NATION

PASSWORD

[ISSUE CHAIN] @@CAPITAL@@gate

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

[ISSUE CHAIN] @@CAPITAL@@gate

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Here's a separate thread for this new issue chain. Hopefully others can post their findings on the chain so I can consolidate them into the OP here.

Thanks to people in the Issues Megathread, we now have the title and full text of every issue in an easy-to-access archive! There is still much to be done on mapping the paths between these issues, though.

List of issues in @@CAPITAL@@gate
Issue #789- @@CAPITAL@@gate (Chain Start)
Issue #790- The Art of The Distraction
Issue #791- The Smoking Gun?
Issue #792- Why Can’t We Be Friends?
Issue #793- Knock Knock. Who’s There? Not You Anymore!
Issue #794- Fear And Loathing In @@CAPITAL@@
Issue #795- Lock Him Up!
Issue #796- It's Dangerous To Go Alone!
Issue #797- Yesterday's News (Chain End)

Chain structure
Thanks to Trotterdam's diligent efforts, we now have a complete map of the chain! This isn't definite yet, so please report any errors that you find.

@@CAPITAL@@gate

1. government spokespeople are working overtime trying to convince concerned citizens that @@LEADER@@ is not a crook [leads to #790]
2. government critics have noticed a lot of new neighbors with expensive surveillance equipment in their garages [leads to #791]
3. @@LEADER@@ is frequently seen begging critics to stop insulting the government [leads to #792]

The Art of The Distraction

1. @@LEADER@@ claims no responsibility for what @@LEADER@@'s government does [leads to #793]
2. the death glare has replaced the handshake as a national greeting [leads to #794]
3. those on @@LEADER@@'s rumored 'Enemies List' tend to disappear overnight [leads to #795]

The Smoking Gun?

1. the government claims that @@LEADER@@'s political enemies literally take candy from babies [leads to #795]
2. the government operates on the idea that you can't be betrayed if you get your betrayals in first and fastest [leads to #796]
3. paranoia is the new normal [leads to #794]

Why Can't We Be Friends?

1. politicians who misplace decimal points on expense reports are fired for gross incompetence [leads to #793]
2. several cabinet ministers have complained that @@LEADER@@ is giving them the evil eye [leads to #796]
3. nobody accepts @@LEADER@@'s dinner invitations anymore [leads to #795]

Knock Knock. Who’s There? Not You Anymore!

1. snap elections are called whenever there's a chance to increase @@LEADER@@'s majority [leads to #797]
2. a revolving door was recently installed at the entrance of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Capitol Building [leads to #797]
3. the entirety of @@LEADER@@'s administration can be crammed into a phone booth [leads to #797]
4. @@LEADER@@'s new office is 6 by 8 feet with steel walls and a barred door [leads to #797][/url]

At least one option must have a restricted validity, since I saw only three options when I got #793.

Fear And Loathing In @@CAPITAL@@

1. citizens patriotically sing the government's praises while glancing nervously over their shoulder [leads to #797]
2. citizens who inform on their neighbors can trade government "loyalty points" for food and other prizes [leads to #797]
3. dissidents are often found dead with the very injuries @@LEADER@@ mentioned in recent press conferences [leads to #797]
4. the @@CAPITAL@@ Police often confuse their exploding pens for real ones [leads to #797]

Lock Him Up!

1. critics of @@LEADER@@ literally can't find their head on their shoulders [leads to #797]
2. dissidents' perp walks are repeatedly shown during prime time television [leads to #797]
3. the government operates on a policy of compliance through intimidation [leads to #797]
4. the sword tends to be mightier than the pen in @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ politics [leads to #797]

It's Dangerous To Go Alone!

