NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mesadora
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesadora » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:36 am

#930 "Flag It Down?":
Chose option that essentially said "who cares about flags? we're all just human no matter where we come from"

Pacifism went down 0.2%. I would expect it to go up, probably drastically up.
Effect text said "Flags are commonly used as bonfire kindling." which could imply violence, but that seems very far removed from the actual option chosen.

MESADORA
|
The views expressed by this nation are not shared by the user behind it.

BeatsMe
Secretary

Founded: Jan 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby BeatsMe » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:44 am

#1287 Children of the Magna Carta
Option 4 is nice role playing/what if option.
However the effects should be truly negative on economy and general government capacity to take reasonable actions (can be simulated by such effects as crime up, tax up, corruption up).
Only inclusiveness, compassion should go up.

After all no effects (as it is now) actually means that:
1. the day person turns 18 - he/she becomes idiot/bad person or something along that lines.
2. the additional education and life experience is not only irrelevant, but actually actively harms people/society.
3. the skills (including social) people acquire after 18 are all bad..

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:04 am

Aqualagoon wrote:Issue 1239 option 2, with this nation

There were very significant economic effects, including an 8% increase to my already high business subsidisation, and 7% decreases to my two largest industries, agriculture and trout fishing.

Given that the issue addresses a very rare occurrence (people being declared dead when they aren't), I don't see why it should have a more dramatic effect on my economy than pretty much any economic issue I've come across.

This issue option is indeed coded to have very small effects.

However, you're failing to understand how percentages work. See the first post of this thread, which explains.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:07 am

Iguanarctica wrote:Issue 240, option 1. This nation

Increased taxation by a fairly substantial amount (at least compared to most issues, even economic ones). It's not a massive change, but I'm struggling to understand how reducing pressure on the justice system and making trials less time-consuming would lead to an increase in tax.

Again, percentages.

Your absolute change in tax rate was from 1.25% to 1.3%.

On review of that issue, however, I've tweaked the stats in some ways unrelated to your complaint, to iron out some small oddities.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:12 am

Mesadora wrote:#930 "Flag It Down?":
Chose option that essentially said "who cares about flags? we're all just human no matter where we come from"

Pacifism went down 0.2%. I would expect it to go up, probably drastically up.
Effect text said "Flags are commonly used as bonfire kindling." which could imply violence, but that seems very far removed from the actual option chosen.

Cause found and fixed.

It's complex, but it was due to a combination of core program level satire within the stats, combined with an editor using one stat as a rough approximation of another. Removing that approximation fixed the problem.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:16 am

BeatsMe wrote:#1287 Children of the Magna Carta
Option 4 is nice role playing/what if option.
However the effects should be truly negative on economy and general government capacity to take reasonable actions (can be simulated by such effects as crime up, tax up, corruption up).
Only inclusiveness, compassion should go up.

After all no effects (as it is now) actually means that:
1. the day person turns 18 - he/she becomes idiot/bad person or something along that lines.
2. the additional education and life experience is not only irrelevant, but actually actively harms people/society.
3. the skills (including social) people acquire after 18 are all bad..

You picked option 2.

Also, please try to specify the exact effect that you found to be unexpected, rather than just presenting a full list of stat changes you'd want to see attached.

BeatsMe
Secretary

Founded: Jan 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby BeatsMe » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:51 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:#1287 Children of the Magna Carta

Please consider the essence, I know I picked option 2. We both now that there is certain saite that allows you to see what are the average effects.
I just point out that option 4 should have reasonable negative effects associated with it to reflect the real life.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:58 am

No, we don't take unexpected effect reports based on the averages from Trotterdam's site. Those are average movements across a wide data sample. Every individual nation will respond differently to issues according to their starting position.

To be clear, this query is closed, and future reports based on Trotterdam's stat tracker are not desired.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Aqualagoon wrote:Issue 1239 option 2, with this nation

There were very significant economic effects, including an 8% increase to my already high business subsidisation, and 7% decreases to my two largest industries, agriculture and trout fishing.

Given that the issue addresses a very rare occurrence (people being declared dead when they aren't), I don't see why it should have a more dramatic effect on my economy than pretty much any economic issue I've come across.

This issue option is indeed coded to have very small effects.

However, you're failing to understand how percentages work. See the first post of this thread, which explains.

As per the first post:
The perceived magnitude of effect that you are experiencing often results from being a new nation. The earliest issues you answer always cause massive stat changes, as you're adding small numbers to small numbers. As time goes on you'll find that the same issues will often now barely affect things at all, as you're adding small numbers to very large numbers.

1. Aqualagoon is not a new nation, I've answered hundreds of issues on it over the last 3 years.
2. As I mentioned in my post, the effects were on very large stats. My agriculture dropped by 7% (5000 MU). Whichever way you look at that, it's a very large change.

