NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Powerful arguments about a potential power source

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Mississippabama
Attaché

Founded: Mar 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Powerful arguments about a potential power source

Postby Mississippabama » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 pm

The Issue:
While digging an underground tunnel for a top-secret military research base in an otherwise unpopulated, remote area, the diggers discovered a new material in the earth. Military scientists have confirmed that the substance holds over a thousand times as much energy per pound than any other sources of energy and produces energy without any negative by-products, but the only known deposit of it is under said top-secret military base. There is now an ongoing debate among the advisors with top-secret security clearance about what should be done.

The Debate:

1. "We must exploit this marvelous source of energy for the good of our people!" shouts your liberal-leaning Secretary of Energy. "We can get rid of burning fossil fuels and radioactive waste from nuclear reactors! And plus, with this new source, the cost of energy will plummet, allowing for greater accessibility, helping the economy. A choice that helps both the environment and the economy, that's something many aren't fortunate to see every day."
Effect: Following new legislation in @NAME@, millions of unemployed coal miners drag down the economy.

2. "Yes, use our resources, but we mustn't be selfish and hog it all for ourselves," declares your Secretary of State. "We should sell it to poorer, energy-starved countries that need it. It will help us diplomatically, and the money from the sales will help our economy. And maybe, if other countries look for this material in their own countries and find even larger deposits, we'll end up with more than we would if we kept it all to ourselves!"
Effect: Following new legislation in @NAME@, @NAME@ sells resources to foreign countries as long as they promise to give @NAME@ even more later.

3. "What I fail to see," points out your Secretary of Treasury, "is why the government needs to take over the mining rights. If you sell the rights to the land to private industry, they can make more of a profit than we could and then sell it overseas, bringing more wealth to our nation's economy. Come to think of it, government in general is too large and we could really make a profit by privatizing some parts, like the postal system. Nothing too extensive, though."
Effect: Following new legislation in @NAME@, each branch of the military is owned by a different corporation.

4. "We can't let civilians on there," points out oil-tycoon-turned-prominent-politician and current leader of the legislative branch's intelligence committee @RANDOMNAMEMALE@, who still owns his gargantuan oil enterprise, "they're not allowed to know that it exists, so they shouldn't know that this exists either, or else they'll start asking where it was found. And besides, if the power source was introduced, it would put coal, oil, natural gas, solar, wind, hydroelectric, nuclear, geothermal and more out of business, hurting our nation's economy. You wouldn't want that, would you?"
Effect: Following new legislation in @NAME@, there was no issue to decide on because there wasn't a potential new power source found underground.

5. "He's right; we can't let civilians on there," agrees Oliver North, a lieutenant-colonal. "If we let civilians on the site, which I remind you, is a top-secret base, all of the classified information that is stored there will be leaked. In fact, the public isn't allowed to know about the site, so officially, we don't know about it because we were never doing anything there. Also, we're not looking for a weapon of mass destruction more powerful than what we already have, if you know what I mean."
Effect: Following new legislation in @NAME@, @NAME@'s weapons of mass destruction are now over a thousand times as destructive.
I like to suggest issues. Please go to some of my posts to help improve them!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=408704
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=407385
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=406973
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=409883

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Oh, you mean antimatter?

Also, I don't see why the coal miners couldn't mine the antimatter.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Leppikania wrote:Oh, you mean antimatter?

They're not allowed on the base because it's top-secret; the government isn't saying where it got the power source.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:32 pm

It's always nice to see a new writer! And your first draft is significantly better than mine would ever be. However, we have plenty of issues about alternate forms of electricty, and this one is a bit too unrealistic

Mississippabama wrote:
Leppikania wrote:Oh, you mean antimatter?

They're not allowed on the base because it's top-secret; the government isn't saying where it got the power source.

Which doesn't make sense. If you want to convert it from a military base to a mining operation, why on Earth would the location need to remain a secret?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 pm

The premise is a bit too far-fetched. Finding such a new power source would be a major technological game-changer, it's very unlikely to just suddenly happen without any warning, and it would have far-reaching effects that go way beyond a single issue.

Also, the military would just move everything that's classified to a different secret base, then decommission the old one and open it to the public for mining. Sure, that'd take some work, but if what's under the site is really that valuable, it would be easily worth it.

When I try to look past those elements, all I'm seeing is a generic "Oh no! New technology is evil, we'll all lose our jobs!" issue.

