NATION

PASSWORD

[ISSUE 787] Come Fly With Me?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

[ISSUE 787] Come Fly With Me?

Postby Thyerata » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm

[desc] After a recent flight between @@CAPITAL@@ and Maxtopia's capital city Violetville was overbooked, resulting in the violent removal of a first class passenger, a debate has started about @@NATION@@'s approach, if any, to overbooking flights. You have been dragged in to make a decision

[opt] "Now look here says @@RANDOMNAME@@, I paid top @@CURRENCY@@ for that seat, and yet those horrible police officers thought I should be dragged off the plane just because the airline hadn't properly planned for the amount of people who would want to fly that day. It's unfair. I say that if we pay for our seats, we should be allowed to fly in that seat. It's that simple"
[effect] Planes are full of passengers sitting on each others' knees, or in the toilets.
Tourism drops

[opt] "But we do plan!" sputters @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chief Operations Officer of the involved airline, who strides into your office, completely disregarding the fact that you can only be seen by appointment, and there were no appointments today . "It's just that this time, we suddenly had an influx of passengers, which isn't normal, because studies show that some people will book a flight, but won't turn up. I say that we should be allowed to throw passengers off the plane if we have to. Oh, and it's their fault for trying to get on a full plane, so they should have to live with it. Security seem to agree with him, as they literally throw him into the street
[Effect] Passengers are likely to be arbitrarily thrown off airplanes.
Civil rights drop

[opt] "How about this", says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Compromises and Other Weird Solutions, running to ensure he gets into the office before anyone else. "We should impose a rule that airlines across the Nation can't take more than a certain number of people per flight, and If it turns out the flight is overbooked, we should require the airline to issue mandatory refunds to the surplus passengers. Of course, it would mean that the surplus wouldn't have any choice in the matter, and the airline might make a bit of a loss, but that's what happens when you compromise"
[Effect] There is now a permanent race to get to the airport to be on the plane in time, and airlines are known for paying hefty refunds to passengers who are over the limit.
Economic freedom drops.
Civil rights drop

[opt] "Why do we even have airplanes in the first place?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving a "Plane Stupid" banner. "Airplanes are noisy, and sometimes they break down or the flights are cancelled for any old reason. I say we should get rid of airplanes and invest in public transport...or domestic @@ANIMAL@@s and teach people to ride them
[effect] People can be seen riding around on @@ANIMAL@@s
Aviation industry is abolished
Please don't bite. It's a first draft, and I've never written an Issue before
Last edited by Thyerata on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 am, edited 9 times in total.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

New Axiom
Minister

Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Axiom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Sounds neat, but you still need to put in the effect it will have on your nation, for example, option 1:

Airliners in @@NATION@@ are constantly over the weight limit.

Effect:
Tourism drops

Or something like that.
Everyone has a plan until the New Axiom Imperial Army comes. Then everyone is just like, omigawd. Run.

My favorite user quotes:
Zakuvia wrote:If you aren't imagining a chain gang of adorable old retirees building a wall with Fixodent and using their Hoverounds as tow trucks then you're not the NS I remember.

Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:
You mean Black Friday as in the Apex Preadator of Capatalism?

Victory is measured in gi Joe dolls and easy bake ovens. It was not old age that killed castro, it was nintendo.

Pringles or Lays Stax? I prefer the Lays.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm

New Axiom wrote:Sounds neat, but you still need to put in the effect it will have on your nation, for example, option 1:

Airliners in @@NATION@@ are constantly over the weight limit.

Effect:
Tourism drops

Or something like that.

Edited
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:36 pm

The text of the effect line (e.g. "Planes are full of passengers sitting on each others' knees, or in the toilets.") should be a separate line from the stat effects (e.g. tourism drops).

You're not the only person to try writing an issue based on that United Airlines incident, but I don't think we've published one yet, and your writing is OK, so go ahead with this anyway.

Option 2 should be more specific about what happens when people are kicked off. Are you saying they can be kicked off without compensation? You should clarify so it's more obvious how this option differs from option 3.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:00 pm

USS Monitor wrote:The text of the effect line (e.g. "Planes are full of passengers sitting on each others' knees, or in the toilets.") should be a separate line from the stat effects (e.g. tourism drops).

You're not the only person to try writing an issue based on that United Airlines incident, but I don't think we've published one yet, and your writing is OK, so go ahead with this anyway.

Option 2 should be more specific about what happens when people are kicked off. Are you saying they can be kicked off without compensation? You should clarify so it's more obvious how this option differs from option 3.

