NATION

PASSWORD

Odd result

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Odd result

Postby Alleniana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:20 pm

I selected option 3 in this issue and my authoritarianism went up, from 0.03 to 0.04, which was 33.3%. This is what confused me a lot; shouldn't by letting the press do whatever, my authoritarianism go down? It wasn't much of a rise but no rise makes sense to me.
Thanks.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Alleniana wrote:I selected option 3 in this issue and my authoritarianism went up, from 0.03 to 0.04, which was 33.3%. This is what confused me a lot; shouldn't by letting the press do whatever, my authoritarianism go down? It wasn't much of a rise but no rise makes sense to me.
Thanks.

The issue system is much more complex than you seem to think. Some changes are caused by other changes rather than the direct effects of the issue option. Some are just the net effect of multiple effects on the same stat. 0.01 is literally the smallest change possible, and changes of 0.05 and under are considered negligible and not worth investigating, so I doubt you'll get an answer on exactly what caused it. It's worth noting, though, that the right to privacy is still a right, and abolishing it is an authoritarian position.
Last edited by Phydios on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Phydios wrote:
Alleniana wrote:I selected option 3 in this issue and my authoritarianism went up, from 0.03 to 0.04, which was 33.3%. This is what confused me a lot; shouldn't by letting the press do whatever, my authoritarianism go down? It wasn't much of a rise but no rise makes sense to me.
Thanks.

The issue system is much more complex than you seem to think. Some changes are caused by other changes rather than the direct effects of the issue option. Some are just the net effect of multiple effects on the same stat. 0.01 is literally the smallest change possible, and that changes of 0.05 and under are considered negligible and not worth investigating, so I doubt you'll get an answer on exactly what caused it. It's worth noting, though, that the right to privacy is still a right, and abolishing it is an authoritarian position.

Ah, ok. I was initially drawn to it because 33.3% was such a large figure. That makes sense, thanks.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Here's what happened: Authoritarianism is determined by how many freedoms you infringe upon (basically, if any of your three freedom stats drop, authoritarianism will rise). Answering that issue dropped your civil rights by 2 points, thus raising your authoritarianism a small bit.
See You Space Cowboy...

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Drasnia wrote:Here's what happened: Authoritarianism is determined by how many freedoms you infringe upon (basically, if any of your three freedom stats drop, authoritarianism will rise). Answering that issue dropped your civil rights by 2 points, thus raising your authoritarianism a small bit.

Ah, ok, raises pol, drops civ.

Return to Got Issues?