NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Flying Off The Handle

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Machnod
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Flying Off The Handle

Postby Machnod » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Title: Flying Off The Handle

Description: In recent news, there was an event that consisted of an overbooked flight, declined incentives, and police beating and dragging %RANDOMNAME% off of the plane. The public has come to you for help.

Validity: Only nations with airplanes can receive this issue.

Option 1: "You can't let this go on! The police nearly killed %HIM%! Just because he had to go to work," says %RANDOMNAME%, an advocate for social justice. "Someone who needed to be on a flight, or even if they just felt like flying, should not be beaten and forced off of the flight! Place the police under stricter legislation and stop the violence!"

Variables: Raises civil rights, political freedom. Lowers law enforcement.

Option 2: "Surely you aren't listening to %HIM%, are you? The police have to be able to stop crazy people from being disrespectful," exclaims Officer %RANDOMNAME%. "Law enforcement actually needs more funding, so we can stop more people like this!"

Variables: Raises law enforcement, weaponization, authoritarianism. Lowers economic output, civil rights.

Option 3: The CEO of the flight company steps up. "Listen, I know. We made a mistake. Let's move on and maybe even increase funding for the flight industry." An assistant steps up to chime in, "it would be great for the economy, %LEADER%!"

Variables: Raises economic freedom, tourism. Lowers civil rights.

Option 4: "The economy? You know, that's actually the issue here. These airlines aren't being regulated enough," claims %RANDOMNAME%, who appears to be wearing a hammer and sickle t-shirt underneath %HIS% suit. "The government needs to be controlling the industry, and overbooking flights needs to be banned!"

Variables: Raises authoritarianism, income equality, public transport. Lowers economic freedom.

A Humanist Prognostication
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Prognostication » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Description:

A viral video has taken flight on WhoTube, showing an @@ANIMAL@@ Airlines passenger being dragged from a aircraft after refusing deplane due to an overbooking of seats. Your secretary has cleared various interests for approach to your desk.

[Rather than just completely rewrite the issue, I'll make some suggestions about what the options are missing. Look for bold red comments like this one.]

[Option] "You can't let this go on! The police nearly killed %HIM%! Just because he had to go to work," says %RANDOMNAME%, an advocate for social justice. "Someone who needed to be on a flight, or even if they just felt like flying, should not be beaten and forced off of the flight! Place the police under stricter legislation and stop the violence!"
[effect][effect line for option one here]

[The above option should probably emphasize how the passenger paid for a seat, and it's not @@HIS@@ fault if the airline overbooked the flight, etc]

[Option 2] "Surely you aren't listening to %HIM%, are you? The police have to be able to stop crazy people from being disrespectful," exclaims Officer %RANDOMNAME%. "Law enforcement actually needs more funding, so we can stop more people like this!"
[effect][effect line for option two here]

[Change the above option to emphasize how airlines have to overbook in order to protect already extremely thin profit margins. In fact, eliminate the next option and have the speaker offer elimination of overbooking in exchange for subsidies from government instead

Option 3: The CEO of the flight company steps up. "Listen, I know. We made a mistake. Let's move on and maybe even increase funding for the flight industry." An assistant steps up to chime in, "it would be great for the economy, %LEADER%!"

Variables: Raises economic freedom, tourism. Lowers civil rights.

[Removed because see above comment]

[Option 4] "The economy? You know, that's actually the issue here. These airlines aren't being regulated enough," claims %RANDOMNAME%, who appears to be wearing a hammer and sickle t-shirt underneath %HIS% suit. "The government needs to be controlling the industry, and overbooking flights needs to be banned!"
[effect][effect line for option two here]

[change this option to an argument in favor of regulations to eliminate overbooking but without additional government subsidies. If airlines end up doing a tail spin, so be it because free market, etc.
The whole world is just made of people who didn't kill themselves today. That's who's here. It's all of us who went 'ok, fuck it, I'll keep doing it.' -- Louis C.K.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:49 pm

It's always nice to see a new writer :) And you have a great premise here. What I would suggest is to put more info in the description
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Machnod
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Machnod » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Description:

A viral video has taken flight on WhoTube, showing an @@ANIMAL@@ Airlines passenger being dragged from a aircraft after refusing deplane due to an overbooking of seats. Your secretary has cleared various interests for approach to your desk.

[Option] "You can't let this go on! The police nearly killed %HIM%! Just because he had to go to work," says %RANDOMNAME%, an advocate for social justice. "%HE% was a paying customer and it wasn't %HIS% fault the airlines overbooked. The police can't force people off of planes for no reason! Place the police under stricter legislation and stop the violence!"
[effect] Law-breaking police are arrested by their comrades.

[Option 2] "Surely you aren't listening to %HIM%, are you? The police have to be able to stop crazy people from being disrespectful," exclaims %RANDOMNAME%, a pilot. "Airlines have to overbook or they won't be able to make a profit. If you want airlines to stop overbooking, we need government subsidies!"
[effect] The airline industry is soaring.

[Option 3] "The economy? You know, that's actually the issue here. These airlines aren't regulated in the right ways," claims %RANDOMNAME%, who appears to be wearing a crossed out hammer and sickle t-shirt underneath %HIS% suit. "The government needs to be controlling the industry, and overbooking flights needs to be banned, even if it means the airlines won't profit!"
[effect] The rate of bankruptcy for airlines is flying high.

Is this better?

Katalaysia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Katalaysia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 am

I like the puns in the effect line.

Just to let you know, the variable fields are done with two @ signs around them, not percentage signs. So you'd have @@RANDOMNAME@@. Also, change the description to refusing TO deplane.
Last edited by Katalaysia on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Uses Nationstates Stats, except for population. Assume around 100,000-120,000 people.
Slight PMT. Uses forcefields and slightly more advanced robots, but otherwise MT.
Please inform me if I make any mistakes! I'm quite new to this, and don't really follow politics otherwise, so any help is appreciated!
Author of "Shh, Spoilers!" and "Plug In and Play"

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 am

Machnod wrote:

Description:

[Option] "You can't let this go on! The police nearly killed %HIM%! Just because he had to go to work," says %RANDOMNAME%, an advocate for social justice. "%HE% was a paying customer and it wasn't %HIS% fault the airlines overbooked. The police can't force people off of planes for no reason! Place the police under stricter legislation and stop the violence!"
[effect] Law-breaking police are arrested by their comrades.

[Option 2] "Surely you aren't listening to %HIM%, are you? The police have to be able to stop crazy people from being disrespectful," exclaims %RANDOMNAME%, a pilot. "Airlines have to overbook or they won't be able to make a profit. If you want airlines to stop overbooking, we need government subsidies!"
[effect] The airline industry is soaring.

[Option 3] "The economy? You know, that's actually the issue here. These airlines aren't regulated in the right ways," claims %RANDOMNAME%, who appears to be wearing a crossed out hammer and sickle t-shirt underneath %HIS% suit. "The government needs to be controlling the industry, and overbooking flights needs to be banned, even if it means the airlines won't profit!"
[effect] The rate of bankruptcy for airlines is flying high.

Is this better?

Better!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 am

I like this issue! Maybe you could add some humor to it, though. Your options are quite short, so I believe you can afford to add 1-2 lines for more comic effect.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 am

This has to be the most weirdly popular issue topic I've seen for a while We've had half a dozen issue submissions based around the same news story, and there's other active drafts right now.

ALL of them share the same flaw, in that they just lift and describe the situation from RL, but add no humour. This one is no different.

I'd either give this up as a topic that has been way over-competed for, or do something with your text to make it the best one of all.

Or, you could look to collaborate.

The other version being actively drafted is this one:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=409703
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?