1. propaganda posters remind citizens that 'opinions are treason' [leads to #797]
2. state media sings the praises of Greatest Hero Beloved Dear Leader @@LEADER@@ [leads to #797]
3. the nation's unofficial motto is "Fear Thy Neighbour" [leads to #797]
4. the government has an odd policy of calling snap elections at its lowest ebb of popularity [leads to #797]

Yesterday's News

1. schoolchildren are taught to boo and hiss at @@LEADER@@'s name [end chain] [if Barry Maxman lived, and is still allowed to publish because you didn't ban non-state media with #796.2]
2. citizens are required by law to prominently display a portrait of @@LEADER@@ in their homes [end chain] [if Barry Maxman died, as can be achieved by #794.1 (disappearance), #794.3 (vigilante justice), #795.1 (public execution), #795.4 (rigged duel)]
3. citizens who don't display the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ flag on their property are placed on a terrorist watch list [end chain] [if you blamed East Lebatuck using #790.2 or #791.3, leading to #794]
4. political cartoons depicting @@LEADER@@'s face on @@A@@ @@ANIMAL@@'s buttocks are selling like hotcakes [end chain] [if you didn't ban non-state media with #796.2 (maybe also unavailable with #794.1?)]
5. state-controlled media is known for telling the truth... from a certain point of view [end chain] [if you banned non-state media with #796.2, or if you abolished democracy with #796.1(?)]
6. the nation is regarded as a paragon of democracy [end chain] [if you remain a democracy (and also didn't choose #795.1?)]
7. statues of @@LEADER@@ can be found on every street [end chain] [if you abolished democracy with #796.1, or seized power for yourself by firing most of your cabinet and not replacing them with one of #793.3, #793.4, #796.2, #796.3]
8. schools are forbidden to teach anything that might paint the government in a negative light [end chain] [always available?]
Last edited by Phydios on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 4032
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:15 pm

I'll get you the name of 790 in a moment. According to my puppet's notices, it's "The Art of Distraction"

789.1 leads to 790. Something on 790 leads to 793
Last edited by Fauxia on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Fauxia wrote:I'll get you the name of 790 in a moment. According to my puppet's notices, it's "The Art of Distraction"

789.1 leads to 790. Something on 790 leads to 793

Added. Thanks.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 4032
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Phydios wrote:
Fauxia wrote:I'll get you the name of 790 in a moment. According to my puppet's notices, it's "The Art of Distraction"

789.1 leads to 790. Something on 790 leads to 793

Added. Thanks.
Presumably 789.2 leads to 791, but we can't be so sure. Also, you didn't add the name of 790 on the top post.

Furthermore, you should probably leave hyperlinks to where the information comes from.
Last edited by Fauxia on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Phydios wrote:Added. Thanks.
Presumably 789.2 leads to 791, but we can't be so sure. Also, you didn't add the name of 790 on the top post.

Furthermore, you should probably leave hyperlinks to where the information comes from.

Good idea. Updated.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 4032
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Phydios wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Presumably 789.2 leads to 791, but we can't be so sure. Also, you didn't add the name of 790 on the top post.

Furthermore, you should probably leave hyperlinks to where the information comes from.

Good idea. Updated.
Also, apologies for not being clear here. A)Garjohnia is my puppet, and b)I'm not saying 792 leads to 790. I think I misunderstood you and then you further misunderstood me.

What I meant was 790 lead to 793. Sorry
Last edited by Fauxia on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Phydios wrote:Good idea. Updated.
Also, apologies for not being clear here. A)Garjohnia is my puppet, and b)I'm not saying 792 leads to 790. I think I misunderstood you and then you further misunderstood me.

What I meant was 790 lead to 793. Sorry

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification. Updated.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Tinhampton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5300
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 pm

There also exists an issue #797, entitled "Yesterday's News". You get #797 if you choose Option 1 on Issue #793 (which has four options, not three ;)). It appears that this ends the chain, but I'm not entirely sure.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OOC: "Tinhampton is going to be condemned for her RMB posts" * 44F, also a Tory * WA Delegate and Home Secretary, Thorossia
Currently reading: "National Populism" by Roger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin * Full-time lobbyist, part-time satirist

IC: The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP) * Alexander Smith, Delegate-Ambassador to the WA * Winners, Cup of Harmony 73
Author: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115 (with Turbeaux), SC#267

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 4032
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Tinhampton wrote:There also exists an issue #797, entitled "Yesterday's News". You get #797 if you choose Option 1 on Issue #793 (which has four options, not three ;)). It appears that this ends the chain, but I'm not entirely sure.
So my puppet is going to get Issue 797 in half an hour?
Last edited by Fauxia on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
Garjohnia
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Garjohnia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Correct. I took option 1 on 793 and got 797, "Yesterday's News"
The story so far

It has been some time since the @@CAPITAL@@gate scandal, and many are reflecting on what the scandal’s place in @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ history should be.

