NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] Burn Noticed

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

[ACCEPTED] Burn Noticed

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am

[title] Bad Trip
[desc] Due to a recent spate of acid attacks in @@CAPITAL@@, many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are calling upon you to face this growing problem. You have attended a charity event in support of the victims, where various individuals are proposing their fix.
[validity] must have jails and law enforcement; crime must not be non-existent or very rare

[option] "Take care of those already affected by acid attacks," cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the victims. "Our faces are marred for the rest of our lives. I've spent many @@CURRENCY@@s on countless surgeries, and I'm still recovering from my trauma. Some of us are blind. We can't get jobs because of how we look. The government should pay for all the surgeries an acid victim needs; they're not mere cosmetic procedures. Economic discrimination against victims should be banned. And attackers should get life sentences in prison since that's what us victims experience."
[effect] people dab their faces with bleach to get free cosmetic surgeries

[option] "The solution is as plain as the nose on my face," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a plumber, speaking to a crowd of acid attack victims. "The chemicals used in these attacks are very easy to obtain. Drain cleaner is the most commonly used fluid in these crimes, and it can be bought for cheap at the nearest store. These dangerous substances are easily accessible everywhere. Outlaw the possession of corrosive substances for everyone except for plumbers. If people need their pipes unclogged, they must call a professional to handle the situation."
[effect] @@NAME@@'s hospitals are cleaned with lemons and vinegar

[option] "Stare the real problem in the face!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, a blind, elderly person. "Immigrants are the ones involved in all these crimes. We didn't have chemical assaults in @@NAME@@ back in my day. You've allowed uncivilized beasts from Bigtopia and Tasmania to bring their savage cultures here. They're importing their barbaric practices, so let's deport them all! Bar all immigrants from entering the @@TYPE@@ and acid throwing will be gone from our great country."
[effect] acid attacks done by native @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are said to sting less
[validity] must allow immigration

[option] "Acid attacks won't melt away that easily," retorts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a weapons enthusiast. "The reason for their rise is the crackdown on weapons. Gangs and other perpetrators of violent crimes have no other choice than to use acid. Without guns and knives, how else can aggressive acts be carried out? It's ridiculous! We're seeing @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ literally scarred for life as a result of these restrictions! Make the humane decision and allow us to own and use weapons again."
[effect] acid attacks have largely vanished due to the prevalence of firearms
[validity] weapon possession is strictly regulated/banned

[option] “You harlots deserved it!” yells @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a man wanted for a recent acid attack. “Yes, I doused my girlfriend in acid, and I don’t feel any remorse! No woman should be able to reject a man's advances or marriage proposals. It should be against the law for women to cheat on their men, too. Acid is the only way to cleanse a woman of these wrongs. She pays the price for fooling around and rejecting me. If I can’t have a woman, then no one can have her!” He continues rambling as he is dragged away by the police.
[effect] it is acceptable for a man to show up to a woman’s door with flowers and a jar of acid

Inspired by the rising acid attacks in Britain.

[title] Bad Trip / Losing Face
[desc] Acid attacks are on the rise in @@NAME@@. Due to a recent spate of attacks in @@CAPITAL@@, many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are calling upon you to face this problem. You have attended a charity event in support of the victims, where various individuals are proposing their fix.
[validity] valid for capitalist nations, nations that allow immigration, and nations where citizens are not allowed to carry arms

[option] "The solution is as plain as the nose on my face," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a plumber, speaking to a crowd of acid attack victims. "The chemicals used in these attacks are easy to obtain. Anyone can buy drain cleaner fluid from the nearest DIY store. This must change. Outlaw the possession of corrosive acid by everyone except for plumbers. If people need their pipes unclogged, they must call a professional to handle the situation."
[effect] plumbers do their business on gold toilets

[option] "Stare the real problem in the face!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, an elderly, local retailer. "Immigrants are the ones involved in all these crimes. We didn't have these attacks back in my day. You've allowed uncivilized beasts from Bigtopia and Tasmania to bring their violent cultures here. They're importing their barbaric practices, so let's deport them all. Bar all immigrants from entering our country and you'll see acid attacks gone from the face of @@NAME@@."
[effect] acid attacks done by @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are said to sting less

