NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED]Clasp of Controversy

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

[SUBMITTED]Clasp of Controversy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Current Draft: 4.0
This time for sure! It is something new, I hope it's good.

[the issue]Justin Sain, the young and charismatic leader of Brancaland, refused to shake your hand following a meeting of world leaders, to the chagrin of many in the Foreign Affairs and Defense departments.. While the Brancalandian embassy insists that Sain simply didn't see you, many in the Foreign Affairs and Defense departments suggest that it was a political statement designed to undermine @@NAME@@ on the global stage.

[validity]all nations

[option 1]"How dare he?!" screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, an irate Foreign Affairs official, as @@HE@@ viciously tears apart photos of Justin Sain. "I don't give a damn about any of the hogwash Brancaland is releasing- all it is is, well, hogwash! There is no possible way Justin Sain did not see you! It was a personal attack on you, @@LEADER@@! He is aware that offending you offends all @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@! Therefore, he must know the full consequences of his actions, and that is a slight against @@DEMONYM@@kind! Demand an apology from Brancaland!' he pauses as a somewhat concerning grin spreads on his face, "or else," he finishes.
[fallout]foreigners who do not watch @@LEADER@@'s speeches are immediately placed on the terrorist watch list

[option 2]"Charming young man, that Justin Sain is," coos your mostly-blind grandmother, while knitting you a too-small sweater. "Of course he couldn't see you; the clothing you wear is far too easy to miss! Why not wear some more noticeable colors? You should, as the leader, not to mention my grandchild, wear an outfit that matches the national flag! And over it, you could wear this beautiful sweater I just made you!" She beams at the wall behind you and hands the sweater to the air she thinks is you. "All yours, honey," she finishes.
[fallout]the nation leads @@REGION@@ in intricately-patterned sweater sales

[option 3]"Everyone needs to relax," murmurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Diplomatic Solutions, as @@HE@@ agrees to a draw in a chess match with your intern. "@@LEADER@@, I think Justin Sain was trying to make a political statement, but instead of blowing your stack at Brancaland, why not sit down with Mr. Sain? After all, he may have had a bad day, considering his expression! Make him understand we aren't enemies of Brancaland, and history will thank you. Angry responses never solved anything."
[fallout]@@LEADER@@ has a bizarre habit of bringing psychiatrists to meetings with foreign heads of state

[option 4]"You aren't addressing the real problem!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, an infamous germophobe, from behind a gas mask. @@HE@@ retreats from the corner of the office furthest from you before continuing, "Handshakes are gross and unsanitary! You and Justin Sain both have over three thousand germs on your hands, and all you're doing is transferring ones you might be immune to to the other! Frankly, you should be thanking Sain for not passing his germs to you! @@LEADER@@, you need to mandate proper hygienic practices- nothing ridiculous, just washing your hands very carefully every ten minutes. Make sure there's free dispensers on every corner!" @@HE@@ runs out of your office with a bar of soap.
[fallout]@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ who neglect to wash their hands four hundred times a day are immediately quarantined.

[the issue][the issue]Justin Sain, the young and charismatic leader of Brancaland, refused to shake your hand following a meeting of world leaders, outraging many of @@NAME@@'s citizens. While the Brancalandian embassy insists that Sain simply didn't see you, many in the Foreign Affairs and Defense departments suggest that it was a political statement designed to undermine @@NAME@@ on the global stage.

[validity]all nations

[option 1]"How dare he?!" screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, an irate Foreign Affairs official, as @@HE@@ viciously tears apart photos of Justin Sain. "I don't give a damn about any of the hogwash Brancaland is releasing- all it is is, well, hogwash! There is no possible way Justin Sain did not see you; he was making an anti-@@DEMONYM@@ statement! Demand an apology from that man, @@LEADER@@! He knows that when he insults you, he insults all @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, and he needs to know that @@NAME@@ demands respect!"
[fallout]foreigners who do not watch @@LEADER@@'s speeches are immediately placed on the terrorist watch list.