The Issue

The @@CAPITAL@@ District Schoolboard has decided to update their @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ History course to include recent events, including the @@CAPITAL@@gate scandal. The scandal is still fresh in people’s memory, and those who were involved in the scandal have their own ideas on how it should be taught in schools.

The Debate

1. “The lesson from history is absolute power corrupts absolutely, and government cannot be trusted,” points out Barry Maxman, whose new novel chronicling @@CAPITAL@@gate recently topped the best seller list. “@@CAPITAL@@gate was about unchecked corruption, censorship, and your gross incompetence. We must remember @@CAPITAL@@gate, to make sure that no other person is intimidated the way I was. That should be its legacy.”
2. “The lesson from history is the free press safeguards democracy,” reminds media baron Mike Ives, handing out free newspapers to everyone in the room. “If it weren’t for the media, we might never have found out about the government’s shady dealings. @@CAPITAL@@gate reminds us that the free press must be protected at all costs, otherwise a dictatorship just might be around the corner.”
3. “The lesson from history is that democracy is the best form of government, for all others have been tried,” states your sister, who now works as a democracy advocate throughout @@REGION@@. “This was a healthy reminder that we need to be a nation that freely elects its leaders, and we won’t allow some dictator to walk all over us. You chose the noble path, dear Leader, and we’ll continue to make sure that @@NAME@@ is respected throughout the land!”
4. “The real question is why is this being taught in schools at all?” queries an eager young intern, who literally worships the ground you walk on. “Yeah, @@CAPITAL@@gate isn’t exactly a bright spot in @@NAME@@’s history, but you know some of these teachers will use it as propaganda against you. It’s best if we all simply forgot about it, and ban any teachings or depictions of the scandal from here on out.”


Took option 3. Fallout: The nation is regarded as a paragon of democracy.
Last edited by Garjohnia on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Tinhampton wrote:There also exists an issue #797, entitled "Yesterday's News". You get #797 if you choose Option 1 on Issue #793 (which has four options, not three ;)). It appears that this ends the chain, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks. Is #797 actually marked as part of the chain, or is it just an related issue (like an epilogue)? Also, do you have the text for all #793 options? I didn't see one of them.

Garjohnia wrote:Correct. I took option 1 on 793 and got 797, "Yesterday's News"
The story so far

It has been some time since the @@CAPITAL@@gate scandal, and many are reflecting on what the scandal’s place in @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ history should be.

The Issue

The @@CAPITAL@@ District Schoolboard has decided to update their @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ History course to include recent events, including the @@CAPITAL@@gate scandal. The scandal is still fresh in people’s memory, and those who were involved in the scandal have their own ideas on how it should be taught in schools.

The Debate

1. “The lesson from history is absolute power corrupts absolutely, and government cannot be trusted,” points out Barry Maxman, whose new novel chronicling @@CAPITAL@@gate recently topped the best seller list. “@@CAPITAL@@gate was about unchecked corruption, censorship, and your gross incompetence. We must remember @@CAPITAL@@gate, to make sure that no other person is intimidated the way I was. That should be its legacy.”
2. “The lesson from history is the free press safeguards democracy,” reminds media baron Mike Ives, handing out free newspapers to everyone in the room. “If it weren’t for the media, we might never have found out about the government’s shady dealings. @@CAPITAL@@gate reminds us that the free press must be protected at all costs, otherwise a dictatorship just might be around the corner.”
3. “The lesson from history is that democracy is the best form of government, for all others have been tried,” states your sister, who now works as a democracy advocate throughout @@REGION@@. “This was a healthy reminder that we need to be a nation that freely elects its leaders, and we won’t allow some dictator to walk all over us. You chose the noble path, dear Leader, and we’ll continue to make sure that @@NAME@@ is respected throughout the land!”
4. “The real question is why is this being taught in schools at all?” queries an eager young intern, who literally worships the ground you walk on. “Yeah, @@CAPITAL@@gate isn’t exactly a bright spot in @@NAME@@’s history, but you know some of these teachers will use it as propaganda against you. It’s best if we all simply forgot about it, and ban any teachings or depictions of the scandal from here on out.”