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:08 pm

Australian Republic wrote:It's always nice to see a new writer! And your first draft is significantly better than mine would ever be. However, we have plenty of issues about alternate forms of electricty, and this one is a bit too unrealistic

Mississippabama wrote:They're not allowed on the base because it's top-secret; the government isn't saying where it got the power source.

Which doesn't make sense. If you want to convert it from a military base to a mining operation, why on Earth would the location need to remain a secret?
There's so much secret technology in there that it would be impractical to get rid of all of it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:22 am

Mississippabama wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:It's always nice to see a new writer! And your first draft is significantly better than mine would ever be. However, we have plenty of issues about alternate forms of electricty, and this one is a bit too unrealistic

There's so much secret technology in there that it would be impractical to get rid of all of it.

That's a bit strange, even by NS standards. Sorry abot that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Mississippabama wrote:There's so much secret technology in there that it would be impractical to get rid of all of it.

That's a bit strange, even by NS standards. Sorry abot that
That premise isn't necessary for any of the options to make sense: In option four, it's used as an excuse because the oil tycoon doesn't want his company to go out of business, and in number five, Oliver North thinks that it would be patriotic to help the armed forces.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:29 pm

I think the premise has some problems with being unrealistic and the fact that this power source would render a lot of other issues irrelevant. We do have occasional sci-fi things like the vat people or the dinosaurs, but there is a preference for issues that use present-day tech. I am not convinced this is interesting enough to justify adding new sci-fi elements to the issues canon.

Also, why is Oliver North in this issue?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I think the premise has some problems with being unrealistic and the fact that this power source would render a lot of other issues irrelevant. We do have occasional sci-fi things like the vat people or the dinosaurs, but there is a preference for issues that use present-day tech. I am not convinced this is interesting enough to justify adding new sci-fi elements to the issues canon.

While the specific example may be far-fetched, general themes, like whether to share resources with other nations and dealing with the fact that introducing new energy sources may put existing energy companies out of business, are very much real and relevant to today's world.

As for Oliver North, I'm going to have him suggesting using something gained in one contentious and secret activity in another in a bunch of my issues. For example, here's another idea that I had:

The issue: During a time of great hostility between your government and the Bigtopian government, a Bigtopian nuclear-powered spy submarine has sunken to the bottom of the sea off of your coast. The debate now arises onto what to do about it.

The debate:
1. "You must retrieve the submarine and remove it from the ocean," says environmental activist @RANDOMNAME@. "The nuclear radiation is harming the fish, and the metals will poison our drinking water for decades to come if nothing is done!"

2. "Yes, the submarine is important to retrieve," agrees your Director of Foreign Intelligence, "but we must get it because it contains scores of codebooks, the codebooks that the Bigtopian spies used to send secret intelligence back to their own country! We've intercepted all of their messages, but without the codebooks, we have no way to translate them."

3. "Don't touch the submarine!" demands the Bigtopian ambassador to @NAME@. "It's our submarine, our passengers, so we have the rights to retrieve it and hold a proper burial for our citizens. To deny us the rights to do that would violate our culture! If you've already retrieved it, you must give it to us immeadiately!"

4. "Whatever you do, you must not let the public find out," points out your brother @RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@. "If they find out that a spy ship from an aggressive nation was within spying distance for our coast, they'll feel invaded and blame you. Make it classified to the highest level, and don't let the public learn any information that might hurt your popularity. Feel free to actually get the submarine, but only with a cover so convincing and fool-proof only a conspiracy nut would think something deeper was going on, like...I don't know...manganese nodules."

5. "You know, the fact will eventually surface that the Bigtopians are missing a submarine," points out Lieutenant-Colonel Oliver North. "So after we retrieve and copy down all of the codebooks, we should put the submarine back in the ocean. Technically, we aren't supposed to be helping the Smallandians, enemies of the Bigtopians, develop nuclear power and weapons specifically for the purpose of using them against the Bigtopians, but if the Smallandians found a sunken nuclear-powered submarine and then examined and reverse-engineered it to develop nuclear weapons, we couldn't be held accountable, if you get what I'm saying."
Last edited by Mississippabama on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:36 pm

Mississippabama wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:I think the premise has some problems with being unrealistic and the fact that this power source would render a lot of other issues irrelevant. We do have occasional sci-fi things like the vat people or the dinosaurs, but there is a preference for issues that use present-day tech. I am not convinced this is interesting enough to justify adding new sci-fi elements to the issues canon.

While the specific example may be far-fetched, general themes, like whether to share resources with other nations and dealing with the fact that introducing new energy sources may put existing energy companies out of business, are very much real and relevant to today's world.

