NATION

PASSWORD

[WIP] IGNORE

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

[WIP] IGNORE

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:08 pm

[desc]After inadvertently watching the season 2 premiere of "Z-Day Preppers,", and then following your annual meeting with your Minister of Emergency Handling, you've realized that disaster could strike at any moment. A few people have met with you to help prepare for the impending apocalypse, if there ever is one. However, you have no idea what to prepare for, if anything.
[validity]Low safety, lower taxation, more freedoms.
[option]"Z-Day will come, mark my words," claims horror writer Jax Rooks, author of a popular zombie book series. "Hundreds of people die every day. Millions die every year. When Z-Day comes, we need to be prepared for billions of zombies everywhere in @@REGION@@. Who knows what will happen. Luckily, you can buy my books and figure out how to survive any zombie attack, for example, you can purchase, 20 Ways to Kill an Undead Human Being for only 29.99, plus shipping and handling. You can also purchase my patented zombie apocalypse survival tools. Maybe you could also go and advertise my book too...?"
[effect]this nonexistent effect line is really weak and I'll change it later.
[option]"Now lets be realistic here," claims theorist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "There is no way to survive the apocalypse. There are only 3 likely situations; the universe compresses, and universe over expands, or we get hit by an asteroid. To be honest, we should just stop preparing for the end of the world, because there is no way to sustain our race."
[effect]...
[option]"Actually, it is quite the opposite." says @@RANDOMNAME@@. "There is a volcano in Greenstone Park in Maxtopia. According to some research conducted by my team, this volcano could potentially annihilate all of @@REGION@@ in one go! Worst of all, we don't know when this is going to happen, but when it does, expect extreme climate change and earthquakes everywhere. That's what you need to prepare for."
[effect]
[option]"You are overlooking things here," inserts tree hugger @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has just ridden in via bicycle. "Global warming is the real problem. The only way to reverse it is to endorse clean energy, electric cars, and reduced emissions. By using sustainable, natural resources, we can prevent global warning completely."
[effect]
[option-validity]Must not have banned AI]
[option]"The only thing that will kill all of us is what we've made— artificial intelligence." states Luddite @@RANDOMNAME@@. I keep
[option]"This is what happens when you export more than you import," claims @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Director of the Emergency Preparedness Agency. "This agency has been underfunded and ignored. Now it is time for you to make up for it. We need to half the amount of necessities that we export, and double what we import. Then, we need to claim as many of these materials as we possibly can. Only then will @@NAME@@ be ready for the apocalypse. By the way, thanks for finding my golf clubs."
[effect]the economy looks like it has been hit by the apocalypse, to prepare for it.

[option]"Kill the economy to save the people... makes sense," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, founder of ZombieKiller Inc.. My company manufactures and installs professional apocalypse weapons and parts for whomever pays for it. For the past 21 years, we have been working towards a more prepared and aware population. However, we remain small and are lacking in profit. With enough money, we could provide cheaper and better shelters, as well as state of the art food storage and weapons systems. With citizens armed with WaterGuns™ and our newest product, BrainFood™, citizens will be ready for when the zombies come. Just sign this bill— the cost is definitely worth it."
[effect]food and water are being conserved to shoot at zombies when the apocalypse strikes.

[option]"Zombies? Are you serious?" questions scientist @@RANDOMNAME@@, while nervously and repeatedly checking a complex and confusing instrument. "We should be worried more about more reasonable apocalyptic situations, like the Greenstone Caldera in Bigtopia! Dormant for 420 years... and then it explodes and sends @@REGION@@ into an Ice Age! We need to monitor these kinds of things, so we can all flee when the time comes!"
[effect]the government monitors problems but doesn't do anything about them.

[option]"Have you heard of natural selection?" asks well known anarchist and flag burner @@RANDOMNAME@@. "This nation is supposed to be great, but there are so many people who live on welfare. This is just like extended welfare for the poor people. Tell the rich to prepare themselves for the apocalypse, and tell the poor that they can go and—" a small grenade in your closet explodes and you are forced to evacuate the scene.
[effect]the wealthy are rarely seen, as they live in zombie - proof shelters

Edit: Added options
Added option 3.
Last edited by Noahs Second Country on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am, edited 9 times in total.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:23 am

RE Description: SO you want to create a national emergency supply, dispite the fact that one already exists?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 am

Australian Republic wrote:RE Description: SO you want to create a national emergency supply, dispite the fact that one already exists?

One exists, its just hopelessly lacking in supplies.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:52 am

Australian Republic wrote:RE Description: SO you want to create a national emergency supply, dispite the fact that one already exists?

Despite
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Done with the options and effects.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:18 pm

I really like this idea!

How about some crazy citizen who is really obsessed with preparing for the apocalypse and who takes this idea VERY seriously, like some people we see on Doomsday Preppers. I'd suggest you add such a person to your issue, his/her proposal could be the 4th option.

