NATION

PASSWORD

SUBMITTED (Second AttemptSnow idea what to do

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

SUBMITTED (Second AttemptSnow idea what to do

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 07, 2017 12:49 am

[title] Snow Idea what idea to do

[desc] When a snow storm brought snow to the city of Desert Springs for the first time in 100 years, panicking citizens, emergency service workers and city workers alike have tried to march on the streets, only to slip on the white stuff, and demand action from you

[validity] Moderately good weather

[options]

[option] "You know @@LEADER@@, this would never happen in the mountains" states @@RANDOMNAME@@ a migrant from the mountains, whilst frantically Googling where to buy snow chains "And you know why? Because they know what to do. They have snow plows, they have that salt thing, and they just know what to do when it snows. But if a dust storm were to happen in the mountains, they would be up the creek without a paddle there. You know why? Lack of preparation. I mean, I know it doesn't normally snow in Desert Springs, but it gets cold enough, you never know when it will happen again. Preparation is key!"
[effect] irregardless of climate or location, every new building must be snow, cyclone, bush fire, dust storm and tsunami proof

[option] "Why can't we just mobalise individuals with different experiences?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of Creative Solutions "People from the mountains know what to do in the snow, so when it snows in the desert, we'll just send in mountain and women! I mean the mountains have more snow on a routine basis than what Desert Springs had today, so if we could mobilise them, there would be no problem"
[effect] the government spends millions each summer on a "Snow in the Desert" department

[option] "When I used to me old Anteater, I never had to worry 'bout them anchors" suggests retired truck driver, @@RANDOMNAME@@, "And you know why? Snow plows? With 'em snow plows cleaning the streets, powder was never a problem on the roads. We should put snow plows everywhere in @@NAME@@, and not have to worry 'bout not'in'!"
[effect] snow plow drivers fake illness to avoid one day of work every hundred years

[option] "Please don't take the snow away" pleads six year old, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, whose tears convinced the guards to let her into your office "Snow is fun! Snow is cool! And we didn't have to go to school today! My, little doggy loved the snow too! Isn't that right, Mr. Wiggletail?" she points to her pet dog which she brought with her and the dog hands you a card which reads "Woof woof bark rrrff good @@LEADER@@!"
[effect] 6 year olds make decisions concerning unusual weather phenomena

[desc] When a snow storm brought snow to the city of Desert Springs for the first time in 100 years, panicking citizens, emergency service workers and city workers alike have tried to march on the streets, only to slip on the white stuff, and demand action from you

[options]

[option] "You know @@LEADER@@, this would never happen in the mountains" states @@RANDOMNAME@@ a migrant from the mountains, whilst frantically Googling where to buy snow chains "And you know why? Because they know what to do. They have snow plows, they have that salt thing, and they just know what to do when it snows. But if a dust storm were to happen in the mountains, they would be up the creek without a paddle there. You know why? Lack of preparation. I mean, I know it doesn't normally snow in Desert Springs, but it gets cold enough, you never know when it will happen again. Preparation is key!"
[effect] irregardless of climate or location, every new building must be snow, cyclone, bush fire, dust storm and tsunami proof

[option] "Why can't we just mobalise individuals with different experiences?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of Creative Solutions "People from the mountains know what to do in the snow, so when it snows in the desert, we'll just send in mountain and women! I mean the mountains have more snow on a routine basis than what Desert Springs had today, so if we could mobilise them, there would be no problem"
[effect] the government spends millions each summer on a "Snow in the Desert" department

[option] "When I used to me old Anteater, I never had to worry 'bout them anchors" suggests retired truck driver, @@RANDOMNAME@@, "And you know why? Snow plows? With 'em snow plows cleaning the streets, powder was never a problem on the roads. We should put snow plows everywhere in @@NAME@@, and not have to worry 'bout not'in'!"
[effect] snow plow drivers fake illness to avoid one day of work every hundred years

[desc] The @@ANIMAL@@ Hills, which usually experience three days of snow, yesterday had its largest fall in over 50 years. This caused the local community to shut down, and caused the locals to ask you for dedicated snow plows for their community”

