NATION

PASSWORD

An Armory of Antiques

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Vlanlados
Civil Servant

Founded: May 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

An Armory of Antiques

Postby Vlanlados » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:20 pm

[Title]An Armory of Antiques
[Description] After furtively photographing a massive military parade in Blackacre, your chief spy returned with blurry black and white photographs of the strangest military machines. Large bombs that took to the air without any visible pilot, aircraft that had no propellers and rifles that could fire many times without reloading. Concerned generals and military scientists have met to discuss the clear technological edge many nations seem to pose over your own.

Option 1. "Its quite obvious what the issue here is." Says @@RANDOMNAME@@ the designer of the Mrk 1 @@ANIMAL@@, the first tank produced by @@NAME@@ which has been refereed to by soldiers as a 'giant sardine cooker'. "We badly need more great minds in our research operations and it is quite clear that we are currently...behind, to say the least, in arms technology. If we can try and convince some people with incentives to become designers and scientists working for the military as well as some extra funding, I'm sure we will get a modern and well equipped military...eventually, it will probably take some time."
[Effect] Millions of @@CURRENCY@@ are spent desperately trying to improve the military.

Option 2. "Actually, its not as simple as that." Says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an ace pilot who served in last war. "Airpower is the way to the future, this was proven in the last war as me and my squad clearly proved that the canvas wings of our biplanes where key to victory on the fronts we where on. Focusing on all of the military will take to long and will simply just leave us behind, but focusing our efforts on air power is simply what will make us soar above our enemies! In fact, we could even make a sky navy using airships, just think, sky battleships! Now we don't see any of other nations with those!"
[Effect] The military still uses trenches while the airforce is working on jets and sky battleships.

Option 3. "I have to agree with the fly boy over there, just not with just air power." Says General @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ as he paces back and fourth. "I believe that we should instead focus our efforts on different things until they are up to scratch with the rest of the world, then focus on other stuff until that is up to date and so on, repeating the possess until we have everything modern and ready to fight any enemy's of @@NAME@@! It will leave us behind in a few area's for quite a while, but its better then being behind in everything for however long that tank maker's plan will take."
[Effect] @@NAME@@ Is a real life example of schizo tech

Option 4 "It's quite obvious what the issue is." Says Retired General @@RANDOMNAME@@ over the telegram. "This is a clear reason why we should stick to the old ways, if we add all this fancy new thingamajigs to our military, the men will become soft! I mean really, how can we call our men brave when they hide in those metal boxes you call Mark 1 @@ANIMAL@@'s! You would have to be a fool to listen to any of these people! In fact, we should remove those flying machines and so called tanks to focus on what really makes us powerful, our spirit, courage, and strength! Just like in the good old days."
[Effect] The bayonet is cutting edge technology

Option 5 "To be honest, no mater what we do we will be behind in something at this point." Says @@RANDOMNAME@@ a expert in ambush tactics. "We should instead focus on ways to make use of what we have and use that to the best of our ability, as well as using things in multiple ways. Not many people know this but you can easily turn a artillery round into a mine in a pinch, you just be careful on concealing it unless you want it to blow up while you set it. Regardless, we should focus on our tactics, infantry, and reliability above all else and teach the soldiers a thing or two about those artillery mines."
[Effect] @@NAME@@'s army looks more like rebels then a proper standing army.

Option 6 "I overheard everything and personally, I see this in a different way." says a odd looking man who climbed into your office uninvited. "Instead of researching new ways to kill people, why don't you spend that money on new ways for people to enjoy themselves, new ways to get around town, and so on. Heck we should just forget about all this war stuff and work on what really maters, the quality of life in @@NAME@@."
[Effect] Military designers have started designing buses and trams since the military was dismantled.