[option] "Acid attacks won't melt away that easily," retorted @@RANDOMNAME@@, a weapons enthusiast. "The reason for their rise is the crackdown on weapons. Gangs and other perpetrators of violent crimes have no other choice than to use acid. Without guns and knives, how else can these acts be carried out? It's ridiculous! We're seeing @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ literally scarred for life as a result. Make the humane decision and allow us to own and use weapons again."
[effect] choosing a gun as a weapon over acid is considered a humane and noble thing to do
[title] Bad Trip
[desc] Acid attacks are on the rise in @@NAME@@. Due to a recent spate of attacks in @@CAPITAL@@, many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are calling upon you to face this problem. You have attended a charity event in support of the victims, where various individuals are proposing their fix.
[validity] must be capitalist; must allow immigration

[option] "The solution is as plain as the nose on my face," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a plumber, speaking to a crowd of acid attack victims. "The chemicals used in these attacks are easy to obtain. Anyone can buy drain cleaner from the nearest DIY store. You can get sulfuric acid at motorbike mechanic shops. This must change. Outlaw the possession of corrosive substances for everyone except for plumbers. If people need their pipes unclogged, they must call a professional to handle the situation."

[option] "Stare the real problem in the face!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, an elderly, local retailer. "Immigrants are the ones involved in all these crimes. We didn't have these attacks back in my day. You've allowed uncivilized beasts from Bigtopia and Tasmania to bring their violent cultures here. They're importing their barbaric practices, so let's deport them all. Bar all immigrants from entering our country and you'll see acid attacks gone from the face of @@NAME@@."
[effect] acid attacks done by @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are said to sting less

[option] "Acid attacks won't melt away that easily," retorted @@RANDOMNAME@@, a weapons enthusiast. "The reason for their rise is the crackdown on weapons. Gangs and other perpetrators of violent crimes have no other choice than to use acid. Without guns and knives, how else can these acts be carried out? It's ridiculous! We're seeing @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ literally scarred for life as a result. Make the humane decision and allow us to own and use weapons again."

[option] "None of these proposals put a smile on my face," cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the victims. "You know what will? Free surgeries. The state must pay for the hundreds of surgeries acid attack victims need in order to remedy the physical and psychological trauma we have endured. And the perpetrators of acid attacks must be given life sentences, just like us victims. We are forever mutilated, so our attackers must be kept in jail forever."
[title] Bad Trip
[validity] must be capitalist; must allow immigration; must have jails

[option] "The solution is as plain as the nose on my face," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a plumber, speaking to a crowd of acid attack victims. "The chemicals used in these attacks are easy to obtain. Anyone can buy drain cleaner from the nearest DIY store. You can get sulfuric acid at motorbike mechanic shops. This must change. Outlaw the possession of corrosive substances for everyone except for plumbers. If people need their pipes unclogged, they must call a professional to handle the situation."

[option] "Stare the real problem in the face!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, an elderly, local retailer. "Immigrants are the ones involved in all these crimes. We didn't have these attacks back in my day. You've allowed uncivilized beasts from Bigtopia and Tasmania to bring their violent cultures here. They're importing their barbaric practices, so let's deport them all. Bar all immigrants from entering our country and acid attacks will be gone from our great country."

[option] "Acid attacks won't melt away that easily," retorts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a weapons enthusiast. "The reason for their rise is the crackdown on weapons. Gangs and other perpetrators of violent crimes have no other choice than to use acid. Without guns and knives, how else can these acts be carried out? It's ridiculous! We're seeing @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ literally scarred for life as a result. Make the humane decision and allow us to own and use weapons again."

[option] "All these proposals ignore those already affected by acid attacks," cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the victims. "Our faces are marred for the rest of our lives. I've spent many @@CURRENCY@@s on countless surgeries, and I'm still recovering from my trauma. Some of us are blind. We can't get jobs because of how we look. The government should pay for any surgeries and medical procedures an acid victim needs. Economic discrimination against victims should be banned. And attackers should get life sentences in prison, since that's we have to face."
[title] Bad Trip
[validity] must be capitalist; must allow immigration; must have jails

[option] "Take care of those already affected by acid attacks," cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the victims. "Our faces are marred for the rest of our lives. I've spent many @@CURRENCY@@s on countless surgeries, and I'm still recovering from my trauma. Some of us are blind. We can't get jobs because of how we look. The government should pay for any surgeries and medical procedures an acid victim needs. Economic discrimination against victims should be banned. And attackers should get life sentences in prison, since that's what us victims experience."