[options]

[option] "@@LEADER@@, this is perfect" begs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a lifetime resident of the @@ANIMAL@@ Hills "I know the streets very good, and I know everything about the @@ANIMAL@@ Hills. I know all the side streets and everything. I can drive the snow plows here, and I know you will be paying all me for work all year when I only do three days of labour, but I won't be giving you a snow job"
[effect] snow plow drivers fake illness to avoid three days of work

[option] "We have hundreds of ski resorts across the nation, @@LEADER@@" states@@RANDONNAME@@, your minister of inventory "I mean there are spare snow plows hanging around the snowier parts of the country which could be sent to the @@ANIMAL@@ Hills when it snows there. I know that these places have more snow than usual when it's snowing in the hills, but we have enough spares!"
[effect] the nation reduces the number of snow plows on the snowiest days

[option] "You're missing the obvious solution" suggests the CEO of Salt-'n'-Co "Gritters! By spraying salt on the roads, you significantly reduce the amount of workers needed to clear snow. That way, all problems are minimised, it’s win-win, plus, our friends at the steel works can fix rust"
[effect] salt destroys roads, plants and cars

[option] "I know what to do" intervenes @@RANDOMNAME@@, your leader of creative solutions "Why don’t we just make everyone in the @@ANIMAL@@ Hills attach a snow plow to the front of their cars. I have snow doubt that it's a good idea!"
[effect] pot holes are created seconds after being mended
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:55 am, edited 7 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 11, 2017 1:50 am

No comments. That good or that bad?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 11, 2017 1:56 am

It's kind of boring, sorry.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 11, 2017 2:23 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's kind of boring, sorry.

The entire concept or just the way it's written?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 11, 2017 2:32 am

The concept.

Lots of snow. That's the whole issue.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 11, 2017 2:32 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The concept.

Lots of snow. That's the whole issue.

I see

Egyptian Pharocracy
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Egyptian Pharocracy » Thu May 11, 2017 2:45 am

Australian Republic wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's kind of boring, sorry.

The entire concept or just the way it's written?

A thought, maybe:

You could read up on for reference the massive (especially for the region) freak blizzard and snowfall that Iraq had in January of this year, and put some imagining into just what kind of freaky and probably hilarious reactions residents of a normally hot and desert country might have to seeing snow for the first time in their generation. "Hey! What's all this bizarre white stuff and where'd it come from?"

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/variety ... Erbil.html

https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Snow_falls ... _100_years

First snow in 37 years, according to the one article. That's longer than a typical generation - might be the first snow they've ever seen, much less that much of the stuff.

2008 on the other one: first snow in 100 years, first snow in living memory for a lot of people.

Coming from a place with, ah... limited snowfall :) I can attest that even the periodic "every five years whether we want one or not" heavy snowfall can have both disastrous and sometimes hilarious results and reactions.

DFW can shut down for all intents and purposes over an inch of snow. Schools close, businesses shut down, planes are grounded, multiple car pileups because people don't know how to drive on the stuff - they never learned - semi-trucks fall off of overpasses (I am not making this up). Super Bowls nearly get cancelled over 5 1/2 inches. Dogs and cats living together, panic in the streets, a disaster of Biblical proportions! ;)

I can only imagine how Baghdad reacted. Probably about the way that Phoenix Arizona did a few years back when they unexpectedly got multiple inches one winter.

Possibly build the issue around that, and all of the bizarre situations that might arise and the truly absurd reactions and proposals that people might come to @@LEADER@@ with?

It would be possible to build a simultaneously amusing and horrifying issue around that with a bit of imagination. Which, as Candlewhisper has pointed out on occasion, is something that you have in spades, Aussie.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 11, 2017 4:00 am

Egyptian Pharocracy wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:The entire concept or just the way it's written?

