NATION

PASSWORD

List of Nations & Tribes (Sept. 14, 2017 — Nov. 17, 2023)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 am

So... we've known for a while that #266 Breaching the Great Fourth Wall of @@NAME@@ was inspired by the XKCD map of the internet (the last option explicitly references an "XKCD survey map"), but I somehow managed to miss before that NationStates is actually on that map (it's on the southeastern end of the MMO Isle, next to the Gulf of Lag). With this in mind, we can make more sense of the nations it references.

1. "Stalclaft" is a reference to Starcraft II, found a short distance to the west of (but not immediately bordering) NationStates. The "particular gaseous resource that could prove profitable for us" is a reference to vespene gas, a fictional resource from the game that's so famous it ended up naming the trope. The fact "the place is a war zone" should hopefully be obvious.

2. "Cea-Dicee" is a reference to CDC Games, found on the map as a large island separated from NationStates only by a very narrow channel. It's a company mainly running several Chinese MMORPGs that, despite the island's size, seem to be fairly obscure in the English-speaking world. However, the presence of EVE Online on the island is a clue. According to Wikipedia, EVE Online isn't actually from CDC Games, but had a licensing agreement with CDC games until 2011 - and the map is from 2010. So that's what's being referenced. EVE Online is a fairly well-known space simulator, so that explains the "what little we do know about them implies that they have SPACESHIPS". (Interesting to note is that spaceships weren't brought up with Starcraft II. While the game takes place in a science fiction setting, the gameplay focusses on land battles rather than space ones, with spaceships appearing more in story cutscenes or as maps than as units you control in gameplay.)

3. "Subspais" is probably a reference to SubSpace, a space-based shooter. It is unclear to me why the XKCD map depicts it as underwater, though it may have to do with the fact that, according to Wikipedia, the company owning it collapsed, and "independent user-run servers became the only choice for hosting zones". Combined with being one of the earlist MMO-like games, the notion of it being "ancient ruins" holding a treasure trove of historical knowledge (and more applicable science, since it's still a science-fiction setting) feels apt.

4. "Uoeq" is actually an island on the map containing two separate territories, the larger UO (probably Ultima Online) on the west and the smaller EQ (probably EverQuest) on the east. There's a mistake in the issue (as last reported): it claims Uoeq to be to the west, whereas this island is in fact to the east of NationStates on the map. "Sekonlif" is of course Second Life, placed on the other side of the Gulf of Lag from NationStates. None of these three games are referenced beyond their names, instead being treated as generic victims.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 am

Holy cow! I had no idea this was actually a thing! :rofl:

Thank you so much, Trotterdam. :D
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Kalaascovy
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaascovy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:26 am

Question related to the NPC Nations.
Are you able to create your own NPC for an issue or is that heavily frowned upon? As I got an issue idea which doesn’t work at all with any of the existing NPC nations (The issue will be related to animal testing which is to a very, very severe caliber).
The Syndicalist Union of Kalaascovy
The Antarctic Cold Truly is the Heart of Freedom

A nation which birthed itself in a civil war out of the decaying Empire of Kromerov, it resides in a fictional Polynesian island chain near Antarctica in the continent of Balugata during the 2040s. It is known for its radical politics, high Human Development Index, and devotion to local autonomy. Allies with Rohendia and keeps friendly relations with North Rohendia
Ignored policies: Capitalism, Compulsory Organ Harvesting

A bored college age lad who is trying to get into Cyber Security. Known commonly as Hussar with friends.

I speak Light Polish

[Ⓐ]

And I am so gay

Please check out my puppet Kromerov for what we used to be.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 am

Kalaascovy wrote:Question related to the NPC Nations.
Are you able to create your own NPC for an issue or is that heavily frowned upon? As I got an issue idea which doesn’t work at all with any of the existing NPC nations (The issue will be related to animal testing which is to a very, very severe caliber).
Didn't I field a question like this, like, last week?
Trotterdam wrote:Yes. Most of them were originally made by players (except the few from the original Max Barry issues). Usually we prefer to use an existing NPC nation that matches our needs, where possible, but there's no rule against coming up with a new one if you feel none of the existing ones are quite right. There are several NPC nations that only appear in one or a few issues.

Kalaascovy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaascovy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:36 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Kalaascovy wrote:Question related to the NPC Nations.
Didn't I field a question like this, like, last week?
Trotterdam wrote:Yes. Most of them were originally made by players (except the few from the original Max Barry issues). Usually we prefer to use an existing NPC nation that matches our needs, where possible, but there's no rule against coming up with a new one if you feel none of the existing ones are quite right. There are several NPC nations that only appear in one or a few issues.