I wondered how long it would take someone to notice where my inspiration came from. I've tried to edit it to reflect the advice above - though if it's not done properly I'll gladly accept a Modly edit to correct it

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Hello and welcome to Got Issues! It's always nice to see a new writter! If this is the quality of your first ever issue, then you're going to become an excellent writter! Fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap: man! I wish that my first issue was a quarter as good as yours

Now let's take a look. Firstly, someone has already written a draft regarding the exact same topic but it's not my possition to judge which, if any, will make it to the game.

A little bit of research here would havee gone a long way. As someboyd who is heavily involved in the tourism industry, I can confirm that overbooking is STANDARD PROSEDURE on most, if not, all, airlines in most, if not, all countries around the world. Airlines will INTENTIONALLY overbook whreever possible. Hotels do that too. I would suggest either fixing that in the first option, or, making the first speaker's ignorance to the matter more obvious.
Also, with the third issue, airlines would be laughing if they could get away with as little as a refund. Airlines would be in great joy if all they had to pay was a refund. I was going to fly from Toronto, Canada, to Los Angeles, USA once, and my flight was overbooked. We were offered $800 travel vouchers if were WILLING to be bumped (i.e. thrown off the plane). Since people had volunteered not to board, I didn't get to see what the reward would have been if Air Canada had to start involuntery bumping.
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 am

Don't know what it is about this topic, but the last few weeks have seen no less than five separate drafts based on the same news story, each clearly with no plagiarism from the others, and massively varying in quality.

I've deleted four of them and kept the best one in the Pool.

Nothing to stop you submitting another issue on this topic, and it could displace the existing one, but just to let you know that you'd be in direct competition with it.

On the upside, I think you're the only one to have used Got Issues for drafting, which will definitely help you gain the edge. Also, your draft is already as good as the one in the pool. Make it slightly funnier and sharper, and it'll definitely be the one we choose.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Don't know what it is about this topic, but the last few weeks have seen no less than five separate drafts based on the same news story, each clearly with no plagiarism from the others, and massively varying in quality.

I've deleted four of them and kept the best one in the Pool.

Nothing to stop you submitting another issue on this topic, and it could displace the existing one, but just to let you know that you'd be in direct competition with it.

On the upside, I think you're the only one to have used Got Issues for drafting, which will definitely help you gain the edge. Also, your draft is already as good as the one in the pool. Make it slightly funnier and sharper, and it'll definitely be the one we choose.

I've added in this fourth option. Hopefully it adds to the humour a bit, and I also hope I haven't mangled the macros by doing this...

[opt] "Why do we even have airplanes in the first place?" asks @@NAME@@, waving a "Plane Stupid" banner. "Airplanes are noisy, and sometimes they break down or the flights are cancelled for any old reason. I say we should get rid of airplanes and invest in public transport...or domestic @@ANIMAL@@s and teach people to ride them
[effect] People can be seen riding around on @@ANIMAL@@s
Aviation industry is abolished

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:21 am

About macros: @@NAME@@ means the name of the country. @@RANDOMNAME@@ is a random name for a person.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:22 am

Wrong approach, I think. It's fine (but not required) to have an airplane banning options, but what I meant was taking your existing three options (which are solid, well written and informationally complete) and making them funnier.

Your first effect line is a good example of this, as you've conjured an amusing mental image of passengers on each other's laps. The other effect lines should be as good as that one.

Maybe in the options themselves, you could try to make the speakers more characterful, having them act or appear in an apposite or ironic way, or making their speech more over the top and individualised. Or, just go for more funny mental images.

For example in one, you could have the speaker demanding to see you even though he was told you didn't have an appointment slot free. In option 2, the chief operations officer could be doing something suitably greedy, like helping himself to a complementary coffee AND a complementary tea, just in case.

Doesn't have to be those exact things, just add some more whimsy here and there.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:34 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Wrong approach, I think. It's fine (but not required) to have an airplane banning options, but what I meant was taking your existing three options (which are solid, well written and informationally complete) and making them funnier.

Your first effect line is a good example of this, as you've conjured an amusing mental image of passengers on each other's laps. The other effect lines should be as good as that one.

Maybe in the options themselves, you could try to make the speakers more characterful, having them act or appear in an apposite or ironic way, or making their speech more over the top and individualised. Or, just go for more funny mental images.

For example in one, you could have the speaker demanding to see you even though he was told you didn't have an appointment slot free. In option 2, the chief operations officer could be doing something suitably greedy, like helping himself to a complementary coffee AND a complementary tea, just in case.

Doesn't have to be those exact things, just add some more whimsy here and there.

Tweaked. My airline CEO is is now barging into a very full office, and my Minister of Compromises and Other Weird Solutions, by contrast, is running to get there before everyone else - I'm dropping a few hints as to what the effects are.