A thought, maybe:

You could read up on for reference the massive (especially for the region) freak blizzard and snowfall that Iraq had in January of this year, and put some imagining into just what kind of freaky and probably hilarious reactions residents of a normally hot and desert country might have to seeing snow for the first time in their generation. "Hey! What's all this bizarre white stuff and where'd it come from?"

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/variety ... Erbil.html

https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Snow_falls ... _100_years

First snow in 37 years, according to the one article. That's longer than a typical generation - might be the first snow they've ever seen, much less that much of the stuff.

2008 on the other one: first snow in 100 years, first snow in living memory for a lot of people.

Coming from a place with, ah... limited snowfall :) I can attest that even the periodic "every five years whether we want one or not" heavy snowfall can have both disastrous and sometimes hilarious results and reactions.

DFW can shut down for all intents and purposes over an inch of snow. Schools close, businesses shut down, planes are grounded, multiple car pileups because people don't know how to drive on the stuff - they never learned - semi-trucks fall off of overpasses (I am not making this up). Super Bowls nearly get cancelled over 5 1/2 inches. Dogs and cats living together, panic in the streets, a disaster of Biblical proportions! ;)

I can only imagine how Baghdad reacted. Probably about the way that Phoenix Arizona did a few years back when they unexpectedly got multiple inches one winter.

Possibly build the issue around that, and all of the bizarre situations that might arise and the truly absurd reactions and proposals that people might come to @@LEADER@@ with?

It would be possible to build a simultaneously amusing and horrifying issue around that with a bit of imagination. Which, as Candlewhisper has pointed out on occasion, is something that you have in spades, Aussie.

Oh, thanks! But really, semi-trailers? I would have thought they would know how to drive in snow for sure! I mean, it snows a lot in the USA, and that part Texas isn't that far from the snow belt that a truckie wouldn't be called for that route, is it? Also, I can't imagine that people don't know what snow is, maybe in they don't in Iraq, but don't people in Arizona have TVs? Half the American shows have snow in them, just because you have never experienced it, doesn't mean you don't know what it is. I knew what snow was since I was a baby and fell in love it with, but never experienced it till I was 17 y/o. I gotta find a way to blow a snowstorm out of proportion...
(You think that DFW has problems, it hasn't snowed in Sydney since the 1800s. Though, it does snow in the Blue Mountains, but something like three times a year :( ) this issue was refering to places like Katoomba, where it will snow three times a year, so it doesn't snow much, but you guaranteed to see a fall atleast once a year (not a guarantine). I suppose I could ditch that and make it about a place where snow is rare
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu May 11, 2017 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Egyptian Pharocracy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Egyptian Pharocracy » Fri May 12, 2017 3:25 am

Australian Republic wrote:Oh, thanks! But really, semi-trailers? I would have thought they would know how to drive in snow for sure! I mean, it snows a lot in the USA, and that part Texas isn't that far from the snow belt that a truckie wouldn't be called for that route, is it?

Since it happened on an overpass on 635, IIRC, I'm thinking black ice on the bridge: y'know, where it melts partially and refreezes, and then is nearly invisible until you hit it and things go haywire. And once a semi starts to jackknife with no traction... it's all over if there's no room to recover.

But yeah, still, it made for a sad and ludicrous situation.

Australian Republic wrote:Also, I can't imagine that people don't know what snow is, maybe in they don't in Iraq, but don't people in Arizona have TVs? Half the American shows have snow in them, just because you have never experienced it, doesn't mean you don't know what it is. I knew what snow was since I was a baby and fell in love it with, but never experienced it till I was 17 y/o. I gotta find a way to blow a snowstorm out of proportion...

They might know what it is... but seeing it in a movie or on TV is different from suddenly having multiple inches coming down and not knowing how to deal with it. :) And movies don't prepare you for just how cold and wet the stuff is.