Took option 3. Fallout: The nation is regarded as a paragon of democracy.

Thanks!
Last edited by Phydios on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8204
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Fauxia wrote:I'll get you the name of 790 in a moment. According to my puppet's notices, it's "The Art of Distraction"
Are you sure about the capitalization? Issues usually capitalize every word, though editors sometimes forget that.

Garjohnia wrote:Correct. I took option 1 on 793 and got 797, "Yesterday's News"
Did you check the internal numbering on #797? I'm suspicious, because there are definitely more endpoints for the chain than those four, and I've seen some of the effect lines for not-included-in-the-above options as followups to the same choices that can also be followed up with included-in-the-above options. I suspect that the relevant validity is whether all media is owned by the state.

#796 remains unaccounted for. It's also possible that it's a similar-but-different variant of #797 depending on exactly what you choose, I still think that's somewhat unlikely but I won't know for sure until I have more data.

I'm currently up to 35 options total in the chain. It looks like this includes one issue with 7 options and one issue with 8 options, but as is shown above, there's clearly some doubt over exactly how it's arranged.

Still looks like 8 issues total, 4 visible per playthough, and you need at least 3 playthroughs to see all the issues. You always start and end as the same place, but there's a whole criss-cross in between.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Did you check the internal numbering on #797?

Could you tell me how to do that? I used "Inspect Element" in Firefox once to poke around in the HTML for the issue page, but couldn't find any "option" or "choice" identifier for the issue options.

Trotterdam wrote:I'm suspicious, because there are definitely more endpoints for the chain than those four, and I've seen some of the effect lines for not-included-in-the-above options as followups to the same choices that can also be followed up with included-in-the-above options. I suspect that the relevant validity is whether all media is owned by the state.

#796 remains unaccounted for. It's also possible that it's a similar-but-different variant of #797 depending on exactly what you choose, I still think that's somewhat unlikely but I won't know for sure until I have more data.

I'm currently up to 35 options total in the chain. It looks like this includes one issue with 7 options and one issue with 8 options, but as is shown above, there's clearly some doubt over exactly how it's arranged.

Still looks like 8 issues total, 4 visible per playthough, and you need at least 3 playthroughs to see all the issues. You always start and end as the same place, but there's a whole criss-cross in between.

Out of curiosity, how are you getting this data? Do you have some massive data-mining operation using puppets, are you scouring the whole NS world for relevant effect lines, or something else? I'm just confused about how you seem to know a lot more than any other non-staff member. It could be useful.
Last edited by Phydios on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18272
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:28 pm

So what's your issue about, specifically?
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
As a centrist, I have been called both an extreme leftist and an extreme right-winger.
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian.
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Australian Republic wrote:So what's your issue about, specifically?

What do you mean? We aren't drafting anything here. We're gathering data on the newest published issue chain: a story about a scandal rocking your nation's government.
Last edited by Phydios on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18272
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Phydios wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:So what's your issue about, specifically?

What do you mean? We aren't drafting anything here. We're gathering data on the newest published issue chain: a story about a scandal rocking your nation's government.

Wait, there's a new chain?
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
As a centrist, I have been called both an extreme leftist and an extreme right-winger.
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian.
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
The Candy Of Bottles
Diplomat
 
Posts: 564
Founded: Jan 01, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Candy Of Bottles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:40 pm

#790: The Art Of The Distraction

The Story So Far

The @@CAPITAL@@gate scandal has gone viral, and you have decided to distance yourself from the people involved.

The Issue

The @@CAPITAL@@gate scandal continues to be front page news. Facing continued scrutiny and criticism, several of your closest Cabinet ministers and aides have suggested doing something to distract the people from @@CAPITAL@@gate.