[Title]An Army of Antique's
[Description]After a massive military parade in Blackacre, a spy returned with black and white photo's of odd looking tanks with fancy looking gadgets, large bombs that can fly and aircraft without propellers. Seeing this as a clear issue, you have called the best military scientists and generals in @@NAME@@ to your office.
[Validity] Low technology nations with Military's

Option 1. "Its quite obvious what the issue here is." Says @@RANDOMNAME@@ the designer of the Mrk 1 @@ANIMAL@@, the first tank produced by @@NAME@@. "We badly need more great minds in our research operations and it is quite clear that we are currently...behind, to say the least, in arms technology. If we can try and convince some people with incentives to become designers and scientists working for the military as well as some extra funding, I'm sure we will get a modern and well equipped military."
[Effect] Millions of @@CURRENCY@@ are spent desperately trying to improve the military.

Option 2. "Actually, its not as simple as that." Says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an ace pilot who served in last war. "Airpower is the way to the future, this was proven in the last war as me and my squad clearly proved that the canvas wings of our aircraft clearly where key to victory on the fronts we where on. Focusing on all of the military will take to long and will simply just leave us behind, but focusing our efforts on air power is simply what will make us soar above our enemy's!"
[Effect] The military still uses trenches while the airforce is working on jets and sky battleships.

Option 3. "I have to agree with the fly boy over there, just not with just air power." Says General @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ as he paces back and fourth. "I believe that we should instead focus our efforts on different things until they are up to scratch with the rest of the world, then focus on other stuff until that is up to date and so on, repeating the possess until we have everything modern and ready to fight any enemy's of @@NAME@@!"

Option 4 "It's quite obvious what the issue is." Says Retired General @@RANDOMNAME@@ over the telegram. "This is a clear reason why we should stick to the old ways, if we add all this fancy new thingamajigs to our military, the men will become soft! I mean really, how can we call our men brave when they hide in those metal boxes you call Mark 1 @@ANIMAL@@'s! You would have to be a fool to listen to any of these people! Just leave things be and we will do fine without those fancy flying machines or metal boxes."
[Effect] The gun has given way to the sword

Option 5 "I overheard everything and personally, I see this in a different way." says a odd looking man who climbed into your office uninvited. "Instead of researching new ways to kill people, why don't you spend that money on new ways for people to enjoy themselves, new ways to get around town, and so on. Heck we should just forget about all this war stuff and work on what really maters, the quality of life in @@NAME@@."
[Effect] Military designers have started designing buses and trams since the military was dismantled.
Last edited by Vlanlados on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"People like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves. When they get blind-drunk, cheat, steal, beat their wives, starve an old woman, when they kill a trapped fox with an axe or riddle the last existing unicorn with arrows, they like to think that the Bane entering cottages at daybreak is more monstrous than they are. They feel better then. They find it easier to live with themselves." ― Andrzej Sapkowski

"Christians. They’re determined to rid the land of any who worship the Horned One. Murdering all the druids, burning the temples, sometimes whole villages, and knocking over the standing stones. This god of peace and love certainly likes to bathe the land in blood." ― Gerald Brom

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:12 pm

I like it.

There's a lot of little editing jobs here, like messing with punctuation and the like, but at its core, this issue has a funny premise and characterful writing.

I'll let the community help you out with the English language stuff, but you should be proud of this - an excellent first draft.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Hello and welcome to Got Issues! It's always nice to see a new writer!

This is brilliant for a first draft :clap: :clap: :clap:

Interesting premise here indeed, but I'm curious, are there any nations that actually have these problem and these primitive technologies? If so, then this would make a great issue!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Vlanlados
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Vlanlados » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Interesting premise here indeed, but I'm curious, are there any nations that actually have these problem and these primitive technologies? If so, then this would make a great issue!