Writing about those general themes is fine. It'd be more likely to get accepted if it was handled in a more realistic way.

As for Oliver North, I'm going to have him suggesting using something gained in one contentious and secret activity in another in a bunch of my issues. For example, here's another idea that I had:

The issue: During a time of great hostility between your government and the Bigtopian government, a Bigtopian nuclear-powered spy submarine has sunken to the bottom of the sea off of your coast. The debate now arises onto what to do about it.

The debate:
1. "You must retrieve the submarine and remove it from the ocean," says environmental activist @RANDOMNAME@. "The nuclear radiation is harming the fish, and the metals will poison our drinking water for decades to come if nothing is done!"

2. "Yes, the submarine is important to retrieve," agrees your Director of Foreign Intelligence, "but we must get it because it contains scores of codebooks, the codebooks that the Bigtopian spies used to send secret intelligence back to their own country! We've intercepted all of their messages, but without the codebooks, we have no way to translate them."

3. "Don't touch the submarine!" demands the Bigtopian ambassador to @NAME@. "It's our submarine, our passengers, so we have the rights to retrieve it and hold a proper burial for our citizens. To deny us the rights to do that would violate our culture! If you've already retrieved it, you must give it to us immeadiately!"

4. "Whatever you do, you must not let the public find out," points out your brother @RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@. "If they find out that a spy ship from an aggressive nation was within spying distance for our coast, they'll feel invaded and blame you. Make it classified to the highest level, and don't let the public learn any information that might hurt your popularity. Feel free to actually get the submarine, but only with a cover so convincing and fool-proof only a conspiracy nut would think something deeper was going on, like...I don't know...manganese modules."

5. "You know, the fact will eventually surface that the Bigtopians are missing a submarine," points out Lieutenant-Colonel Oliver North. "So after we retrieve and copy down all of the codebooks, we should put the submarine back in the ocean. Technically, we aren't supposed to be helping the Smallandians, enemies of the Bigtopians, develop nuclear power and weapons specifically for the purpose of using them against the Bigtopians, but if the Smallandians found a sunken nuclear-powered submarine and then examined and reverse-engineered it to develop nuclear weapons, we couldn't be held accountable, if you get what I'm saying."

The sunken submarine is an interesting topic, but I think the name Oliver North is too recognizable as an RL reference.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:40 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Mississippabama wrote:While the specific example may be far-fetched, general themes, like whether to share resources with other nations and dealing with the fact that introducing new energy sources may put existing energy companies out of business, are very much real and relevant to today's world.

Writing about those general themes is fine. It'd be more likely to get accepted if it was handled in a more realistic way.

The debate:

4. "Whatever you do, you must not let the public find out," points out your brother @RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@. "If they find out that a spy ship from an aggressive nation was within spying distance for our coast, they'll feel invaded and blame you. Make it classified to the highest level, and don't let the public learn any information that might hurt your popularity. Feel free to actually get the submarine, but only with a cover so convincing and fool-proof only a conspiracy nut would think something deeper was going on, like...I don't know...manganese nodules."

The sunken submarine is an interesting topic, but I think the name Oliver North is too recognizable as an RL reference.
What if his name was changed to Oliver West or something? Remember option four of issue 610?
Last edited by Mississippabama on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Mississippabama wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

What if his name was changed to Oliver West or something? Remember option four of issue 610?

That would be better. A lot of issues have characters that are based on RL people, but with the names slightly altered. Like there's one about a foreign-born politician named Weissenegger who is obviously a reference to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

World Domination Studios
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby World Domination Studios » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:56 pm

"per pound" should be "per gram".
4stan and I are the same person. Neither nationstate represents my real-world political views.

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:14 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Mississippabama wrote:What if his name was changed to Oliver West or something? Remember option four of issue 610?

That would be better. A lot of issues have characters that are based on RL people, but with the names slightly altered. Like there's one about a foreign-born politician named Weissenegger who is obviously a reference to Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I'm wondering whether I could put an Oliver West reference in the An International Incident series. In issue 387, he could propose doing weapons sales to Brasilistan through a third-party nation in exchange for Brailistan releasing the @DEMONYMADJECTIVE@ adjectives and then using the profits to fund Bigtopian guerilla fighters rebelling against the Bigtopian government, neither of which was allowed. Accepting that issue would lead to something like this:

The issue:
Amid growing public suspicion that the releases of hostages from not only Brasilistan, but one of its allies within the region, a series of weapons sales to Judea, an ally of @NAME@ in that region, and increasing numbers of increasingly expensive and powerful weapons and ammunition somehow ending up in the hands of the Bigtopian guerilla fighters are not unrelated.

