NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] The Bottom Of The Gun Barrel

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] The Bottom Of The Gun Barrel

Postby Singapore no2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:39 am

[desc] It's harvesting season in @@NAME@@, and farms all over the country are starved of manpower. Apparently, as every able-bodied adult and child has been conscripted into the army, the agricultural sector has unable to find enough temporary workers, forcing many farms to downsize operations. Government analysts are warning that the sector could suffer greatly if the manpower shortage increases.

[validity] Only valid for nations where all adults and children serve in the army, and that have a large military, and that have an agricultural sector.

[option] "Please reduce the conscription rate," pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, the manager of a relatively large farm, clearly afraid of losing @@HIS@@ position. "We only have a dozen employees left, and some of them don't even know how to operate basic machinery. If you could exempt people who have experience working on farms from the draft, our sector will be saved. Remember, an army marches on its stomach, so supporting us will help the military as well."
[effect] citizens avoid the draft by claiming that they drove a tractor before

[option] "That's not enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a former economist, marching into your office. "The military is a wasteful organization, producing nothing and consuming resources like there's no tomorrow. As you can see, it's already reached its physical limits, and continuing to support it will result in the eventual collapse of our entire economy. I therefore insist that you scrap conscription laws, and limit the army to volunteers."
[effect] unemployment has shot up dramatically as most of the army has been suddenly disbanded

[option] "Insubordination!" yells General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, waving @@HIS@@ fist agitatedly. "How can you suggest that we leave our borders defenceless? With all of the threats facing our nation, we really can't afford fire any of our soldiers. There is of course another avaliable source of manpower that has been overlooked. If it is absolutely necessary, the disabled and the elderly can be made to work in the fields. The agricultural sector can put to rest any claims of ableism or ageism, and we get to maintain our army size."
[effect] injured front-line troops are forced to work in the fields
[desc] With every able-bodied adult and child conscripted into the army, arms manufacturing industrial output has begun to decline. Industry observers warn that the dropping military factory production might leave soldiers ill-equipped or worse, unarmed.

[validity] Only valid for nations where all adults and children serve in the army, and that have a large military

[option] "You should reduce the conscription rate," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a military engineer, who is examining a blueprint. "It won't be any use having a massive army if they don't have anything to fight with, after all. Skilled engineers, researchers and workers should be exempted from the draft, and put to inventing and producing new weapons and armour. That should solve manpower woes in the industry."
[effect] the army is facing a serious shortage of skilled labour

[option] "That's not enough!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a former economist, marching into your office. "The military is a wasteful organization, producing nothing and consuming resources like there's no tomorrow. As you can see, it's already reached its physical limits, and continuing to support it will result in the eventual collapse of our economy. I therefore insist that you scrap conscription laws, and limit the army to volunteers."
[effect] the military–industrial complex has collapsed overnight

[option] "Insubordination!" yells General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, waving @@HIS@@ fist agitatedly. "The arms industry currently hires plenty of people, and firing them would hurt the economy! All we have to do is to make the disabled and the elderly work in our weapons factories, and our arms production will increase. As an added bonus, we can finally put to rest any claims of ableism or ageism in the industrial sector."
[effect] injured front-line troops are forced to work in factories
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 am

Seems pretty similar to #810.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:13 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Seems pretty similar to #810.

It's about insufficient manpower, but I can see why it would appear similar.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm

and to continuing to support it
Option 2: I think you meant either "and continuing" or "and to continue". :lol2:

ablelism or ageism in the industrial sector."
Option 3: ableism*

It appears to be another good draft, Sing#2, and one that I think raises a very good point. :)

Something I should point out, however, is the matter of reserved forces - those that do other things until they're called back in.
Now, this poses a problem as I don't think NS really cares about active vs. inactive troops, so I don't think you can just have a "must have highly active troops" stat.
To be honest, that'd probably solve everything. :P

It could very well be fine as-is anyway, but I just wanted to point that out, just in case it does prove to complicate things a bit. Good luck! :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Jutsa wrote:It could very well be fine as-is anyway, but I just wanted to point that out, just in case it does prove to complicate things a bit. Good luck! :)

Thanks! I think that the validity is fine though, because manpower includes active and inactive troops.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:13 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Seems pretty similar to #810.

It's about insufficient manpower, but I can see why it would appear similar.

Sure. Maybe clarify this by taking out the emphasis on arms manufacture, and instead make it about a shortage in a wholly civilian industry with high levels of labour needed.

For example, it could be about fruit-picking season, when there's a sudden spike in demand for labour, where conscription could leave an employment shortfall.

The only problem with this, of course, is that there is an Employment stat that could reveal that this narrative is false, so you'd need to phrase it carefully.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:00 am

I think a title change is in order. Please suggest.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:make it about a shortage in a wholly civilian industry with high levels of labour needed.

Made it vaguely about the agricultural sector.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The only problem with this, of course, is that there is an Employment stat that could reveal that this narrative is false, so you'd need to phrase it carefully.

I made it clear that it was about manpower.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 am

I like the title as-is. There are a couple of other, somewhat-similar-sounding titles, but I really think this works beautifully for this issue. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 am

Hmm. Either something referencing swords and ploughs or some play on the double meaning of the word arms would be my suggestion.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 am

Jutsa wrote:I like the title as-is.

Since I can't think of anything more suitable, I think I'll leave it in it's current form.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:09 am

Anything else to change?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:53 am

I think it’s submittable
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?