[option] "The solution is as plain as the nose on my face," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a plumber, speaking to a crowd of acid attack victims. "The chemicals used in these attacks are very easy to obtain. Drain cleaner, the most commonly used fluid in these crimes, can be bought for cheap at the nearest DIY store. This must change. Outlaw the possession of corrosive substances for everyone except for plumbers. If people need their pipes unclogged, they must call a professional to handle the situation."

[option] "Stare the real problem in the face!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, an elderly, local retailer. "Immigrants are the ones involved in all these crimes. We didn't have acid throwing in @@NAME@@ back in my day. You've allowed uncivilized beasts from Bigtopia and Tasmania to bring their savage cultures here. They're importing their barbaric practices, so let's deport them all! Bar all immigrants from entering the @@TYPE@@ and acid attacks will be gone from our great country."

[option] "Acid attacks won't melt away that easily," retorts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a weapons enthusiast. "The reason for their rise is the crackdown on weapons. Gangs and other perpetrators of violent crimes have no other choice than to use acid. Without guns and knives, how else can aggressive acts be carried out? It's ridiculous! We're seeing @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ literally scarred for life as a result of these restrictions! Make the humane decision and allow us to own and use weapons again."
[title] Bad Trip
[validity] must allow immigration; must have jails

[option] "Take care of those already affected by acid attacks," cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the victims. "Our faces are marred for the rest of our lives. I've spent many @@CURRENCY@@s on countless surgeries, and I'm still recovering from my trauma. Some of us are blind. We can't get jobs because of how we look. The government should pay for all the surgeries an acid victim needs; they're not mere cosmetic procedures. Economic discrimination against victims should be banned. And attackers should get life sentences in prison, since that's what us victims experience."

[option] "The solution is as plain as the nose on my face," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a plumber, speaking to a crowd of acid attack victims. "The chemicals used in these attacks are very easy to obtain. Drain cleaner, the most commonly used fluid in these crimes, can be bought for cheap at the nearest store. This must change. Outlaw the possession of corrosive substances for everyone except for plumbers. If people need their pipes unclogged, they must call a professional to handle the situation."

[option] "Stare the real problem in the face!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, a blind, elderly person. "Immigrants are the ones involved in all these crimes. We didn't have acid throwing in @@NAME@@ back in my day. You've allowed uncivilized beasts from Bigtopia and Tasmania to bring their savage cultures here. They're importing their barbaric practices, so let's deport them all! Bar all immigrants from entering the @@TYPE@@ and acid attacks will be gone from our great country."

[title] Bad Trip
[desc] Due to a recent spate of acid attacks in @@CAPITAL@@, many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are calling upon you to face this growing problem. You have attended a charity event in support of the victims, where various individuals are proposing their fix.
[validity] must have jails; crime must not be non-existent or very rare

[option] "Take care of those already affected by acid attacks," cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the victims. "Our faces are marred for the rest of our lives. I've spent many @@CURRENCY@@s on countless surgeries, and I'm still recovering from my trauma. Some of us are blind. We can't get jobs because of how we look. The government should pay for all the surgeries an acid victim needs; they're not mere cosmetic procedures. Economic discrimination against victims should be banned. And attackers should get life sentences in prison since that's what us victims experience."

[option] "The solution is as plain as the nose on my face," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a plumber, speaking to a crowd of acid attack victims. "The chemicals used in these attacks are very easy to obtain. Drain cleaner, the most commonly used fluid in these crimes, can be bought for cheap at the nearest store. This must change. Outlaw the possession of corrosive substances for everyone except for plumbers. If people need their pipes unclogged, they must call a professional to handle the situation."