Sorry about that, I seem to have missed that post. But I thought it would be better to post it in this thread than make a new thing which it why i’m asking here :p

A nation which birthed itself in a civil war out of the decaying Empire of Kromerov, it resides in a fictional Polynesian island chain near Antarctica in the continent of Balugata during the 2040s. It is known for its radical politics, high Human Development Index, and devotion to local autonomy. Allies with Rohendia and keeps friendly relations with North Rohendia

A bored college age lad who is trying to get into Cyber Security. Known commonly as Hussar with friends.

I speak Light Polish

[Ⓐ]

And I am so gay

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Yeah, I'll go ahead and add that to the OP for future reference. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Kalaascovy wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Didn't I field a question like this, like, last week?

Sorry about that, I seem to have missed that post. But I thought it would be better to post it in this thread than make a new thing which it why i’m asking here :p

To expand on this, sometimes editors will even tell authors to create a new NPC nation for the draft. For example, you can take a look at my drafting thread for #610 Only @@LEADER Could Go To Dàguó where I originally used Marche Noir, but was told to create a new NPC nation for it. So I worked with the editors and other players in the thread to create that NPC nation.

There's really no resistance amongst most people in creating new NPC nations and such so long as it serves a purpose. If it doesn't need to be created (like if it would be better suited to an existing NPC nation), than don't create it. That's about it.
See You Space Cowboy...

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 pm

One final caveat on the creating new nations list: at this point creating a superpower is frowned upon. This is both because @@NAME@@ seems to be assumed to be a great power by the very least, and because we have 960 issues here and yet none of the seemed to have mentioned what surely would be a massive and influential force on foreign policy. If you need a big foreign power, then you're pretty much going to have to use an existing NPC nation (which is fine because a bunch of them are clearly massive countries).
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Eh. Wezeltonia was suddenly sprung on us as as a power bold enough to invade your nation, and they've barely even appeared since. I think there's room for another superpower that's just flown under the radar because it hasn't been very interested in @@NAME@@'s affairs recently.

Sure, not something to throw in carelessly, but it can be done if you have a reason for it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Well, I have a project I might be working on that could use a superpower, fairly soon... just gotta think about if it'll even work. :P

Kalaascovy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaascovy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:25 am

Alright, thought i’d make an outline of the country i’m looking for with my intended scenario. The country is Polytheistic and fairly religious. Relatively scientifically advanced nation who have an obsession about replicating their gods (which are FYI, animals that having human characteristics). As they see it, if they can make a suitable body for their gods, then the gods will possess that body and walk amongst it’s believers (these experiments are considered a crime against humanity, God, Animals, and everything natural). They also want to live in a replicated body similar to a god’s (in reference to the issue that lets you upload your brain to a computer and kinda a Frankenstein inspiration). It’s not a major power in any way, and it’s an island nation which has native tribes who have their own gods and another group of peoples from an unnamed mainland who have their own gods.
I was originally going to use the Taiwan reference NPC but there was some contradictions which I noted which doesn’t exactly fit the intended issue.
Last edited by Kalaascovy on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

I speak Light Polish

[Ⓐ]

And I am so gay

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 am

Kalaascovy wrote:Alright, thought i’d make an outline of the country i’m looking for with my intended scenario. The country is Polytheistic and fairly religious. Relatively scientifically advanced nation who have an obsession about replicating their gods (which are FYI, animals that having human characteristics). As they see it, if they can make a suitable body for their gods, then the gods will possess that body and walk amongst it’s believers (these experiments are considered a crime against humanity, God, Animals, and everything natural). It’s not a major power in any way, and it’s an island nation which has natives tribes who have their own gods and another group of peoples from an unnamed mainland who have their own gods.
I was originally going to use the Taiwan reference NPC originally but there was some contradictions which I noted which doesn’t exactly fit the intended issue.
Meh. Why something so specific, and why is it @@NAME@@'s business?

The more crazy you make their motives for animal experimentation sound, the less likely players are to sympathize with them. Nobody in real life is doing this particular thing, so it's pretty out there.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 am

Trotterdam wrote:Eh. Wezeltonia was suddenly sprung on us as as a power bold enough to invade your nation, and they've barely even appeared since. I think there's room for another superpower that's just flown under the radar because it hasn't been very interested in @@NAME@@'s affairs recently.

Sure, not something to throw in carelessly, but it can be done if you have a reason for it.

Wezeltonia is clearly based off Argentina during the Falklands war there. Hardly a major power.