Probably, or at least I would assume so. After all, if the puffing billy banner is anything to go by, I have been in that kind of situation. That, and there is a primitiveness score. Regardless, someone somewhere probably has WW1 style tech....Probably. Also, thanks.
"People like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves. When they get blind-drunk, cheat, steal, beat their wives, starve an old woman, when they kill a trapped fox with an axe or riddle the last existing unicorn with arrows, they like to think that the Bane entering cottages at daybreak is more monstrous than they are. They feel better then. They find it easier to live with themselves." ― Andrzej Sapkowski

"Christians. They’re determined to rid the land of any who worship the Horned One. Murdering all the druids, burning the temples, sometimes whole villages, and knocking over the standing stones. This god of peace and love certainly likes to bathe the land in blood." ― Gerald Brom

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Vlanlados wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Interesting premise here indeed, but I'm curious, are there any nations that actually have these problem and these primitive technologies? If so, then this would make a great issue!

Probably, or at least I would assume so. After all, if the puffing billy banner is anything to go by, I have been in that kind of situation. That, and there is a primitiveness score. Regardless, someone somewhere probably has WW1 style tech....Probably. Also, thanks.

Hmmm... maybe Africa?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Vlanlados
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Vlanlados » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Hmmm... maybe Africa?

Oh, you mean in real life. Well, Africa would defiantly be a good example considering all they really have are trucks and guns. As far as I know, no tanks or aircraft.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:17 am

Vlanlados wrote:

Oh, you mean in real life. Well, Africa would defiantly be a good example considering all they really have are trucks and guns. As far as I know, no tanks or aircraft.

Depends on the country really... Nigeria for instance has a fairly modern armed forces - tanks and fighter planes and all that, as do many other African nations.

If I were you, I'd make primitiveness (or lack of scientific advancement) important but also defense forces. I can envision a primitive state that ploughs a lot of money into its defense forces having tanks, fighter planes etc. bought from overseas.

EDIT: I'd also consider an option where the speaker accepts that your military is never going to be the best, so therefore instead of spending billions on equipment you should instead work towards creating an armed forces that excels in guerrilla warfare.
Last edited by Caracasus on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:26 am

Vlanlados wrote:

North Korea.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:36 am

Africa is not a country, it's a continent, with many, many countries. This primative style military would only apply to some of them. Maybe briefly research some of these nations' militaries (more than one) to get a perspective of how it works
USS Monitor wrote:
Vlanlados wrote:Oh, you mean in real life. Well, Africa would defiantly be a good example considering all they really have are trucks and guns. As far as I know, no tanks or aircraft.

North Korea.

North Korea has no airforce? Well, you learn something new ev everyday

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 am

It absolutely does have an airforce. 940 aircraft, mostly Chinese or Soviet sourced.

I think Monitor is pointing out that they're a good example of a nation whose military tech might lag behind most industrialised nations, though I'd argue that they're not the best example, as they're specifically a nation that places a lot of national self-esteem in their high military strength for their small size. Thanks to "Songun" (military first, as a government priority) their military tech level is right up there with the world leaders: it's their everyday and civilian level tech which is super-primitive.

Though admittedly, counting an Antonov An-2 as part of your airforce does kinda fit the picture. Not that supposedly high tech military nations are much better. The USA still uses B-52s, and Russia uses Tu-95s.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 am

North Korea doesn't need advanced weapons, simply because anyone is too scared of their nukes to touch them. North Korea's threat of nuclear way is probably the only reason why the nation still exists, imho, and that's a horrible and scary thing

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:50 am

Even random thug militias in the most pathetic third-world nation still have AK-47s, which are almost as good as modern assault rifles (possibly better, if you aren't able to provide good maintainance, since they're quite robust). Personal firearm technology hasn't really improved much since WW2.

Where petty warlords lag is expensive military equipment like tanks and planes, mostly because they just can't afford them or the infrastructure (like airfields) it would take to properly support them.

Honestly, I think their weapon technology being more advanced than their everything-else technology is part of the reason why things are such a mess over there. When your only possessions are a mud hut with no running water and an assault rifle, shooting up your neighbors is going to sound more attractive than staying at home.

