NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:54 am

He Qixin wrote:Choosing 58.4 decreased civil rights on Triangle and Square today, about an hour ago.

This does not make sense.

Why?

When you create a nation, the last (I think) statement on the statement-naire states:

It is better to deter criminals than rehabilitate them.

Agreeing to that statement apparently increases social conservatism and decreases civil rights, which means if you disagree with the statement - or you think it is better to rehabilitate criminals, the effects should be vice versa (social conservatism decreases and civil rights increases).

To my understanding, answering 58.4 is the same as disagreeing the last question on the questionnaire when you create a nation. Yet civil rights decreased when I chose 58.4 on Triangle and Square about an hour ago.

But I may have missed something. Explain please.

Looks like I was skipped.
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:35 am

He Qixin wrote:
He Qixin wrote:Choosing 58.4 decreased civil rights on Triangle and Square today, about an hour ago.

This does not make sense.

Why?

When you create a nation, the last (I think) statement on the statement-naire states:

It is better to deter criminals than rehabilitate them.

Agreeing to that statement apparently increases social conservatism and decreases civil rights, which means if you disagree with the statement - or you think it is better to rehabilitate criminals, the effects should be vice versa (social conservatism decreases and civil rights increases).

To my understanding, answering 58.4 is the same as disagreeing the last question on the questionnaire when you create a nation. Yet civil rights decreased when I chose 58.4 on Triangle and Square about an hour ago.

But I may have missed something. Explain please.

Looks like I was skipped.

The option isn't actual in-line with the rehabilitation of criminals, but rather deals with the outlawing of religious practices - questionable as those practices might be - and the forced re-education of the practitioners.

In NS, whenever you restrict the rights of your people to do something (marry who they want, go where they want, or follow a fringe religion founded by a crazed woman in purple), chances are that - depending on your nation's beginning stats - it will have the effect of lowering your civil rights.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:35 am

Cheers for flagging. Looks like the issue is working fine, and a validity test on the poster's nation shows it is correctly excluding that nation.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Dwarfpolis
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dwarfpolis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:50 am

Help the poor get jobs nothing notable happens
Ban homework -0.08% HDI

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AND I JUST GOT OVER MY LAST HDI PEAK http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/fac ... 06/742.jpg

edit: I don't know if this suits this thread or the other issues thread and while it makes sense that harming education harms HDI it's still insanely arbitrary how the stat is calculated
Last edited by Dwarfpolis on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
You have read this siggy just so you could know that Trotterdam is a real Left-Leaning College State and a real hero

Ok this austerity bit will hurt my intelligence stat a little and this industrial option will bite the environment but it doesn't seem anything to bAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
https://i.imgur.com/KwZK4Mm.jpg

When you finally got out of your good stat depression and the mods will boost your HDI and lifespan into 91+ with the new beta
https://i.imgur.com/C5nuNya.jpg

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:51 am

Dwarfpolis wrote:Help the poor get jobs nothing notable happens
Ban homework -0.08% HDI

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AND I JUST GOT OVER MY LAST HDI PEAK http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/fac ... 06/742.jpg

edit: I don't know if this suits this thread or the other issues thread and while it makes sense that harming education harms HDI it's still insanely arbitrary how the stat is calculated

Okay. First off, can you please not post pictures that have absolutely nothing to do with the issue you are having problems with here? Often nations post a screenshot of stats from their nation. This picture adds nothing to what people need to know to help you.

Secondly, please post the issue numbers or at very least their titles, not a vague description of what happened. Us editors can go back and check issues you've answered but it's still useful if we've got something to go on - no-one else can do that, so you're ruling out help from a large chunk of the community.

The first issue did a considerable amount to your nation.

As for the second issue in question. HDI (Human Development Index) is a stat that is impacted by a whole range of other stats from your nation. In this case, getting rid of homework resulted in a negligible decrease to your student's education. That had an even smaller impact on HDI.

