NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] The Prodigal States

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] The Prodigal States

Postby Caracasus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:08 am

Working this into those who chose option 4 for issue #466: @@NAME@@ Is Never Ever Getting Back Together... Like Ever. (Allowing anyone to secede from your nation). I saw someone broadly post something about this a while back and it got me thinking about a potential issue surrounding it. They seemed unwilling to draft anything so I thought I'd give it a go.

Description: After one of the multitude of new states that seceded from @@NAME@@ recently succumbed to an invasion from sixteen mercenaries hired by a Brancaland citizen, numerous representatives from these new states have started reaching out to you to consider the possibility of reconnecting with @@NAME@@.

Validity: Chose option 4 for issue #466

[option]"Oh Violet, it's all gone terribly wrong!" bemoans "King" @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, ruler of the Glorious Eastern United @@ANIMAL@@ Empire (population 12). "I thought it'd be awesome having my own kingdom and everything, but it's actually really hard work! We've got no industry since Dave broke our woodcutting axe and even worse, every damn day I get bugged by idiots who want me to make decisions on everything from foreign policy to whether we should resize our football pitch.... can't they sort this out themselves? I can't stand it! Please just take us back, OK?"
[effect]the nation forgives those who are big enough to admit they made a mistake.

[option]"One little setback and you go running home to mummy" sneers President-for-life @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@ of the Democratic People's Republic of the Allied Western States (population 24) as she signs a series of executive orders. "If you really want to help all of us, then help us stand on our own two feet! I think what we need here is for you to provide a forum to promote more diplomatic links and trade with us smaller nations. It'd help you out, and we'd love to have real toilet paper again. I mean, we did kind of secede, but that doesn't mean we should completely burn all our bridges, does it?"
[effect]a complex arrangement of treaties and trade deals connects the nation to a multitude of semi-autonomous nations on its border

[option]”I told you at the time this was a stupid idea” bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, minister for international affairs. “These idiots are too busy fighting each other or playing at king to even begin thinking about basic infrastructure or even functioning toilets. You could spit across most of these places! Not to mention our agents have reports of some of these places raising potentially hostile armies literally dozens strong! Please @@LEADER@@, before this gets any further out of hand, send in some soldiers, annex these so called nations and stop our country becoming the laughing stock of the world!
[effect]the nation has a reputation for crushing secession with an iron fist

Description: After one of the multitude of new states that seceded from @@NAME@@ recently succumbed to an invasion from sixteen mercenaries hired by a Brancaland citizen, numerous representatives from these new states have started reaching out to you to consider the possibility of reconnecting with @@NAME@@.

[option]"Oh god, it's all gone terribly wrong!" bemoans "King" @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, ruler of the Glorious Eastern United @@ANIMAL@@ Empire (population 43). "I thought it'd be awesome having my own kingdom and everything, but it's actually really hard work! We've got no industry since Dave broke our woodcutting axe, our town hall burnt down because no-one knows how to put out fires and I'm getting sick of eating nothing but cabbage! Even worse, every damn day I get bugged by idiots who want me to make decisions on everything from foreign policy to whether we should resize our football pitch.... can't they sort this out themselves? I can't stand it! Please just take us back, OK?"
[effect]the nation forgives those who are big enough to admit they made a mistake.

[option]"One little setback and you go running back" sneers President-for-life @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@ of the Democratic People's Republic of the Allied Western States (population 324) as she signs a series of executive orders. "My friend here might be having some problems, but we're doing OK at the moment, though we're running a little short on toilet paper... If you really want to help all of us, then help us stand on our own two feet! I think what we need here is for you to provide a forum to promote more diplomatic links and trade with us smaller nations. I mean, we did kind of secede, but that doesn't mean we should completely burn all our bridges, does it?"
[effect]a complex arrangement of treaties and trade deals connects the nation to a multitude of semi-autonomous nations on its border