[option] "Stare the real problem in the face!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, a blind, elderly person. "Immigrants are the ones involved in all these crimes. We didn't have chemical assaults in @@NAME@@ back in my day. You've allowed uncivilized beasts from Bigtopia and Tasmania to bring their savage cultures here. They're importing their barbaric practices, so let's deport them all! Bar all immigrants from entering the @@TYPE@@ and acid throwing will be gone from our great country."
[validity] must allow immigration

Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 38 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:07 am

Doesn't option 3 require a validity check for having gun regulations?

Also, other than making plumbers rich, wouldn't option 1 make industrial-level cleaning impossible? Does acid only work for unclogging pipes? I think you need these chemicals to really thoroughly clean some places, such as hospital rooms. And if nobody but plumbers can buy them, this is a problem for hospitals.

So how about this effect line: The operating rooms in @@NAME@@'s hospitals are cleaned with vinegar and lemon
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:47 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Doesn't option 3 require a validity check for having gun regulations?

The whole issue required a validity check for having gun regulations. I've changed this so that only Option 3 has this validity check. I've added a 4th option to compensate for that.
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Also, other than making plumbers rich, wouldn't option 1 make industrial-level cleaning impossible? Does acid only work for unclogging pipes? I think you need these chemicals to really thoroughly clean some places, such as hospital rooms. And if nobody but plumbers can buy them, this is a problem for hospitals.

So how about this effect line: The operating rooms in @@NAME@@'s hospitals are cleaned with vinegar and lemon

Thank you for your advice. I've used your proposed effect line. To keep the option humorous, the plumber only advocates acid possession for plumbers, and not cleaners or other businesses.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:18 am

I've chosen "Bad Trip" as the title over "Losing Face". And I also changed the effect line for Option 3.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 am

Tricky topic, you're broaching there.

I'm not averse to tricky topics, and think it's acceptable to have humour on even the darkest subject matter. I'd direct you to this conversation to see how opinions can vary on this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=397761

Broadly, my advice is to keep it tasteful and not to make light of the sheer evil involved here, but at the same time to look for those little edges where you can insert humour without being callous.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Tricky topic, you're broaching there.

I'm not averse to tricky topics, and think it's acceptable to have humour on even the darkest subject matter. I'd direct you to this conversation to see how opinions can vary on this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=397761

Broadly, my advice is to keep it tasteful and not to make light of the sheer evil involved here, but at the same time to look for those little edges where you can insert humour without being callous.

I'm not sure if I implemented your advice well. I've removed a few of the sentences with the word 'face' in them. I've also removed any attempts at humor in Option 4.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 am

I'd be inclined to move option 4 to option 1, as that tells the reader straight off that you, the author, are sensitive to the subject matter and understand how horrifying it is in reality.

Basically start grounded, then spread your narrative wings.

Gotta say I'm really loving your creative output. Almost every issue you write resonates well with me.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:04 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'd be inclined to move option 4 to option 1, as that tells the reader straight off that you, the author, are sensitive to the subject matter and understand how horrifying it is in reality.

Basically start grounded, then spread your narrative wings.

Edited accordingly. Minor edits were also made to the other options.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Gotta say I'm really loving your creative output. Almost every issue you write resonates well with me.

Thanks. :blush:
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 pm

What has capitalism gotta do with this?

Also, in countries with universal health care, the govt. already pays for surgeries
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 am

Australian Republic wrote:What has capitalism gotta do with this?

In all the articles I read about acid attacks, the chemicals used in the attacks were cheaply and easily purchased from stores. In these articles, the proposed solutions involved making retailers restrict sales of corrosive substances and mandating vendors to report any suspicious purchases. I assume that this wouldn't be the case in a non-capitalist country.
Australian Republic wrote:Also, in countries with universal health care, the govt. already pays for surgeries

Thank you for pointing that out. Option 1 has been edited accordingly.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:19 am

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:What has capitalism gotta do with this?

In all the articles I read about acid attacks, the chemicals used in the attacks were cheaply and easily purchased from stores. In these articles, the proposed solutions involved making retailers restrict sales of corrosive substances and mandating vendors to report any suspicious purchases. I assume that this wouldn't be the case in a non-capitalist country.

