NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Toss The Coin?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:56 am

Narratively, it's one of the more established patterns for NS issues:

A) Mostly sensible option
B) Different mostly sensible option
C) Crazy option.

Sticking to that creates good issue outcomes, especially if you phrase things carefully enough to get an equal split between A and B, and then leave C for fringe nations who want to go insane.

And yes, the idea would be that if any nation chooses to massively devalue it's currency for trivial reasons, the economy should collapse horribly.

Of course, as NS doesn't account for or simulate inflation, that'll lead to some fun backstage discussions as to how we actually show this.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 am

The Singapore and US silver $1 coins are both octagons (I think) (not the gold US coins)

But they have round edges so. The ones that don't have round edges are:
The Australian 50 cent coin

Which I've never had nor heard of an issue with regarding vending machines

The Hong Kong $2 coin

Which actually is worse than decagon shaped, but I have no idea whether or not they work in vending machines (but it'd be pretty stupid if they didn't)

Oddly enough, the new Australian $5 note didn't work in vending machines, as the program wasn't updated properly to accept them, but I'm pretty sure that's been fixed now

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:
Fine, but EXPLAIN the consequences

The hilarious consequence is that there is practically no difference between the old circular coins and the new chiliagonal coins. Despite all the trouble taken, they are almost the same. I mean, the difference would probably be imperceptible.

Yes, I know that. In fact, I explained them earlier However, explain it in the issue :)
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 am

Current option 2 will be problematic to stat as "pressurize" is so vague. I'd suggest being explicit as to whether you're suggesting diplomatic requests, trade sanctions, or military threats.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:46 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Current option 2 will be problematic to stat as "pressurize" is so vague. I'd suggest being explicit as to whether you're suggesting diplomatic requests, trade sanctions, or military threats.

Would it work if @@NAME@@ threatened to restrict its citizens' freedom to travel to East Lebatuck? A tourism sanction could also be a trade sanction, in a sense. Because it targets the economy of East Lebatuck.

But it also has an interesting twist: Trade sanctions do not necessarily restrict the freedom of the people in the sanctioning nation, but here they will do just that.
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:00 am

Trade sanctions are always treated as a restriction on the home nations' economic freedoms, as they prevent trade with a potential market

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 am

OK, now East Lebatuck has to choose between changing its coins or giving up on the tourism income generated by @@NAME@@'s citizens.

How does the expression "throwing a diplomatic tantrum" in the effect line sound to native speakers?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:18 am

Sounds good.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:16 am

Trotterdam wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote:Coins with an even number of sides (squares, hexagons) will not fit in a vending machine, because it can't be rotated in a circle. Therefore, coins are either round or have an odd-number of sides which are rounded (British coins come to mind).
I was confused about what you meant about "rotating in a circle", but luckily I remembered something I read once about manhole covers and managed to track down what you're talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_triangle#Reuleaux_polygons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_of_constant_width

While I'm at it, I noticed this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coins_of_Turkey:
Since €2 is worth roughly four times more, vending machines affected had to be upgraded at the expense of their owners.
So, that's a fairly explicit admission that changing either coin wasn't really necessary, they just pressured Turkey to change their coin to save some money. (European money, that is - designing a new coin and replacing all the old ones is probably somewhat expensive.)

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_detector#Coin_detectors for what modern vending machines can theoretically recognize.

My suggestion is bring back the "improve vending machines" option, but rework it's also the "free market" option, so instead of "sponsor science", it's "vending machine owners should solve their own problems from their own money".

I guess I am no longer interested in the "improve vending machines" option. The problem is that it is too much of an obvious solution, perhaps.

I added a different compromise option, though (option 3). I thought that, considering we have a speaker who says @@CURRENCY@@ is too valuable and must be devalued, we can also have an antagonist who instead suggests that something must be done to make the East Lebatuckese Lira more valuable. (and I don't force people to destroy their economy this way)

What do you think? I guess I've written a very wordy option there, so I welcome all suggestion on how I can trim it. And if you have good joke ideas, feel free to share them :)

Also, this time nobody has provided any positive or negative feedback on the title. What's going on? :p

Do you like the title? Do you have any title suggestions?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:26 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I added a different compromise option, though (option 3). I thought that, considering we have a speaker who says @@CURRENCY@@ is too valuable and must be devalued, we can also have an antagonist who instead suggests that something must be done to make the East Lebatuckese Lira more valuable. (and I don't force people to destroy their economy this way)
Improving an economy on short notice is a lot harder than crashing it.

It's possible to raise the value of the coin without actually improving their economy, by just buying a bunch of liras and destroying them, but that would be wasting a lot of your own money.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:30 am

Titlewise, there's a lot of things you could do.