[option]"Wouldn't we just be back at square one then? Sure we might appear to be independent, but we'd be just as tied into @@NAME@@ as if we'd never left" states @@RANDOMNAME@@, representative of the Anarchist Commune of Northern @@NAME@@ (population 211). "We declared independence to free us from the tyranny of @@NAME@@ after all - er, no offence of course. I've got to say though, my fellow citizens are a little worried about some of our neighbors. A couple of them have massed huge armies of literally dozens of soldiers. Perhaps @@NAME@@ could guarantee us all national sovereignty by stationing soldiers in smaller, defenceless nations to protect us against aggression? It's not like you want a series of bloody wars on your doorstep, do you?"
[effect]half the armed forces are dispatched to protect people who didn't want to be part of the nation anyway

[option]”I told you at the time this was a stupid idea” bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, minister for international affairs. “These idiots are too busy fighting each other or playing at king to even begin thinking about basic infrastructure or functioning toilets. You could spit across most of these places! I've seen houses in @@CAPITAL@@ with bigger gardens! Please @@LEADER@@, before this gets any further out of hand, send in some soldiers, annex these so called nations and stop our country becoming the laughing stock of the world!

Description: After one of the multitude of new states that seceded from @@NAME@@ recently succumbed to an invasion from sixteen mercenaries hired by a Blackacre citizen, numerous representatives from these new states have started reaching out to you to consider the possibility of reconnecting with the @@NAME@@.

[option]"Oh god, it's all gone terribly wrong!" bemoans "King" @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, ruler of the Glorious Eastern United @@ANIMAL@@ Empire (population 43). "I thought it'd be awesome having my own kingdom and everything, but it's actually really hard work! We've got no industry since Dave broke our woodcutting axe, our town hall burnt down because no-one knows how to put out fires and I'm getting sick of eating nothing but cabbage! Even worse, every damn day I get bugged by idiots who want me to decisions on everything from foreign policy to whether we should resize our football pitch.... can't they sort this out themselves? I can't stand it! Please just take us back, OK?"

[option]"Now let's not be too hasty" notes President-for-life @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@ of the Democratic People's Republic of the Allied Western States (population 324) as she signs a series of executive orders. "My friend here might be having some problems, but we're doing OK at the moment. However we might have been a tad hasty cutting off all ties to @@NATION@@. We're running a little short on toilet paper for instance... I think what we need here is for you to promote more diplomatic links and trade with us smaller nations. I mean, we did kind of secede, but that doesn't mean we should completely burn all our bridges, does it? I'm sure we can all work together to come up with mutually beneficial agreements.

[option]"Wouldn't we just be back at square one then?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, representative of the Anarchist Commune of Northern @@NAME@@ (population 211). "We declared independence to free us from the tyranny of @@NATION@@ after all - er, no offence of course. I've got to say though, my fellow citizens are a little worried about some of our neighbours. A couple of them have massed huge armies of literally dozens of soldiers. Perhaps @@NAME@@ could guarantee us all national sovereignty by stationing soldiers in smaller, defenceless nations to protect us against aggression? It's not like you want a series of bloody wars on your doorstep, is it?
[effect]half the armed forces are dispatched to protect people who didn't want to be part of the nation anyway

[option]”I told you at the time this was a stupid idea” bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, minister for international affairs. “These idiots are too busy fighting each other or playing war to even begin thinking about basic infrastructure or functioning toilets. You could spit across most of these so-called countries. Please @@LEADER@@, before this gets any further out of hand, send in some soldiers, annex these so called nations and stop our country becoming the laughing stock of the world!
Last edited by Caracasus on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:21 am, edited 10 times in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Caracasus wrote:After one of the multitude of new states that seceded from @@NAME@@ recently succumbed to an invasion from sixteen mercenaries hired by a Blackacre citizen,
Though Blackacre is the standard antagonist nation, since this is an act of a single citizen I think it would be funnier if it came from a nation that isn't normally hostile to you, like Brancaland or Manamana.

Love the concept otherwise!

Caracasus wrote:numerous representatives from these new states have started reaching out to you to consider the possibility of reconnecting with the @@NAME@@.
Should just be "with @@NAME@@".