[option 2]]"Charming young man, that Justin Sain is," coos your mostly-blind grandmother, while knitting you a too-small sweater. "Of course he couldn't see you; the clothing you wear is far too easy to miss! Why not wear some more noticeable colors? You should, as the leader, not to mention my grandchild, wear an outfit that matches the national flag! And over it, you could wear this beautiful sweater I just made you!" She beams at the wall behind you and hands the sweater to the air she thinks is you. "All yours, honey," she finishes.
[fallout]the nation leads @@REGION@@ in intricately-patterned sweater sales.

[option 3]"Everyone needs to relax," murmurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Diplomatic Solutions, as @@HE@@ agrees to a draw in a chess match with your intern. "@@LEADER@@, I think Justin Sain was trying to make a political statement, but instead of blowing your stack at Brancaland, why not sit down with Mr. Sain? Make him understand we aren't enemies of Brancaland, and history will thank you. Angry responses never solved anything."

[option 4]You aren't addressing the real problem!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, an infamous germophobe, from behind a gas mask. @@HE@@ retreats from the corner of the office furthest from you before continuing, "Handshakes are gross and unsanitary! You and Justin Sain both have over three thousand germs on your hands, and all you're doing is transferring ones you might be immune to to the other! Frankly, you should be thanking Sain for not passing his germs to you! @@LEADER@@, you need to mandate proper hygienic practices- nothing ridiculous, just washing your hands very carefully every ten minutes. Make sure there's free dispensers on every corner!" @@HE@@ runs out of your office with a bar of soap.
[fallout]@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ who neglect to wash their hands four hundred times a day are immediately quarantined.

[the issue]Justin Sain, the young and charismatic leader of Brancaland, refused to shake your hand following a meeting of world leaders, outraging many of @@NAME@@'s patriotic citizens. While the Brancalandian embassy insists that Sain simply didn't see you, many in the Foreign Affairs and Defense departments suggest that it was a political statement.

[validity]all nations

[option 1]"This is completely unacceptable!" screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, irate Foreign Affairs official, as @@HE@@ watches the footage of the missed handshake for the umpteenth time. "I don't care whatever claptrap those filthy Brancalandians say, this was a political statement meant to delegitimize the government of @@NAME@@! That's the type of thing Marche Noirian leader Otto Kratt would do. Otto Kratt! @@LEADER@@, you must demand an apology from Sain! You're the face of the nation, @@LEADER@@- you won't take a slight like this if you have any honor at all!
[fallout]foreigners who neglect to say the @@TYPE@@ when speaking about @@NAME@@ are assumed to be spies.

[option 2]"Charming young man, that Justin Sain is," coos your mostly-blind grandmother, while knitting you a too-small sweater. "Of course he didn't see you; you aren't noticeable enough in the clothing you wear! Why not wear some more noticeable colors? You should, as the leader, not to mention my grandchild, wear an outfit that matches the national flag! And over it, you could wear this beautiful sweater I just made you!" She beams at the wall behind you and drops the sweater next to you. "All yours, honey," she finishes.
[fallout]@@LEADER@@ looks like an uncomfortable walking flag

[option 3]"You aren't addressing the real problem!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, an infamous germophobe, from behind a gas mask. @@HE@@ retreats from the corner of the office furthest from you before continuing, "Handshakes are gross and unsanitary! You and Justin Sain both have over three thousand germs on your hands, and all you're doing is transferring ones you might be immune to to the other! Frankly, you should be thanking Sain for not passing his germs to you! @@LEADER@@, ban this and other unsanitary practices like it! Save our bodies!
[fallout]sex has been outlawed as the government cracks down on all forms of physical contact.

[option 4]"Everyone needs to relax," murmurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Diplomatic Solutions, as @@HE@@ agrees to a draw in a chess match with your intern. "@@LEADER@@, I think Justin Sain was trying to make a political statement, but instead of getting angry at Brancaland, why not sit down with Mr. Sain? Make him understand we aren't enemies of Brancaland, and history will thank you. Getting angry never solved anything."
[fallout]Toddlers fighting over toys are expected to reach a peaceful agreement through their own negotiation.

