NATION

PASSWORD

Not Bad, Cod Be Batter (A new nation's first attempt)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kaisaru
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Not Bad, Cod Be Batter (A new nation's first attempt)

Postby Kaisaru » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 am

Eligibility: All Nations (potentially except those with a low tax rate)
[Note: This is intended as my tester to see what things I should change to make a good issue)

Title: Trout Industry - Not too bad, Cod be Batter

Description: The Trout Industry has started to decline significantly in the last two months, with multiple strikes against the high taxes and you have asked your minsters gather a variety of viewpoints

Option 1: "It's obvious what's going wrong!" Yells environmental activist @@randomname@@. "The seas are being overfished and hence the income of fishers is slowly dropping - the taxes are only a scapegoat because of their struggling economies. We need to start stabilising fish levels and create a sustainable ocean. It might cause a few more strikes, but it's the best course of action in the long run!"
Outcome: The Trout industry takes a large hit due to stricter fishing laws
Effort: Eco Friendliness Increases Largely, Charmlessness decreases largely, youth rebelliousness and recreational drug use goes up slightly, Trout Industry decreases signifcantly, Rudeness increases, Pacifism decreases, Public Transport increases, Tourism increases hugely

Option 2: "What nonsense, We know what we want" Protests angry fisherman @@randomname@@, "Lower taxes and let us do our jobs while still making enough to feed our families. Tightening the rules on fishing would just crush the industry entirely!"
Outcome: The end of Trout Industry seems inevitable, with the lowering of taxes seeming not to be enough
Effect: Freedom from Taxation increases, Niceness increases, Pacifism increases, Recreational Drug Use increases, tourism decreases and Trout industry decreases hugely.

Option 3: "That's absurd!" Exclaims your economic minister, @@randomname@@, "There is no need to lower taxes or make fishing regulations stricter. You should give all the fishers a fine and tell them to continue!"
Outcome: Fishers who don't perform exceptionally well are fined.
Effect: Economic Output increases, Average Income Increases, Avg Income of Rich increases, Average income of poor increases, Authotarianism increases, Gambling increases, Trout Industry increases, Basket Weaving increases, Recreation Drug Use increases, Religion decreases, freedom from taxation decreases, pacifism and niceness decrease, Cheese, Retail and Insurance industries all decrease

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 am

It's a great start, well formulated. Unfortunately, it does duplicate somewhat with some other "fishing in trouble" issues, like Bait And Switch.

There's no way for you to know this, of course, save reading the spoiler list every day for fun, which is something only editors and silly people do.

I do like your title though, and your writing has great potential. Don't give up!
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Kaisaru
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaisaru » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:32 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's a great start, well formulated. Unfortunately, it does duplicate somewhat with some other "fishing in trouble" issues, like Bait And Switch.

There's no way for you to know this, of course, save reading the spoiler list every day for fun, which is something only editors and silly people do.

I do like your title though, and your writing has great potential. Don't give up!

Thanks so much for the feedback :)

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's no way for you to know this, of course, save reading the spoiler list every day for fun, which is something only editors and silly people do.

Hey, I take offense to this!

But back to your draft, I pretty much echo what Candlewhisper said. It's a really solid start for a novice to issue writing. A couple things, though, that I might suggest for future drafts is make sure there are no commas in effect lines and make the description a bit more narrative. More story-like descriptions - where they have a story instead of vagueness - makes it both more interesting and compelling, which will help get it accepted into the game a lot quicker.

I hope to see you around :)
See You Space Cowboy...

Return to Got Issues?