Caracasus wrote:We've got no industry since Dave broke our woodcutting axe,
This just keeps getting better!

Caracasus wrote:every damn day I get bugged by idiots who want me to decisions on everything from foreign policy to whether we should resize our football pitch
And this is the best.

Should be "want me to make decisions", though.

Caracasus wrote:[option]"Now let's not be too hasty" notes President-for-life @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@ of the Democratic People's Republic of the Allied Western States (population 324) as she signs a series of executive orders. "My friend here might be having some problems, but we're doing OK at the moment. However we might have been a tad hasty cutting off all ties to @@NATION@@. We're running a little short on toilet paper for instance... I think what we need here is for you to promote more diplomatic links and trade with us smaller nations. I mean, we did kind of secede, but that doesn't mean we should completely burn all our bridges, does it? I'm sure we can all work together to come up with mutually beneficial agreements.
This option isn't as good. The problem is that it doesn't contradict anything in the previous option, where the Glorious Eastern United @@ANIMAL@@ Empire asked you to take them back, not necessarily anyone else (and indeed, the effect line implies that you're not annexing anyone who didn't apologize for seceding).

It would be entirely possible to reabsorb the micronation that wants that and to open trade relations with the micronation that wants that, there's no conflict. The conflict should be about how much the player cares to cater to micronations' wishes, not about different micronations wanting different things (unless they explicitly argue for pushing their own ideas on other micronations in their options).

Side note, you're missing a closing quote in this and future options. (I'll wait until you consider how to address the above criticism before analyzing those.)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:55 pm

I like this issue, but just to clarrify, this applies to small micronations right? Not major territories such as Texas, Quebec and Western Australia, right? Or even places like Kosovo, South Ossetia? Becuase they would be less liekly to have major funny problems like toilet paper shortages (which is, btw, hillarious)
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:39 pm

It's explicitly a followup to #466 option 4, which gives "the country has essentially become @@POPULATION_VALUE@@ million nations with in a nation". If anything, Caracasus is taking artistic license by postulating states with double- and even triple-digit populations!

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:07 am

Thank you all for the feedback! I've re-done option 2 to make it clearer that they're suggesting an alternative to taking back those who want to come back and letting the others fend for themselves. As you said, it's now more about how you choose to approach and deal with micronations on your border. Well noted Trotterdam - I wasn't happy as such with that option but couldn't put my finger on why... this is of course why the drafting process is so important.

I'm glad that you liked the first option. Had a lot of fun writing that one...

And yes, this is littered with references to real-life micronations. The name Dave is taken from the Kingdom of Dave, and the incident that sparked it is taken from a real life incident that occurred in Sealand - where a German citizen who got conned out of money by the prince of Sealand hired a group of mercenaries to capture the kingdom in speedboats whilst they were away on state business. The origonal family then turned up and recaptured the "country". I purposely put the populations in brackets to highlight that these aren't large, established nations.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:03 am

Bump for more feedback

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 am

Any further feedback?

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Great idea, funny writing. If I were to look at this on my editing table, I'd say the first two options are a bit wordy and could use trimming (lot of good stuff though) and I'd seriously consider cutting the third option; it's not as funny the others, and the population brackets and "problems that can occur when nr. 12 from down the block secedes", while very funny initially, don't do well with too much repetition (also, I'd make the numbers smaller), further weakening an already weak and overly convoluted option (raising an army "of literary a dozen" is very funny though). All in all, good draft.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:22 am

Caracasus wrote: After one of the multitude of new states that seceded from @@NAME@@ recently succumbed to an invasion from sixteen mercenaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI

Caracasus wrote: We've got no industry since Dave broke our woodcutting axe

:rofl:

In all honesty though I'm surprised at the triple digit nation populations. If I were you, I'd have put the first option to have a population of around 20, second option around 95-100 and then put all the other ones somewhere in the middle.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:54 am

Thanks guys! Taken the feedback on board and:

1) Removed option 3 and added the "armies literally dozens strong!" to the new option 3 (previously option 4) as I did like the line.