I appreciate the work you guys do, so won't be going further with this, but I just thought I'd let you know.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Yirophia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yirophia » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Curiously, this morning Yirophia somehow managed to raise "taxation" and "freedom from taxation" at the same time.

I didn't think to take note of the issue name or number, but the option I picked gave me this outcome for the flavour text: "13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Yirophia, motorists must pay to enter inner-cities during peak hours."
Meme political axis chart thing (really not reflective of my opinions on capitalism vs. communism and regulationism vs. laissez-faire due to poor question framing on the test's part in those areas)

Buying cards of own nation

A father says to his son, "see you tomorrow, next month, next year, next decade, next century, and next millennium." Five minutes later he sees his son again and everything he said is true. They're amid celebrating the incoming new year 3000.

Interwood
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Interwood » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:08 am

#1275 "You Cruise, You Lose", option 1. Interwood

Tourism up by 1.7% (from 19.60 to 19.93). Theoretically, shouldn't tourism go down?
Last edited by Interwood on Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Western Day
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Day » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:46 pm

- Western Day
- Happened today
- This Way's Kinder, Issue No. 642

NSindex link

Option 1 establishes "The Children Of @@LEADER@@", a group that encourages children to "sing songs [about the leader], to swear allegiance to the flag, to camp in the wilderness, maybe how to clean and shoot a rifle."

My nation had no previously passed gun legislation, and did not have a mandatory pledge of allegiance.

It resulted in a couple of unexpected changes:
50% increase in drug usage
21.5% increase in civil rights

0.21% decrease in authoritarianism
0.7% decrease in ideological radicality
0.39% decrease in social conservatism
0.48% decrease in law enforcement
3.7% decrease in charmlessness

Setting up a youth group dedicated to the leader seems pretty nationalistic, so these effects seem to be the opposite of what they should be. This is definitely not good for civil rights. The change in drug usage is entirely unexpected, because there is no clear link between this option and any effect on how much people use drugs. It seems like this option might have been confused with Option 3, which does not establish a youth group, and so would have the exact opposite effect of Option 1.

Also, the first post on this thread contains a misplaced space. "An option that reduces the market share that goes to the black market but which grows the economy as a whole could result in the absolute market size of the black market increasing, even as you decrease the black market's proportional prominence int he economy."

Western Day
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Day » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:00 pm

Yirophia wrote:Curiously, this morning Yirophia somehow managed to raise "taxation" and "freedom from taxation" at the same time.

I didn't think to take note of the issue name or number, but the option I picked gave me this outcome for the flavour text: "13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Yirophia, motorists must pay to enter inner-cities during peak hours."

That would be Issue 102, For Whom The Road Tolls, Option 1.

Cascadiana
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 17, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Cascadiana » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:55 am

Nation name: Cascadiana
Date: 4 Jan 2020
Issue number / Name: : #828 "Your Execution In 30 Years Or Less Or You're Free"

Selected Option #1

Effect increased crime (.75%)

Yirophia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yirophia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 am

https://nsindex.net/wiki/NationStates_Issue_No._341

Picking the option to just give everyone ID chips increased black market size. Notably, this didn't actually ban anything, only made it much easier to enforce the law, as well as instrument other interventions like saving people lost in the woods like the titular girl.
Meme political axis chart thing (really not reflective of my opinions on capitalism vs. communism and regulationism vs. laissez-faire due to poor question framing on the test's part in those areas)

A father says to his son, "see you tomorrow, next month, next year, next decade, next century, and next millennium." Five minutes later he sees his son again and everything he said is true. They're amid celebrating the incoming new year 3000.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:50 am

Western Day wrote:- Western Day
- Happened today
- This Way's Kinder, Issue No. 642

NSindex link

Option 1 establishes "The Children Of @@LEADER@@", a group that encourages children to "sing songs [about the leader], to swear allegiance to the flag, to camp in the wilderness, maybe how to clean and shoot a rifle."

My nation had no previously passed gun legislation, and did not have a mandatory pledge of allegiance.

It resulted in a couple of unexpected changes:
50% increase in drug usage
21.5% increase in civil rights

0.21% decrease in authoritarianism
0.7% decrease in ideological radicality
0.39% decrease in social conservatism
0.48% decrease in law enforcement
3.7% decrease in charmlessness

Setting up a youth group dedicated to the leader seems pretty nationalistic, so these effects seem to be the opposite of what they should be. This is definitely not good for civil rights. The change in drug usage is entirely unexpected, because there is no clear link between this option and any effect on how much people use drugs. It seems like this option might have been confused with Option 3, which does not establish a youth group, and so would have the exact opposite effect of Option 1.

The changes you describe are a knock-on effect of a small increase in gun freedoms. Other freedoms that would have been suppressed were -- for you -- already at the minimum level.

