NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Mind Blown

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The United Providences of Perland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Mind Blown

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Description: Recently, a rather weird trend of citizens mixing chemicals for cool stunts has lead to obviously bad results. One example of this being when two teens thought it would be funny to light a small homemade strontium and magnesium firework near a @@CAPITAL@@ fuel depot; thankfully, the depot was empty when it went blew sky high in a spectacular explosion of red and orange.

Validity: Valid for nations with moderate ignorance

Debate:

[option]"These kids are going to continue to hurt themselves if we don't intervene," remarks one of your health advisers, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as he removes cleansing products from a closet. "I mean, these people are risking life and limb just for a cool flash of light and a boom. Adolecents clearly can't be trusted with explosive chemicals/agents. Therefor, I find it a rather sound idea to ban minors from possesing and buying chemicals nationwide."
[effect]teens sift through shady alleyways looking for dihydrogen monoxide dealers

[option]"Who failed to teach these morons about chemical safety?" asks chemistry teacher @@RANDOMNAME@@ as he video chats you, failing to notice the kids having a Bunsen burner duel at the back of the class. "I say the government make it mandatory that chemistry and explosives awareness be taught to people in the nation. If they pass, they can get a certificate or license of some sort. Once they have said thing, they can purchase and use chemicals and light explosives."
[effect]you may only blow your pinkies off if you've been state certified

[option]"Oh come on man, who gives a crap," retorts a local teen boy who is noticeably missing his eyebrows. "It's just some harmless fun. Sure, some people may hurt themselves or blow some stuff up, but that's just natural selection or something. As long as you know what you're doing it is perfectly safe. So, why not just give people the freedom to do what they please with their explosive masterpieces."
[effect]the weather in the nation is cloudy with a chance of fingers
Last edited by The United Providences of Perland on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:44 am, edited 10 times in total.
It's been over two years that Perland has been on Nation States!
Author of issues 651: Black Days for @@NAME@@ and 1016: Breaking Upset

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 am

Option 1- I don't know if you can call them terrorists. A terrorist intentionally tries to kill people, This is just a matter of idiots being idiots
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:00 am

Australian Republic wrote:Option 1- I don't know if you can call them terrorists. A terrorist intentionally tries to kill people, This is just a matter of idiots being idiots

Fixed

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:21 pm

More suggestions please.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:26 am

The United Providences of Perland wrote:Description: Recently, a rather weird trend of citizens mixing chemicals for cool stunts has lead to obviously bad results. One example of this being when two teens thought it would be funny to light a small homemade gunpowder and magnesium firework near a @@CAPITAL@@ fuel depot; thankfully the depot was empty when it went blew sky high in a spectacular explosion of red and orange. Concern citizens have blown through your residence demanding solutions.

Nice premise.

Strontium for red, not magnesium. Or you could make it "a small homemade strontium and magnesium firework near a petroleum depot" for red, orange and white.

I think the last line is redundant - a classic "people want something to be done" line that is ripe for cutting.

[option]"These morons are fregin' threats I tell ya," shouts your Domestic Security Adviser, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I mean these pyromaniacs are not only blowing up precious fuel, but are jeopardizing the lives of others, and themselves. I read reports of one teen who accidentally killed his entire family by pouring huge amounts of ammonia and bleach into a boiling pot. We need to ban these hazardous chemicals out right.

Fregin'?

This reads badly, and doesn't transmit enough information. Also, why isn't the ammonia story the issue, if something like this happened?

I would suggest getting to the point of the action plan straight away. Something like:

[option]"Who let these morons get their hands on hazardous chemicals?" asks fire officer @@random_name()@@, brushing soot from @@HIS@@ uniform. "Lives are being put at risk. I read a report from the United Federation of one teen who accidentally gassed his entire family by mixing printer's ammonia with household bleach. We need to regulate the sale of any chemicals to minors."

[effect]metaphorical and literal bubble wrap is being applied to everything nation wide

The bubble wrap joke has recently been used, in All Shook Up, and worked better there.

I'd suggest a joke that purposefully over-understands the word "chemicals". Like:

[effect]youngsters hang around outside newsagents asking adults if they will buy them a bottle of dihydrogen monoxide

Next up, I'd suggest proposing a second solution to the problem, and echoing the previous opening. For example, starting off:

[option]"Who failed to teach these morons about chemical safety?" asks chemistry teacher @@random_name()@@, failing to notice the kids having a bunsen burner duel at the back of his class.

