NATION

PASSWORD

SUBMITTED Money talks, company walks

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

SUBMITTED Money talks, company walks

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Title: Money talks, company walks

Description: After the treasurer proposed to close loopholes exempting multinationals from taxation, many companies have threatened to close their regional and global headquarters in @@NAME@@, and move to tax havens, where they will also be registered. You, @@LEADER@@, have been given the final say in the manner, and fearing the negative economic impact, have been urged to reject the proposal

Validity: There must be taxation, only valid for capitalist nations

Options
[option] “Why should my company keep its headquarters in @@NAME@@, when Tasmania has half the corporate tax rate?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the CEO of McRonalds, searching for unclosed loop holes “Damn right we’re not going to keep our @@REGION@@-based headquarters here! Though if you want us to, I suggest that you lower the corporate tax rate, post-haste.”
[effect] small business owners claim to have shareholders to avoid taxation

[option] “That’s bloody brilliant, isn’t it?” sarcastically asks shopkeeper, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst desperately trying to sell you a litre of milk “I bust me gut day in, day out to compete against these big supermarkets, but I still have to pay bloody taxes. These big supermarkets already have more money than me, how come I don’t get no tax cut?”
[effect] @@NAME@@’s status as a tax haven has seen black market activity confused for legitimate business

[option] “These corporate fat cats are robbing the taxpayer!” complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst waiting in line for tax-payer funded unemployment benefits. “These fat cat companies are making plenty of money. They can pay their damned taxes. If they don’t like it, they can pack up and move to Tasmania, what good do they do us here anyway?”
[effect] former executives are left homeless as companies move to tax havens

Description: After the treasurer threatened to close loopholes exempting multinationals from taxation, many companies have threatened to close their regional and global headquarters in @@NAME@@, and move to tax havens. Fearing the negative economic impact, you, @@LEADER@@, have been urged to reverse the decision.

Options
[option] “Why should my company keep its headquarters in @@NAME@@, when Tasmania has half the corporate tax rate?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the CEO of McRonalds, searching for unclosed loop holes “Damn right we’re not going to keep our @@REGION@@-based headquarters here! Though if you want us to, I suggest that you lower the corporate tax rate, post-haste.”
[effect] @@NAME@@’s top ten multinationals collectively paid 1 @@CURRENCY@@ of tax in the last financial year

[option] “That’s bloody brilliant, isn’t it?” sarcastically asks shopkeeper, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst desperately trying to sell you a litre of milk “I bust me gut day in, day out to compete against these big supermarkets, but I still have to pay bloody taxes. These big supermarkets already have more money than me, how come I don’t get no tax cut?”
[effect] shift workers register themselves as “self-employed contractors” to legally avoid taxation

[option] “These corporate fat cats are robbing the taxpayer!” complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst waiting in line for tax-payer funded unemployment benefits. “These fat cat companies are making plenty of money. They can pay their damned taxes. If they don’t like it, they can pack up and move to Tasmania, what good do they do us here anyway?”

Description: After the treasurer threatened to close loopholes exempting multinationals from taxation, many companies have threatened to close their regional and global headquarters in @@NAME@@, and move to tax havens. Fearing the economic impact, you, @@LEADER@@, have been urged to reverse the decision

Options
[option] “Why should my company keep its headquarters in @@NAME@@, when Tasmania has half the corporate tax rate?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the CEO of McRonalds “Damn right we’re not going to keep our @@REGION@@-based headquarters here, though if you want us to, I suggest that you lower the corporate tax rate”
[effect] @@NAME@@’s top ten multinationals collectively paid 1 @@CURRENCY@@ of tax in the last financial year

[option] “That’s bloody brilliant, isn’t it?” sarcastically asks shopkeeper, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst selling a litre of milk “I bust me gut day in day out to compete against these big supermarkets, but I still have pay tax. These big supermarkets already have more money than me, how come I don’t get no tax cut?”
[effect] shift workers register themselves as “self-employed contractors” to legally avoid taxation

[option] “These corporate fat cats are robbing the taxpayer!” complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst waiting in line for unemployment benefits “These fat cat companies are making plenty of money. They can pay their damned taxes. If they don’t like it, they can pack up and move to Tasmania, we don’t want them here anyway”
[effect] executives are left homeless as companies move overseas to avoid taxation
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Australian Republic wrote: Title: Money talks, company walks

Description: After the treasurer threatened to close loopholes exempting multinationals from taxation, many companies have threatened to close their regional and global headquarters in @@NAME@@, and move to tax havens. Fearing the economic impact, you, @@LEADER@@, have been urged to reverse the decision

Options
[option] “Why should my company keep its headquarters in @@NAME@@, when Tasmania has half the corporate tax rate?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the CEO of McRonalds “Damn right we’re not going to keep our @@REGION@@-based headquarters here, though if you want us to, I suggest that you lower the corporate tax rate”

[option] “That’s bloody brilliant, isn’t it?” sarcastically asks shopkeeper, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst selling a litre of milk “I bust me gut day in day out to compete against these big supermarkets, but I still have pay tax. These big supermarkets already have more money than me, how come I don’t get no tax?”
[option] “These corporate fat cats are robbing the taxpayer!” complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst waiting in line for unemployment benefits “These fat cat companies are making plenty of money. They can pay their damned taxes. If they don’t like it, they can pack up and move to Tasmania, we don’t want them here anyway”
[effect] executives are left homeless as companies move overseas to avoid taxation

As I've said every time you post a draft... this needs some more detail.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:

Options

[option] “That’s bloody brilliant, isn’t it?” sarcastically asks shopkeeper, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst selling a litre of milk “I bust me gut day in day out to compete against these big supermarkets, but I still have pay tax. These big supermarkets already have more money than me, how come I don’t get no tax?”