2) Made the first 2 options less wordy.

3) Changed the populations to more truly reflect micronations etc.

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:
Caracasus wrote: After one of the multitude of new states that seceded from @@NAME@@ recently succumbed to an invasion from sixteen mercenaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI

It's a real condition! I understand that two members of the German parliament suffer from it...

Volitopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Volitopia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Very nice issue!
-ENGAGING NITPICKER MODE-

[option]"Oh god, it's all gone terribly wrong!"

"Oh Violet", maybe? And be sure to capitalize names.

every damn day I get bugged by idiots

"And wait 'till you hear about this! Every damn day, from morning to night, even when I'm trying to just take a walk in my backyard , er… exquisite nature preserve, I get bugged by idiots who want me to make decisions on everything from foreign policy to whether we should resize our football pitch!"

Perhaps "The nation forgives the small who are big enough to admit they made a mistake." Just an idea.

"One little setback and you go running home to mummy"

"And they go running home to mummy"

to provide a forum to promote more diplomatic links

"to make us, I don't know, embassies or something to promote more diplomatic links"

It'd help you out

"It'd help you out economically, but please place restrictions on your industries"

@NAME@ threatens to quash its seceding states by flooding their makers with cheaper necessary goods and services

or functioning toilets.

"or even functioning toilets."

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 am

Volitopia wrote:Very nice issue!
-ENGAGING NITPICKER MODE-

[option]"Oh god, it's all gone terribly wrong!"

"Oh Violet", maybe? And be sure to capitalize names.

every damn day I get bugged by idiots

"And wait 'till you hear about this! Every damn day, from morning to night, even when I'm trying to just take a walk in my backyard , er… exquisite nature preserve, I get bugged by idiots who want me to make decisions on everything from foreign policy to whether we should resize our football pitch!"

Perhaps "The nation forgives the small who are big enough to admit they made a mistake." Just an idea.

"One little setback and you go running home to mummy"

"And they go running home to mummy"

to provide a forum to promote more diplomatic links

"to make us, I don't know, embassies or something to promote more diplomatic links"

It'd help you out

"It'd help you out economically, but please place restrictions on your industries"

@NAME@ threatens to quash its seceding states by flooding their makers with cheaper necessary goods and services

or functioning toilets.

"or even functioning toilets."

Thank you. I've made some alterations. Unfortunately I've already had to trim down the word length for options 1 and 2, so I can't see how I can use those, and I didn't want to make option 2's effect so similar to option 3 (only using economic strength instead of military).

Okay. I cannot see any further additions. I will be submitting this soon if there is no further feedback.
Last edited by Caracasus on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:00 pm

This issue is hilarious. Excellent job!

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

Volitopia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Volitopia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Ransium wrote:This issue is hilarious. Excellent job!

Am now in agreement with this statement.

However, if you wish, could you add in one of your advisors suggesting economic takeover in a separate option?

Great job on the original idea and good writing!

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 am

Thanks! Will submit now I think...

Volitopia wrote:

Am now in agreement with this statement.

However, if you wish, could you add in one of your advisors suggesting economic takeover in a separate option?

Great job on the original idea and good writing!

I originally had 4 options... although I'd love to add more, I think that the issue would work better with 3...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:48 am

Good process and good issue. Nice one, mate.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Good process and good issue. Nice one, mate.

Cheers! I really enjoy the editing process to be honest. I'm well aware that my weaknesses lie in being overly wordy and fine-tuning things, so collaborative work is great for me.

Volitopia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Volitopia » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Caracasus wrote:I originally had 4 options... although I'd love to add more, I think that the issue would work better with 3...

Alright then. Cheers onto the editing floor!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:08 pm

This issue has been accepted as Issue #691, also entitled "The Prodigal States". Congratulations, Caracasus!
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Good luck!
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Good luck!

You don't need to wish Caracasus good luck. (T)his issue's already been accepted!
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Congragulation.s! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:48 am

Congratulations!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?