NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] How To Print Money?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[ACCEPTED] How To Print Money?

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 am

{Current Draft}

[validity] only valid for nations with a physical currency

[desc] After a spot sample, it was estimated that up to ten percent of all physical money in circulation was counterfeit. Worried ministers in the Treasury department point out that the culprits are still at large and that @@CURRENCY@@ could be severely devalued over time.

[option] "We must find the perpetrators of this vile act and stop them!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chancellor of the Treasury, unloading a suitcase of the counterfeit notes on your desk. "These fake bills just keep coming and they don't stop coming. I'm fed up with this and I insist that we do something. With a free hand and a special task force under my control, I should be able to stamp out all forms of counterfeiting within a month."
[effect] entire families are arrested for playing board games with fake cash

[option] "An easier solution would be to implant small microchips into our notes and coins," proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Finance, showing you a prototype. "This would ensure that all genuine notes could be immediately verified with a short scan of the microchip."
[effect] dropped coins lose all of their monetary value

[option] "That's absurd! It'll cost you hundreds to mint a 1 @@CURRENCY@@ coin! Wouldn't it be much simpler if a 1 @@CURRENCY@@ coin was actually worth 1 @@CURRENCY@@?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gold magnate, storming into your office. "If you used gold coins instead, not only would the coins have intrinsic value, but their high density would make it harder to counterfeit. After that, all that glitters will be gold, and that's all we'll need to know."
[effect] most @@CURRENCY@@ coins are riddled with bite marks

[option] "What a boring, utilitarian solution," snubs @@RANDOMNAME@@, an uppity artist, who is currently painting a mural on your ceiling. "The correct way should be to issue new notes and coins, and adorn them with elegant and intricate patterns. Not only will they be hard to copy, but they'll look fabulous as well. Only then will it be difficult for criminals to make a mould."
[effect] shopkeepers use microscopes to verify the authencity of banknotes

[option] "What's so wrong with making fake cash?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, a mysterious stranger wearing shades, looking pointedly in your direction. "If the government can print money, then why can't I? Sometimes, when I need to pay for gas, I realise that I'm out of dough, so I just make more on the go. People like me help to stimulate the economy, so there's really nothing wrong with a little forgery."
[effect] @@CURRENCY@@ is practically worthless after counterfeiting was legalised

{Original Draft}

[validity] only valid for nations with a physical currency

[desc] After a routine check, it was discovered that almost half of all physical money in circulation was counterfeit. Worried treasurers point out that the culprits are still at large and that @@CURRENCY@@ could be severely devalued over time.

[option] "We must find the perpetrators of this vile act and stop them!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chancellor of the Treasury, unloading a suitcase of the counterfeit notes on your desk. "These fake bills just keep coming and they don't stop coming. I'm fed up with this and I insist that we do something." @@HE@@ shows you one of the bogus notes, and continues, "I mean, look at this, her fingers are painted on her forehead!"

[option] "Why don't we go back to using the gold standard?" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gold magnate, sauntering into your office. "How about minting our coins with actual gold? Not only would the coins have intrinsic value, but all you need to do to verify their authenticity is a simple weight and displacement test. After that, all that glitters will be gold, and that's all we'll need to know."
[effect] coin inspectors have a habit of shouting "Eureka!" and running wildly in the street

[option] "Another way would be to implant small microchips into our notes and coins," proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Finance, showing you a prototype. "This would ensure that all genuine notes could be immediately verified with a short scan of the microchip. Of course, if they are exposed to the elements, the chip would likely stop working. But hey, that's just a concept, and I'm sure the notes could use a little change themselves."

[option] "What a boring, utilitarian solution," snubs @@RANDOMNAME@@, an uppity artist, who is currently painting a mural on your ceiling. "The correct way should be to issue new notes and coins, and adorn them with elegant and intricate patterns. Not only will they be hard to copy, but they'll look fabulous as well. Only then will it be difficult for criminals to make a mould."
[effect] it costs thousands of @@CURRENCY@@ just to produce a single note

[option] "What's so wrong with making fake cash?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, a mysterious stranger wearing shades, looking pointedly in your direction. "If the government can print money, then why can't I? Sometimes, when I need to pay for gas, I realise that I'm out of dough. So I just make more on the go. Just ignore counterfeiting and the problem should go away, or something."
[effect] @@CURRENCY@@ is practically worthless after counterfeiting was legalised

References:
All Star~Smash Mouth
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 am, edited 8 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:25 am

I searched the word counterfeit in the issue spoiler thread and didn't find anything, so you should be good
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

Raionitu wrote:I searched the word counterfeit in the issue spoiler thread and didn't find anything, so you should be good

Thanks!

