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ Gardeners' Monthly

[option]You decide enough is enough, and retreat back to your office, passing by room after room of emptiness. Walking around with no one talking to you has made you somewhat tired, and has made you start hallucinating. You start rambling to yourself, wondering where everyone is, who's maintaining the government, and why you were the one to find out yourself. You sit down at your chair, in that familiar position you have every day, where people lined up at your desk, protesters and reporters outside the building, and you almost start to see your staff, looking worriedly at you,
but when you look back, they're gone. Eyes heavy, you see a note on your desk that you're sure wasn't there before. It reads, "You thought there was no issue, that all the issues were just repeating themselves back, and forth, and back, and forth again. Maybe this one you'll see again. Maybe not.
But even when you thought there was no issue, you found the issue yourself. What does that mean? You'll see it eventually," it says cryptically, as your eyes droop farther and farther. "But until that time, take this opportunity. Go...for the good of @@NAME@@. Wake up."
[effect]@@LEADER@@ regularly schedules @@HIS@@ nap times to correspond with prime issue debate
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Make sure you get the prounouns correct because women do use this game! Not every leader is a dude but I like the premise!!!
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:09 am

Nice little issue, but where is everyone?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:58 am

It's a dream, Aussie.

I like the narrative experimentation of this issue. May be a little TOO avant garde, but don't let that stop you. Just make it really, really good instead, so any doubters can be won over by its quality.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Queen Yuno
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Queen Yuno » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Just read this
it's a great issue
Stop giving misogynistic abusers a platform. Anyone who sides with Tiktok Star Andrew Tate even 1% of what he says will be treated as enemy who should be shamed out of society. Impressions+Views+Videowatches=$. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. I don't care if he said "some good stuff", it's still bad because: the more you watch him, the more ad revenue MONEY and algorithm BOOSTS you're giving him to traffick victims. And don't say the victim lied, a young man stupidly told me that the victim confessed to lying, I told em to link me proof, articles or the Audio of her confession, he googled and found 0 proof 0 articles, and he realized he was spreading fake rumors he heard and BELIEVED without fact-check. Don't brand victims as liars without GOOGLING. Debated here

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Feel like maybe this should be an Easter egg
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Arceus Domains
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Arceus Domains » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Fauxia wrote:Feel like maybe this should be an Easter egg

I second this. Although, I'd like to see an option where leader decides to to renew the entire staff (which would be option 4, in my opinion, since he's going to wake up after all). EIther that, or reword the 4th option to make it shorter ;) Good premise!

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Arceus Domains wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Feel like maybe this should be an Easter egg

I second this. Although, I'd like to see an option where leader decides to to renew the entire staff (which would be option 4, in my opinion, since he's going to wake up after all). EIther that, or reword the 4th option to make it shorter ;) Good premise!
Where is CWA’s opinion when you need it :p
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Fauxia wrote:Where is CWA’s opinion when you need it :p

He said something upthread, but he's rarely got anything useful to say.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Where is CWA’s opinion when you need it :p

He said something upthread, but he's rarely got anything useful to say.
I was tlaking about the Easter Egg opinion.

Also, you always have good advice when you feel like contributing.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 am

Suddenly found the inspiration to post another draft of this almost three years later. Hopefully, it's aged well. :p :blush:

Retitled it after a Fire Emblem song.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:22 pm

You wander around wondering what to do.

Consider adding a comma between "around" and "wondering". I love the literary device there, tho ;)

And that's the only nitpick I could mention here. While the option texts seem a little lengthy, it's brilliantly written. I really love this concept and I think this would be an excellent easter egg! Perhaps it could be encountered if you have "dreamy" in your nation pre-title or if you had "sheep" as your national animal. You know, as in "counting sheep" before falling asleep :P

I would love to encounter this issue in the issue base, especially as an easter egg!
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Advertisement

Remove ads