[the issue]Otto Kratt, the authoritarian leader of Marche Noir, refused to shake your hand following a meeting of world leaders, outraging many of @@NAME@@'s patriotic citizens. While the Marche Noirian embassy insists that Kratt simply didn't see you, many in the foreign affairs and defense departments suggest that it was a political statement.

[validity]all nations

[option 1]"THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!" shouts angered Foreign Affairs Official @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ watches the film of the missing handshake for the umpteenth time. "I don't care whatever clap-trap those Marche Noirian animals claim, this was clearly a political statement by Otto Kratt to undermine our authority! We must send a strongly-worded letter demanding an apology from Kratt! You're the face of the nation @@LEADER@@, this is a slight to @@NAME@@ just as much as it is to you!"
[fallout]foreigners who neglect to say the @@TYPE@@ when speaking about @@NAME@@ are assumed to be spies.

[option 2]"Frankly, that doesn't go far enough!" exclaims General @@RANDOMNAME@@ while setting fire to a picture of Otto Kratt. "Marche Noir is never going to back down, or even admit that it was a political statement! Well guess what? We can answer with a few political statements of our own! Very explosive political statements. Drop a few bombs on those animals and they'll be begging for mercy. NO ONE INSULTS @@NAME@@ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!"
[fallout]foreign countries that don't reach trade agreements with @@NAME@@ are immediately bombed to oblivion.

[option 3]"Wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong!" says germophobe @@RANDOMNAME@@ from behind a gas mask. @@HE@@ retreats to the corner furthest from you before continuing, "Handshakes are gross and unhygienic! You have 20 million germs on your hand, you want to transfer those to someone else? Frankly, you should be thanking Otto Kratt for not shaking your hand! @@LEADER@@ ban this practice that causes widespread disease!"
[fallout]sex has been outlawed following the government's ban of human contact.

[option 4]"Everyone needs to relax," says your Minister of Diplomatic Solutions @@RANDOMNAME@@ while agreeing to a draw in chess with @@HER@@ intern. "@@LEADER@@, I agree that Otto Kratt was making a political statement, but instead of attacking him or banning handshakes, just talk to him and convince him to respect you more. Speak to him and be reasonable, and history will thank you.
[fallout]diplomatic relations with sworn enemies of the nation have had disastrous results.
Last edited by Fauxia on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:40 am

Fauxia wrote:This time for sure! It is something new, I hope it's good.
[the issue]Otto Kratt, the authoritarian leader of Marche Noir, refused to shake your hand following a meeting of world leaders, outraging many of @@NAME@@'s patriotic citizens. While the Marche Noirian embassy insists that Kratt simply didn't see you, many in the foreign affairs and defense departments suggest that it was a political statement.

[validity]all nations

[option 1]"THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!" shouts angered Foreign Affairs Official @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ watches the film of the missing handshake for the umpteenth time. "I don't care whatever clap-trap those Marche Noirian animals claim, this was clearly a political statement by Otto Kratt to undermine our authority! We must send a strongly-worded letter demanding an apology from Kratt! You're the face of the nation @@LEADER@@, this is a slight to @@NAME@@ just as much as it is to you!"

[option 2]"Frankly, that doesn't go far enough!" exclaims General @@RANDOMNAME@@ while setting fire to a picture of Otto Kratt. "Marche Noir is never going to back down, or even admit that it was a political statement! Well guess what? We can answer with a few political statements of our own! Very explosive political statements. Drop a few bombs on those animals and they'll be begging for mercy. NO ONE INSULTS @@NAME@@ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!"
[fallout]foreign countries that don't reach trade agreements with @@NAME@@ are immediately bombed to oblivion.

[option 3]"Wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong!" says germophobe @@RANDOMNAME@@ from behind a gas mask. @@HE@@ retreats to the corner furthest from you before continuing, "Handshakes are gross and unhygienic! You have 20 million germs on your hand, you want to transfer those to someone else? Frankly, you should be thanking Otto Kratt for not shaking your hand! @@LEADER@@ ban this practice that causes widespread disease!"

