NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Trouble Brewing

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED] Trouble Brewing

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 am

Submitted 1/6/17

DRAFT 2:
[title]Trouble Brewing

[desc]This morning's strategy meeting was brought to a grinding halt when you and your cabinet were subjected to the worst pot of tea you have ever had the misfortune of suffering. The leaves weren't properly brewed, the milk was skimmed AND powdered, the water was lukewarm, and the sugar bowl was full of salt...

[validity]any

[option]"Oh gosh, Im SO sorry I don't know how to make your boiled leaf drink," spits @@randomfirstname@@, the ever-sarcastic secretary responsible for the offending brew. "I was busy learning trivialities like typing, minute-taking, IT skills and diary-organising. How about you all drink Eckie-cola from now on, instead? In fact, you should get rid of tea from the whole of @@NAME@@: it's a drink for old farts and fuddy-duddies anyway."
[effect]tooth decay is on the rise

[option]"Look, I'm the Secretary of State, the damn Secretary of State, I say, and even I know how to make tea properly," complains your elderly Secretary of State, pointing to the desk nameplate that says Secretary of State. "The problem with young people today is that they don't know how to slow down and take their time. We should make tea-making and kitchen skills a part of the national curriculum, and encourage all those teenagers and twenty-somethings to stop rushing around, and to appreciate a proper tea service."
[effect]the nation grinds to a halt for half an hour at 11'o'clock every morning

[option]"Pfft, slow-mo food and drink is so last century," mocks @@randomname@@, your Chief of Science, digging into @@HIS@@ microwave burrito. "What you need is instant tea, in a can, with some sort of heating widget that triggers with the ring pull, and plenty of preservatives to make it last. Once again, science has the answer! So, shall I assign some government grants for food technology research, or what?"
[effect]machine-peeled candied grapes come in individual packaging for the busy commuter

[option]"Oolongs for better tea?" giggles @@randomname@@, your pun-loving Minister of Agriculture, and your Cabinet brace themselves for on onslaught of tea-related puns. "Can we Matcha solution to the problem? Can we Rize to the occasion? Did you read that report I Sencha? Did I get things down to a tea, my Darjeelings?" In the face of blank faces and silence, @@HE@@ changes tack. "Uh... anyway, coffee. Coffee is easier to make, and nicer. Subsidise coffee growers."
[effect]tea is taken... and poured away

DRAFT 1:
[title]Trouble Brewing

[desc]This morning's strategy meeting was brought to a grinding halt when you and your cabinet were subjected to the worst pot of tea you have ever had the misfortune of suffering. The leaves were underbrewed, the milk was skimmed AND powdered, the water was lukewarm and the sugar bowl was full of salt...

[validity]any

[option]"Oh gosh, Im SO sorry I don't know how to make your boiled leaf drink," spits @@randomfirstname@@, the ever-sarcastic secretary responsible for the offending brew. "I was busy learning trivial old things like typing, minute-taking and diary-organising. How about you all drink Eckie-cola from now on, instead? In fact, you should get rid of tea from the whole of @@NAME@@: it's a drink for old farts and fuddy-duddies anyway."

[option]"Look, I'm the Secretary of State, the damn Secretary of State, I say, and even I know how to make tea properly," complains your elderly Secretary of State, pointing to the desk nameplate that says Secretary of State. "The problem with young people today is that they don't know how to slow down and take their time. We should make tea-making and kitchen skills a part of the national curriculum, and encourage all those teenagers and twenty-somethings to stop rushing around, and to appreciate a proper tea service."
[effect]the nation grinds to a halt for half an hour at 11'o'clock every morning

[option]"Pfft, slow-mo food is so last century," mocks @@randomname@@, your Chief of Science, digging into @@HIS@@ microwave burrito. "What you need is instant tea, in a can, with some sort of heating widget that triggers with the ring pull, and plenty of preservatives to make it last. Once again, science has the answer! So, shall I assign some government subsidies to next century food technology, or what?"
[effect]machine-peeled candied grapes come in individual packaging for the busy commuter
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 am, edited 12 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Wed May 17, 2017 11:00 am

I like it!

Maybe add or revise Option 1 to include coffee, or just put a part banning caffeinated drinks.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Wed May 17, 2017 11:10 am

Finally a draft I can relate to. If I were to edit this I'd rename all the characters after my favorite brands and types of tea, and include more tea related puns. Just saying.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 am

ITT: We learn who is British and who isn't.
See You Space Cowboy...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 17, 2017 11:19 am

Drasnia wrote:ITT: We learn who is British and who isn't.

Ha! Well, I'm British AND Chinese, so I guess I have a double vested interest.