(I honestly should have done that myself) :lol:
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Raionitu wrote:I searched the word counterfeit in the issue spoiler thread and didn't find anything, so you should be good

Thanks!

(I honestly should have done that myself) :lol:

Cheers!
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm going to be an arsehole to an issue that's better than anything I could have done myself, so here we go...

1. The effect for ooption 1 :rofl: :rofl: :lol2:
2. Wiat, doesn't counterfiting pre-date fiat mon ey? Didn't counterfitting exist during the time of the Gold Standard?
3. Option 3 :rofl: :lol2: :rofl: Although, I could imagine that microchips in coins would be more durable than those in notes. Either way, it would funny to think how vending machines would work
4. Option 4 Take a look at the new Australian $5 note (make sure you see the NEW one), and Canadian... well all their notes
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Australian Republic wrote:1. The effect for ooption 1 :rofl: :rofl: :lol2:

Ha ha, it actually took me quite some time to think of that one. :)
Australian Republic wrote:2. Wiat, doesn't counterfiting pre-date fiat mon ey? Didn't counterfitting exist during the time of the Gold Standard?

Yes, but like @@HE@@ said, all you require is a "simple" weight and displacement test to verify its purity.
Australian Republic wrote:3. Option 3 :rofl: :lol2: :rofl: Although, I could imagine that microchips in coins would be more durable than those in notes. Either way, it would funny to think how vending machines would work

I guess that you would have to use notes instead... ... (or have a coin scanner that functions like a library book return scanner) :blink:
Australian Republic wrote:4. Option 4 Take a look at the new Australian $5 note (make sure you see the NEW one), and Canadian... well all their notes

That is... ... a lot of detail. I assume that they already picked that option, then. :p
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 am

A better title is needed.

Singapore no2 wrote:Has a counterfeiting issue been done before?

Not that I am aware of, but frieden-und_freudenland's recent submission Toss The Coin touches on it tangentially. That's an issue with a high likelihood of publication, so make sure you don't overlap it.

[desc] After a routine check, it was discovered that almost half of all physical money in circulation was counterfeit. Worried treasurers point out that the culprits are still at large and that @@CURRENCY@@ could be severely devalued over time.

It's not believable that a routine check could check over all the physical money in circulation.

I'd suggest changing it to a "spot sample" and to "estimated", and make it "up to ten percent of".

"Worried treasurers" sounds odd too, I'd suggest instead, "Worried ministers in the Treasury department"

[option] "We must find the perpetrators of this vile act and stop them!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chancellor of the Treasury, unloading a suitcase of the counterfeit notes on your desk. "These fake bills just keep coming and they don't stop coming. I'm fed up with this and I insist that we do something." @@HE@@ shows you one of the bogus notes, and continues, "I mean, look at this, her fingers are painted on her forehead!"

Hang about, if they're bad fakes, then how are they getting away with it?

Suggest changing the narrative here.

Also, I'd suggest you actually propose a solution rather than restate the problem in this option. Don't just say that the perpetrators have to be stopped: say what needs to be done to achieve this.

[option] "Why don't we go back to using the gold standard?" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gold magnate, sauntering into your office.

Minting coins with gold is not what the gold standard means. Good option, but needs phrasing properly.

"How about minting our coins with actual gold? Not only would the coins have intrinsic value, but all you need to do to verify their authenticity is a simple weight and displacement test. After that, all that glitters will be gold, and that's all we'll need to know."
[effect] coin inspectors have a habit of shouting "Eureka!" and running wildly in the street

I'd suggest instead

[effect]most @@CURRENCY@@ coins have bite marks in them

[option] "Another way would be to implant small microchips into our notes and coins," proposes @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Finance, showing you a prototype. "This would ensure that all genuine notes could be immediately verified with a short scan of the microchip. Of course, if they are exposed to the elements, the chip would likely stop working. But hey, that's just a concept, and I'm sure the notes could use a little change themselves."

I like this, but please don't have people talk down their own options. The last two sentences should be cut.