[option 4]"Everyone needs to relax," says your Minister of Diplomatic Solutions @@RANDOMNAME@@ while agreeing to a draw in chess with @@HER@@ intern. "@@LEADER@@, I agree that Otto Kratt was making a political statement, but instead of attacking him or banning handshakes, just talk to him and convince him to respect you more. Speak to him and be reasonable, and history will thank you.
[fallout]Diplomatic relations with sworn enemies of the nation have had disastrous results.

This is a very nice issue, and I am glad that Otto Kratt from Issue 731 is making a comeback. It is also well-executed, and I think you have a nice balanced distribution of options. One technical point to add would be that the fallout of Option 4 should begin with a lower-case letter.

Content-wise, I have only one possible criticism to make. If @@NAME@@ is a nation that respects civil and political rights, would the leader of @@NAME@@ be insulted when an autocrat refuses to shake his/her hand? Imagine you attend a meeting and Robert Mugabe refuses to shake your hand. Would you be insulted? I would be more proud of myself than be insulted by it. In fact, I would be seriously concerned about my reputation as a democratic leader if the autocratic leader of another country seemed to be on very friendly terms with me. (Precisely what Trump is NOT doing these days, lol. :p )

So maybe it would be more coherent if this refusal to shake hands came from the leader of a democratic country, like Maxtopia?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:51 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Fauxia wrote:This time for sure! It is something new, I hope it's good.

[validity]all nations

[fallout]Diplomatic relations with sworn enemies of the nation have had disastrous results.

This is a very nice issue, and I am glad that Otto Kratt from Issue 731 is making a comeback. It is also well-executed, and I think you have a nice balanced distribution of options. One technical point to add would be that the fallout of Option 4 should begin with a lower-case letter.

Content-wise, I have only one possible criticism to make. If @@NAME@@ is a nation that respects civil and political rights, would the leader of @@NAME@@ be insulted when an autocrat refuses to shake his/her hand? Imagine you attend a meeting and Robert Mugabe refuses to shake your hand. Would you be insulted? I would be more proud of myself than be insulted by it. In fact, I would be seriously concerned about my reputation as a democratic leader if the autocratic leader of another country seemed to be on very friendly terms with me. (Precisely what Trump is NOT doing these days, lol. :p )

So maybe it would be more coherent if this refusal to shake hands came from the leader of a democratic country, like Maxtopia?
Thanks very much for the criticism, I'll probably take that into account. Alternatively, it could be before the meeting, and @@LEADER@@ is being instructed whether to shake hands or not. Or else there could just be another option about what you said "Why should we even want to shake hands with a dictator like Otto Kratt..." there are some possibilities. What do you think is best?

Of course, if you were an authoritarian dictator, that option would have to be toggled out.
Last edited by Fauxia on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:57 am

Fauxia wrote:

Thanks very much for the criticism, I'll probably take that into account. Alternatively, it could be before the meeting, and @@LEADER@@ is being instructed whether to shake hands or not. Or else there could just be another option about what you said "Why should we even want to shake hands with a dictator like Otto Kratt..." there are some possibilities. What do you think is best?

Of course, if you were an authoritarian dictator, that option would have to be toggled out.

One possibility would be steer clear of autocrats, and take a democratic country with which @@NAME@@ is not on good terms for some reason. Maybe the United Federation? or Daguo (yes, I am leaving out the accents on purpose at the moment)? I am not 100% sure that Daguo is a democratic country, but it could be used.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:49 am

Fauxia wrote:Thanks very much for the criticism, I'll probably take that into account. Alternatively, it could be before the meeting, and @@LEADER@@ is being instructed whether to shake hands or not. Or else there could just be another option about what you said "Why should we even want to shake hands with a dictator like Otto Kratt..." there are some possibilities. What do you think is best?

