NATION

PASSWORD

[draft] obesity law

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

[draft] obesity law

Postby Zorinthja » Sat May 20, 2017 7:45 am

Desc: in the background there has slowly been two government spendings getting larger and larger; food imports, and obese unemployment, more than due to population growth, this is due to people overeating and becoming obese.

Validity: all

Option 1: "I thought that it was a human right to be able to be in charge of what we put in our mouths! "Says local fatty. "Why not import MORE food, to be able to battle this cost just import the lower quality food, it would help feed the poor, and it would decrease the price of food, it might decrease national health but it would balance itself out with the be fits of less people dying from starvation"
[effect]obesity and bad diet related deaths have spiked

Option 2: "I can have enough food for myself! And you want me to pay taxes so other can OVEReat, well I don't think so." Argues a starving woman. "What we NEED to do is outlaw obesity, and fine them for this as well as sign them up for obesity control classes, it would drastically decrease obesity and the government would earn a bit of coin. How about it?"
[effect]police look at you even if you dare have a bloated belly

Option 3: "We don't need to do any of that." Says your intelligent sister. "Simply, if someone is medically overweight, take their extra food away from them and give it to whoever needs it. It would definitely help obesity, but it is a bit iffy whether or not it would help the poor, it would keep alive sure, but it would give them no motive to contribute to society."
[effect]people are given free food because they voluntarily quit their jobs

Option 4: "Hey, what about what keeps me healthy and at a healthy weight; a planned diet." Explains local vegan. "I'm not saying everyone needs to be vegan, I am purely saying the government should introduce a tax for unhealthy food, which would make it harder to become obese, increase government revenue, but it would make life harder for the poor, but hey, you can't appease everyone!"
[effect]there are now obese vegans, how is that even possible?

Option 5: "We need to take control of all of the variables!" Yells your great grandmother. "We need to act quit before this gets out of hand, this is a national crisis! Kill, deport or sterilise obese member of the community, it may be seen as immoral to people, but it will get rid of people that can't work efficiently, more food for others who need it and almost no chance of anyone suffering obesity."
[effect]people are scared to have love handles and are starving themselves just to be sure
Last edited by Zorinthja on Wed May 24, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat May 20, 2017 8:10 am

The issue is entitled "fat vegans?". Your issue should focus on fat vegans. As of now, the only reference you make to them is an effect line reading "there are now obese vegans, how is that even possible?". This effect line is in response to selecting a choice that concerns a tax on unhealthy food, itself in response to an argument by a normal-weight vegan. I'd recommend that you either find a new issue title, or focus your issue more on fat vegans.

Zorinthja wrote:Desc: in the background there has slowly been a government spending getting larger and larger; food imports, more than due to population growth, this is due to people overeating and becoming obese.

Option 1: "I thought that it was a human right to be able to be in charge of what we put in our mouths! "Says local fatty. "Why not import MORE food, to be able to battle this cost just import the lower quality food, it would help feed the poor, and it would decrease the price of food, it might decrease national health but it would balance itself out with the be fits of less people dying from starvation"

Talking point: obesity and bad diet related deaths have spiked

Option 2: "I can barely eat myself! And you want me to pay taxes so other can OVEReat, well I don't think so." Argues a starving woman. "What we NEED to do is outlaw obesity, and fine them for this as well as sign them up for obesity control classes, it would drastically decrease obesity and the government would earn a bit of coin. How about it?"

Talking point : police look at you even if you dare have a bloated belly

Option 3: "We don't need to do any of that." Says your intelligent sister. "Simply, if someone is medically overweight, take their extra food away from them and give it to whoever needs it. It would definitely help obesity, but it is a bit iffy whether or not it would help the poor, it would keep alive sure, but it would give them no motive to contribute to society."

Talking point: people are given free food because they voluntarily quit their jobs

Option 4: "Hey, what about what keeps me healthy and at a healthy weight; a planned diet." Explains local vegan. "I'm not saying everyone needs to be vegan, I am purely saying the government should introduce a tax for unhealthy food, which would make it harder to become obese, increase government revenue, but it would make life harder for the poor, but hey, you can't appease everyone!"

Talking point: there are now obese vegans, how is that even possible?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Sat May 20, 2017 8:19 am

Tinhampton wrote:The issue is entitled "fat vegans?". Your issue should focus on fat vegans. As of now, the only reference you make to them is an effect line reading "there are now obese vegans, how is that even possible?". This effect line is in response to selecting a choice that concerns a tax on unhealthy food, itself in response to an argument by a normal-weight vegan. I'd recommend that you either find a new issue title, or focus your issue more on fat vegans.