The following option should then point out the biggest downside, which is that it'll cost ridiculous amounts to mint such coins. That'll require some shift in your narrative, as it's not a very artist thing to point out. Maybe move the microchip solution up one space, and have the pro-gold guy point out that. Something like "That's ridiculous - it'll cost you 20 @@CURRENCY@@ to mint a 1 @@CURRENCY@@ coin. Wouldn't it be simpler if a 1 @@CURRENCY@@ coin was worth 1 @@CURRENCY@@?", which would then segue into his actual position.

[effect] it costs thousands of @@CURRENCY@@ just to produce a single note

Naa, that effect line doesn't follow, as complex patterning is exactly the solution that real world mints use. Maybe:

[effect]shopkeepers use microscopes to verify if banknotes are real or fake

[option] "What's so wrong with making fake cash?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, a mysterious stranger wearing shades, looking pointedly in your direction. "If the government can print money, then why can't I? Sometimes, when I need to pay for gas, I realise that I'm out of dough. So I just make more on the go. Just ignore counterfeiting and the problem should go away, or something."

This could instead be phrased as if the speaker actually believes in his position.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Changes done.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:03 am

RE: Title: How to print money?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:55 am

Australian Republic wrote:RE: Title: How to print money?

The joke that Shrek lived in a swamp, thus "swamped" with counterfeit cash. :p

The issue has a lot of All Star meme jokes.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:09 am

Yeah, not totally sold on the title, I have to say. That will likely change somewhere down the line, and Aussie's title is as good as anything I can think of.

Otherwise, this draft looks totally ready to me. Feel free to send it in, or to let it brew.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Yeah, not totally sold on the title, I have to say. That will likely change somewhere down the line, and Aussie's title is as good as anything I can think of.

Otherwise, this draft looks totally ready to me. Feel free to send it in, or to let it brew.

Ok. I will submit it (With the revised title)
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:01 am

Damn, you submitted this as I was posting about having one last read, well good luck

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:33 am

Sorry, my fault Aussie.

Keep commenting by all means, and I can amend the draft backstage if the author wants me too. Just thought it was a done issue, so no point hanging about.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:54 am

Not your fault CWA, mine, as I don't usually make these kinds of comments

My only two comments would be:

A) Option 3- but we already have gold coins! Specify that you're refering specifically to the material, not the colour
B) Option 4- maybe specify that the bank notes are made of polymere

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:20 am

Australian Republic wrote:Not your fault CWA, mine, as I don't usually make these kinds of comments

My only two comments would be:

A) Option 3- but we already have gold coins! Specify that you're refering specifically to the material, not the colour

Great point, I can add a validity criteria to exclude the issue from nations that have gold as their currency.

B) Option 4- maybe specify that the bank notes are made of polymere

Will let Singapore make the call on that one.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:45 am

Ah dumb me, living in the past...

Turns out that RFID chips in money are in fact a real thing, already used, and the costs aren't prohibitive at all.

Being an old man, I forget just how far electronics has come "since I were a boy".

That does change the narrative somewhat, as they're definitely not prone to being damaged by being dropped, and they're really cheap.

I'll TG you with some ideas, Singapore.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:16 pm

No. That's not what I meant. Australia has gold coins, the Euro has golcoimd coins, the USA has gold coins, but none of them are made of gold. "Gold coins" refers to the colour, not the material it's made of. Same with "silver coins" and "bronze coins"

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:05 am

Sure, but Australia's currency isn't "the gold coin". You wouldn't put "gold" in your @@currency@@ field just because your one and two dollar coins are golden coloured.

If a currency is being proposed as being changed to "gold coins" by a "gold magnate" talking about "intrinsic value", I think it's pretty damn obvious we're talking about the material, not a gold-coloured coin from a gold-coloured magnate talking about the coin's spiritual essence.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:07 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:a gold-coloured magnate talking about the coin's spiritual essence.

Lol. :lol2:
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 am

All that glitters is gold,
Only shooting stars break the mould.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 am

Congratulations, Singapore no2!
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:47 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Congratulations, Singapore no2!

Thanks, buddy! =)
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:03 am

Congratulations!

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 am

Australian Republic wrote:Congratulations!

Hooray!

(Still waiting for the official entry into the issue list, so as to use that "for" pun in my signature.)
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?