NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Withdrawing From The Blood Bank

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Withdrawing From The Blood Bank

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 am

[desc] The death of long-time blood donor @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose regular blood contributions had saved dozens of @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ over the years, has sparked public outrage. @@HE@@ had apparently lost a lot of blood after being injured in a duel with someone at a Harry Potter convention, and could not be saved due to a temporary lack of @@HIS@@ universal donor blood type. Other blood donors are threatening to stop donating blood unless the government prioritizes donors for blood transfusion.

[validity] Only valid for nations that selected 027.1, 191.3, 260.3 (Blood donation optional) and are not class nations

[option] "We must be placed at the front of the queue for receiving blood!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@, a furious donor, waving @@HIS@@ donor card in your face. "At least half of the blood that us donors have given should be reserved for our future use. That way, we will feel secure when donating blood, knowing that some of it will return to us when we are in need. Who knows? More people might even be encouraged to join with such an incentive."
[effect] patients who haven't donated blood regularly are often left to die

[option] "Why do we have to give any of our blood to others at all?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, another donor, barging into your office. "It's my blood, and I should be able to do whatever I want with it. You should build a national blood bank that actually functions like a real bank, where deposited blood belongs to, and only to the depositor. I'm certain that people would be willing to fork out substantial sums of money to safeguard their own stock of blood, so it would be an easy source of revenue for the government. Blood could also be sold to others who need it, like those with blood disorders. That's something that I can get behind."
[effect] the wealthy regularly outbid impoverished patients of blood they genuinely need

[option] "How selfish! It is a mistake to restrict the supply of fresh blood, especially to those who have a use for it," sneers @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Báthory, an elderly hematologist, while sipping from a glass of red liquid and squinting in the dim light of your room. "My experiments on mice have shown that older mice are physically and mentally rejuvenated when they are injected with blood from younger mice. There is no reason to think that this wouldn't work with people as well. You should make it mandatory for minors to donate blood- not just for patients, but for the elderly too. This way, we will have a much healthier populace." @@HE@@ smiles, flashing what appear to be fangs.
[effect]@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ teenagers are regularly harvested for blood

[option validity] Only valid for nations with food from vats
[option] "Let's just repurpose most of our vats to purely produce universal donor type blood," mutters @@RANDOMNAME@@, an exhausted vat operator, still holding a ladle in @@HIS@@ hand. "It may force us to divert our resources from producing food for our citizens, but it's still better than forcibly extracting blood from children or allowing patients to perish. Well, it's been nice talking to you, but I've got to get back to work."
[effect] the price of meat has skyrocketed as vats are repurposed to produce blood instead

[option validity] Only valid for nations with organs or humans from vats
[option] "Let's just repurpose most of our vats to purely produce universal donor type blood," mutters @@RANDOMNAME@@, an exhausted vat operator, still holding a wrench in @@HIS@@ hand. "It may force us to divert our resources from producing important organs and whatnot, but it's still better than forcibly extracting blood from children or allowing patients to perish. Well, it's been nice talking to you, but I've got to get back to work."
[effect] deaths from organ failure are rising as vats are repurposed to purely produce blood

[option validity] Only valid for nations without vats
[option] "There's no need to do something so abhorrent," posits @@RANDOMNAME@@, a renowned biochemist, still holding a beaker from @@HIS@@ last experiment. "After years of research, I have managed to invent viable synthetic blood. The synthetic blood I made can be used by citizens of all blood types, and it is relatively inexpensive to produce. While it may significantly increase the chance of heart attacks, it's better than forcibly extracting blood from children or allowing patients to perish."
[effect] government-approved synthetic blood has been cited as the leading cause of heart attacks

[desc] The death of long-time blood donor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose regular blood contributions had saved dozens of @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ over the years, has sparked public outrage. @@HE@@ had apparently lost a lot of blood after being injured in a duel with someone at a Harry Potter convention, and could not be saved due to a temporary lack of his universal donor blood type. Other blood donors are threatening to stop donating blood unless the government prioritises donors for blood transfusion.