And this can't happen in a socialist country, because?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 am

Australian Republic wrote:
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:In all the articles I read about acid attacks, the chemicals used in the attacks were cheaply and easily purchased from stores. In these articles, the proposed solutions involved making retailers restrict sales of corrosive substances and mandating vendors to report any suspicious purchases. I assume that this wouldn't be the case in a non-capitalist country.

And this can't happen in a socialist country, because?

Socialist countries suffer from chronic shortages of consumer goods. Acid attacks and the ease of acid purchase are positively correlated. If it is hard to obtain acid in the nation, then acid attacks would not be frequent in the nation.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 am

Australian Republic wrote:And this can't happen in a socialist country, because?

Socialist countries suffer from chronic shortages of consumer goods. Acid attacks and the ease of acid purchase are positively correlated. If it is hard to obtain acid in the nation, then acid attacks would not be frequent in the nation.

I'm in agreement with AR on this. There's no specific reason to wall this off from non-capitalist nations. Socialist/communist nations on NS are not equivilent to their RL counterparts - and even then depending on the time/place of the society shortages or otherwise of consumer goods would vary greatly.

Not to mention, it would not necessarily involve consumer goods. There are other sources of industrial acid and the components used to create it. Workers involved in any industry that uses it could smuggle it out, or it could be obtained from science labs. I get where you are coming from (I think) but let's not forget that this is one of the problems when it comes to legislating against the availability of acid (counting any compound or liquid that would do similar degrees of damage here as acid, you understand) is that dangerous chemicals are abundant and necessary, and even restricting sale of these doesn't rule out someone with a decent background in chemistry manufacturing them.
Last edited by Caracasus on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 am

Caracasus wrote:
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:Socialist countries suffer from chronic shortages of consumer goods. Acid attacks and the ease of acid purchase are positively correlated. If it is hard to obtain acid in the nation, then acid attacks would not be frequent in the nation.

I'm in agreement with AR on this. There's no specific reason to wall this off from non-capitalist nations. Socialist/communist nations on NS are not equivilent to their RL counterparts - and even then depending on the time/place of the society shortages or otherwise of consumer goods would vary greatly.

Not to mention, it would not necessarily involve consumer goods. There are other sources of industrial acid and the components used to create it. Workers involved in any industry that uses it could smuggle it out, or it could be obtained from science labs. I get where you are coming from (I think) but let's not forget that this is one of the problems when it comes to legislating against the availability of acid (counting any compound or liquid that would do similar degrees of damage here as acid, you understand) is that dangerous chemicals are abundant and necessary, and even restricting sale of these doesn't rule out someone with a decent background in chemistry manufacturing them.

Understood. The validity has been changed.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 am

Further comments are welcome.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:34 am

Hello, MI. :)
I do must have to say, I always like the issues you cover. Here's my whack at the mole. :P

The Validity:
The title and issue look fine to me,
but the validity? That seems to really only apply to option 3,
so really, you could hypothetically limit those to option 3.

In fact, now that I look at it, jails aren't even mentioned at all in this issue,
so you can remove that validity altogether.

That being said, I think a validity that should be for the whole issue is crime rate.
I mean, if throwing acid at people is not a crime, then there probably would be no issue here, right? :P

Option 1:
@@CURRENCY@@s
I think @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ would be better? I'm honestly not sure how the editors work their magic, though, so idk if it matters. :blush:
Economic discrimination against victims should be banned. And
I think turning "banned. And" into banned, and would be better.
people dab their faces with bleach to get free cosmetic surgeries
Beautiful. Horrible, but beautiful. :clap:

I actually have no comments for option 2. Nor 3, actually. :P
Well, ok, yeah, something for option 3, but that's explained in my validity box.
Also, yeah, no comment on 4, either. :lol2:

So, that's all. Good luck, MI; this is a good draft. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:52 am

Jutsa wrote:but the validity? That seems to really only apply to option 3,
so really, you could hypothetically limit those to option 3.

In fact, now that I look at it, jails aren't even mentioned at all in this issue,
so you can remove that validity altogether.

