NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 am

It may help if you think of your effect lines as what your nation's tabloid papers are saying the day after you bring in the new legislation.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 am

Caracasus wrote:It may help if you think of your effect lines as what your nation's tabloid papers are saying the day after you bring in the new legislation.

The tabloids that really exaggerate or just plain make stuff up at that :p

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 pm

858.2:

“It’s the patriotic duty of every citizen to participate in juries,” reminds your Justice Minister. “The fact that some people think of creative excuses to get out of it is offensive to say the least. We need to make jury duty mandatory for all citizens, and make the randomized selection the final selection. Picking and choosing jurors is too prone to corruption and legal manipulation, no matter how well-intentioned the selection process may be.”

Following new legislation in First Dictatorship, a five-year-old and a convicted terrorist can sit alongside one another in jury service.

First Dictatorship's civil rights for some reason decreased.
Last edited by He Qixin on Wed May 02, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm

He Qixin wrote:858.2:

“It’s the patriotic duty of every citizen to participate in juries,” reminds your Justice Minister. “The fact that some people think of creative excuses to get out of it is offensive to say the least. We need to make jury duty mandatory for all citizens, and make the randomized selection the final selection. Picking and choosing jurors is too prone to corruption and legal manipulation, no matter how well-intentioned the selection process may be.”

Where's the confusion? Make jury duty mandatory -> lower civil rights. Very small drop.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Wed May 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
He Qixin wrote:858.2:

Where's the confusion? Make jury duty mandatory -> lower civil rights. Very small drop.

Sorry if the fallout was posted late, but the fallout has absolutely nothing to do with and does not show it would lower civil rights.
Last edited by He Qixin on Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed May 02, 2018 5:40 pm

He Qixin wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Where's the confusion? Make jury duty mandatory -> lower civil rights. Very small drop.

Sorry if the fallout was posted late, but the fallout has absolutely nothing to do with and does not show it would lower civil rights.

I don't know what you are talking about now. It lowered that nation's CR. The backend code looks solid.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed May 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
He Qixin wrote:Sorry if the fallout was posted late, but the fallout has absolutely nothing to do with and does not show it would lower civil rights.

I don't know what you are talking about now. It lowered that nation's CR. The backend code looks solid.

Can confirm, everything is working as intended.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 am

Now, I think THIS needs some fixing:

It seems that whenever you boost military budgets, political freedoms decrease for some reason. This happen to one of my relatively new puppets a few weeks ago by answering 24.2.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 am

He Qixin wrote:Now, I think THIS needs some fixing:

It seems that whenever you boost military budgets, political freedoms decrease for some reason. This happen to one of my relatively new puppets a few weeks ago by answering 24.2.

Ok so how are we supposed to check to something to ensure nothing went wrong if you don't give us the name of the puppet.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Thu May 03, 2018 2:06 am

Sanctaria wrote:
He Qixin wrote:Now, I think THIS needs some fixing:

Ok so how are we supposed to check to something to ensure nothing went wrong if you don't give us the name of the puppet.

I think it's either ProDrugger, Following new legislation in, or First Dictatorship

It's definitely Following new legislation in.

Also, a few weeks ago, He Qixin has decided to open up the arms industry but regulate it, and the stat for that went down (from a negative number to an even lower negative number). I wasn't against the industry, I just wanted regulations for it.
Last edited by He Qixin on Thu May 03, 2018 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu May 03, 2018 2:13 am

He Qixin wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Ok so how are we supposed to check to something to ensure nothing went wrong if you don't give us the name of the puppet.

I think it's either ProDrugger, Following new legislation in, or First Dictatorship

I'm not going through three to find it. You figure out which puppet it was and let us know.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu May 03, 2018 2:35 am

He Qixin wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Ok so how are we supposed to check to something to ensure nothing went wrong if you don't give us the name of the puppet.

It's definitely Following new legislation in.

*sigh* That nation has never answered issue 24.

Look, if there is a bug, some other nation will report it. If it's not reported, assume there was no bug and you made a mistake.

Ah sorry, I can see you answered it on April 24th.

Political freedoms don't necessarily go down with military spending, it just so happens in this option two different stats were applied that made it happen on this occasion. Honestly I'm not sure why, so leave that with me to figure out.

He Qixin wrote:Also, a few weeks ago, He Qixin has decided to open up the arms industry but regulate it, and the stat for that went down (from a negative number to an even lower negative number). I wasn't against the industry, I just wanted regulations for it.

"a few weeks ago". No issue number. How is this helpful?

Ok new rule for you from now on. Before you post with an unusual effect, please have the issue number, the puppet it happened on, and if you don't catch it in a couple of days, the approx. date you received it.
Last edited by Sanctaria on Thu May 03, 2018 2:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu May 03, 2018 3:07 am

Sanctaria wrote:

*sigh* That nation has never answered issue 24.

Look, if there is a bug, some other nation will report it. If it's not reported, assume there was no bug and you made a mistake.

Ah sorry, I can see you answered it on April 24th.

Political freedoms don't necessarily go down with military spending, it just so happens in this option two different stats were applied that made it happen on this occasion. Honestly I'm not sure why, so leave that with me to figure out.

So I've adjusted the stats on this issue. It'd been flagged internally for a fix, but with all going on, it was overlooked.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 am

Sanctaria wrote:"a few weeks ago". No issue number. How is this helpful?

Ok new rule for you from now on. Before you post with an unusual effect, please have the issue number, the puppet it happened on, and if you don't catch it in a couple of days, the approx. date you received it.