Do you think for the Americans we need some sort of pro-coffee option?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 17, 2017 11:21 am

Gnejs wrote:Finally a draft I can relate to. If I were to edit this I'd rename all the characters after my favorite brands and types of tea, and include more tea related puns. Just saying.

Re: names, option 3 could bear a tea-related name, but option 1 I think works best as just a first name, as it implies a lower position in the political hierarchy, and option 2 the character not being named is part of the joke in deflating the character's "don't you know who I am?" style pomposity.

As to puns, I will definitely think on it... I'm generally more of a situational humour than a pun-humour sort of writer, of course. I may well add in a fourth option (the "I prefer coffee one") and juxtapose that with a dozen tea-puns.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

I don't know; either they want sugar or caffeine. :p

Tbh, I like tea better than coffee, so I can relate to this issue. Maybe add "iced tea" to it.
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 am

Okay, second draft with all the puns crammed into one option added.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm

When I read the title, I thought it was about moonshining and running illegal home breweries. Now, let's take a look:

Option 1's validity makes no sense towards the options

Option 2, "Secretary of state" is such an American expression, I reacon "foreign minister" would be more universal

Option 3, yes, please add iced tea

For your reference, here are some Australian tea companies: Tettlies, Dilma, Twinings, Bushells, T2

The ONLY type of tea that I drink is chamomile, I am a coffee fan
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed May 17, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 am

Finally the issues that matter.

Anyway, loving the draft as I do most of yours.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:[option]"Oolongs for better tea?" giggles @@randomname@@, your pun-loving Minister of Agriculture, and your Cabinet brace themselves for on onslaught of tea-related puns. "Can we Matcha solution to the problem? Can we Rize to the occasion? Did you read that report I Sencha? Did I get things down to a tea, my Darjeelings?" In the face of blank faces and silence, @@HE@@ changes tack. "Uh... anyway, coffee. Coffee is easier to make, and nicer. Subsidise coffee growers."

:rofl:

Candlewhisper Archive wrote: it's a drink for old farts and fuddy-duddies anyway."

A small part of me just died :(
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 18, 2017 1:59 am

Australian Republic wrote:When I read the title, I thought it was about moonshining and running illegal home breweries. Now, let's take a look:

Option 1 doesn't have any validity check.

Option 2, "Secretary of state" is such an American expression, I reacon "foreign minister" would be more universal

We use ministers and secretaries in NS. There are 10 instances of Secretary being used as a political title, and 1 of Secretary of State. There's no right approach universally, but I felt that Secretary of State had the right rhythm and cadence for this option. Try reading it out loud, replacing with Foreign Minister. It just doesn't sound as good.

It doesn't really add to the issue to add a reference to iced tea, I think.

For your reference, here are some Australian tea companies: Tettlies, Dilma, Twinings, Bushells, T2

Tetleys are from Yorkshire, England.
Dilmah were founded in Sri Lanka.
Twinings are from Andover, England.
Bushells... yep, that's Australian.
T2 is a tea retailer rather than manufacturer, but sure, Australian.

None of them especially lend themselves to puns. Also, you'll note the references I have used aren't companies, but rather leaves or blends.

Thanks for the effort anyway.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 18, 2017 2:29 am

Australian Republic wrote:When I read the title, I thought it was about moonshining and running illegal home breweries. Now, let's take a look:

Effect, sorry. Effect. I'll read the rest of your options later
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 18, 2017 2:31 am

We use ministers and secretaries in NS. There are 10 instances of Secretary being used as a political title, and 1 of Secretary of State. There's no right approach universally, but I felt that Secretary of State had the right rhythm and cadence for this option. Try reading it out loud, replacing with Foreign Minister. It just doesn't sound as good.

It doesn't really add to the issue to add a reference to iced tea, I think.

Tetleys are from Yorkshire, England.
Dilmah were founded in Sri Lanka.
Twinings are from Andover, England.
Bushells... yep, that's Australian.
T2 is a tea retailer rather than manufacturer, but sure, Australian.

None of them especially lend themselves to puns. Also, you'll note the references I have used aren't companies, but rather leaves or blends.

Thanks for the effort anyway.

Nope, I'm pretty sure T2 also make tea. It doesn't matter anyway

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 18, 2017 3:08 am

T2 are tea retailers only, they're a Melbourne based tea boutique who were bought out by Unilever, and are now pushing out across US and UK.

As for the effect line, it's from this bit here:

you all drink Eckie-cola from now on, instead

If a nation switches from tea to cola, tooth decay rises.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 18, 2017 3:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:T2 are tea retailers only, they're a Melbourne based tea boutique who were bought out by Unilever, and are now pushing out across US and UK.

As for the effect line, it's from this bit here:

you all drink Eckie-cola from now on, instead

If a nation switches from tea to cola, tooth decay rises.