A change that doesn't even register as a tenth of a per cent to this stat is not really worth worrying about or reporting. The issue is functioning entirely as expected here.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Dwarven Periphery
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dwarven Periphery » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:36 am

Caracasus wrote:
Dwarfpolis wrote:Help the poor get jobs nothing notable happens
Ban homework -0.08% HDI

Okay. First off, can you please not post pictures that have absolutely nothing to do with the issue you are having problems with here? Often nations post a screenshot of stats from their nation. This picture adds nothing to what people need to know to help you.

Secondly, please post the issue numbers or at very least their titles, not a vague description of what happened. Us editors can go back and check issues you've answered but it's still useful if we've got something to go on - no-one else can do that, so you're ruling out help from a large chunk of the community.

As for the second issue in question. HDI (Human Development Index) is a stat that is impacted by a whole range of other stats from your nation. In this case, getting rid of homework resulted in a negligible decrease to your student's education. That had an even smaller impact on HDI.

A change that doesn't even register as a tenth of a per cent to this stat is not really worth worrying about or reporting. The issue is functioning entirely as expected here.

I never specified the issue number because I knew I would get a dismissive reply, unless you are considering adding a HDI boost with the result I described first. You're right HDI has a really elaborate basis because it doesn't correlate neither with life expectancy nor with incomes as I have seen it inversely develop with both in some issue answers

I don't know where the general complaint thread is or if I should have just made an OP for that.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:39 am

Dwarven Periphery wrote:I never specified the issue number because I knew I would get a dismissive reply,
Self-satisfying prophecy?

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:43 am

501.1 lowers civil rights even though I'm making it so toddlers can't be dressed in sexual costumes and exploited, which I'd consider to be increasing their rights.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Dwarven Periphery
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dwarven Periphery » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Dwarven Periphery wrote:I never specified the issue number because I knew I would get a dismissive reply,
Self-satisfying prophecy?

HDI is broken and doesn't correlate with two of its component statistics and I don't eve know if it correlates with public education, I complained about that before and doubtlessly people before me have, why would I strive to change what won't?

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:03 am

Dwarven Periphery wrote:
Caracasus wrote:

I never specified the issue number because I knew I would get a dismissive reply, unless you are considering adding a HDI boost with the result I described first. You're right HDI has a really elaborate basis because it doesn't correlate neither with life expectancy nor with incomes as I have seen it inversely develop with both in some issue answers

I don't know where the general complaint thread is or if I should have just made an OP for that.

We don't add HDI boosts. HDI boosts occur when other changes happen. In another nation, that option might well lead to an HDI boost. Not yours though, it'd appear.

There is no general complaint thread. There is this thread, which is for when an issue effect seems very unusual. 7-8 times out of 10 it's not and a user has mis-read something or misinterpreted something. Most users are polite and play nicely with others, so most of us have no problems at all helping out and explaining. I never have a problem dealing with users who don't act like entitled babies who absolutely must be the centre of attention all the time - and to the 99% of you out there who don't - please do keep reporting these because sometimes they are very useful indeed. We know you don't have all the answers and don't have everything in front of you so it's understandable that people raise problems with issues where there are none. Hell, I did it often enough when I wasn't an editor.

Occasionally an issue effect will be wrong. Editors are human beings and we make mistakes. In the second case, this thread is very useful for troubleshooting. If you really have a problem with the issues on a fundamental level beyond unusual effects then there are two avenues to pursue.

1) Get into issue writing, get noticed, become an editor and work with the editing team to bring about changes

or

2) Find another game.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:05 am

Cekoviu wrote:501.1 lowers civil rights even though I'm making it so toddlers can't be dressed in sexual costumes and exploited, which I'd consider to be increasing their rights.

And you would be right. The civil rights stat often plays off the rights of several groups in your society, depending on where their starting points might be. In this instance, removing the rights of parents to hold beauty pageants slightly outweighed the rights of children not to be dragged round the things.

