NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]Spring Forward, Fall Back

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT]Spring Forward, Fall Back

Postby The Atlae Isles » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:54 pm

[desc]After @@NAME@@ set its clocks ahead one hour for the international Daylight Saving Time, complaints of sleep deprivation and lost productivity began to roll in. In fact, after a very stressful meeting last night, many came back an hour late! The amount of confusion led many to advocate for abolishing Daylight Saving Time in @@NAME@@.

[option]"Look, it's not my fault we're late." Yawned @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Science, spilling coffee on the table. "We're already sleeping...4 hours a night with this...backbreaking work. Now you expect us to...wake up an hour earlier? @@LEADER@@...sleep is very...important. It gets rid of...toxins...in the brain, and messing...with it can lead to higher rates of...suicide...after the first...few days. Just abolish...Daylight...Saving...Ti..." @@HE@@ promptly falls asleep on the desk.
[effect]geeks explain the erratic shift in time as "aliens messing with the time-wave"

[option]"The...the waste of time!" Cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Productivity, the only person to arrive one hour early, as @@HE@@ progresses into a seizure-like state. "We lost millions, no, BILLONS with a B, after the @@CAPITAL@@ Stock Exchange opened an hour late! This cannot go on any longer, and we can't go back! Keep Daylight Saving Time on forever!"
[option]the @@DENONYM@@ Winter Festival starts 1 hour early every year

[option]"Ignore them, @@LEADER@@." Exclaims your optimistic, happy-go-lucky aide. "Daylight Saving Time gives us more sunlight in the summer, saving us a lot in our electricity bill! Besides, @@LEADER@@, everyone else has Daylight Saving Time. As for those sleepyheads," @@HE@@ waves dismissively over the groggy group, "they should have slept earlier. Just push it forward 1 hour in the spring and pull it back in the fall, and there's no problem."
[effect]many spend extra daylight hours in bed

[option]"You know, the concept "Daylight Saving Time" has got me thinking," murmurs radical activist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Why don't we go literally in the interpretation? Every time the sun sets, we move @@NAME@@ back 12 hours, so workers have no excuse to leave work. Of course, they need to sleep, but that's why we invest in whips. As soon as they start to nod off-" @@HE@@ cracks a sinister-looking whip and smiles evilly.
[effect]astronomers compare other planets' days to the @@DENONYM@@ day

[desc]After @@NAME@@ set its clocks ahead one hour for the international Daylight Saving Time, complaints of sleep deprivation began to roll in. In fact, after a very stressful meeting last night, many came back an hour late! The amount of confusion led many to advocate for abolishing Daylight Saving Time in @@NAME@@.

[option]"Look, it's not my fault we're late." Yawned @@RANDOMNAME@@, spilling coffee on the table. "We're already sleeping 4 hours a night with this backbreaking work. Now you expect us to wake up an hour earlier? @@LEADER@@, sleep is very important. It gets rid of toxins in the brain, and messing with it can lead to higher rates of suicide. You must abolish Daylight Saving Time now!" @@HE@@ promptly falls asleep on the desk.
[effect]sleepy clockmakers and programmers rework @@NAME@@'s timekeeping system after @@NAME@@ abolished Daylight Saving Time

[option]"Ignore them, @@LEADER@@." Exclaims your optimistic, happy-go-lucky aide. "Daylight Saving Time gives us more sunlight in the summer, saving us a lot in our electricity bill! Besides, @@LEADER@@, everyone else has Daylight Saving Time. As for those sleepyheads," @@HE@@ waves dismissively over the groggy group, "they should have slept earlier. No reason to get rid of Daylight Saving Time here!"

[option]"You know, the concept "Daylight Saving Time" has got me thinking," murmurs radical activist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Why don't we go literally in the interpretation? If you could change the time so that it was never night, we could keep our workers working forever. Of course, they need to sleep, but that's why we have whips. As soon as they start to nod off-" @@HE@@ cracks a sinister-looking whip and smiles evilly.
[effect]@@NAME@@'s days are the longest in @@REGION@@

I'm sure that Option 3 and all of the effect lines need some work. Let me hear the criticism!
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:28 am

This is better than anything I can produce, so I'm just gonna be a nit-picking arsehole and criticise something better than I can make myself :)

The Atlae Isles wrote:[desc]After @@NAME@@ set its clocks ahead one hour for the international Daylight Saving Time, complaints of sleep deprivation began to roll in. In fact, after a very stressful meeting last night, many came back an hour late! The amount of confusion led many to advocate for abolishing Daylight Saving Time in @@NAME@@.

An hour less sleep once a year is nothing, and you make it up at the other day when you gain an hour in autumn. This isn't really an issue, sorry. If it really bothers you, just sleep one hour earlier than you normally do. A different approach to daylight savings could be th Gold Coast/Tweed border in Australia where NSW observes daylight savings and QLD doesnt, so approx. 600,000 live amongst two time zones for half the year, causing confusion

[option]"Look, it's not my fault we're late." Yawned @@RANDOMNAME@@, spilling coffee on the table. "We're already sleeping 4 hours a night with this backbreaking work. Now you expect us to wake up an hour earlier? @@LEADER@@, sleep is very important. It gets rid of toxins in the brain, and messing with it can lead to higher rates of suicide. You must abolish Daylight Saving Time now!" @@HE@@ promptly falls asleep on the desk.
[effect]sleepy clockmakers and programmers rework @@NAME@@'s timekeeping system after @@NAME@@ abolished Daylight Saving Time

An hour doesn't make much difference and you re-gain it in autumn. A better approach here would be a night shift work either complaining about an extra hour of work, or a lost hour's wage

[option]"Ignore them, @@LEADER@@." Exclaims your optimistic, happy-go-lucky aide. "Daylight Saving Time gives us more sunlight in the summer, saving us a lot in our electricity bill! Besides, @@LEADER@@, everyone else has Daylight Saving Time. As for those sleepyheads," @@HE@@ waves dismissively over the groggy group, "they should have slept earlier. No reason to get rid of Daylight Saving Time here!"

Once a year

[option]"You know, the concept "Daylight Saving Time" has got me thinking," murmurs radical activist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Why don't we go literally in the interpretation? If you could change the time so that it was never night, we could keep our workers working forever. Of course, they need to sleep, but that's why we have whips. As soon as they start to nod off-" @@HE@@ cracks a sinister-looking whip and smiles evilly.
[effect]@@NAME@@'s days are the longest in @@REGION@@

So you're gonna pick up @@NAME@@ and physically move it to the Arctic/Antartic, so that you can have the midnight sun? Hillarious! But what do you do in winter?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:07 am

Just so you know, Ransium did an issue on this topic some time ago, called A Switch in Time Kills Nine.

Not that that stops you writing or submitting this, but obviously any issue written would need to be better than his one to displace it from the issue pool.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:11 am

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:18 am

Or you could make it about a different topic relating to daylight savings, like I suggested earlier
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:21 am

editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Australian Republic wrote:This is better than anything I can produce, so I'm just gonna be a nit-picking arsehole and criticise something better than I can make myself :)

:) *reads the next paragraph* Uh-oh.
Australian Republic wrote:-snip-

The entire argument seems to be that DST is once a year, which it is, and therefore doesn't make much of an impact.

While it may not have much of an impact when you aggregate the entire year, a recurring thing immediately after DST is that sleep cycles are disrupted and nationally, productivity falls temporarily. I have edited the draft to say such.

Is it too late (or redundant) to say I've made another draft? Well, 2nd draft bump.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?