The Debate:
1. "Deny it! Deny all of the weapons sales, arms-for-hostages agreements, funding of the guerilla fighters, and more!" orders Oliver West, whose idea an entire half of the scandal is. "I may be sounding selfish, but if anyone, no matter how low his rank is, gets implicated, investigators will follow the money right up to your inner circle and you, just like in the Oilnet investigations. Deny all allegations directed at anyone and eventually, the public will find something else to complain about."

2. "That's nonsense!" declares @RANDOMNAME@, who will succeed you should you die in a car crash or leave your office as leader of @NAME@ in any other way. "Investigations are already underway, and if we don't give them some false leads, they'll discover that we knew about it for months or years. I don't want to have to deal with this ever, not now, and not when I'm trying to retain my seat as leader years in the future. Just say that Oliver West and two or three other underlings are guilty, fire them, and force them to appear before court, and (hopefully) no one will ever suspect that either of us weren't out of the loop about this ever again."

3. "No matter what, they're going to find out. Just admit you did wrong, and your popularity won't tank as much as it would later if you lied through your teeth," reasons someone claiming to have inside information but refusing to share his name, instead asking that people call him by the alias Big Esophagus.

4. "People will only suspect you if they don't think that anyone else did it, so if someone else takes the blame, you'll be scot-free," reasons the leader of Bigtopia, whose town of birth has been taken over the guerillas after a violent standoff that resulted in over a quarter of its buildings getting destroyed. "If you stop helping the guerillas and start helping us, we'll use our diplomatic capital with Brasilistan to see that not only the rest of the @DEMONYMADJECTIVE@ hostages in the region, but all other foreign citizens currently being held hostage in Brasilistan, are released and then take the blame for not only the hostages that we got released, but the rest as well, in front of the international community, which will then commend us for our diplomatic work. It'll be win-win: You won't end up being implicated in a scandal, and the international community will commend us for our diplomatic work getting the hostages released."

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:52 pm

World Domination Studios wrote:"per pound" should be "per gram".

Don't correct stuff that isn't broken.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Mississippabama wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
I'm wondering whether I could put an Oliver West reference in the An International Incident series. In issue 387, he could propose doing weapons sales to Brasilistan through a third-party nation in exchange for Brailistan releasing the @DEMONYMADJECTIVE@ adjectives and then using the profits to fund Bigtopian guerilla fighters rebelling against the Bigtopian government, neither of which was allowed. Accepting that issue would lead to something like this:

The issue:
Amid growing public suspicion that the releases of hostages from not only Brasilistan, but one of its allies within the region, a series of weapons sales to Judea, an ally of @NAME@ in that region, and increasing numbers of increasingly expensive and powerful weapons and ammunition somehow ending up in the hands of the Bigtopian guerilla fighters are not unrelated.

The Debate:
1. "Deny it! Deny all of the weapons sales, arms-for-hostages agreements, funding of the guerilla fighters, and more!" orders Oliver West, whose idea an entire half of the scandal is. "I may be sounding selfish, but if anyone, no matter how low his rank is, gets implicated, investigators will follow the money right up to your inner circle and you, just like in the Oilnet investigations. Deny all allegations directed at anyone and eventually, the public will find something else to complain about."

2. "That's nonsense!" declares @RANDOMNAME@, who will succeed you should you die in a car crash or leave your office as leader of @NAME@ in any other way. "Investigations are already underway, and if we don't give them some false leads, they'll discover that we knew about it for months or years. I don't want to have to deal with this ever, not now, and not when I'm trying to retain my seat as leader years in the future. Just say that Oliver West and two or three other underlings are guilty, fire them, and force them to appear before court, and (hopefully) no one will ever suspect that either of us weren't out of the loop about this ever again."

3. "No matter what, they're going to find out. Just admit you did wrong, and your popularity won't tank as much as it would later if you lied through your teeth," reasons someone claiming to have inside information but refusing to share his name, instead asking that people call him by the alias Big Esophagus.