Australian Republic wrote: this issue was refering to places like Katoomba, where it will snow three times a year, so it doesn't snow much, but you guaranteed to see a fall atleast once a year (not a guarantine). I suppose I could ditch that and make it about a place where snow is rare

I think that might be a good idea. It takes it from "ho hum, a weather extreme" to suddenly being something that's really NationStates over the top and funny, especially if you work in all of the bizarre stuff that could happen or people's weird reactions to suddenly seeing their first snowfall in a hundred years. And the only people who even remember what it's like or what to do about it are the couple or three of hundred and six year olds in old folks homes... :lol:

NO snowplows, because they've never needed them.
    No idea of how to drive on the stuff.
    No idea about salting or sanding the roads - they've never needed to, and there's no reason for there to be anything in their emergency planning manuals for this.
    No one has stored food - they've never had to plan for being snowed in for days.
    Powerlines aren't designed to handle the load of frozen icicles, or frozen tree branches falling on them - blackouts everywhere, and repair crews can't get out to them.
    Snow chains? Uh... what's a "snow chain"?
    Holy crap! You mean you can actually catch hypothermia from this? What's hypothermia, anyway?
    Hospitals are deluged with cold related injuries and ailments they've never had to deal with before.
    Government offices are being deluged with calls from panicked residents wanting advice - and they're badly understaffed because the gov't officials can't drive to work. :)
    Emergency crews can't get places because of all of the wrecks.
    Planes can't land/take-off, and have to be diverted everywhere else - air traffic controllers are overworked and panicking.

And that's just a brief list off the top of my head.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 12, 2017 3:52 am

Or a crazy combo of these!

Egyptian Pharocracy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Egyptian Pharocracy » Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Or a crazy combo of these!

There ya go! Now yer cooking! :)

*sniffle* The student has become the Master. I am so very proud that my heart bursts.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 19, 2017 4:31 am

Bump for second attempt

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Sat May 20, 2017 2:22 am

Maybe a fourth option for a scientific option that would research a chemical that could be put in the air or water and stop snow from forming and would cost a lot and be bad for the environment?

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat May 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Australian Republic wrote:[title] Snow Idea what idea to do

[options]

[option] "You know @@LEADER@@, this would never happen in the mountains" states @@RANDOMNAME@@ a Desert Springs resident, whilst frantically Googling what snow chains are "And you know why? Because they know what to do. They have snow plows, they have that salt thing, and they just know what to do when it snows. But if a dust storm were to happen in the mountains, they would be up the creek without a paddle there. You know why? Lack of preparation. I mean, I know it doesn't normally snow in Desert Springs, but it gets cold enough, you never know when it will happen again. Preparation is key!"

Nice issue :clap:

I agree with CWA's first comment that it's a little boring, though. It feels like a usual disaster-relief issue to me - I believe there was one about a flood, and it's not too different wrt to the basic theme.

Would it be possible to write an issue centred around not these problems, snow plows, etc. but maybe around the weird reactions of people who have not seen snow for 100 years? If the nation that gets this issue happens to be primitive (this can be added in the validity section), most people in this country who are currently alive would be seeing snow for the first time in their lives (and I assume that they would not have seen it on TV either, as they are in a primitive nation). And this first encounter with the snow could give rise to some very funny situations. People could come to the leader to bother him/her about their conspiracy theories as to what this white stuff falling from the sky could be, etc. You are very creative, I'm sure you could compose lots of funny options with this premise.

Australian Republic wrote:[effect] irregardless of climate or location, every new building must be snow, cyclone, bush fire, dust storm and tsunami proof

Hey, I am pretty sure that this should be either regardless or irrespective, but not their crossbred offspring irregardless. 8)
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Ah crap! I forgot to add the option of a happy six yearold

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:[title] Snow Idea what idea to do

[options]

[option] "You know @@LEADER@@, this would never happen in the mountains" states @@RANDOMNAME@@ a Desert Springs resident, whilst frantically Googling what snow chains are "And you know why? Because they know what to do. They have snow plows, they have that salt thing, and they just know what to do when it snows. But if a dust storm were to happen in the mountains, they would be up the creek without a paddle there. You know why? Lack of preparation. I mean, I know it doesn't normally snow in Desert Springs, but it gets cold enough, you never know when it will happen again. Preparation is key!"