Zorinthja wrote:Desc: in the background there has slowly been a government spending getting larger and larger; food imports, more than due to population growth, this is due to people overeating and becoming obese.

Talking point: obesity and bad diet related deaths have spiked

Option 2: "I can barely eat myself! And you want me to pay taxes so other can OVEReat, well I don't think so." Argues a starving woman. "What we NEED to do is outlaw obesity, and fine them for this as well as sign them up for obesity control classes, it would drastically decrease obesity and the government would earn a bit of coin. How about it?"

Talking point : police look at you even if you dare have a bloated belly

Talking point: people are given free food because they voluntarily quit their jobs

Talking point: there are now obese vegans, how is that even possible?

Yeah, I couldn't think of a good title, if you think of a good one please tell me, but otherwise is this issue good?

Belinos
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Belinos » Sun May 21, 2017 11:05 pm

This seems to be written from assumption that obesity is bad. Which is not considered true in all nations.

Needs an option for the opposite: minimum weight laws. Because being underweight is far more serious health concern than being overweight.
Last edited by Belinos on Sun May 21, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 22, 2017 2:14 am

Interesting premise but:

1. What has importing food have to do with a fat tax?
2. option 2- "I can bearly eat myself" sounds like "Cannibalism, you're doing it wrong"
3.option 3- your effect makes absolutely no sence. I'm sorry, I just don't get it
4. Option 4- Of coarse you can have a fat vegan, chips (both types, i.e. crisps and fries), lollies, bread, overeating vegan stuff, spaggetti, etc. Don't think a vegan lifestyle is as healthy as vegans claim it is
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 am

Belinos wrote:This seems to be written from assumption that obesity is bad. Which is not considered true in all nations.

Needs an option for the opposite: minimum weight laws. Because being underweight is far more serious health concern than being overweight.

I see what you are getting at, but that is like enacting a law against being poor; it doesn't work like that, but I will see what i can do in that sense

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 am

Australian Republic wrote:Interesting premise but:

2. option 2- "I can bearly eat myself" sounds like "Cannibalism, you're doing it wrong"
3.option 3- your effect makes absolutely no sence. I'm sorry, I just don't get it
4. Option 4- Of coarse you can have a fat vegan, chips (both types, i.e. crisps and fries), lollies, bread, overeating vegan stuff, spaggetti, etc. Don't think a vegan lifestyle is as healthy as vegans claim it is

Yeah I know you can have fat vegan's I would know I am one, it is just that it is statistically less likely for a vegan to be obese and it very humorous to see one, because it is joked that vegans only ever eat salads and no one can become obese from eating salads (actually, is it humanly possible to become obese from only ever eating salads?)

Maybe you didn't get it because it means that people are quiting their jobs when they normally wouldn't because they know the government will supply them enough food regardless of having an occupation

Food importation has to do with a fat tax because: higher food imports=cheaper food=people buy more food=obesity rises=combatted with a fine=less food for obese people=less obesity

And thanks for finding that error on cannibalism, that sounds pretty bad, XD

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 24, 2017 8:10 am

Zorinthja wrote:(actually, is it humanly possible to become obese from only ever eating salads?)
I'm pretty sure you can become fat off anything, if you eat enough of it.

There is also a genetic component to obesity, so it doesn't always correlate exactly with what you're eating or how much.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Zorinthja wrote:(actually, is it humanly possible to become obese from only ever eating salads?)
I'm pretty sure you can become fat off anything, if you eat enough of it.

There is also a genetic component to obesity, so it doesn't always correlate exactly with what you're eating or how much.

Becoming fat from eating nothing but salad wouldn't be your first concern. Other health problems like constipation would come before. Also foods that take more energy to digest than provide your body like celery, wouldn't make you fat.
See You Space Cowboy...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Zorinthja wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Interesting premise but:

Yeah I know you can have fat vegan's I would know I am one, it is just that it is statistically less likely for a vegan to be obese and it very humorous to see one, because it is joked that vegans only ever eat salads and no one can become obese from eating salads (actually, is it humanly possible to become obese from only ever eating salads?)