4. "People will only suspect you if they don't think that anyone else did it, so if someone else takes the blame, you'll be scot-free," reasons the leader of Bigtopia, whose town of birth has been taken over the guerillas after a violent standoff that resulted in over a quarter of its buildings getting destroyed. "If you stop helping the guerillas and start helping us, we'll use our diplomatic capital with Brasilistan to see that not only the rest of the @DEMONYMADJECTIVE@ hostages in the region, but all other foreign citizens currently being held hostage in Brasilistan, are released and then take the blame for not only the hostages that we got released, but the rest as well, in front of the international community, which will then commend us for our diplomatic work. It'll be win-win: You won't end up being implicated in a scandal, and the international community will commend us for our diplomatic work getting the hostages released."

We're not especially looking for new stuff to insert into existing issues. If you can talk the editors into it, more power to you, but the bar for quality is higher if you want to modify existing issues rather than adding a new one that stands on its own.

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:02 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Mississippabama wrote:I'm wondering whether I could put an Oliver West reference in the An International Incident series. In issue 387, he could propose doing weapons sales to Brasilistan through a third-party nation in exchange for Brailistan releasing the @DEMONYMADJECTIVE@ adjectives and then using the profits to fund Bigtopian guerilla fighters rebelling against the Bigtopian government, neither of which was allowed. Accepting that issue would lead to something like this:

The issue:

The Debate:

We're not especially looking for new stuff to insert into existing issues. If you can talk the editors into it, more power to you, but the bar for quality is higher if you want to modify existing issues rather than adding a new one that stands on its own.
I guess that I'm kind of addicted to putting references to Oliver North, whose idea about half of Iran-Contra was, into as many issues as I can. I initially compared Oliver North always being the voice that suggests using something gained in one contentious and secret activity in another to the leader's brother always being the voice that suggests having the leader become a dictator and not letting anyone else make decisions. How did the trend about the leader's brother start again?

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:11 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Mississippabama wrote:While the specific example may be far-fetched, general themes, like whether to share resources with other nations and dealing with the fact that introducing new energy sources may put existing energy companies out of business, are very much real and relevant to today's world.

The debate:

4. "Whatever you do, you must not let the public find out," points out your brother @RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@. "If they find out that a spy ship from an aggressive nation was within spying distance for our coast, they'll feel invaded and blame you. Make it classified to the highest level, and don't let the public learn any information that might hurt your popularity. Feel free to actually get the submarine, but only with a cover so convincing and fool-proof only a conspiracy nut would think something deeper was going on, like...I don't know...manganese modules."

5. "You know, the fact will eventually surface that the Bigtopians are missing a submarine," points out Lieutenant-Colonel Oliver West. "So after we retrieve and copy down all of the codebooks, we should put the submarine back in the ocean. Technically, we aren't supposed to be helping the Smallandians, enemies of the Bigtopians, develop nuclear power and weapons specifically for the purpose of using them against the Bigtopians, but if the Smallandians found a sunken nuclear-powered submarine and then examined and reverse-engineered it to develop nuclear weapons, we couldn't be held accountable, if you get what I'm saying."

Since I changed his name to Oliver West (Quote-editing is okay as long as it's your own quote, you make it clear that you quote-edited and exactly what edits you made, and it's nothing major, right?), could the sunken submarine issue, which I got the idea of from Project Azorian, be added to the site?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:31 am

Mississippabama wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Since I changed his name to Oliver West (Quote-editing is okay as long as it's your own quote, you make it clear that you quote-edited and exactly what edits you made, and it's nothing major, right?), could the sunken submarine issue, which I got the idea of from Project Azorian, be added to the site?

You can submit it and see what happens.

Or maybe give it its own thread and see if anyone has suggestions.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:54 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Mississippabama wrote:Since I changed his name to Oliver West (Quote-editing is okay as long as it's your own quote, you make it clear that you quote-edited and exactly what edits you made, and it's nothing major, right?), could the sunken submarine issue, which I got the idea of from Project Azorian, be added to the site?

You can submit it and see what happens.

Or maybe give it its own thread and see if anyone has suggestions.
I just submitted it.

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:56 pm

USS Monitor wrote:The sunken submarine is an interesting topic, but I think the name Oliver North is too recognizable as an RL reference.
I just gave it its own topic.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 am

As a FYI, don't number off your options in the draft text, and don't include the ' Following new legislation in @NAME@, ' in the effects line. The game adds those later, so editors have to cut it all out of the draft.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Mississippabama
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippabama » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:26 pm

The Grim Reaper wrote:As a FYI, don't number off your options in the draft text, and don't include the ' Following new legislation in @NAME@, ' in the effects line. The game adds those later, so editors have to cut it all out of the draft.
Okay, but any suggestions on how to improve the actual options and/or effects and not just their formatting?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?