Australian Republic wrote:North Korea doesn't need advanced weapons, simply because anyone is too scared of their nukes to touch them. North Korea's threat of nuclear way is probably the only reason why the nation still exists, imho, and that's a horrible and scary thing
North Korea has been around for decades before they developed nukes. Even now, their nukes are of pretty dubious quality.

I think the main issue is that even a conventional war against such a heavily-militarized state would have heavy casualties, even for the winning side. In a world that still remembers the horrors of Vietnam, that's going to be a hard political sell regardless of how much North Korea's government deserves to be overthrown.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:29 am

Also, I think an issue about military technology has just been added.

What else can I make of effect lines like "the decommissioned tank divisions of other nations are being bought up en masse by @@NAME@@" and "soldiers find that home gadgets and power tools are more effective as improvised weapons than the guns they've been issued"?

Vlanlados
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Vlanlados » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Also, I think an issue about military technology has just been added.

So, I take it I was beaten to the punch....again....

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Vlanlados wrote:So, I take it I was beaten to the punch....again....
The issue has been posted here, and it's not as close to your premise as I thought you would be.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:17 am

Yeah, it's completely different. I was working on that issue when I commented on your one - if I thought there was an overlap I would have let you know.

Also, that submission was over a year old anyway...

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:00 am

Right. I showed an interest in this and it'd be rude for me not to give some proper detailed feedback. Here goes:

An army of antiques. (Note - possessive apostrophes only go on a word if that word "owns" something else in a sentence. E.G The Dog's basket or The baby's cries. Both the basket and the cries belong to the dog and the baby in those examples. The antiques in this sentence don't "own" anything.)

I'd also suggest, given that this is about the actual weapons and the technology used by your army, changing the name to An Armory of Antiques.

[Description]After a massive military parade in Blackacre, a spy returned with black and white photo's of odd looking tanks with fancy looking gadgets, large bombs that can fly and aircraft without propellers. Seeing this as a clear issue, you have called the best military scientists and generals in @@NAME@@ to your office.

I'm in agreement with CWA here, it's silly and funny enough to make it distinct from the tonnes of military based issues. I like the basic premise. Can I suggest adding a little more... sparkle to it though?

Perhaps: [Description] After furtively photographing a massive military parade in Blackacre, your chief spy returned with blurry black and white photographs of the strangest military machines. Large bombs that took to the air without any visible pilot, aircraft that had no propellers and rifles that could fire many times without reloading. Concerned generals and military scientists have met to discuss the clear technological edge many nations seem to pose over your own.

(I was reminded of some Victorian gentleman explorer commenting on an exotic and strange country with your initial premise and assumed technology level, so changed some of the language around to make it fit. Keep or discard as you see fit. Additionally, you've used possessive apostrophes again where you don't need to.) I would also strongly suggest thinking about having low defense spending as a perquisite for this issue as I've said before.

Option 1. "Its quite obvious what the issue here is." Says @@RANDOMNAME@@ the designer of the Mrk 1 @@ANIMAL@@, the first tank produced by @@NAME@@. "We badly need more great minds in our research operations and it is quite clear that we are currently...behind, to say the least, in arms technology. If we can try and convince some people with incentives to become designers and scientists working for the military as well as some extra funding, I'm sure we will get a modern and well equipped military."

This is a standard response here, though it edges a little too close to the "perfect" answer - e.g. pump funds into R&D. Perhaps the general could note how massively expensive it would be to get the army up to speed with the rest of the world? Also do include some humour - perhaps something like The designer of the Mk1 @@ANIMAL@@ tank, affectionately nick-named The SpamCan by the army

Option 2. "Actually, its not as simple as that." Says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an ace pilot who served in last war. "Airpower is the way to the future, this was proven in the last war as me and my squad clearly proved that the canvas wings of our aircraft clearly where key to victory on the fronts we where on. Focusing on all of the military will take to long and will simply just leave us behind, but focusing our efforts on air power is simply what will make us soar above our enemy's!"