Maybe you didn't get it because it means that people are quiting their jobs when they normally wouldn't because they know the government will supply them enough food regardless of having an occupation

Food importation has to do with a fat tax because: higher food imports=cheaper food=people buy more food=obesity rises=combatted with a fine=less food for obese people=less obesity

Living in Melbourne, you would likely know a few Greeks, so you would know how lent works. I've heard that most Greeks put on weight during lent

And if you're not familiar wit Greekmlent, it's when you can't eat any food that comes from an animal with bloood for days
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Wed May 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Zorinthja wrote:

Living in Melbourne, you would likely know a few Greeks, so you would know how lent works. I've heard that most Greeks put on weight during lent

And if you're not familiar wit Greekmlent, it's when you can't eat any food that comes from an animal with bloood for days

I see your point, and I actually don't know any Greeks, yet still vegans are statistically 13 kilograms lighter than their omnivorous counterparts, and it is still humorous to see one that is obese because veganism is a bit radical and is meant to be healthy

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Zorinthja wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Living in Melbourne, you would likely know a few Greeks, so you would know how lent works. I've heard that most Greeks put on weight during lent

I see your point, and I actually don't know any Greeks, yet still vegans are statistically 13 kilograms lighter than their omnivorous counterparts, and it is still humorous to see one that is obese because veganism is a bit radical and is meant to be healthy

Veganism isn't a sign of health. Veganism is a sign of self-righteousness

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Wed May 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Zorinthja wrote:

Veganism isn't a sign of health. Veganism is a sign of self-righteousness

Depends on why someone went vegan. Maybe they just think animal slaughter is bad so it would be self righteous to be vegan for that person. Maybe they just felt that animal products were unhealthy to a diet, so it would be a health thing for that person. So it really depends
Last edited by Zorinthja on Wed May 24, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Humanist Prognostication
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Prognostication » Wed May 24, 2017 8:37 pm

Isn't this basically just a mashup of already existing issues on taxing soda or subsidizing/importing food? What's new here?

A cup of green dinner salad has around maybe 30 calories. So, assuming a daily 2000 calorie diet (just because, of course) you have to eat 66 cups of salad. And you'll probably still die of fat and (fat soluble) vitamin deficiency anyway.

Which is why a vegan diet must include fat and protein sources as well (including any of a wide assortment of legumes, grains, nuts, and seeds). All of which you can get from plants. Because human physiology spent most of its evolutionary history in the condition where meat was a very hard won luxury.

Anyway...

Australian Republic wrote:Veganism is a sign of self-righteousness

Anonymous people on the internet should not be allowed to use that word.
Last edited by A Humanist Prognostication on Wed May 24, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whole world is just made of people who didn't kill themselves today. That's who's here. It's all of us who went 'ok, fuck it, I'll keep doing it.' -- Louis C.K.

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Wed May 24, 2017 9:27 pm

A Humanist Prognostication wrote:Isn't this basically just a mashup of already existing issues on taxing soda or subsidizing/importing food? What's new here?

I see what you mean, I will try to make it a bit more radical, and add one or two more options

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 am

This issue isn't really in comprehensible English, and it's not a great premise. I can't see us using it with anything short of a complete rewrite into a different issue on a different topic with different options, presentation and story.

I wouldn't suggest proceeding with this draft, and I'd recommend for future drafts seeking collaboration with an existing author with better grasp of the English language.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Fri May 26, 2017 4:58 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:This issue isn't really in comprehensible English, and it's not a great premise. I can't see us using it with anything short of a complete rewrite into a different issue on a different topic with different options, presentation and story.

I wouldn't suggest proceeding with this draft, and I'd recommend for future drafts seeking collaboration with an existing author with better grasp of the English language.

Ok thanks, and do you mean not comprehensible English as in it is hard to read, bad structure, vocabulary, grammar, or all of the above?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 26, 2017 7:38 am

Basically, you're putting out words, but they don't form sentences. Let's take the description, as an example.

in the background there has slowly been two government spendings getting larger and larger; food imports, and obese unemployment, more than due to population growth, this is due to people overeating and becoming obese.

That's not a sentence. It's just a string of phrases randomly connected by commas and semicolons. It's a litany of errors in English usage. It doesn't communicate meaning in any useful way. It's frankly meaningless.

Given that most English-speaking nine-year-olds could form better sentences than that, you're either not an English speaker, or not even trying to be coherent. Either way, you need help if you ever want to have your issues be accepted.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri May 26, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Fri May 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Basically, you're putting out words, but they don't form sentences. Let's take the description, as an example.

in the background there has slowly been two government spendings getting larger and larger; food imports, and obese unemployment, more than due to population growth, this is due to people overeating and becoming obese.

That's not a sentence. It's just a string of phrases randomly connected by commas and semicolons. It's a litany of errors in English usage. It doesn't communicate meaning in any useful way. It's frankly meaningless.

Given that most English-speaking nine-year-olds could form better sentences than that, you're either not an English speaker, or not even trying to be coherent. Either way, you need help if you ever want to have your issues be accepted.

Ok

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?