One possibility would be steer clear of autocrats, and take a democratic country with which @@NAME@@ is not on good terms for some reason. Maybe the United Federation? or Daguo (yes, I am leaving out the accents on purpose at the moment)? I am not 100% sure that Daguo is a democratic country, but it could be used.
Yeah, good point.

Ftr I got this from Trump refusing to shake hands with Angela Merkel. Those are both democratic.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:00 am

Fauxia wrote:
Yeah, good point.

Ftr I got this from Trump refusing to shake hands with Angela Merkel. Those are both democratic.

Lol, it will be great if you make the president the president of the United Federation.

Our leader is Chancellor Angelika Henkel, so things will be uncannily similar to what happened IRL. :p

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:31 am

Fauxia wrote:Yeah, good point.

Lol, it will be great if you make the president the president of the United Federation.

Our leader is Chancellor Angelika Henkel, so things will be uncannily similar to what happened IRL. :p
Indeed that would be very :rofl:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:49 am

United Federation would work, as that's something of a USA analogue, but so far it's mostly been depicted as a place of capitalists and cowboys, more or less.

When it comes to diplomatic snafus involving democratic nations, Brancaland is often the nation of choice.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:33 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:United Federation would work, as that's something of a USA analogue, but so far it's mostly been depicted as a place of capitalists and cowboys, more or less.

When it comes to diplomatic snafus involving democratic nations, Brancaland is often the nation of choice.

[description]Justin Case, the young and charismatic leader of Brancaland, refused to shake your hand following a meeting of world leaders, outraging many of @@NAME@@'s patriotic citizens. While the Brancalandian embassy insists that Case simply didn't see you, many in the foreign affairs and defense departments suggest that it was a political statement.

And if it's Brancaland, I think they SHOULD apologize!

The advantage of using the United Federation would be that the lack of an apology wouldn't seem amiss, lol. :p

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 am

Of course, the thing about real world democracies is that they change their leaders, so references to specific leaders can quickly date: it's why I'm not so keen on all the Trump-referencing, though others have a higher tolerance for it. Certainly satirising Justin Trudeau as the leader of Brancaland could look very dated very rapidly.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:56 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Of course, the thing about real world democracies is that they change their leaders, so references to specific leaders can quickly date: it's why I'm not so keen on all the Trump-referencing, though others have a higher tolerance for it. Certainly satirising Justin Trudeau as the leader of Brancaland could look very dated very rapidly.

Yes, of course.

And I just remembered that you have mentioned Brancaland's leader was John Snowman in another thread :p

I think that works much better. Canada is a snowy place in the North, so why not?

Also, I think a reference to the stereotypical politeness of Brancalandians wouldn't become outdated very soon. In fact, it could start a nice debate here, as it is in conflict with their leader's impolite refusal to shake hands with @@LEADER@@.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Of course, the thing about real world democracies is that they change their leaders, so references to specific leaders can quickly date: it's why I'm not so keen on all the Trump-referencing, though others have a higher tolerance for it. Certainly satirising Justin Trudeau as the leader of Brancaland could look very dated very rapidly.

The thing is his reign doesn't have to be long, but how memorable it is. Dictators and monarchs may rule for a long time, but not forever (they will eventually be betrayed by their own mortality) and some will fade away into history, whilst other leaders, such as USA presidnets, may have a short rule but they will be remembered for a really long time. Some which come to mind are George Bush, Ronald Regan, Abraham Lincoln, JFK, etc. I think Donald Trump will definately be a memorable president, which will mean that using him will be a reference which will stand the test of time
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:41 am

There should be an option which states that Otto Kratt really didn't see you
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 am

Australian Republic wrote:

The thing is his reign doesn't have to be long, but how memorable it is. Dictators and monarchs may rule for a long time, but not forever (they will eventually be betrayed by their own mortality) and some will fade away into history, whilst other leaders, such as USA presidnets, may have a short rule but they will be remembered for a really long time. Some which come to mind are George Bush, Ronald Regan, Abraham Lincoln, JFK, etc. I think Donald Trump will definately be a memorable president, which will mean that using him will be a reference which will stand the test of time

Sure, but this is Trump we're talking about. It's equally likely that he'll be remembered for being impeached for being Putin's secret lover, or that we'll remember him as the guy who preemptively nuked North Korea, or who set up the death camps for American Muslims. Likewise, folk can be very bad at judging what will have staying power. Quite a lot of folk thought there should have been an issue about "covfefe", for example.