Enemies, no need for a possessive apostrophe. Again, include some humour. Perhaps the ace pilot who served in the last war flew a bi-plane or hot air balloon? I like the humour present in the effect line here - try to replicate that when you're drawing up other effects.

Option 3. "I have to agree with the fly boy over there, just not with just air power." Says General @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ as he paces back and fourth. "I believe that we should instead focus our efforts on different things until they are up to scratch with the rest of the world, then focus on other stuff until that is up to date and so on, repeating the possess until we have everything modern and ready to fight any enemy's of @@NAME@@!"

How is this different from the first option? Surely the first option also calls for massively modernizing everything too?

Option 4 "It's quite obvious what the issue is." Says Retired General @@RANDOMNAME@@ over the telegram. "This is a clear reason why we should stick to the old ways, if we add all this fancy new thingamajigs to our military, the men will become soft! I mean really, how can we call our men brave when they hide in those metal boxes you call Mark 1 @@ANIMAL@@'s! You would have to be a fool to listen to any of these people! Just leave things be and we will do fine without those fancy flying machines or metal boxes."

Okay, a decent option though I think you might be missing a trick here. This option could go full-on crazy. Effect line is... OK, but I'd suggest something that is easier understood as a consequence of the choice. Perhaps the breech-loading musket is considered cutting edge technology by the nation's armed forces (Needs some tidying up)

Option 5 "I overheard everything and personally, I see this in a different way." says a odd looking man who climbed into your office uninvited. "Instead of researching new ways to kill people, why don't you spend that money on new ways for people to enjoy themselves, new ways to get around town, and so on. Heck we should just forget about all this war stuff and work on what really maters, the quality of life in @@NAME@@."

I think this could be funnier... I'll see if I can think of how.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Vlanlados
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Vlanlados » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:16 pm

An army of antiques. (Note - possessive apostrophes only go on a word if that word "owns" something else in a sentence. E.G The Dog's basket or The baby's cries. Both the basket and the cries belong to the dog and the baby in those examples. The antiques in this sentence don't "own" anything.)

I'd also suggest, given that this is about the actual weapons and the technology used by your army, changing the name to An Armory of Antiques.
Alright, that seems fair enough and it still gets the point across, so, I'll rename it that.

I'm in agreement with CWA here, it's silly and funny enough to make it distinct from the tonnes of military based issues. I like the basic premise. Can I suggest adding a little more... sparkle to it though?

Perhaps: [Description] After furtively photographing a massive military parade in Blackacre, your chief spy returned with blurry black and white photographs of the strangest military machines. Large bombs that took to the air without any visible pilot, aircraft that had no propellers and rifles that could fire many times without reloading. Concerned generals and military scientists have met to discuss the clear technological edge many nations seem to pose over your own.

(I was reminded of some Victorian gentleman explorer commenting on an exotic and strange country with your initial premise and assumed technology level, so changed some of the language around to make it fit. Keep or discard as you see fit. Additionally, you've used possessive apostrophes again where you don't need to.) I would also strongly suggest thinking about having low defense spending as a perquisite for this issue as I've said before.

Thats...actually really good. But is it really okay if I use all this stuff? Though, I guess you are kinda requesting for it to be changed to something along the lines like that.

This is a standard response here, though it edges a little too close to the "perfect" answer - e.g. pump funds into R&D. Perhaps the general could note how massively expensive it would be to get the army up to speed with the rest of the world? Also do include some humour - perhaps something like The designer of the Mk1 @@ANIMAL@@ tank, affectionately nick-named The SpamCan by the army

The idea of this option was instead of having a direct focus on a particular part of warfare, they instead just focus on literally everything making progress not only slow, but inefficient, option three is meant to be on the opposite end of this spectrum. Though, I can see how you could think that with the way I wrote it, also, will probably think of a good nickname, probably something in the lines of dark humor.