Also, the first post on this thread contains a misplaced space. "An option that reduces the market share that goes to the black market but which grows the economy as a whole could result in the absolute market size of the black market increasing, even as you decrease the black market's proportional prominence int he economy."

Thanks will fix.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:58 am

Cascadiana wrote:Nation name: Cascadiana
Date: 4 Jan 2020
Issue number / Name: : #828 "Your Execution In 30 Years Or Less Or You're Free"

Selected Option #1

Effect increased crime (.75%)

That's correct and expected.

Firstly, there's an absence of evidence that increased harshness of punishment has any deterrent effect on crime, so there's no justification from crime decrease.

Second, a government that expedites executions on the basis of financial expediency and convenience rather than on the notion of justice is one that is acting with less kindness and compassion towards it's people. The simulation doesn't divide between the compassion of government and the compassion of its people, instead assuming a sort of "trickle down" of callousness from the top, which in turn results in a small increase in criminality.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:58 am

Yirophia wrote:https://nsindex.net/wiki/NationStates_Issue_No._341

Picking the option to just give everyone ID chips increased black market size. Notably, this didn't actually ban anything, only made it much easier to enforce the law, as well as instrument other interventions like saving people lost in the woods like the titular girl.

Please state the nation used, and the date the issue was picked.

Yirophia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yirophia » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:00 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Yirophia wrote:https://nsindex.net/wiki/NationStates_Issue_No._341

Please state the nation used, and the date the issue was picked.

This one, the day I posted.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:36 am

Let's have a look.

The option in question implants mandatory GPS trackers in every citizen, allowing the government to track their movements. The stats look to be in keeping with this.

Black Market Size specifically is a stat that is sensitive to a wide number of factors, and is the endpoint of a complex calculation. The changes you experienced were in keeping with the code assigned to this issue option.

I can't draw the links for you between the stats effected and Black Market without revealing more of the game engine than is permitted, but this looks to be working as intended.

Yirophia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yirophia » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Let's have a look.

The option in question implants mandatory GPS trackers in every citizen, allowing the government to track their movements. The stats look to be in keeping with this.

Black Market Size specifically is a stat that is sensitive to a wide number of factors, and is the endpoint of a complex calculation. The changes you experienced were in keeping with the code assigned to this issue option.

I can't draw the links for you between the stats effected and Black Market without revealing more of the game engine than is permitted, but this looks to be working as intended.

It's a fancy nation simulator game for fun, not a nuclear launch system. In real life there's armies worth of economists, statistical analysts, and other technocrats at the ready to tell the political class, at least broadly, what effects a policy can be expected to bring about and why.

... I mean, they don't listen to the people who actually know these things, most of the time, but still.

Transbiansylvania
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Issue regarding drug dealing arrest despite legal drugs

Postby Transbiansylvania » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 am

Today I responded to dilemma=724, Your Stuff Is Forfeit. The crux of the issue is that a man's massive mansion is seized under property forfeiture laws after his nephew was arrested for dealing drugs. That isn't a crime in my nation, and I have handled specific issues legalizing not just common 'soft' drugs, but also 'hard' drugs like heroin and methamphetamine. I understand that drug law is not the primary subject in question, but this still shouldn't pop up with that particular cause for arrest if I have legalized all substances, yesno?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:37 am

Transbiansylvania wrote:Issue regarding drug dealing arrest despite legal drugs

Questions relating to issues behavior belong in this thread, not the Technical forum. Merged.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:49 am

Yirophia wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Let's have a look.

It's a fancy nation simulator game for fun, not a nuclear launch system. In real life there's armies worth of economists, statistical analysts, and other technocrats at the ready to tell the political class, at least broadly, what effects a policy can be expected to bring about and why.

... I mean, they don't listen to the people who actually know these things, most of the time, but still.

Nonetheless, we all agree to certain disclosure rules when we sign up to the various volunteer roles, so this discussion is closed.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:52 am

Transbiansylvania wrote:Today I responded to dilemma=724, Your Stuff Is Forfeit. The crux of the issue is that a man's massive mansion is seized under property forfeiture laws after his nephew was arrested for dealing drugs. That isn't a crime in my nation, and I have handled specific issues legalizing not just common 'soft' drugs, but also 'hard' drugs like heroin and methamphetamine. I understand that drug law is not the primary subject in question, but this still shouldn't pop up with that particular cause for arrest if I have legalized all substances, yesno?

This issue already has a validity check excluding nations where all drugs are legal. So actually, your nation does have some illegal drugs, you just weren't aware of it.

Checking your stats, your nation is very liberal towards drugs, but nowhere near the extreme of all drugs being legal. It's possible that at some stage historically you legalised all drugs, but then subsequently legislated some restrictions on.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?