Hope this helps.

Dwarfpolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dwarfpolis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:11 am

Caracasus wrote:
Dwarven Periphery wrote:

We don't add HDI boosts. HDI boosts occur when other changes happen. In another nation, that option might well lead to an HDI boost. Not yours though, it'd appear.

There is no general complaint thread. There is this thread, which is for when an issue effect seems very unusual. 7-8 times out of 10 it's not and a user has mis-read something or misinterpreted something. Most users are polite and play nicely with others, so most of us have no problems at all helping out and explaining. I never have a problem dealing with users who don't act like entitled babies who absolutely must be the centre of attention all the time - and to the 99% of you out there who don't - please do keep reporting these because sometimes they are very useful indeed. We know you don't have all the answers and don't have everything in front of you so it's understandable that people raise problems with issues where there are none. Hell, I did it often enough when I wasn't an editor.

Occasionally an issue effect will be wrong. Editors are human beings and we make mistakes. In the second case, this thread is very useful for troubleshooting. If you really have a problem with the issues on a fundamental level beyond unusual effects then there are two avenues to pursue.

1) Get into issue writing, get noticed, become an editor and work with the editing team to bring about changes

or

2) Find another game.

This conversation could have ended nicely if I didn't reply to Trotterdam's post. I made a general complaint, with a little hope that maybe 255.4 adds a HDI boost1 since something so trivial as banning homework also affects HDI. I did not elaborate my post because I understand the protocol here and don't expect a change. I am aware that HDI calculation in this game is entirely nonsensical because it does not seem to relate to any of the variables that HDI is calculated by but since my nation is statist and I'm an issues player aiming for a high HDI (a stat of mine which was getting pumelled hard for the last month also because of issues options that consequantially and logically wouldn't affect hdi hardl in a real life setting) I don't mind. That much.

What's was the problem?

1 - By "HDI boost" I meant that the issue result boosts HDI.

Edit: my intention is to continue reporting any unusual issue effects I get that bother me and not start an argument over a misunderstanding
Last edited by Dwarfpolis on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
You have read this siggy just so you could know that Trotterdam is a real Left-Leaning College State and a real hero

Ok this austerity bit will hurt my intelligence stat a little and this industrial option will bite the environment but it doesn't seem anything to bAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

When you finally got out of your good stat depression and the mods will boost your HDI and lifespan into 91+ with the new beta

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:36 pm

I forgot the issue for this fallout, but here is the fallout anyway:

108 minutes ago: Following new legislation in He Qixin, supervisors in He Qixin commonly tie bells on their necks to alert employees of their presence.

Now I know whoever said the option which let to this fallout should increase employment if his/her option was chosen, but instead my employment decreased, and income equality increased, from a score of about 37 or so to about 39.

Why?
Last edited by He Qixin on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Dwarfpolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dwarfpolis » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 am

Answering issue 685 with option 2 on an alt that was a bit underdeveloped raised both lifespan and health but reduced HDI.
Last edited by Dwarfpolis on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 am

He Qixin wrote:I forgot the issue for this fallout, but here is the fallout anyway:

108 minutes ago: Following new legislation in He Qixin, supervisors in He Qixin commonly tie bells on their necks to alert employees of their presence.

Now I know whoever said the option which let to this fallout should increase employment if his/her option was chosen, but instead my employment decreased, and income equality increased, from a score of about 37 or so to about 39.

Why?

Without the issue number or title it is pretty hard to tell, but I did manage to track it down. Next time, give us the title or number of the issue please.

This issue has no stats problems and is working as intended as far as I can see.

Depending on what your (among other stats) economic freedom is like, different nations will see different effects here.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 am

Caracasus wrote:
He Qixin wrote:I forgot the issue for this fallout, but here is the fallout anyway:

Why?

Without the issue number or title it is pretty hard to tell, but I did manage to track it down. Next time, give us the title or number of the issue please.