[validity] Only valid for nations that selected 027.1, 191.3, 260.3 (Blood donation optional)

[option] "We must be placed at the front of the queue for receiving blood!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@, a furious donor, waving @@HIS@@ donor card in your face. "At least half of the blood that us donors have given should be reserved for our future use. That way, we will feel secure when donating blood, knowing that some of it will return to us when we are in need. Who knows, more people might even be encouraged to join with such an incentive."
[effect] patients who don't donate blood regularly are often left to die

[option] "It is a mistake to think only former donors or injured people need fresh blood," sneers @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Báthory, an elderly hematologist, while sipping from a glass of red liquid and squinting in the dim light of your room. "My experiments on mice have shown that older mice are physically and mentally rejuvenated when they are injected with blood from younger mice. There is no reason to think that this wouldn't work with people as well. You should make it mandatory for minors to donate blood, not just for patients, but for the elderly too. This way, we will have a much healthier populace." @@HE@@ smiles, flashing what appear to be fangs.

[option validity] Only valid for nations with food from vats
[option] "Let's just repurpose most of our vats to purely produce universal donor type blood," mutters @@RANDOMNAME@@, an exhausted vat operator, still holding a ladle in @@HIS@@ hand. "It may force us to divert our resources from producing food for our citizens, but it's still better than forcibly extracting blood from children or allowing patients to perish. Well, it's been nice talking to you, but I've got to get back to work."
[effect] the price of meat has skyrocketed as vats are repurposed to produce blood instead

[option validity] Only valid for nations with organs or humans from vats
[option] "Let's just repurpose most of our vats to purely produce universal donor type blood," mutters @@RANDOMNAME@@, an exhausted vat operator, still holding a wrench in @@HIS@@ hand. "It may force us to divert our resources from producing important organs and whatnot, but it's still better than forcibly extracting blood from children or allowing patients to perish. Well, it's been nice talking to you, but I've got to get back to work."
[effect] deaths from organ failure are rising as vats are repurposed to purely produce blood

[option validity] Only valid for nations without vats
[option] "There's no need to do something so abhorrent," posits @@RANDOMNAME@@, a renowned biochemist, still holding a beaker from @@HIS@@ last experiment. "After years of research, I have managed to invent viable synthetic blood. The synthetic blood I made can be used by citizens of all blood types, and it is relatively inexpensive to produce. While it may significantly increase the chance of heart attacks, it's better than forcibly extracting blood from children or allowing patients to perish."
[effect] government-approved synthetic blood has been cited as the leading cause of heart attacks

[desc] The death of long-time blood donor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose regular blood contributions had saved dozens of @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ over the years, has sparked public outrage. @@HIS@@ demise, attributed to severe blood loss, could not be remedied due to a temporary lack of @@HIS@@ rare blood type. Other blood donors are threatening to stop donating blood unless the government prioritises donors for blood transfusion.

[validity] Only valid for nations that selected 027.1, 191.3, 260.3 (Blood donation optional)

[option] "We must be placed at the front of the queue for receiving blood!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@, a furious donor, waving @@HIS@@ donor card in your face. "At least half of the blood that us donors have given should be reserved for our future use. That way, we will feel secure when donating blood, knowing that some of it will return to us when we are in need. Who knows, more people might even be encouraged to join with such an incentive."

[option] "This shows that we must make blood donation compulsory!" claims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a blood bank administrator, while sipping from a glass of red liquid. "You can't seriously expect the majority of our citizens to be generous enough to provide blood of their own accord. In the rare event where we completely run out of blood, we should not be afraid to take blood from the elderly or even children."
[effect] the government sees children as a literal source of fresh blood

[option] "There's no need to do something so abhorrent," posits @@RANDOMNAME@@, a renowned biochemist, still holding a beaker from @@HIS@@ last experiment. "After years of research, I have managed to invent viable synthetic blood. The synthetic blood I made can be used by citizens of all blood types, and it is relatively inexpensive to produce. While it may significantly increase the chance of heart attacks and render patients unable to exercise, it's better than forcibly extracting blood from children or allowing patients to perish."
[effect] government approved synthetic blood has been cited as the leading cause of heart attacks
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:45 am

Does artificial blood actually cause heart-attacks and prevent excersize?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:24 am

Australian Republic wrote:Does artificial blood actually cause heart-attacks and prevent excersize?

They increase the chance of heart attacks. Current synthetic blood cannot even properly carry dissolved oxygen as of now, thus I concluded that exercise would be difficult if there was insufficient real blood. Might be a bit of a stretch, I could remove that.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am

Singapore no2 wrote:[desc] The death of long-time blood donor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose regular blood contributions had saved dozens of @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ over the years, has sparked public outrage. @@HIS@@ demise, attributed to severe blood loss, could not be remedied due to a temporary lack of @@HIS@@ rare blood type.
You should specify what caused the blood loss.