It was this nation, 137.3, around February-March, this year. Also, thanks for dealing with the milita-political-freedoms problem!

Anyway, my problem is, in that option, the speaker clearly states that

"We can't ban arms sales

and furthermore

we don't lose too many sales

The arms industry get to sell their guns

despite the speaker wants to "implement additional safety checks" on the arms industry too.

I was expecting my arms industry to turn into a positive number, albeit it would be low, but not only did that not happen, the arms industry unexpectedly decreased.
Last edited by He Qixin on Thu May 03, 2018 4:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Thu May 03, 2018 4:58 am

He Qixin wrote:

It was this nation, 137.3, around February-March, this year. Also, thanks for dealing with the milita-political-freedoms problem!

"We can't ban arms sales

and furthermore

despite the speaker wants to "implement additional safety checks" on the arms industry too.

I was expecting my arms industry to turn into a positive number, albeit it would be low, but not only did that not happen, the arms industry unexpectedly decreased.

You imposed more regulations on the Arms Manufacturing industry, the speaker was trying to downplay the losses, but one can *easily* conclude that “additional safety checks” will lower productivity, and therefore it makes complete sense that arms manufacturing decreased.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Thu May 03, 2018 5:03 am

Candensia wrote:
He Qixin wrote:

"We can't ban arms sales

and furthermore

You imposed more regulations on the Arms Manufacturing industry, the speaker was trying to downplay the losses, but one can *easily* conclude that “additional safety checks” will lower productivity, and therefore it makes complete sense that arms manufacturing decreased.

ughhh ok then

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu May 03, 2018 7:57 am

He Qixin wrote:

It was this nation, 137.3, around February-March, this year.

Again for future reference, you need an exact date or there's no point reporting. We aren't sifting through 2 months of issues on a nation.

Krusavich
Attaché

Founded: Mar 19, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 pm

For this nation today, I got issue 307, chose option 1

Politicians are often found scavenging bins at night to supplement their income.

This increased my corruption by a bit. I can see why it would, but I'm a little confused since the only other option for this issue would have resulted in;

Newspapers cannot report anything about politicians without their explicit consent.

Both of these options seem to increase corruption. I guess I'm just wondering if that's intentional, since I find it a little strange that an issue like this is just going to increase corruption no matter what (barring dismissals).
Last edited by Krusavich on Thu May 03, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 am

#439 3 increases Taxation. This is totally reasonable, but contradicts the recent editor pretense that Taxation really means only income tax.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Fri May 04, 2018 2:09 am

He Qixin wrote:
Candensia wrote:

ughhh ok then

So it's right that regulations would hurt your industry, but after a quick discussion, we've changed the severity of the hit that option provides. Thanks for your report.

And it was March 25th you got this issue. It's now May 4th.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Reorganisieren Reichregierung
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Reorganisieren Reichregierung » Fri May 04, 2018 3:32 am

I have an issue with 137 as well, but with option 1 - why would my civil rights increase when I crackdown on protests against the arms industry?
Last edited by Reorganisieren Reichregierung on Fri May 04, 2018 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
GROSSGERMANISCHES REICH DEUTSCHEN NATION
Canons: Kali Yuga | TSC
Overview | Government | Military | Economy

Generic Reich LARP nation #557753245. Call me "Reich", "RR" or by nation name only if OOC.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 04, 2018 4:39 am

Trotterdam wrote:#439 3 increases Taxation. This is totally reasonable, but contradicts the recent editor pretense that Taxation really means only income tax.

Yep. That pretense wasn't fudged in till recently, so at the time that issue was edited we didn't have a fixed direction on these things, and the stat review hadn't reached there yet. Amended it for now.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 04, 2018 4:41 am

Reorganisieren Reichregierung wrote:I have an issue with 137 as well, but with option 1 - why would my civil rights increase when I crackdown on protests against the arms industry?

As per the opening FAQ, competing civil rights. While being anti-protest is anti freedom, relaxing gun laws is pro freedom.

I'll rebalance the magnitudes though, to reduce the balance of nations that simulate this as a net pro-freedom move.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri May 04, 2018 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 am

Krusavich wrote:For this nation today, I got issue 307, chose option 1

Politicians are often found scavenging bins at night to supplement their income.

This increased my corruption by a bit. I can see why it would, but I'm a little confused since the only other option for this issue would have resulted in;

Newspapers cannot report anything about politicians without their explicit consent.

Both of these options seem to increase corruption. I guess I'm just wondering if that's intentional, since I find it a little strange that an issue like this is just going to increase corruption no matter what (barring dismissals).

It's a complex one, and corruption could rise OR fall with either option.

The core logic here is that while its corrupting to let politicians set their own wages, having poorly paid career politicians also makes them more prone to being externally influenced by financial incentives, for example by bribes. Hunger makes a thief of any man, as Pearl S. Buck wrote.

It's not perfect logic, I know, but in past discussions its where we agreed to end up on this.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri May 04, 2018 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trithereon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trithereon » Fri May 04, 2018 11:48 am

316 is one of those rare issues that does NOT erroneously conflate the right of self-defense with violating "freedom of movement"; those are two separate options. Yet when I choose the option for no government involvement, it STILL increases my authoritarianism!
347.3 and 571.1 are examples of the CORRECT way to handle authoritarianism: it should decrease or stay the same every time government stays out of something, regardless of what individuals do to each other.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?