Sometimes it's better to let current affairs become history before heavy referencing, I think.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:The thing is his reign doesn't have to be long, but how memorable it is. Dictators and monarchs may rule for a long time, but not forever (they will eventually be betrayed by their own mortality) and some will fade away into history, whilst other leaders, such as USA presidnets, may have a short rule but they will be remembered for a really long time. Some which come to mind are George Bush, Ronald Regan, Abraham Lincoln, JFK, etc. I think Donald Trump will definately be a memorable president, which will mean that using him will be a reference which will stand the test of time

Sure, but this is Trump we're talking about. It's equally likely that he'll be remembered for being impeached for being Putin's secret lover, or that we'll remember him as the guy who preemptively nuked North Korea, or who set up the death camps for American Muslims. Likewise, folk can be very bad at judging what will have staying power. Quite a lot of folk thought there should have been an issue about "covfefe", for example.

Sometimes it's better to let current affairs become history before heavy referencing, I think.
I wasn't really referencing in the first place, though. Just saying where I got the idea from.

Thanks for the ideas. But Brancaland or United Federation? Hmmm

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Bump?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:57 am

Hello, Fauxia! As par your request, I'm now taking a look at your draft. :P

I honestly forgot about this one, and was going to work on your olympics issue - thankfully that wasn't the one,
as I'm none too interested in sports irl or otherwise. :lol:

So, without further ado, my review!

Before the boxes, I should note that you should remove the periods after your effect lines. :3c

The Title/Issue/Validity:
I actually like all of this, so moving on~

Option 1:
"THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!"
I basically did something like this with my first two options in the soda draft, but Caracasus mentioned probably removing it, so I imagine that'd apply here as well. :P
@@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ watches the film of the missing handshake for the umpteenth time.
1) Normally a comma appears after @@NAME@@ though it seems to flow nicely without it? I'm honestly not sure about this one.
My reality that is commas seems to be as blurred as my eyesight.
Also, umpteenth? Til that's a real word, nice. :lol2:
You're the face of the nation @@LEADER@@, this is[...]
Comma after nation, semi-colon or hyphen after @@LEADER@@, replacing the comma.

Option 2:
exclaims General @@RANDOMNAME@@ while[...]
Again, I think a comma comes after @@RANDOMNAME@@, but my world of commas is blurry.
Well guess what?
This isn't a question, so a period or exclamation point after it. Also, I might add, that line alone makes this option even scarier. :clap:
NO ONE INSULTS @@NAME@@ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!"
Again, maybe not all-caps, based off of Caracasus's suggestion to yours truly. :P
foreign countries that don't reach trade agreements with @@NAME@@ are immediately bombed to oblivion
This makes me want to mention that this option's kind of overkill. I mean, normally, bombing a nation for not shaking your hand is not the second option. :lol:
Plus, for the effect line specifically, if you bombed all of those nations, then you'd have no premise for future issues about such a subject.

Option 3:
@@HE@@ retreats to the corner furthest from you before continuing,
@@LEADER@@ ban this practice that causes widespread disease!"
Firstly, comma after @@LEADER@@.
Secondly ban handshakes? Couldn't you instead just have @@LEADER@@ refuse to shake any more hands and thank Otto Kratt?
sex has been outlawed following the government's ban of human contact.
a) I'm not sure if non-classroom stuff can appear in effect lines and
b) It just bans handshakes, not reproductive interactions. :P
Again, a little bit overkill of an option. Just a little.