This person, for instance, could ask you to invest a lot of money for buying emergency supplies for a disaster scenario which will probably NEVER happen in real life.

So how about a Nervous Nelly who is afraid that a volcano in Bigtopia that has been dormant for 2,000 years may become active again and spurt out lava, then this huge mass of lava can flow into the sea, thereby creating a chain of big waves, which, by the time they reach the coastline of @@NATION@@ turn into a tsunami and destroy every person and thing that stands in their way... and then s/he suggests that every house should build a waterproof shelter or that you buy an inflatable rescue boat for every citizen, or something like that.

Truth is, such people do exist - so why shouldn't one exist in your issue?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Honestly, this seems like the perfect place to throw in a reference to the yearly NS zombie invasion. You could have someone present it as an example of how important an emergency supply would be, reference it in the description as a reason why the supply is depleted, or even have someone say something like a zombie invasion is impossible as a joke.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Drayxaso wrote:Honestly, this seems like the perfect place to throw in a reference to the yearly NS zombie invasion. You could have someone present it as an example of how important an emergency supply would be, reference it in the description as a reason why the supply is depleted, or even have someone say something like a zombie invasion is impossible as a joke.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I really like this idea!

How about some crazy citizen who is really obsessed with preparing for the apocalypse and who takes this idea VERY seriously, like some people we see on Doomsday Preppers. I'd suggest you add such a person to your issue, his/her proposal could be the 4th option.

This person, for instance, could ask you to invest a lot of money for buying emergency supplies for a disaster scenario which will probably NEVER happen in real life.

So how about a Nervous Nelly who is afraid that a volcano in Bigtopia that has been dormant for 2,000 years may become active again and spurt out lava, then this huge mass of lava can flow into the sea, thereby creating a chain of big waves, which, by the time they reach the coastline of @@NATION@@ turn into a tsunami and destroy every person and thing that stands in their way... and then s/he suggests that every house should build a waterproof shelter or that you buy an inflatable rescue boat for every citizen, or something like that.

Truth is, such people do exist - so why shouldn't one exist in your issue?

Alright. I'll change stuff later.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:So how about a Nervous Nelly who is afraid that a volcano in Bigtopia that has been dormant for 2,000 years may become active again and spurt out lava, then this huge mass of lava can flow into the sea, thereby creating a chain of big waves, which, by the time they reach the coastline of @@NATION@@ turn into a tsunami and destroy every person and thing that stands in their way... and then s/he suggests that every house should build a waterproof shelter or that you buy an inflatable rescue boat for every citizen, or something like that.

Changed the idea a little, but thanks. Added it as option 3.

Helaw
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Helaw » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 pm

The effect lines lack a little pizzazz. Some advice that I'll give for them is that they should avoid telling the reader upfront what has happened; instead, they should explore the outcome in a humorous and occasionally downright ridiculous way. Regardless, they should always be as funny as possible.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Helaw wrote:The effect lines lack a little pizzazz. Some advice that I'll give for them is that they should avoid telling the reader upfront what has happened; instead, they should explore the outcome in a humorous and occasionally downright ridiculous way. Regardless, they should always be as funny as possible.

I did them in about 20 seconds... so yeah. When I have time I will fix them.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 am

Changed the effect lines, but can't think of much right now. I would like some title suggestions.

Planning to submit this one soon, I like how it has come out so far.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:47 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:as well as the knowledge that disaster could strike at any moment,

This line is too assumptive.

you have spontaneously went and called a few "experts" to address the issue.

This line overrides player autonomy.

[option]"This is what happens when you export more than you import," claims @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Director of the Emergency Preparedness Agency. "This agency has been underfunded and ignored. Now it is time for you to make up for it. We need to half the amount of necessities that we export, and double what we import. Then, we need to claim as many of these materials as we possibly can. Only then will @@NAME@@ be ready for the apocalypse. By the way, thanks for finding my golf clubs."
[effect]the economy looks like it has been hit by the apocalypse, to prepare for it.

This makes absolutely no sense. What does the balance of trade have to do with the size of your private apocalypse stockpile?

[option]"Kill the economy to save the people... makes sense," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, founder of ZombieKiller Inc.. My company manufactures and installs professional apocalypse weapons and parts for whomever pays for it. For the past 21 years, we have been working towards a more prepared and aware population. However, we remain small and are lacking in profit. With enough money, we could provide cheaper and better shelters, as well as state of the art food storage and weapons systems. With citizens armed with WaterGuns™ and our newest product, BrainFood™, citizens will be ready for when the zombies come. Just sign this bill— the cost is definitely worth it."
[effect]food and water are being conserved to shoot at zombies when the apocalypse strikes.

Too waffly, for an option that essentially comes down to "fill a bunker with guns".