As it reads, it could be interpreted as dying from trying to donate more blood than his body is capable of handling, which would speak rathe poorly of the competence of the doctors involved.

If you intended for it to just be a generic bloody incident that coincidentally happened to a former blood donor, you should be clearer about that. (Though even then, for example, an accident happening shortly after you donated blood could add up to be more lethal than either one separately.)

Singapore no2 wrote:[effect] government approved synthetic blood has been cited as the leading cause of heart attacks
"government-approved"

Australian Republic wrote:Does artificial blood actually cause heart-attacks and prevent excersize?
This is where NationStates canon might get in the way. Considering issue-established technology includes the ability to grow replacement organs and even entire people in vats, we can probably manage synthetic blood that's biologically authentic, rather than a mere substitute.

Unfortunately, that would be too much of an obviously-right option.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 am

That vat issue's always causing problems, isn't it? :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:[desc] The death of long-time blood donor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose regular blood contributions had saved dozens of @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ over the years, has sparked public outrage. @@HIS@@ demise, attributed to severe blood loss, could not be remedied due to a temporary lack of @@HIS@@ rare blood type. Other blood donors are threatening to stop donating blood unless the government prioritises donors for blood transfusion.

[option] "This shows that we must make blood donation compulsory!" claims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a blood bank administrator, while sipping from a glass of red liquid. "You can't seriously expect the majority of our citizens to be generous enough to provide blood of their own accord. In the rare event where we completely run out of blood, we should not be afraid to take blood from the elderly or even children."
[effect] the government sees children as a literal source of fresh blood

[option] "There's no need to do something so abhorrent," posits @@RANDOMNAME@@, a renowned biochemist, still holding a beaker from @@HIS@@ last experiment. "After years of research, I have managed to invent viable synthetic blood. The synthetic blood I made can be used by citizens of all blood types, and it is relatively inexpensive to produce. While it may significantly increase the chance of heart attacks and render patients unable to exercise, it's better than forcibly extracting blood from children or allowing patients to perish."
[effect] government approved synthetic blood has been cited as the leading cause of heart attacks

Nice issue, but I am not sure about the premise. :unsure:

And I think this is because there are two intertwined problems here.

First, we want to discuss whether we should give a priority to former donors when they need a blood transfusion.

But then, this guy died mainly because his blood type was very rare, right? If it had been a common blood type, there would be no such problem.

And I guess one possible solution to the scarcity of donated blood of a rare type could be to require that doctors do not waste the blood of universal donors (O Rh-) on universal recipients who could receive blood from anyone (AB Rh+). This could also have undesirable consequences, because even though we are taught in school that O Rh- type blood can be given to everyone and that AB Rh+ people can receive blood from everyone, I've heard that this is not a safe bet; though Candlewhisper Archive could explain this better, of course.

But I think these are two different lines of discussion, and I guess it would be better if you focused on just one. (So you may want to omit the part where you say that the guy died because his blood type was rare. Sometimes people may be unable to find blood for you, even if your blood type is common, perhaps after a natural disaster or a terrorist attack after which the hospitals are filled with injured people who need blood transfusion.)

Also, your second option reminds me of this creepy news article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -old-mice/

I think the speaker in this option should be a pale and old person, who has a fang or something :p and then s/he must suggest that old people should regularly get blood from the young to be rejuvenated. Maybe something like the following:

[option]"It is a mistake to think only former donors or injured people need fresh blood," sneers @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Dracula, an elderly hematologist, while sipping from a glass of red liquid and squinting in the dim light of your room. "My research has shown that mice are physically and mentally rejuvenated when they are injected with blood specimens drawn from younger mice. There is no reason why the same shouldn't be true for humans. You should make it mandatory for minors to donate blood, not only for sick people, but also the elderly. In this way, we will have a much healthier populace." @@HE@@ smiles, letting you wonder whether you just caught a glimpse of a fang.

Hey, I know this is too wordy, but you could abridge it and use it - if you want to, of course :)

I think this issue definitely calls for a vampire speaker!
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm

This is great. I don't really see any problems, unfortunately for you. :p
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:But then, this guy died mainly because his blood type was very rare, right? If it had been a common blood type, there would be no such problem.