The Debate

“The people are clearly angry because we haven’t gone far enough!” exclaims Gordon MacGruber while continually squeezing a stress ball. “Dismiss anyone involved in the scandal from their posts, and don’t stop there. Take a stand by prosecuting the corrupt career politicians and the lobbyists, and ensure that there’s always a free press to ask tough questions. Once @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ see how none of this was your fault, they’ll surely forgive you! Just make sure you appear sincere in your efforts.”

Accept

“Nothing distracts the people more than a good dosage of fear from an even bigger enemy,” reminds your Minister of Defense, while quickly leafing through a book entitled Political Corruption For Dummies. “You’ve read my reports of those pesky East Lebatuckese infiltrating Marche Noir, right? What if we started rumors about something similar happening here? We could claim that the East Lebatuckese have agents in @@NAME@@, and we could even come up with some sort of agency to track them down. People will be so scared they’ll turn on each other and forget all about us!”

Accept

“I hate to say ‘I told you so,’ but I told you so!” rebuffs Propaganda Ministry aide Virgil van Houten, as he emerges from his hiding spot in your coat closet. “To be honest, the only one who truly understands @@NAME@@ is the person who has been running it. We need to start cracking down hard on the media, protesters, and that pesky Barry Maxman just like I said. It’s obvious that he’s engaged in un-@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ activities. You come up with some trumped-up charges and I’ll plant the evidence.”

Accept

Dismiss This Issue

Issue by The Free Secular Federation of Nation of Quebec

Edited by Nation of Quebec

I've left the names so others can check for randomness by comparing.
Nation May also be called Ebsas Shomad.
WA Delegate: Tislam Timnärstëlmith (Tislam Taperedtresses)
Operates on EST/EDT
1.) Ignore them, they want attention. Giving it to them will only encourage them.
2.) Keep a backup region or two handy, with a password in place, in case you are raided. You can move there if needed.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8204
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Phydios wrote:Could you tell me how to do that? I used "Inspect Element" in Firefox once to poke around in the HTML for the issue page, but couldn't find any "option" or "choice" identifier for the issue options.
What I do is go into View Source, and look for something that looks like this:
Code: Select all
<button type="submit" name="choice-0" value="1" class="button big icon approve">Accept</button>
The important part here is the name="choice-0". Note that internal option numbers are offset by one, so choice-0 is the first option, choice-1 is the second option, etc. choice--1 (that's a hyphen folowed by a minus sign) is dismissal.

Inspect Element on the Accept button should give the same information. Look for the "name" attribute.

Note that if you have confirmations turned on, the asking-for-confirmation page doesn't display the internal numbers for any option except for the one you chose and need to confirm. So do your inspection before that.

Phydios wrote:Out of curiosity, how are you getting this data? Do you have some massive data-mining operation using puppets, are you scouring the whole NS world for relevant effect lines, or something else? I'm just confused about how you seem to know a lot more than any other non-staff member. It could be useful.
That one. If I had a huge number of puppets, I'd be able to post the actual content of the issues, as well as some other cool stuff that's hard to gather with just a few nations. But I don't like the idea of juggling swarms of "Generic Nation Name 37"s. I'm not even capable of coming up with an uncreative nation name without trying to be creative about it ;)

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Phydios wrote:What do you mean? We aren't drafting anything here. We're gathering data on the newest published issue chain: a story about a scandal rocking your nation's government.

Wait, there's a new chain?

Yes, and you're in the middle of a thread all about it, so go ahead and read up. There was also discussion in the Issues Megathread for a week before I made this thread, and that's where you'll find the actual text of the issues that have been found so far. I've not added that to the OP yet.

Trotterdam wrote:What I do is go into View Source, and look for something that looks like this:
Code: Select all
<button type="submit" name="choice-0" value="1" class="button big icon approve">Accept</button>
The important part here is the name="choice-0". Note that internal option numbers are offset by one, so choice-0 is the first option, choice-1 is the second option, etc. choice--1 (that's a hyphen followed by a minus sign) is dismissal.

