NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] The White Man's Burden

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

[ACCEPTED] The White Man's Burden

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 am

[title] The White Man's Burden
[desc] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ with albinism have long experienced discrimination as a result of their condition. Following a brutal attack on an albinistic teenager, which left him armless and disfigured, you have been urged to address the persecution of albinos.
[validity] superstitious nations only

[option] "Decapitations, infanticides, kidnappings, and amputations!" yells @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, the albino victim of the attack. "That is what albinos are in danger of every day. We are also alienated from society, ridiculed and discriminated against because of how we look. That is in addition to our medical problems, like visual impairment. We demand an end to this. It should be illegal for anyone to discriminate against albinos, and that includes the media. Make it easier to be an albino in @@NAME@@: give us free eye care, protection against violent attacks, and a lifetime supply of sunscreen!"
[effect] white privilege is real in @@NAME@@

[option] "That doesn't tackle the root of the discrimination," declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, a fervent atheist. "Ignorance and superstition are to blame for all this, so let's stamp them out. They clearly stem from religion, so cut all religious funding. Raise awareness all across @@NAME@@ about what albinism is and isn't. Teach people that albinos are not dangerous or powerful; they're normal @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ just like you and me. We must also erase the absurd notion that the body parts of albinos have any health benefits or magic powers to prevent the sort of attack that we saw recently."
[effect] patients in @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ hospitals often know more about albinism than their own afflictions

[option] "Albinos definitely possess magicks beyond this realm," bellows the self-proclaimed Witch of @@CAPITAL@@, whose person is adorned with amulets made of albino body parts. "Trust me, I'm also a doctor. They have superior healing properties. The hair of an albino is a cure for many afflictions, including baldness, blindness, and cancer. The tears of an orphaned albino child will remedy a broken heart. The government must support my endeavor to bring the gifts of the albino to all in @@NAME@@. The nation can even benefit by sacrificing an albino every now and then for victory in war or a bountiful harvest. Albino hunting guilds and albino farms should be established. I'll be taking 50 percent of the profit, of course."
[effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ spend many @@CURRENCY@@s on hair and nails

[option] "Within the Albino Ones, the purple spirit of the divine dwells," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, Grand High Poobah of the Order of Violet. "Their eyes, the windows to the soul, reveal this to be truth. One observes the lavender ghost of the great Mistress Violet typing within, her presence on earth made physical. That is why the rest of their bodies lack any color; the whole existence of the Albino is devoted to housing the holy. Violet is present, so no other colors are necessary. Therefore, all Albinos must be designated as sacred landmarks. They should be present in all Violetist ceremonies. And upon death, the body of an Albino must be interred in the Grand Temple of Violet. I'm sure this isn't too much to ask, @@LEADER@@."
[effect] albinos use spray tan and contacts to avoid the tediousness of a Violetist ceremony

[title] The White Man's Burden
[desc] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ with albinism have long experienced discrimination as a result of their condition. Following a brutal attack on an albinistic teenager, which left him armless and disfigured, you have been urged to address the persecution of albinos.
[validity] all nations

[option] "Decapitations, infanticides, kidnappings, and amputations!" yells @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, the albino victim of the attack. "That is what albinos are in danger of every day. We are also alienated from society, ridiculed and discriminated against because of how we look. That is in addition to our medical problems, like visual impairment. We demand an end to this. It should be illegal for anyone to discriminate against albinos, and that includes the media. Make it easier to be an albino in @@NAME@@: give us free eye care, protection against violent attacks, and a lifetime supply of sunscreen."
[effect] white privilege is real in @@NAME@@

[option] "That doesn't tackle the root of the discrimination," declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, a fervent atheist. "Ignorance and superstition are to blame for all this. Education is how we stamp them out. Raise awareness all across @@NAME@@ about what albinism is and isn't. Teach people that albinos are not dangerous or powerful; they're normal @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ just like you and me. We must also erase the notion that the body parts of albinos have any health benefits or magic powers to prevent the sort of attack that we saw recently."
[effect] patients in @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ hospitals often know more about albinism than their own afflictions

[option] "Albinos definitely possess magicks beyond this realm," bellows the self-proclaimed Witch of @@CAPITAL@@, whose person is adorned with amulets made of albino body parts. "Trust me, I'm also a doctor. They have superior healing properties. The hair of an albino is a cure for many afflictions, including baldness, blindness, and cancer. The tears of an orphaned albino child can cure a person of a broken heart. The government must support my endeavor to bring the gifts of the albino to all in @@NAME@@. The nation can even benefit by sacrificing an albino every now and then for victory in war or a bountiful harvest. Albino hunting guilds and albino farms should be established. I'll be taking 50 percent of the profit, of course."
[effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ spend many @@CURRENCY@@s on hair and nails

[option] "Within the Albino Ones, the purple spirit of the divine dwells," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, Grand High Poobah of the Order of Violet. "Their eyes, the windows to the soul, reveal this to be truth. One observes the lavender ghost of the great Mistress Violet typing within, her presence on earth made physical. That is why the rest of their bodies lack any color; the whole existence of the Albino is devoted to housing the holy. Violet is present, so no other colors are necessary. Therefore, all Albinos must be designated as sacred landmarks. They should be present in all Violetist ceremonies. And upon death, the body of an Albino must be interred in the Grand Temple of Violet. I'm sure this isn't too much to ask, @@LEADER@@."
[effect] albinos use spray tan and contacts to avoid the tediousness of a Violetist ceremony
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Option 4- So what if the nation is a theocracy of a real life religion?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Option 4- So what if the nation is a theocracy of a real life religion?

The option is talking about the Order of Violet, not @@FAITH@@. I am not sure how that would be relevent?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:28 am

Hmmm... will need appropriate validity checks to make sure this situation is only occurring in suitably nasty nations, but we can see to that backstage.

Nice concept. Clever title.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:30 am

I've made some minor edits. Since Option 2 seemed like the most correct/sensible choice, I gave the atheist a more hard-line stance against religion to make the option a bit radical.

Australian Republic wrote:Option 4- So what if the nation is a theocracy of a real life religion?

Many issues have options featuring Violetists. A nation does not have to have the Grand Order of Violet as their national religion in order to be valid for said options.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Hmmm... will need appropriate validity checks to make sure this situation is only occurring in suitably nasty nations, but we can see to that backstage.

I have changed the validity to superstitious nations.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Nice concept. Clever title.

A good sign. :)

Continued discussion from The Writers' Block:
Christian Democrats wrote:However, I'd adjust the premise a bit (something less morbid). Make the issue valid for all nations, and make it about discrimination against people with albinism.

The draft started normal, but it gradually became less so as I continued writing it. I like morbid. :p Currently, the premise can't apply to all nations. However, I have made the issue about the discrimination of people with albinism as suggested.
Christian Democrats wrote:Possible options:

• Make albinos a protected class, provide free eye care, and fund health research

I have incorporated your suggestions.
Christian Democrats wrote:
  • Libertarian option -- I sympathize, but this is none of the government's business

I think this is unnecessary given the dismiss button.
Christian Democrats wrote:
  • Violetist option -- albinism is a sign of divine _________ (favor, wrath?).

Thank you for your suggestion. I've chosen Violetist favor for Option 4.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:01 am

Yeah, I really can't fault this issue. Not on the broad structural level or the general approach, anyroads, and fine detail can always be discussed later.

I'm personally fine with darker themes for some issues, as to me a bit of darkness makes the lighter moments of humour stand out more, just like salt making chocolate sweeter...

Feel free to send this in whenever you like.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 am

Good luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?