NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] The Fastest Milkman in @@NATIONNAME@@

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:23 pm

[quote="Candlewhisper Archive";p="31351446]. The core premise here - that of job creation for the hell of it - basically isn't a reason to over-ride the free market in any way, as if you're going to create government-funded jobs for the sake of unemployment, wouldn't you create jobs that benefit society? (cleaning, nursing, teaching assistants, childcare, whatever).

Rather what you need here is:

Premise: A reason why milk delivery is being discussed as desirable. Not "unemployment", as that's a dumb reason to bring back milk floats. Rather, as its economically irrational concept, go with something irrational and emotive. [/quote]
Oh, I don't know. Governments tend to be known for their hare-brain schemes
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:51 am

Australian Republic wrote:Oh, I don't know. Governments tend to be known for their hare-brain schemes

Correction: Governments are known for hare-brained schemes that are inappropriate reactions to something that they've misunderstood or misread.

For example. Trump didn't just go "I like walls because I like bricks. Let's build a wall." He went "I saw on Fox News that Mexican immigrants are a problem... let's build a wall!"

The chain of logic doesn't have to be sound or rational, but the line of the narrative has to be continuous and believable.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Tzarsgrad
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tzarsgrad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Tell me what you think of this. I strayed away from some of your suggestions because I really like some of my original elements, but I can certainly edit out what flat out does not work.

Title: The Fastest Milkman in @@NATIONNAME@@

Validity: Nation has a sizeable dairy/soda bottling industry, moderate amount of culture, and decent tech level

Description: With the recent surge in popularity from the breakout sitcom "The Fastest Milkman in @@NATIONNAME@@ on digital streaming service Webflix, many citizens of @@NATIONNAME@@ are calling for a return to the old days like those from the program, where milk and other such goods were delivered by a neighborhood milkman in their trusty milk floats.

Option 1: "This is gonna be great!" exclaims twenty-five year old superfan @@NAME@@, dressed in a perfect replica uniform of main character Hernie @@LASTNAME@@ of the show. "This is gonna bring people back to an era when they could leave their doors unlocked, and people really talked to each other in their communities. Just think: milk, eggs, cream, cheese, butter, yogurt or even soft drinks could be brought right to their door! Plus, with all of these recyclable glass bottles and battery powered floats, there's got to be some advantage compared to wasteful plastic and smelly trucks. Just some subsidization from the government for companies to make this a reality, and we're set!"

Fallout: An increasing number of children in @@NATIONNAME@@ have different eye and hair color than their fathers.
Variables: Increased health, increased taxes, increased niceness, increased culture, slightly increased primitivism, and decreased dairy or soda bottling industries

Option 2: "Do I even need to say how ridiculous that sounds?" says CEO @@NAME@@ of Orden Dairy Milk, Creams, Dips, Cottage Cheese and Other Grocery Goods. "Not even taking into account how the milk could spoil on people's doorsteps, we don't live in those days any more, regardless of how nostalgic we feel. The reality is is that we live in a modern world with a modern economy. People can come to a grocery store if they need milk. Speaking of which, we might have just the thing to help out with that pesky shelf life problem. Tell me, @@LEADER@@, what do you know about synthetic proteins?"

Fallout: Mothers complain that their children have begun growing extra limbs after consuming newer varieties of milk.
Variables: Increased scientific advancement, increased dairy and soda bottling industries, decreased health

Option 3: “Yes, well,” interrupts your Minister of Secretary for Health and Human Services @@NAME@@ as they finish off a bottle of heavy cream and wipe their mouth. “That’s all very well and good, but back to the original idea; why stop at subsidies? Couldn’t this alienate the poor, just as privatized garbage collectors or electricity? I say we nationalize these dairy delivery services and go even further in this direction. Tax the big businesses for their wasteful plastics! Surely this is the way to ensure that every child gets the calcium that they need.” They open up another bottle after they finish speaking.

Fallout: Citizens remark that the eggs for their birthday cakes often arrive weeks after the big day.
Variables: Magnified version of option one, increased government size, increased public sector

Option 4: “Bah, all of this nonsense about milk has curdled my stomach,” says angry elderly man and famed dairyphobe @@NAME@@. “I say we put warnings on the stuff like a bottle of booze or carton of cigarettes just to people know how dangerous the stuff really is. Maybe then they’ll come to their senses and abandon the devil’s springwater.”

Fallout: Students often engage at underground “milk parties” at their parents’ disapproval.
Variables: Decrease in dairy and soda bottling, decrease in happiness, increase in rudeness
Last edited by Tzarsgrad on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains..."
Are you a fan of pen and paper games? Then check out Tortured Earth! Addictive yet simple gameplay, with modules that range from an afternoon to several sessions! Although we're only in the developmental stages, keep in touch for details!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:58 am

Looks excellent. The only thing I'd suggest now is more brevity: take a look at each option and effect, and see if you can retain the same information and humour with 30% fewer words.

Achieve that, and you're on a winner.

Tzarsgrad
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tzarsgrad » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:02 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Looks excellent. The only thing I'd suggest now is more brevity: take a look at each option and effect, and see if you can retain the same information and humour with 30% fewer words.

Achieve that, and you're on a winner.

Resubmitted, with some fat trimmed off for good measure, as you suggested.
Are you a fan of pen and paper games? Then check out Tortured Earth! Addictive yet simple gameplay, with modules that range from an afternoon to several sessions! Although we're only in the developmental stages, keep in touch for details!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 am

Much better. Good writing there.

Tzarsgrad
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tzarsgrad » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:54 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Much better. Good writing there.

Thank you very much. And thank you for the help with the writing also, I've been playing this game for a while now and even though I've written one, writing an issue for it has always seemed so special to me.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:35 am

This issue has been accepted as Issue #714 "Milky Ways". Congratulations, Tzarsgrad!
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Is the effect for option because they're having an affair with the milkman? Because, that's too vague
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:50 am

Australian Republic wrote:Is the effect for option because they're having an affair with the milkman? Because, that's too vague

In RL there was an an old joke, or even allegation, about such affairs.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?