[option]"Zombies? Are you serious?" questions scientist @@RANDOMNAME@@, while nervously and repeatedly checking a complex and confusing instrument. "We should be worried more about more reasonable apocalyptic situations, like the Greenstone Caldera in Bigtopia! Dormant for 420 years... and then it explodes and sends @@REGION@@ into an Ice Age! We need to monitor these kinds of things, so we can all flee when the time comes!"

The effect line says it all - you're not addressing the presented issue.

[option]"Have you heard of natural selection?" asks well known anarchist and flag burner @@RANDOMNAME@@. "This nation is supposed to be great, but there are so many people who live on welfare. This is just like extended welfare for the poor people. Tell the rich to prepare themselves for the apocalypse, and tell the poor that they can go and—" a small grenade in your closet explodes and you are forced to evacuate the scene.

What do the shelters of the rich and poor people have to do with it? The presented issue was that LEADER's bunker is understocked.

Right now this issue is all over the place, and would be an easy reject for any editor. I suggest wind back to the core premise, tighten that up, then have options that actually address the premise.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 am

What scale are we discussing here?
A local disaster such as an earthquake or a fire, or a national disaster such as a medical emergency or a war? If the former, the emergency supply plan would include shipping in supplies from the rest of the nation, or if your problem is the latter (and/or, you're the size of Singapore), that plan would leave you up the creak without a paddle...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:19 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Noahs Second Country wrote:as well as the knowledge that disaster could strike at any moment,

Perhaps validity for nations with bad weather? I'm not sure if I understand your second statement.

This makes absolutely no sense. What does the balance of trade have to do with the size of your private apocalypse stockpile?

Admittedly, this option is not well written. I tried to set it up as a "hoard everything option," and failed miserably.
[option]"Kill the economy to save the people... makes sense," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, founder of ZombieKiller Inc.. My company manufactures and installs professional apocalypse weapons and parts for whomever pays for it. For the past 2 years, we have been working towards a more prepared and aware population. However, we remain small and are lacking in profit. With enough money, we could provide cheaper and better shelters, as well as state of the art food storage and weapons systems. With citizens armed with WaterGuns™ and our newest product, BrainFood™, citizens will be ready for when the zombies come. Just sign this bill— the cost is definitely worth it."

I tried to set this up as a "Shark Tank" situation, where a small company pitches their product to Leader.

I'll change this to a "be prepared for an actual problem, not zombies" option.

What do the shelters of the rich and poor people have to do with it? The presented issue was that LEADER's bunker is understocked.

Right now this issue is all over the place, and would be an easy reject for any editor. I suggest wind back to the core premise, tighten that up, then have options that actually address the premise.

I set this issue up as the @@NAME@@ supply (concerning necessities such as water and food), not one of Leader's... bad idea?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Well, you've gone and made me write another Workshop factbook.

What is player autonomy?

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=can ... /id=775709

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Well, you've gone and made me write another Workshop factbook.

What is player autonomy?

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=can ... /id=775709

Ah, thank you.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:11 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

Not taking a side, but that sort of phrasing exists in the issue base as recently as #638. Not sure how wide-spread it is.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:14 am

Opinions vary. Editors edit differently. Even individual editors edit differently at different times.

Expect some time in 2018 a CWA big review of player autonomy, slicing through the existing issues and attempting to take out all the lines like the one in 638. We can fight it out at that time. :)

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:15 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Opinions vary. Editors edit differently. Even individual editors edit differently at different times.

Expect some time in 2018 a CWA big review of player autonomy, slicing through the existing issues and attempting to take out all the lines like the one in 638. We can fight it out at that time. :)

Is it weird that my first thought was 'oh god, I've uncovered another CWA project!" :p

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:18 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Opinions vary. Editors edit differently. Even individual editors edit differently at different times.

I will remove the phrase whenever I get to changing this. Things are getting busy again in RL.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm big on player autonomy normally, but issues that assume my politician is actually engaged in politics are the least of my concerns :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:31 am

Trotterdam wrote:I'm big on player autonomy normally, but issues that assume my politician is actually engaged in politics are the least of my concerns :)

Sure, on the scale of player autonomy sins, its more sin-of-onanism than sin-of-mass-murder-and-eyeball-theft

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 am

Nitpicking but this option:

It'd make more sense to refer to a well known Social Darwinist. Anarchists aren't usually known (apart from some strands of Anarcho-capitalism) for promoting a dog-eat-dog world.

If you were to go with an anarchist, it'd make more sense for them to promote community based stockpiling of supplies and suchlike, rather than a government led initiative.
Last edited by Caracasus on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Alright, finished the description and the validity, after deciding to change the premise to @@LEADER@@'s supply.
Before writing the options, I'd like to get CWA's opinion on whether the description interferes too much with player autonomy.

I'd also like to know whether this is a good enough premise for an actual issue.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?