And I guess one possible solution to the scarcity of donated blood of a rare type could be to require that doctors do not waste the blood of universal donors (O Rh-) on universal recipients who could receive blood from anyone (AB Rh+).
Well, I assume the point is that the donor couldn't be saved because all suitable blood had already been used up to save a non-blood-donor with the same rare blood type who just happened to be injured around the same time by a fluke.

Trying to save valuable blood types for when you need them is just common sense, I would expect the doctors to have already been doing that anyway. But if several people with the same inconvenient blood type get hurt around the same time, that won't help.

You do make a good point that "difficult to find a transfusion for" does not necessarily equate "rare". A universal recipient would be easy to find transfusions for even if that blood type itself were very rare, while (to a lesser degree) a universal donor would be tricky to find transfusions for even if that blood type were relatively common. (I am pretty sure that which blood types occurs in which percentages varies by ethnicity, so "common" and "rare" are relative, too. There's always going to be at least one problem patient, though.)

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:@@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Dracula
Bathory.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 am

Vats are now accounted for. Sort of.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:59 pm

Bump
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am

Hello again, Sig#2. :P

I got in an issue reviewing kinda mood and I felt like homing in on your drafts, I guess.

The Issue:
The death of long-time blood donor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, [...] over the years,
I think the comma after donor is unnecessary.
@@HE@@ had apparently lost a lot of blood after being injured in a duel with someone at a Harry Potter convention,
I don't even want to know how that happened... :rofl:
and could not be saved due to a temporary lack of his universal donor blood type.
The over-exaggerated text should be @@HIS@@. :lol:
Also, Idk if "universal" should belong in there or not: I'm not too familiar with blood. :oops:
prioritises donors for blood transfusion.
prioritizes*

Validity: I might also ask that this is an adults-only issue, given the rather bloody subject at hand.
That being said, if the only issues it follows are adult-only issues anyways, then idk if that'd even be necessary.

Option 1:
Who knows, more people
Grammatically a question mark after knows would be more proper, although I'm personally not too sure if that'd be necessary.
patients who don't donate blood regularly are often left to die
Maybe don't donate should be haven't donated?
After all, it's hard to donate blood if you're currently the patient in need of it. :P
Option 2:
You should make it mandatory for minors to donate blood, not just for patients, but for the elderly too.
Aside from this option being horrifying, I think a hyphen after blood may work better than a comma.

All varients of option 3 look good, to me.

I might also add that there's no option to simply dismiss the idea that blood donors donate blood to help others, and not themselves.
I personally think it'd be a better 2nd option, and the current second option might work better as 3(pushing 3 to 4).

Aside from being a rather queasy topic, I think this looks very good! (as usual, of course)
Good luck, Sig#2. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 pm

In fact, if you could find a way to make what's currently option 2 instead an option 4, I think that'd do nicely,
but if you can't, I think it can work as-is.

Also, issue #003 might ban Harry Potter, so consider either changing the description a little or somehow adding that as a validity? :P

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:29 am

Jutsa wrote:I might also add that there's no option to simply dismiss the idea that blood donors donate blood to help others, and not themselves.
Aside from being a rather queasy topic, I think this looks very good! (as usual, of course)
Good luck, Sig#2. :)

Option added, changes effected.

Thanks for the input, Jutsa!
Jutsa wrote:Also, issue #003 might ban Harry Potter, so consider either changing the description a little or somehow adding that as a validity? :P

Eh... People can still be fans of stuff that are banned.

Even then, I was actually doing that as a reference to Issue 788, "Duel Purposes", (that is by me), which has Harry Potter conventions being monitored for dueling. I don't think that the effect tracks Harry Potter book burning.

I thought that it would be humorous to make a self-reference.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:58 am

I like the idea of making blood banks actual banks... :rofl:

It isn't quite what I had at mind, where blood just gets sent to the first person who needs it,
but it's certainly an interesting option. I'll leave it for an editor or something to hammer out the details: It otherwise looks fine to me.
Oh - except this: I hear @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ is just @@DENONYM@@, although I also hear editors replace macros anyways.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:21 am

Jutsa wrote:I like the idea of making blood banks actual banks... :rofl:

It isn't quite what I had at mind, where blood just gets sent to the first person who needs it,
but it's certainly an interesting option. I'll leave it for an editor or something to hammer out the details: It otherwise looks fine to me.
Oh - except this: I hear @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ is just @@DENONYM@@, although I also hear editors replace macros anyways.

I'll let them hammer that out to their heart's content.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?