Inspect Element on the Accept button should give the same information. Look for the "name" attribute.

Note that if you have confirmations turned on, the asking-for-confirmation page doesn't display the internal numbers for any option except for the one you chose and need to confirm. So do your inspection before that.

Thanks! That's extremely helpful.

Trotterdam wrote:That one. If I had a huge number of puppets, I'd be able to post the actual content of the issues, as well as some other cool stuff that's hard to gather with just a few nations. But I don't like the idea of juggling swarms of "Generic Nation Name 37"s. I'm not even capable of coming up with an uncreative nation name without trying to be creative about it ;)

That's quite the dedication. I'm impressed. But how do you distinguish chain effect lines from non-chain effect lines, let alone determine how many options each issue has, just from watching the World Activity feed?
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8204
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Phydios wrote:That's quite the dedication. I'm impressed. But how do you distinguish chain effect lines from non-chain effect lines, let alone determine how many options each issue has, just from watching the World Activity feed?
Oh, quite easy. Someone posts in here that there's a new chain. Then I know to look for it :)

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2249
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Phydios wrote:That's quite the dedication. I'm impressed. But how do you distinguish chain effect lines from non-chain effect lines, let alone determine how many options each issue has, just from watching the World Activity feed?
Oh, quite easy. Someone posts in here that there's a new chain. Then I know to look for it :)

I don't understand... doesn't one effect line look basically the same as another unless you're already familiar with it? It seems fairly easy to link issue options to their effect lines, but doing the reverse seems nigh-impossible.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8204
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Effect lines always come with a mention of which nation they happened in. Go to that nation, look at its other recent effect lines. Do that on a bunch of nations that got the same effect line, see if you see a pattern.

For example, #788 - which nobody's reported yet - is also about how citizens express disapproval with the government, and some of its effect lines could at first glance be mistaken for part of the chain. But checking them makes it quickly obvious that they're occuring in isolation, so this is just a coincidence.

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 4032
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Fauxia wrote:I'll get you the name of 790 in a moment. According to my puppet's notices, it's "The Art of Distraction"
Are you sure about the capitalization? Issues usually capitalize every word, though editors sometimes forget that.

Garjohnia wrote:Correct. I took option 1 on 793 and got 797, "Yesterday's News"
Did you check the internal numbering on #797? I'm suspicious, because there are definitely more endpoints for the chain than those four, and I've seen some of the effect lines for not-included-in-the-above options as followups to the same choices that can also be followed up with included-in-the-above options. I suspect that the relevant validity is whether all media is owned by the state.

#796 remains unaccounted for. It's also possible that it's a similar-but-different variant of #797 depending on exactly what you choose, I still think that's somewhat unlikely but I won't know for sure until I have more data.

I'm currently up to 35 options total in the chain. It looks like this includes one issue with 7 options and one issue with 8 options, but as is shown above, there's clearly some doubt over exactly how it's arranged.

Still looks like 8 issues total, 4 visible per playthough, and you need at least 3 playthroughs to see all the issues. You always start and end as the same place, but there's a whole criss-cross in between.
Your theory about 796 could be correct, but I think it's separate and everyone gets 797 at the end, hence the bunch of options you're thinking of. For example, with Garjohnia, my puppet, I basically fired my entire cabinet. One option was about that, but it's not applicable for other nations that didn't do that.

As for the "internal options" I am inept at computer stuff, and will likely never figure out how to work that.
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8204
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Fauxia wrote:As for the "internal options" I am inept at computer stuff, and will likely never figure out how to work that.
See that menu bar at the top? Click "View". Click "Page Source". The exact words may differ by browser, but it should be something along those lines.

At least on mine, Control+U is a shortcut.

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 4032
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Fauxia wrote:As for the "internal options" I am inept at computer stuff, and will likely never figure out how to work that.
See that menu bar at the top? Click "View". Click "Page Source". The exact words may differ by browser, but it should be something along those lines.

At least on mine, Control+U is a shortcut.
Right now, I'm on mobile, and I am a good deal, so I don't see the menu bar.
Last edited by Fauxia on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Verdant Haven

Advertisement

Remove ads