NATION

PASSWORD

[DITCHED] Unexpected expropriation

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DITCHED] Unexpected expropriation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:38 am

[info] The government has recently utilized its policy on eminent domain to repossess the property of noctorious grifter and pug trafficker, Hal "8-Ball" Mystery, located in the scenic, countryside town of @@ANIMAL@@ Falls. After a search of the property, investigators found a mysterious and active machine in the shape of a triangle, which was apparently constructed by Hal, and evidence of a massive counterfeiting operation implicating him. It is up to you to decide the next course of action.

[validity] must allow eminent domain, have high scientific advancement and high crime

[option] "Whatever you do, don't turn off that machine!" pleads Hal, trying but failing to look remorseful, while being led away in handcuffs. "I know that I've done some bad things before, but I've only got the best of intentions with that device! I believe that it can increase the intelligence of anyone in it's vicinity. Just leave it alone and don't touch it. You've got to trust me!"
[effect] villagers in @@ANIMAL@@ Falls complain that they are hearing voices that are not there
[stats] health decreases slightly, ideological radicality increases slightly, recreational drug use decreases slightly

[option] "That machine Hal built is really impressive." gushes Professor @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Mcsocket, a Material Scientist, turning on a personal computer and showing you some pictures of the big dumb object. "It appears to be made up of some kind of new synthetic material. If you give me permission, I can shut the machine down, transport it to the laboratory and safely conduct tests on it. Through reverse-engineering, we could save years of research and funding! So what do you say?"
[effect] a criminal mastermind is known for playing a big hand in the material sciences
[stats] scientific advancement increases, information technology industry expands, crime increases slightly

[option] "That seems like a real waste of this here machine!" snaps Military Engineer @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, nicknamed 'Napolean' for her short height and equally short temper. "Ol'e Hal was correct, it can indeed alter the minds of nearby people, but ay found that it harms brains instead of helping them. If we, say, make a scaled up version of this, ayn' maybe run a couple av' terawatts av' electricity through it, ay postulate that it could be used ta fry the minds of our enemies. All we need is Hal out av jail ta help us ta build our prototype!"
[effect] @@NAME@@'s new 'powerful' weapon causes mild headaches and auditory hallucinations
[stats] crime increases, defensive forces grow, defense funding increases, arms manufacturing industry expands, scientific advancement increases, pacifism decreases

[option] "Uncle Hal is innocent!" insists Maple "Shooting Star" Mystery, his niece, bursting into your office. "Sure, he might shoplift the occasional grapefruit, but he's not a currency counterfeiter! Someone must have planted the 'evidence' to get him into trouble. It's his triangle, and it's his house! The government has no business stealing the property of honest, hard-working citizens. Put an end to this practise and leave our family alone!"
[effect] government projects grind to a halt as eminent domain powers have all but gone overnight
[stats] educational funding decreases, healthcare funding decreases, industry funding increases, economic freedom increases, crime increases, black market activity rises, corruption drops, government size falls

Inspired entirely by Gravity Falls episode "Not What He Seems".

1st person is an expy of Stan Pines.
2nd person is an expy of Hadron Mcgucket.
3rd person is an expy of Lil ol'e Gideon.
4th person is an expy of Mabel Pines.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 am

So what is this triangle?

Basing the central presmise of an issue on a nonsensical device that is never explained does not seem like the way to go to me.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Trotterdam wrote:So what is this triangle?

Basing the central presmise of an issue on a nonsensical device that is never explained does not seem like the way to go to me.

The machine's abilities are briefly discussed.

In option 3, the military engineer states that "it can alter brainwaves of nearby people" and that it could "be used as some sawt av literal psychological weapon".

This indicates that the machine actually alters the brain patterns of nearby people.

From option 1:
The talking triangle thing is just a hint that people are actually losing some of their sanity, hench the decrease in health, increase in ideological radicality and decrease in recreational drug use as people are afraid to continue taking drugs, worrying that the side effects may include these 'hallucinations'. Also, you could connect the triangular shape of the machine with its very 'three-sided' effects.

Furthermore, in option 2, it is clearly said by the Professor that "The machine that Hal built is really impressive!". It is actually stated that Hal built the machine. It didn't appear out of nowhere. (Also, the professor and the engineer, both who are not Hal or related to Hal, are probably more trustworthy)

Of course, I could replace "see a talking triangle in their dreams" with "hear voices in their head", which makes the damage caused more obvious.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

I agree with Trotterdam. There's a machine causing so much panic, and nobody knows what it does
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:03 am

Australian Republic wrote:I agree with Trotterdam. There's a machine causing so much panic, and nobody knows what it does

So... ... what do you suggest I do?

I can't work with "machine is weird what does it do".
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:17 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:I agree with Trotterdam. There's a machine causing so much panic, and nobody knows what it does

So... ... what do you suggest I do?

Taking it out to a remote part of the desert and test it would be the most logical thing, I suppose...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:14 am

Australian Republic wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:So... ... what do you suggest I do?

Taking it out to a remote part of the desert and test it would be the most logical thing, I suppose...

So I changed a few things... ...
Is it more understandable?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Bump
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:33 am

I can only echo what Trotterdam and Aussie are saying: the premise here is still very weak, mixing up ideas around eminent domain, a weird artifact, some sort of 2001 joke and a counterfeiting operation, and not actually presenting an issue.

Rein in that crazy imagination for a bit. I mean, I like surreal stream-of-consciousness writing as much as the next 10,000-monkey-genocider, but issues need to be a bit more coherent.

I think maybe if it's about the weird and mysterious triangle, make it about the weird and mysterious triangle, spend more words on establishing that, and less on trying to clumsily set up jokes later in the issue.

Something like:

What's triangular, exactly 17 foot 11 inches each side, as black as obsidian, is covered in strange arcane sigils of an unknown language, makes a humming and clicking noise when you turn it on, and uses a Bigtopian power outlet for its power lead? You have no idea, and nor do the confused police officers who found this odd artefact-machine in the basement of a house that they were raiding in the expectation of finding illegal contraband.

[option] "Whatever you do, don't turn off that machine!" pleads Hal, the house owner, as he is led away in handcuffs. "...
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?