Kalaascovy wrote:Alright, thought i’d make an outline of the country i’m looking for with my intended scenario. The country is Polytheistic and fairly religious. Relatively scientifically advanced nation who have an obsession about replicating their gods (which are FYI, animals that having human characteristics). As they see it, if they can make a suitable body for their gods, then the gods will possess that body and walk amongst it’s believers (these experiments are considered a crime against humanity, God, Animals, and everything natural). They also want to live in a replicated body similar to a god’s (in reference to the issue that lets you upload your brain to a computer and kinda a Frankenstein inspiration). It’s not a major power in any way, and it’s an island nation which has native tribes who have their own gods and another group of peoples from an unnamed mainland who have their own gods.
I was originally going to use the Taiwan reference NPC but there was some contradictions which I noted which doesn’t exactly fit the intended issue.

That's an incredibly specific set of things for this country. Just focus on one aspect for the upcoming issue draft and keep it there.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Kalaascovy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaascovy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:53 am

Trotterdam wrote:Meh. Why something so specific, and why is it @@NAME@@'s business?

The more crazy you make their motives for animal experimentation sound, the less likely players are to sympathize with them. Nobody in real life is doing this particular thing, so it's pretty out there.

Intended intro issue for them would be about if @@NAME@@ should intervene, embargo, or maybe try to turn a blind eye in exchange for some goods from a scientific country. Pluuuus a Frankenstein’s Monster issue with a doctor from this country was intended for a later date (this second idea I’ll admit is mostly and literally from a fever dream). Also the whole “crime against god, humanity, and all that is natural” part is mostly my dry humour after I reread Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy taking over (this is also in part due to the immense objection in my country about the idea you could clone something, so this is the same idea for the objection). I intend to build the country, not have it all come down in one issue.

Chan Island wrote:That's an incredibly specific set of things for this country. Just focus on one aspect for the upcoming issue draft and keep it there.

Like I said, county will be one step at a time. Not all together. I just want to build them with related issues

I speak Light Polish

[Ⓐ]

And I am so gay

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:00 am

Well, note that issues are rarely built around the NPC nations, and rather NPC nations are built around the issues they're made in.

That's not to say you can't get a general idea; often times, they're based on irl nations, in fact,
but the issue comes first, then the nation lore.

Take, for instance, Wezeltonia! Great example.
Their first issue had them taking land from you for having such a pathetic military
(I think; if so then they'd hardly need to be a superpower), with their second appearance referencing a war.
Their third appearance, on the other hand, involved someone trading you their coffee beans. :rofl:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:16 am

Updated Brancaland, Bigtopia, and Blackacre - the Three Big B's. ;)

Seriously though somehow I forgot that I was supposed to do that after issue 955. All updated — I hope. <:D

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Large update thanks to a few new issues, 917's discovery, and #971: Ambassadors Inextraordinary.

Quite surprised that Blackacre and Bigtopia weren't mentioned in there, but Brasilistan and Wezeltonia were. Very interesting.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat May 05, 2018 1:22 am

. West Calypso has been introduced as a place where at least one person has drugs illegal in @@NAME@@ (in issue 985, Service With A Snarl).
Last edited by Chan Island on Sat May 05, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu May 10, 2018 7:49 am

Gotta say, I'm loving the amount of appearances Brasilistan's been making. :3

New Ciencia
Attaché

Founded: Feb 18, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby New Ciencia » Tue May 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Is there a specific nation the main World Assembly building is based in?
FOR SCIENCE!!!
Generation 13. The first time you see this copy and paste it into your own signature (and increment the number by 1).
We use NS stats and all policies, EXCEPT:
Tax Rate, Disposable Income
No Sports
For: SCIENCE!, Innovation, Transhumanism, Space Exploration
Against: Anti-Intellectualism, Luddism, Primitivism
A 13.71 civilization, according to this index.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 22, 2018 5:27 pm

That... is...

a very interesting question... :rofl:

Uh... anyone got an answer to that? Is it free to be added canonically, or restricted to forever be unknown?

If it's not here, you could possibly even play off of it by have every speaker in your issue think it's based in a different country...
I'd have no idea how that'd work, but it'd be funny if it could be pulled off. :rofl:

Pogaria
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pogaria » Tue May 22, 2018 5:31 pm

New Ciencia wrote:Is there a specific nation the main World Assembly building is based in?

I don't think we've ever specified that, to my recollection.
FYI: Pogaria is pronounced like puh-GAIR-ee-uh

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 pm

New Ciencia wrote:Is there a specific nation the main World Assembly building is based in?

I can't remember the exact spelling, but I believe there is a place called 'Genieve' or 'Genove' or something like that that is mentioned in connection with the WA. I can't now for the dear life of me remember what the exact word was, nor could I even begin to remember which issue it came up in connection with, but it is in the issues base. Somewhere.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 23, 2018 1:05 am

Couldn't find any mention, but you've given me a great issue idea.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 am

Jutsa wrote:Mostly fixed it up! I still need to alphabeticalize things, but I don't have enough time atm.

In Microsoft word you can alphabetise in about ten seconds
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?