Also, I'm leaving the fourth option - adds a bit of quirkiness to the national census :)

About macros: @@NAME@@ means the name of the country. @@RANDOMNAME@@ is a random name for a person

Fixed
Last edited by Thyerata on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 am

You're not to know this, but people barging into @@LEADER@@'s office is such a done thing that the editing team consider it a #1 awful cliche, up there with slamming fists on desks and saying to think of the children. Is there another approach you can use?

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:22 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You're not to know this, but people barging into @@LEADER@@'s office is such a done thing that the editing team consider it a #1 awful cliche, up there with slamming fists on desks and saying to think of the children. Is there another approach you can use?

Edited. My additions are in red

[opt] "But we do plan!" sputters @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chief Operations Officer of the involved airline, who strides into your office, completely disregarding the fact that you can only be seen by appointment, and there were no appointments today . "It's just that this time, we suddenly had an influx of passengers, which isn't normal, because studies show that some people will book a flight, but won't turn up. I say that we should be allowed to throw passengers off the plane if we have to. Oh, and it's their fault for trying to get on a full plane, so they should have to live with it. Security seem to agree with him, as they literally throw him into the street
Last edited by Thyerata on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:46 am

Looks good.

Another issue on the same topic was submitted today, and there's another one in the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=409038

Collaborate, compete, do as you will.

Obviously, at the end of the day, we're only to keep one draft on this topic.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:49 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You're not to know this, but people barging into @@LEADER@@'s office is such a done thing that the editing team consider it a #1 awful cliche, up there with slamming fists on desks and saying to think of the children. Is there another approach you can use?

Slamming fists on desks?> Really? That's a new one

Anyway back to the issue. The title made me think this was about cross dressing. I like how it through off my expectations. Brilliant!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:07 am

Australian Republic wrote:Anyway back to the issue. The title made me think this was about cross dressing. I like how it through off my expectations. Brilliant!

Not just me then!

I saw the title and thought "uh-oh, here's another author with no clue about trans issues", and the sheer shock of finding a competently written and entirely different issue was very pleasing.

That said, I do think a better title is needed.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Sorry if this has been a bit quiet - I hope I haven't lost the possibility for thsi to become a Game Issue

As for the title, would "Come Fly With Me?" be better?

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:15 am

After a couple of months, this has been accepted! It's currently undergoing some editing, but should go live soon :)

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:31 am

Thyerata wrote:After a couple of months, this has been accepted! It's currently undergoing some editing, but should go live soon :)

Congratulations!
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:17 am

Rejoice! Congratulations, Thyerata. :D
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:59 am

Thyerata wrote:After a couple of months, this has been accepted! It's currently undergoing some editing, but should go live soon :)

Just to warn you, this should never be taken for granted. For various reasons edits have been abandoned at any and all stage of development, and it's not done till it's done. (And even then... most issues change again after publication).

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Um, option 3 is already how it works. Airlines have some of the most complicated computers in the world, and every single individual flight has different characteristics. For example. Flight NS 234 from Sydney to Athens via Dubai departing 6 pm today would be completely different to flight NS 234 flying from Sydney to Athens via Dubai departing 6 pm tomorrow. There are many differences in these two flights, varing from average seat price to... well everything. I can't tell you for sure, but I would assume that the number of overbooked passengers would be one of the criteria taken into consideration. Airlines hate it when all of the overbooked passengers show up MORE than what the passengers who are kicked off do. The best case scenario for an airline is that the plane is exactly full, and not a single other person with a ticket shows up. If a single person has to be kicked off the plane because it's overbooked, it's an airline's nightmare. But, considering how many flights there are in the world, this is a routine problem, no matter how statically rare it is

Option 4, what makes you think it's just airlines who are responsible for this? Hotels definitely intentionally overbook, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some rail and/or bus companies did too (though, I'm not sure on that one)

READS earlier post: Oh, uh, I might contact CWA about this...
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 am

I think this issue is in the game for real now. I've already seen two effect lines, although they're different from the ones in the draft.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:05 am

Trotterdam wrote:I think this issue is in the game for real now. I've already seen two effect lines, although they're different from the ones in the draft.

It's now live as issue no. 787. I think Pogaria got rid of draft option 3 and changed the effect of option 1 to have passengers sitting in the lavatories. Draft option 4 has now become option 3 in the final version. The aviation industry isn't abolished, but the nation's roads are littered with animal droppings. Final option 2 has the effect that When you fly on the national airline, you win or you die
Last edited by Thyerata on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 am

FYI, Pogaria was the editor not CWA. Not every issue is edited by CWA (just most of them :p)

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?