That being said, I think a validity that should be for the whole issue is crime rate.
I mean, if throwing acid at people is not a crime, then there probably would be no issue here, right? :P

Thank you for your comments, Jutsa. :) The validity has been edited accordingly. Jails were part of the validity because I was told that you cannot assume the nation has jails. I got around that by not saying jails exist in the nation. If jails are banned in the nation, Option 1 will cause them to exist in the nation again.
Jutsa wrote:Option 1:
@@CURRENCY@@s
I think @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ would be better? I'm honestly not sure how the editors work their magic, though, so idk if it matters. :blush:

@@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ does not exist. @@CURRENCY@@s is the only way to indicate more than one unit of currency.
Jutsa wrote:
Economic discrimination against victims should be banned. And
I think turning "banned. And" into banned, and would be better.

If I did that, the result would be a very long sentence. So no change has been made.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 am

Well, @And: Perhaps you could use Plus, instead of And?

Also, I didn't realize you mentioned prisons in option 1. Somehow I glanced over it and only ctrl+f'd jail. :roll:

Yeah, maybe jails should be a validity after all.... teehee
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 am

Jutsa wrote:Well, @And: Perhaps you could use Plus, instead of And?

I added "too."
Jutsa wrote:Also, I didn't realize you mentioned prisons in option 1. Somehow I glanced over it and only ctrl+f'd jail. :roll:

Yeah, maybe jails should be a validity after all.... teehee

Done.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 am

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:09 am

[title] Bad Trip

I'd cut the first sentence, it makes the writing seem a bit jerky in my opinion and seems redundant with the first clause of the next sentence.

[option] "Take care of those already affected by acid attacks," cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the victims. "Our faces are marred for the rest of our lives. I've spent many @@CURRENCY@@s on countless surgeries, and I'm still recovering from my trauma. Some of us are blind. We can't get jobs because of how we look. The government should pay for all the surgeries an acid victim needs; they're not mere cosmetic procedures. Economic discrimination against victims should be banned. Attackers should get life sentences in prison too, since that's what us victims experience."

I'd cut the comma after too in the last sentence

I dunno man, writing effect lines for this issue is really hard, but it's a pretty heartless effect line.

It's just a different writing styles thing, but I find the writing of this option, similar to the @text a bit jerky with a lot of short sentences.

[box][option] "Acid attacks won't melt away that easily," retorts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a weapons enthusiast. "The reason for their rise is the crackdown on weapons. Gangs and other perpetrators of violent crimes have no other choice than to use acid. Without guns and knives, how else can aggressive acts be carried out? It's ridiculous! We're seeing @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ literally scarred for life as a result of these restrictions! Make the humane decision and allow us to own and use weapons again."

I've never heard of acid attacks being used in a non-domestic sense, is this what's actually happening in the UK?

Overall I tend to try to read issues with the most restrictive validity possible and I don't think the issue totally works with just 1 & 2 as solutions, it feels... incomplete? So perhaps give that a bit more thought.

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:15 am

Ransium wrote:I'd cut the first sentence, it makes the writing seem a bit jerky in my opinion and seems redundant with the first clause of the next sentence.
I'd cut the comma after too in the last sentence

Edited accordingly.
Ransium wrote:

I dunno man, writing effect lines for this issue is really hard, but it's a pretty heartless effect line.

I haven't come up with an alternative yet.
Ransium wrote:It's just a different writing styles thing, but I find the writing of this option, similar to the @text a bit jerky with a lot of short sentences.

Edited accordingly.
Ransium wrote:I've never heard of acid attacks being used in a non-domestic sense, is this what's actually happening in the UK?

Yes. The articles I read said that the restriction of guns and knives has led gangs to use acid.
Ransium wrote:Overall I tend to try to read issues with the most restrictive validity possible and I don't think the issue totally works with just 1 & 2 as solutions, it feels... incomplete? So perhaps give that a bit more thought.

A pro-acid attack option has been included.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:10 am

Further comments are welcome.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 am

Again, this is a really good issue, imo. :clap:

acid attacks have largely vanished due to the prevalence of firearms

Effect line of option 3: Maybe have "firearms" replaced with "gunfights". :p

Aside from that, option 5 I feel, while it does seem to promote the use of acid, seems to only promote it under a specific condition.
Maybe you could somehow phrase this to just include acid usage in general?

That's all I have to say on it. Good luck, MI. :D

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:10 am

As I said before, I'm liking your creative output. Be sure to send this in when you can, and please please keep writing.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?