This issue has no stats problems and is working as intended as far as I can see.

Depending on what your (among other stats) economic freedom is like, different nations will see different effects here.

Sorry; I forgot to. Anyway, thanks!

Dwarfpolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dwarfpolis » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am

Issue 280.3 destroyed my industry (very understandable) and decreased my HDI (not so much, because health increased)

Before I flood the thread with reports of this sort can I know how HDI actually works in the game?
Last edited by Dwarfpolis on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Picuros
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picuros » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 am

Issue 284.1 dropped my recreational drug use by 43%. Government-sponsored drug sale, very neutral blurb ("The government has begun selling heroin and ecstasy to help fund its projects.")

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Picuros wrote:Issue 284.1 dropped my recreational drug use by 43%. Government-sponsored drug sale, very neutral blurb ("The government has begun selling heroin and ecstasy to help fund its projects.")

This option states that 1) The drug trade will need to be regulated, that 2) It will be nationalised and that 3) They'll also hand out pamphlets on the dangers of illegal drugs. That's why your drug trade took a hit.

New Mushroom Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Mushroom Kingdom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Why did requiring motorcycle helmets and protective gear result in an 8% increase of income equality? That issue's other effects seem correct, but I'm not sure why it has a notable impact on those metrics. (Issue 456)
NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Embassy Request Thread NS section of my wiki-thing Questions?
DEFCON 5. Never forget Z-Day. 1/4/13. 'Corporate Police State' fits just as well as the actual WA category.
There are no magic mushrooms in this nation. Seriously.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Before I flood the thread with reports of this sort can I know how HDI actually works in the game?

It actually tells you if you view the stat's chart:
"The World Census compiles a “Human Development Index” by measuring citizens’ average life expectancy, education, and income."

That's basically it. Health is probably also taken into account, but upon taking down your economy,
you've: a) lowered income, b) lowered education, and c) probably broke even with life expectancy. :P

Edit: I'd like to mention that you've still got a very good one; I've got pretty high stats in all those things, and I'm still only slightly ahead of you. :lol:
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

The Long and Winding Halls of @@Capital@@ BUG?

Postby VoVoDoCo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 pm

There were three options: cut all departments "in half", conduct a study to see what needs to be cut, and preserve a recently discovered tribe of bureaucrats. I chose option two.

The stats were almost objectively terrible. I got
  • Worsening environment
  • Down economy
  • Higher unemployment
  • More crime
  • Amongst other things.

All of that, from a 1.1% tax cut. And I already have low taxes.

Is this a bug? A known bug? Stat realignments I could only understand if I could look behind the curtain?

If it's that last one, I get it. I'm just curious.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 pm

I mean, it doesn't matter how big a tax cut it is — the fact is you cut funding to all departments, except possibly administration.

Less funding to environment is still a worse environment, as is the case with less funding towards business subsidization and a worse economy leading to less jobs*,
less welfare/social policy/transportation/education/law&order/jobs/income leading to crime rate, etc.

Taxes are pretty good, generally — and the game's not great at doing the calculations for its disadvantages,
although Average Disposable Income is an interesting stat to keep in mind. Definitely one of my harder decisions was choosing option 1 of that issue,
but I think it was worth it. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

New Emeline
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:28 pm

On the issue “a nude day, a nude awakening” I selected the option to allow people to make nice edits of my leader and my political freedom went down. Why is that?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:29 pm

New Emeline wrote:On the issue “a nude day, a nude awakening” I selected the option to allow people to make nice edits of my leader and my political freedom went down. Why is that?

The short answer is always that where freedom and civil rights changes end depend on where you start. In your case, the change was pretty minimal, however, so it shouldn't take long to recover.

With this option, your leader's right to privacy (as well as that of everyone else in the public eye) is being invaded by giving people the right to do whatever they like with their image. So that would account for this change.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?