NATION

PASSWORD

QUESTION: Trout Fishing Industry

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

QUESTION: Trout Fishing Industry

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:20 am

Does that include only professional fishing, or recreational fishing too. I want to know this if I write an issue about the topic
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Orgrua
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Orgrua » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:41 am

Australian Republic wrote:Does that include only professional fishing, or recreational fishing too. I want to know this if I write an issue about the topic

I would think it's more geared to professional, since the industry would be much smaller if it only focused on the local farmers markets. I do think they both play a role, but I think professionally would dominate the industry.
Established: January 31, 2017
National Animal: Elephant
Best Industry: Tourism
Type: Federation
705: The Germ of an Idea
(1.25, -.56)

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:45 am

It includes whatever it should reasonably include. As long as there's industry involved.

We've got a limited scope of industries, so the definitions get stretched and skewed to accommodate. Whaling falls under trout fishing for example.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:06 pm

The stat was originally called Trout Farming. (Still is, in the right places.)

It pretty much covers any animal products that come from salt or fresh water.

EDIT: However, it probably does include only commercial fishing, so recreational fishing wouldn't count unless you're paying for the priviledge. Simply sitting at some spot and casting out a fishing line doesn't make anyone any money, so why would it be an industry?
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Trotterdam wrote:EDIT: However, it probably does include only commercial fishing, so recreational fishing wouldn't count unless you're paying for the priviledge. Simply sitting at some spot and casting out a fishing line doesn't make anyone any money, so why would it be an industry?

It is an industry for the firms that manufacture and sell fishing etc equipment. :)

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Drachmaland wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:EDIT: However, it probably does include only commercial fishing, so recreational fishing wouldn't count unless you're paying for the priviledge. Simply sitting at some spot and casting out a fishing line doesn't make anyone any money, so why would it be an industry?

It is an industry for the firms that manufacture and sell fishing etc equipment. :)

But wouldn't those go under manufacturing and retail respectively?

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:40 am

Lord Dominator wrote:
Drachmaland wrote:It is an industry for the firms that manufacture and sell fishing etc equipment. :)

But wouldn't those go under manufacturing and retail respectively?

But yes, of course. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:16 am

A better approach is not to write around the stats, but around the story, and let editors worry about these things.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:19 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A better approach is not to write around the stats, but around the story, and let editors worry about these things.

Yea I know. In fact, I don't think I've had a published issue until I stopped including stats all together
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:35 am

That's a correlation without causation, Aussie.

Honestly, the reason you started getting published more was a shift in culture in the team towards being more willing to make heavy edits of authors work. Your submissions often have great ideas, but aren't quite in a place where they can be published. A heavier editing process lets us take issues that fall into that category and get them in game.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:00 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That's a correlation without causation, Aussie.

Honestly, the reason you started getting published more was a shift in culture in the team towards being more willing to make heavy edits of authors work. Your submissions often have great ideas, but aren't quite in a place where they can be published. A heavier editing process lets us take issues that fall into that category and get them in game.

Yes, I am aware of that too :) I stated that to make my point that I am aware of the lack of neccassity of stats. Anyway, the reason that I ask is because I want to know if I write an issue about recreational fishing, I need to know whether or not it will have any impact on the industry, so that I can taylor it either way

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 am

Right, but it shouldn't matter from a narrative point of view.

There's a whole bunch of things that the simulation can and can't do, but we never let that get in the way of following a certain story in an issue.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:10 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Right, but it shouldn't matter from a narrative point of view.

There's a whole bunch of things that the simulation can and can't do, but we never let that get in the way of following a certain story in an issue.

Even if it means that recreational fishing is interfeering with professional fishing? Fair enough

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?