NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Falling safety standards

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Falling safety standards

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:58 am

[Info] Concerns about safety measures were cast into the spotlight today after the unusual death of a teenager in a shopping centre. He apparently dropped his phone on a ledge, and climbed over a railing to go to it and retrieve his phone. However, the ledge gave way and he plummeted four stories to his death.

[validity] have deaths by accident

[option] "My son's death was due to the lack of proper safety measures!" insists @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the mother of the deceased, wiping her tears away with a handkerchief. "How could he have known that the ledge he was going to be stepping on was just a decorative installation? Any structure that cannot bear the weight of a person should have a sign indicating so, a warning telling the public to stay away from it and security guards cordoning off the area."
[effect] festive decorations are usually adorned with massive warning signs
[stats] safety increases, deaths by accident decrease, law and order funding increases, culture decreases slightly, tourism industry contracts slightly, retail industry contracts slightly, economic freedom decreases slightly

[option] "Her son's death was due to his own reckless actions," dismisses @@RANDOMNAME@@, the owner of the shopping centre, showing you security footage of the incident. "How could we have anticipated that someone would vault over the railing that we already installed just to retrieve something? We follow all of the existing safety standards and building codes, and adding useless signs would just be superfluous. The most we'll be willing to do is to put an epitaph at the scene of the mishap, if only to remind shoppers to exercise some common sense before attempting something risky."
[effect] literal signs of death line bridges and train tracks
[stats] safety increases very slightly, deaths by accident decrease very slightly, retail industry expands

[option] "Do you know why he dropped his phone in the first place?" quizzes @@RANDOMNAME@@, an eyewitness, enthusiastically reading off a stack of placards. "He actually intentionally dropped the phone while pretending to take a selfie, so that he could show off his parkour skills to his girlfriend, who was also there. This obviously calls for a ban on parkour stunts, if only to prevent a recurrence of such a tragedy."
[effect] climbing over anything is classified as attempted suicide
[stats] safety increases, authoritarianism increases, law and order increases significantly, deaths by accident decrease, crime increases, tourism industry contracts, happiness decreases, ideological radicality increases

Inspired by: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/v ... ked-online
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

A Humanist Resurrection
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Resurrection » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 am

Although the set-up is different, this reads pretty much like #105

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Any reason why he had to fall to his death? Aren't there any esculators? Or lifts?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

A Humanist Resurrection
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Resurrection » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Any reason why he had to fall to his death? Aren't there any esculators? Or lifts?

My guess would be that the ledge the phone was dropped on to was on the same floor as the area it was dropped from...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 pm

A Humanist Resurrection wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Any reason why he had to fall to his death? Aren't there any esculators? Or lifts?

My guess would be that the ledge the phone was dropped on to was on the same floor as the area it was dropped from...

Then why would he fall four stories?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

A Humanist Resurrection
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Resurrection » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Australian Republic wrote:

Then why would he fall four stories?

Cause the bit of ledge collapsed?

Find a balcony somewhere. See how there is a railing keeping you from falling off? Now, imagine climbing over the railing and trying to stand tip-toe on the barely cellphone-wide bit of trim/moulding sticking out there (the "ledge")

Hope it holds.
Last edited by A Humanist Resurrection on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Then why would he fall four stories?

Cause he slipped off the ledge?

Find a balcony somewhere. See how there is a railing keeping you from falling off? Now, imagine climbing over the railing and trying to stand tip-toe on the barely cellphone-wide bit of building sticking out there (the "ledge")

Don't slip.

I see...

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:01 am

A Humanist Resurrection wrote:Although the set-up is different, this reads pretty much like #105

Yes, but this is talking about building safety, not product safety, which is a completely different issue entirely.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:18 am

Bump, added third option.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:58 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
A Humanist Resurrection wrote:Although the set-up is different, this reads pretty much like #105

Yes, but this is talking about building safety, not product safety, which is a completely different issue entirely.

So change it a bit

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Yes, but this is talking about building safety, not product safety, which is a completely different issue entirely.

So change it a bit

I changed it a bit.

The difference between option one and option two is that one forces building owners to place the danger signs, while two makes it optional and short (and cheaper) epitaphs are often used instead.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:41 am

Bump
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:49 am

FALLING safety standards. Falling. I see what you did there. :clap:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Can I submit this? Or should I make further amendments?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?