Nice issue :clap:

I agree with CWA's first comment that it's a little boring, though. It feels like a usual disaster-relief issue to me - I believe there was one about a flood, and it's not too different wrt to the basic theme.

Would it be possible to write an issue centred around not these problems, snow plows, etc. but maybe around the weird reactions of people who have not seen snow for 100 years? If the nation that gets this issue happens to be primitive (this can be added in the validity section), most people in this country who are currently alive would be seeing snow for the first time in their lives (and I assume that they would not have seen it on TV either, as they are in a primitive nation). And this first encounter with the snow could give rise to some very funny situations. People could come to the leader to bother him/her about their conspiracy theories as to what this white stuff falling from the sky could be, etc. You are very creative, I'm sure you could compose lots of funny options with this premise.

Australian Republic wrote:[effect] irregardless of climate or location, every new building must be snow, cyclone, bush fire, dust storm and tsunami proof

Hey, I am pretty sure that this should be either regardless or irrespective, but not their crossbred offspring irregardless. 8)

Thanks so much for the inspiration

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat May 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Australian Republic wrote:[option] "You know @@LEADER@@, this would never happen in the mountains" states @@RANDOMNAME@@ a Desert Springs resident, whilst frantically Googling what snow chains are "And you know why? Because they know what to do. They have snow plows, they have that salt thing, and they just know what to do when it snows. But if a dust storm were to happen in the mountains, they would be up the creek without a paddle there. You know why? Lack of preparation. I mean, I know it doesn't normally snow in Desert Springs, but it gets cold enough, you never know when it will happen again. Preparation is key!"
For someone who claims not to know what to do, he seems rather sure about himself.

I would either include more humorous allusions that he doesn't really understand what he's talking about, or justify that he does by characterizing him as an immigrant from a mountainous region or something.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:[option] "You know @@LEADER@@, this would never happen in the mountains" states @@RANDOMNAME@@ a Desert Springs resident, whilst frantically Googling what snow chains are "And you know why? Because they know what to do. They have snow plows, they have that salt thing, and they just know what to do when it snows. But if a dust storm were to happen in the mountains, they would be up the creek without a paddle there. You know why? Lack of preparation. I mean, I know it doesn't normally snow in Desert Springs, but it gets cold enough, you never know when it will happen again. Preparation is key!"
For someone who claims not to know what to do, he seems rather sure about himself.

I would either include more humorous allusions that he doesn't really understand what he's talking about, or justify that he does by characterizing him as an immigrant from a mountainous region or something.

I'll fix that, thanks

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 am

Trotterdam wrote:

Fixed

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 28, 2017 3:48 pm

I've added a fourth option. What do y'all think?

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Sun May 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Australian Republic wrote:I've added a fourth option. What do y'all think?

I like it, it gives an emotional option to pick. I could only find two things to pick on: you forgot the effect line, and it hasn't stated the negative point of choosing option 4

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Zorinthja wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:I've added a fourth option. What do y'all think?

I like it, it gives an emotional option to pick. I could only find two things to pick on: you forgot the effect line, and it hasn't stated the negative point of choosing option 4

The effect line is "6 year olds often make decisions on unusual weather phenomena"

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 pm

Australian Republic wrote:"My, little doggy loved the snow too! Isn't that right, Mr. Wiggletail?" she points to her pet dog which she brought with her and hands you a card that reads "I love snow, and I love you, @@LEADER@@"
Okay, with a setup like this, it should really be the dog that gives you the card. Hey, if you can teach them to fetch newspapers...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:"My, little doggy loved the snow too! Isn't that right, Mr. Wiggletail?" she points to her pet dog which she brought with her and hands you a card that reads "I love snow, and I love you, @@LEADER@@"
Okay, with a setup like this, it should really be the dog that gives you the card. Hey, if you can teach them to fetch newspapers...

:rofl: :lol2: Excellent!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Trotterdam wrote:

That is gold, man, that is gold. Implimented

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:34 am

Last call befoore submission

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?