As I've said every time you post a draft... this needs some more detail.

Where is it lacking detail?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Noahs Second Country wrote:As I've said every time you post a draft... this needs some more detail.

Where is it lacking detail?

TBH, all of it...
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Where is it lacking detail?

TBH, all of it...

Help, please

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:11 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:As I've said every time you post a draft... this needs some more detail.

I don't know that it does need more detail. Waffle for its own sake isn't a good thing, and the dilemma has been clearly laid out.

As your issues go, Aussie, this is one of the cleaner and more usable ones.

I suggest what it needs more of is humour.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:04 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

I don't know that it does need more detail. Waffle for its own sake isn't a good thing, and the dilemma has been clearly laid out.

As your issues go, Aussie, this is one of the cleaner and more usable ones.

I suggest what it needs more of is humour.

Why thank you. Suggestions?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 am

Yeah, add more humour.

Obviously easier said than done, but having a sense of humour is what makes you a published author, so your'e entirely capable of the heavy lifting here.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:39 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Yeah, add more humour.

Obviously easier said than done, but having a sense of humour is what makes you a published author, so your'e entirely capable of the heavy lifting here.

Really? I'm humourous? Thanks, I guees. I'll look over my old issues, and see what I can change

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:05 am

Description: After the treasurer threatened to close loopholes exempting multinationals from taxation, many companies have threatened to close their regional and global headquarters in @@NAME@@, and move to tax havens. Fearing the negative economic impact, you, @@LEADER@@, have been urged to reverse the decision.

Options
[option] “Why should my company keep its headquarters in @@NAME@@, when Tasmania has half the corporate tax rate?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the CEO of McRonalds, head of a popular fast food chain. “Damn right we’re not going to keep our @@REGION@@-based headquarters here, though if you want us to, I suggest that you lower the corporate tax rate.

[option] “That’s bloody brilliant, isn’t it?” sarcastically asks shopkeeper, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst selling a litre of milk “I bust me gut day in and day out to compete against these big supermarkets, but I still have to pay tax. These big supermarkets already have more money than me, how come I don’t get no tax cut?”

[option] “These corporate fat cats are robbing the taxpayer!” complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, as they waiting in line for unemployment benefits. “These fat cat companies are making plenty of money. They can pay their damned taxes. If they don’t like it, they can pack up and move to Tasmania, we don’t want them here anyway!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Second draft is up, I initially tried to use humour with the hypocrisy of the third guy who was complaining about companies ripping off the tax payer, whilst he himself was waiting for unemployment benefits, but hopefully that's clearer now. I also added the first guy desperately looking for loop-holes and the second guy desperately trying to sell his wears

Options
[option] “Why should my company keep its headquarters in @@NAME@@, when Tasmania has half the corporate tax rate?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the CEO of McRonalds, head of a popular fast food chain. “Damn right we’re not going to keep our @@REGION@@-based headquarters here, though if you want us to, I suggest that you lower the corporate tax rate.

[option] “That’s bloody brilliant, isn’t it?” sarcastically asks shopkeeper, @@RANDOMNAME@@, whilst selling a litre of milk “I bust me gut day in and day out to compete against these big supermarkets, but I still have to pay tax. These big supermarkets already have more money than me, how come I don’t get no tax cut?”

[option] “These corporate fat cats are robbing the taxpayer!” complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, as they waiting in line for unemployment benefits. “These fat cat companies are making plenty of money. They can pay their damned taxes. If they don’t like it, they can pack up and move to Tasmania, we don’t want them here anyway!

Thanks, though the expression is "day in, day out" and not "day in and day out". Also, the third option, no, only one person who is waiting in line is referenced. I used the rest of your edits, though

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 am

Australian Republic wrote:Title: Money talks, company walks

Phrase this differently, as there is no decision to be reversed till LEADER makes the decision.

A similar effect line already exists on another issue:

@desc: one year's corporation tax from three international megacorporations has funded one dozen shiny black pencils for @@LEADER@@'s office

I remember it because I came up with it. We must think alike!

Bit of a poor line. Neither makes sense, nor raises a real laugh. Part of the problem is that the option isn't explicit about what it is suggesting selecting the option means.

Are we saying that we would abolish all tax? Cos that's a seriously big effect.

Bit boring, and bit odd too, as the geographic location of where a company is has very little to do with where its registered for tax.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Third Draft

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:51 am

Last Call before submission

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:34 am

Looks good enough to me.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 am

Agree, good enough for the yes pool. As you know, that might not mean publication, but submit this whenever you want to, or work on it further, up to you.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Based on CWA's words, it could stand to be better. Any suggestions?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:44 am

Submitted

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?