Doesn't have to be that, but it'd be nice to have 2-3 positive solutions before going to the "freedom, man" teen.

[option]"Oh come on man, who gives a crap," retorts a local teen who is noticeably missing his right hand. "It's just some harmless fun. Sure, some people may hurt themselves or blow some stuff up, but that's just natural selection or something. As long as you know what you're doing it is perfectly safe. So, why not just give people the freedom to do what they please with their explosive masterpieces.
[effect]the weather in the nation is cloudy with a chance of fingers

The injury victim doesn't seem a believable advocate for this position. I'd change "right hand" to "right eyebrow".

[option]"Or we could come to a slight compromise here," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, infamous @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ chemist as he Mypes you from an undisclosed location. "I say the government fund explosives academies to teach people proper mixing, detonation, and construction of explosives and chemistry. Then, you make it illegal to posses explosive chemicals, and use them without a certification of completion. This will surely help the problem.
[effect]only the pros blow themselves up

I see you got the education option here. Move it up a place, and merge it with the previously suggested opening.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:*snip*

Oh dear jesus ok. I fixed everything you mentioned. I also took all your recommendations to heart, and added my own spin to them. Do they look alright now? I like adding my own bit of comedy in there.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:32 am

Please bear in mind that I only ever respond with that level of detail for drafts that are clearly ones that are potentially publishable. No point spending time polishing turds, after all.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:29 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Please bear in mind that I only ever respond with that level of detail for drafts that are clearly ones that are potentially publishable. No point spending time polishing turds, after all.

Thank you very much CWA!

Helaw
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Helaw » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:10 pm

The United Providences of Perland wrote:Description: Recently, a rather weird trend of citizens mixing chemicals for cool stunts has lead to obviously bad results. One example of this being when two teens thought it would be funny to light a small homemade strontium and magnesium firework near a @@CAPITAL@@ fuel depot; thankfully the depot was empty when it went blew sky high in a spectacular explosion of red and orange.

Overall, this is a good description at the moment. I would recommend a comma between 'thankfully' and 'the', but other than that I have no particular critical comments to speak of.

The United Providences of Perland wrote:we don't intervene" remarks

When a quote ends in such a fashion (i.e. leading into a "Says Person X, while he eats a tasty sandwich" part), there should be a comma just before the quotation mark.

The United Providences of Perland wrote:remarks one of your health advisers @@RANDOMNAME@@ as he removes cleansing products from a closet.

When you interject with the speaker's name, it should be done using commas. To illustrate: "...remarks one of your health advisers, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as he removes cleansing products from a closet."

The United Providences of Perland wrote:Mypes

Is this meant to be a different take on the word 'Skype'? Either way, I'm not too keen on it, as it seems out of place.

There aren't many comments I can make beyond these that aren't painfully pretentious. Good draft, neat idea.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Helaw wrote:
The United Providences of Perland wrote:Description: Recently, a rather weird trend of citizens mixing chemicals for cool stunts has lead to obviously bad results. One example of this being when two teens thought it would be funny to light a small homemade strontium and magnesium firework near a @@CAPITAL@@ fuel depot; thankfully the depot was empty when it went blew sky high in a spectacular explosion of red and orange.

Overall, this is a good description at the moment. I would recommend a comma between 'thankfully' and 'the', but other than that I have no particular critical comments to speak of.

The United Providences of Perland wrote:we don't intervene" remarks

When a quote ends in such a fashion (i.e. leading into a "Says Person X, while he eats a tasty sandwich" part), there should be a comma just before the quotation mark.

The United Providences of Perland wrote:remarks one of your health advisers @@RANDOMNAME@@ as he removes cleansing products from a closet.

When you interject with the speaker's name, it should be done using commas. To illustrate: "...remarks one of your health advisers, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as he removes cleansing products from a closet."

The United Providences of Perland wrote:Mypes

Is this meant to be a different take on the word 'Skype'? Either way, I'm not too keen on it, as it seems out of place.

There aren't many comments I can make beyond these that aren't painfully pretentious. Good draft, neat idea.

Thank ya, changes made.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:35 pm

I'll probably be submitting this within a day or two, and last suggestions?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?