I see

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu May 18, 2017 6:46 am

I actually thought about this for a while and I don't think it would add much to the narrative probably.
See You Space Cowboy...

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Thu May 18, 2017 10:48 am

[title]Trouble Brewing

[desc]This morning's strategy meeting was brought to a grinding halt when you and your cabinet were subjected to the worst pot of tea you have ever had the misfortune of suffering. The leaves were under brewed, the milk was skimmed AND powdered, the water was lukewarm and the sugar bowl was full of salt...

[validity]any

[option]"Oh gosh, I'm SO sorry I don't know how to make your boiled leaf drink," spits @@randomfirstname@@, the ever-sarcastic secretary responsible for the offending brew. "I was busy learning trivial old things like typing, minute-taking, and diary-organising. How about you all drink Eckie-cola from now on, instead? In fact, you should get rid of tea from the whole of @@NAME@@: it's a drink for old farts and fuddy-duddies anyway."

[option]"Pfft, slow-mo food is so last century," mocks @@randomname@@, your Chief of Science, digging into @@HIS@@ microwave burrito. "What you need is instant tea, in a can, with some sort of heating widget that triggers with the ring pull, and plenty of preservatives to make it last. Once again, science has the answer! So, shall I assign some government subsidies to next century food technology, or what?"

[option]"Oolongs for better tea?" giggles @@randomname@@, your pun-loving Minister of Agriculture, and your Cabinet brace themselves for on onslaught of tea-related puns. "Can we Matcha solution to the problem? Can we Rize to the occasion? Did you read that report I Sencha? Did I get things down to a tea, my Darjeelings?" In the face of blank faces and silence, @@HE@@ changes tack. "Uh... anyway, coffee. Coffee is easier to make and nicer. Subsidize coffee growers."

I'd add Lipton for option 4, but wouldn't know how to add it in.
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 am

Good edits there, implemented.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote: Can we Rize to the occasion?

Just wondering: How famous is Rize tea outside Turkey? I was very surprised to see that in your draft.

As for the issue, it is very nice :)

Do you think it would be possible to add some references to the mad tea party in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? There were exactly four characters sitting at that tea table: Alice, Hatter, March Hare, and Dormouse; and while reading your issue I thought whether these four characters could be matched with the speakers in your 4 options, but it didn't quite work, I guess. Nevertheless I like such literature references, and I wanted to suggest it to you, thinking that maybe you could do something with it lol.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote: Can we Rize to the occasion?

Just wondering: How famous is Rize tea outside Turkey? I was very surprised to see that in your draft.

Do you think it would be possible to add some references to the mad tea party in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? There were exactly four characters sitting at that tea table: Alice, Hatter, March Hare, and Dormouse; and while reading your issue I thought whether these four characters could be matched with the speakers in your 4 options, but it didn't quite work, I guess. Nevertheless I like such literature references, and I wanted to suggest it to you, thinking that maybe you could do something with it lol.

After reading that, I thought:
Option 1-Alice, with a teapot saying "Drink Me"
Option 2-Dormouse yawning
Option 3-March Hare, giggling
Option 4-Mad Hatter, the aide has a hat on
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Thu May 18, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 18, 2017 3:46 pm

You need to make refernce to twice boiled tea

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 18, 2017 3:47 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:

After reading that, I thought:
Option 1-Alice, with a teapot saying "Drink Me"
Option 2-Dormouse yawning
Option 3-March Hare, giggling
Option 4-Mad Hatter, the aide has a hat on

That's a good idea, making refernce to Alice in Wonderland

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri May 19, 2017 12:45 am

Firstly, my deepest sympathies to you CWA. There's nothing worse than a badly-made cup of tea. It's worse than no tea at all because it reminds you of the tea you could be enjoying.

Just a thought, but to provide a narrative running throughout the issue, would it be possible to reference how to make a proper cup of tea in each of the options? I.E the issue could have something like "The tea was steeped for less than a minute", option one could have some reference to "of course it was terrible! They put the milk in first!" and so on and so forth.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 22, 2017 4:32 am

Caracasus wrote:Firstly, my deepest sympathies to you CWA. There's nothing worse than a badly-made cup of tea. It's worse than no tea at all because it reminds you of the tea you could be enjoying.

Just a thought, but to provide a narrative running throughout the issue, would it be possible to reference how to make a proper cup of tea in each of the options? I.E the issue could have something like "The tea was steeped for less than a minute", option one could have some reference to "of course it was terrible! They put the milk in first!" and so on and so forth.

That's really hard to do, as only option 2's speaker (and maybe also the invisible narrator of the issue) knows how to make tea properly. It'd be out of place to have #1, #3 or #4 pointing out the proper way to make tea.

I believe that angle is covered by the [desc] anyway.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon May 22, 2017 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?