• Toss The Coin?
  • Don't Discount This
  • Size Matters

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:31 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I added a different compromise option, though (option 3). I thought that, considering we have a speaker who says @@CURRENCY@@ is too valuable and must be devalued, we can also have an antagonist who instead suggests that something must be done to make the East Lebatuckese Lira more valuable. (and I don't force people to destroy their economy this way)
Improving an economy on short notice is a lot harder than crashing it.

Yep, I know, that's the catch :) This tourist is only interested in buying stuff like tobacco and wine from East Lebatuck for low prices. S/he must also know that the East Lebatuckese economy will not get better overnight. S/he just tries to trick @@LEADER@@, maybe, and with no duty imposed, s/he can buy this stuff for even less money.

Trotterdam wrote:It's possible to raise the value of the coin without actually improving their economy, by just buying a bunch of liras and destroying them, but that would be wasting a lot of your own money.

Isn't that WAY too crazy?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:34 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Titlewise, there's a lot of things you could do.

• Toss The Coin?
  • Don't Discount This
  • Size Matters

Oh, thanks, these are great! I think I'll go with "Toss The Coin?"

Any comments on option 3?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:34 am

I guess the problem here is that the real European Union chose the crazy option, and now we're feeling we can't include any less-crazy options on the issue or it won't represent reality anymore.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 am

The title is okay, I guess, but I don't get the ""side of the coin" thing. Don't all the sides have the same value?

CWA's are great (though i'm not too fond of "Don't Disccount This")

How about an option for East Lebetuck to ditch the lira and start using the @@CURRENCY@@?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:38 am

Australian Republic wrote:The title is okay, I guess, but I don't get the ""side of the coin" thing. Don't all the sides have the same value?

CWA's are great (though i'm not too fond of "Don't Disccount This")

How about an option for East Lebetuck to ditch the lira and start using the @@CURRENCY@@?

Hmm, but that would be too close to Option 2. In either case, @@NAME@@ is bullying East Lebatuck: just the specific content is different.

Plus, how do you convince another nation to use your money? What would be the consequences of switching to @@CURRENCY@@ for East Lebatuck?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:58 am

This is NationStates, where's the option that bans vending machines?

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:47 am

Australian Republic wrote:This is NationStates, where's the option that bans vending machines?

But what would be the hilarious consequence of banning vending machines? It's not a very big deal, is it? It's not like banning cars, airplanes, or religion.

------------------------------

Any comments on option 3?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:54 am

Personally I preferred the devaluing @@CURRENCY@@ version of option 3. Could make it is the "click here to destroy you economy" option by having the speaker talking up the boost it would give to the manufacturing sector and the nation's exports? That is just me however.

As far as banning vending machines, it could have some humar if the speaker is longing for human interaction, and the effect line goes something like "streets become crowded as vendors set up shop on every corner" or something like that? Or maybe "thirsy protesters object to the banning of vending machines"?

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:16 am

Leutria wrote:Personally I preferred the devaluing @@CURRENCY@@ version of option 3. Could make it is the "click here to destroy you economy" option by having the speaker talking up the boost it would give to the manufacturing sector and the nation's exports? That is just me however.

Thanks :) But after my latest change, this option became option 4. So I am actually asking about your opinion on the option where a tourist says that @@NAME@@ should stop imposing duty on goods bought from East Lebatuck, so @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ tourists are encouraged to shop there even more.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 am

Bump --- I am planning to submit it if there are no further comments, especially on option 3...

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:41 am

--EDITED-OUT--
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:44 am

RE: Option 3, the wording is slightly confusing, though, what do you plan to do with tourism?Promote East Lebetuck as a destination?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:53 am

Australian Republic wrote:RE: Option 3, the wording is slightly confusing, though, what do you plan to do with tourism?Promote East Lebetuck as a destination?

That's pretty much the effect I want to achieve, yes. I thought one concrete way of promoting East Lebatuck as a tourism destination would be to abolish duties on goods that @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ tourists bring from there. It might not be the most direct way, but considering that I pointed out in the description that East Lebatuck's rise as a holiday resort is related to the decreasing value of its currency, it makes sense if one of the goals of tourists in going there is also buying stuff for low prices. (e.g. some things that many Turks would consider expensive may actually feel super-cheap to Europeans, both because of the difference in the currency rate and in the GDP per capita).

If @@NAME@@ stops imposing duties on East Lebatuckese goods, it will be good for tourists going on a shopping spree in East Lebatuck.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 am

Alright, I submitted this issue. Thanks to everyone who supported/helped me with their valuable comments :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Good luck!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?