Option 4:
says your Minister of Diplomatic Solutions @@RANDOMNAME@@ while agreeing
I believe a comma after both Solutions and @@RANDOMNAME@@

I should also point out that this is possibly the most sensible option, aside from maybe option 1. Also, there's no "He just didn't see you" option? :blush:

So, to summarize:
1) A few grammatical fixtures
2) Probably should tone down options 2 and/or 3 just a bit
3) Probably push option 4 to option 2 or or 3.
4) I suggest maybe adding a "he just didn't notice you. You should make yourself more noticeable!" option, which I think could probably replace the "BOMB THEIR NATION" option.
5) Maybe remove one of the three "@@LEADER@@," interjections, though that's none too important
6) Remove the periods after the effect lines.

That's all! Good luck, Fauxia - I do believe this one may just make it into the game with a bit of tweaking. :)
Also note, all of my stuff is based on my opinion, so if you don't agree with any of my statements, feel free to ignore them.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Idk how I spliced that many commas.

Also, for non-classroom stuff, precedent is with me on this one. There's a fallout that is "people have to sneak out of the country in order to have sex" or something like that. I'll get a new draft soon.
Last edited by Fauxia on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Bumpity bump.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Wait, Marche Noir is democratic. When Otto Kratt was mentioned, he was looking for votes.

But anyway, the nation is going to be Brancaland.
Last edited by Fauxia on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Bumps? Added some commas, whatever my tg to Jutsa said :p

Also fixed some macro issues and re-arranged the words in some phrases, (such as around the names, where the comma rules are fuzzy)
Last edited by Fauxia on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Quite a lot of folk thought there should have been an issue about "covfefe", for example.

I still don't even know what "covfefe" is.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Option 1:
de-legitimize
Just delegitimize, according to google.

Option 2:
"Of course he didn't see you; You aren't
Option 2: Decapitalize "You".
you could wear this sweater beautiful sweater
sweater beautiful sweater? :lol:
Ninja costumes have gone strangely out of fashion.
What an odd effect line. Strangely enough, stating what the issue suggests, "@@LEADER@@ looks like an uncomfortable walking flag" (see if you can find a way to exclude the technical grammatical error as a result of no comma), might actually be good enough an issue effect line. :P

The current one works too; just saying that the other one might have more connectivity.

Option 3:
Franly,
Frankly,*
@@LEADER@@- ban
"@@LEADER@@, ban" would probably work better. :P

Option 4:
murmurs @@RANDOMNAME@@ [...] as he
as @@HE@@*
Toddlers fighting over toys are expected to reach a peaceful agreement through their own negotiation
Strangely fitting. :clap:

This is looking very good! I really think that this may have a shot along the lines that it's currently on.

Again, I'm not opposed to option 4 being 2 or 3 and shoving everything else beneath it, but that's strictly up to you. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Jutsa wrote:
Option 1:
de-legitimize
Just delegitimize, according to google.

Option 2:
"Of course he didn't see you; You aren't
Option 2: Decapitalize "You".
you could wear this sweater beautiful sweater
sweater beautiful sweater? :lol:
Ninja costumes have gone strangely out of fashion.
What an odd effect line. Strangely enough, stating what the issue suggests, "@@LEADER@@ looks like an uncomfortable walking flag" (see if you can find a way to exclude the technical grammatical error as a result of no comma), might actually be good enough an issue effect line. :P

The current one works too; just saying that the other one might have more connectivity.

Option 3:
Franly,
Frankly,*
@@LEADER@@- ban
"@@LEADER@@, ban" would probably work better. :P

Option 4:
murmurs @@RANDOMNAME@@ [...] as he
as @@HE@@*
Toddlers fighting over toys are expected to reach a peaceful agreement through their own negotiation
Strangely fitting. :clap:

This is looking very good! I really think that this may have a shot along the lines that it's currently on.

Again, I'm not opposed to option 4 being 2 or 3 and shoving everything else beneath it, but that's strictly up to you. :P
Thanks Jutsa! Will do- except I think you capitalize after a semicolon; It's a new sentence ( :p )

EDIT: After looking it up, Jutsa is right.
Last edited by Fauxia on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Understandable. Colons and semicolons are pains in the butt, and I frankly almost never used them until I got uber interested in GI but a few months ago. :rofl:
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?