Enemies, no need for a possessive apostrophe. Again, include some humour. Perhaps the ace pilot who served in the last war flew a bi-plane or hot air balloon? I like the humour present in the effect line here - try to replicate that when you're drawing up other effects.

The part where he says "Me and my squad clearly proved that the canvas wings of our aircraft" was meant to imply he flew a biplane, which, back then where made of wood and canvas. Regardless, I do know I could tack something on it to make it a bit more silly and funny.

How is this different from the first option? Surely the first option also calls for massively modernizing everything too?

As I stated in the first thing, its meant to be the other extreme, where you focus so extremely on one thing that other things get neglected, say, having ww1 dreadnought battleships while also having nuclear submarines. Again, I can however see how you could think its too similar. I'll again, try to think of something to fix it.

Okay, a decent option though I think you might be missing a trick here. This option could go full-on crazy. Effect line is... OK, but I'd suggest something that is easier understood as a consequence of the choice. Perhaps the breech-loading musket is considered cutting edge technology by the nation's armed forces (Needs some tidying up)

Could change the effect to say "The Gatling gun is considered cutting edge technology." instead, would make it have less of a negative hit to scientific advancement though.

I think this could be funnier... I'll see if I can think of how.

Okay, thanks for that and everything else.

I'll probably make another draft in a few days.
Last edited by Vlanlados on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:54 am

Australian Republic wrote:

Interesting premise here indeed, but I'm curious, are there any nations that actually have these problem and these primitive technologies? If so, then this would make a great issue!

As the 90th most primitive nation on NS (wait, only 90th?! I used to be at 46 before that hiatus!) I'd say yes, there are some pretty primitive nations out there.

Vlanlados wrote:[Effect] The military still uses trenches while the airforce is working on jets and sky battleships.

Even modern militaries still use trenches in some situations. Maybe have it as something ridiculous, like bolt-action rifles.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Vlanlados wrote:
Caracasus wrote:Okay, a decent option though I think you might be missing a trick here. This option could go full-on crazy. Effect line is... OK, but I'd suggest something that is easier understood as a consequence of the choice. Perhaps the breech-loading musket is considered cutting edge technology by the nation's armed forces (Needs some tidying up)
Could change the effect to say "The Gatling gun is considered cutting edge technology." instead, would make it have less of a negative hit to scientific advancement though.
Nah, if you're going to be calling something cutting-edge technology, it should be something with an actual cutting edge, like a sword or bayonet.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Vlanlados wrote:Could change the effect to say "The Gatling gun is considered cutting edge technology." instead, would make it have less of a negative hit to scientific advancement though.
Nah, if you're going to be calling something cutting-edge technology, it should be something with an actual cutting edge, like a sword or bayonet.

I think bayonets are the perfect thing for this. Because other issues reference the fact that the nation's army has guns, but the idea of a bayonet is so old that it just seems common sense. In short- use bayonet.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Vlanlados
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Vlanlados » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Draft 2 done.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:34 am

OK then, some further thoughts.

1) effect line for option 1. Make it funnier. With effect lines, think about what the unintended consequences would be here. I can imagine one of the biggest consequences would be that your nation would possess state of the art weapons whilst whole areas of the country don't have electricity. Something like that.

2) effect line for option 2. To the best of my knowledge, soldiers today still use trenches. Replace it with muskets maybe? The issue is about technology not tactics.

3) Personally I feel that option 3 is redundant.

4) Merge option 4 and 5. The outcome is the same and frankly I think option 5 is the funnier of the two. I like the effect line for it. Links nicely to the option.

5) Option 6? I want to know more about this person. Make them a stronger character. As it is, you've got a typical "let's not fund the army at all" option of which there are many.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:42 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:

As the 90th most primitive nation on NS (wait, only 90th?! I used to be at 46 before that hiatus!) I'd say yes, there are some pretty primitive nations out there.

Oh no. I meant in real life

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?