NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Update: More Military Men And Their Toys

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] Update: More Military Men And Their Toys

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:17 pm

A landmark budget proposal, which calls for a huge effort to update the military's equipment and weapons, has passed through the legislature to hit your desk. As you pore over whether to sign it or not, you ask the question nobody knows how to answer... what is going to be done with all the obsolete items?

validity: positive arms industry
positive scientific advancement
40 or more economy

[option] "Weeeeeeeeeeeee!" Cries fight pilot @@RANDOMNAME@@, while flying in a brand new jet."This thing is SO much better than my old dirty plane! Violet, I hate that old clunker so much I would pay to watch it being blown up on live TV!"
[effect] "Tank go boom live" is attracting massive ratings

[option] "Fancy flier that is," mutters soldier @@RANDOMNAME@@, wielding an old rusting rifle."But blowing up the old one is a bit of waste of my time. I can't wait for this gun to be replaced, but surely it still has some value? We could just sell it on to whoever wants it, like some poor, helpless nasty dictator who doesn't need the latest greatest stuff?"
[effect] weapons in news report frequently have "Made in @@NAME@@" written on them

[option] "It sure does have value," grins metal worker @@RANDOMNAME@@, barely resisting taking a spanner to the works of a nearby jiip."Ever heard of "swords into ploughshares? Well, think how many of those that rustbucket over there could pull on a nice farm! All of these useless "swords" could make great things for civilians! Think of the possibilities! The rich can sail around in old submarines, video gamers can shout into old radios and you can sit in a chair made from old helmets while thinking how about how great the economy is going!"
[effect] more than half the nation's farmers use ex-military APCs instead of tractors

[option] "Humbug!" Shouts general @@RANDOMNAME@@, while waving a sword."Old weapons still work do they not? Not as great as the new ones for sure, but what does a conscript know! I say we stockpile the old weapons in case of an invasion."
[effect] hundreds of muskets yearn for their hour of need, when they once again will save the country from destruction

[option] "This entire conversation is pointless!" Declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, threatening you with a stone axe."Arms races are relics of the past with no purpose in modern diplomacy! I say you don't sign the bill and show that you are serious about peace!"
[effect] historians frequently steal the still in-use antique military gear
Last edited by Annihilators of Chan Island on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:26 pm

There should be an option to put the equipment in museums. Right now, it's all varying degrees of militarism other than one option.

On a separate note, you should probably change the validity so that the issue's only valid for nations with military.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:30 pm

For option one, how is the man/woman in the plane talking to the leader? Would the leader be in the plane, or is it through radio?
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:30 pm

How do they have new jets if the budget hasn't passed yet?

Some of the dialogue needs work as well. I'm not sure what's meant by "If you just don't sign the bill! That way my taxes are not raised on some silly military ego project." and what "Fancy flier that is," is supposed to be in response to.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote: sword."Old weapons still work do they not? Not as great as the new ones for sure, but what does a conscript know! I say we stockpile the old weapons in case of an invasion."
[effect] hundreds of muskets yearn for their hour of need, when they once again will save the country from destruction

So poetic, so well written. Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't like the wording of the fourth effect, however.

Also, there needs to be a whinging environmentalist bitch'n about how war is so bad for the environment, and how the military should give the littlest back through recycling
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:56 am

Drayxaso wrote:There should be an option to put the equipment in museums. Right now, it's all varying degrees of militarism other than one option.

I agree. The premise of this issue is excellent, but I think the options should all be around different ways to dispose of old arms. I'd make it something like:

1) Destroy them with the new weapons, on LIVE TELEVISION. For entertainment.
2) Sell them to whoever wants them, be it the general public or less advanced nations.
3) Set up military museums, with the weapons rendered unusable.
4) Stop buying new weapons. It's arms races that are obsolete in the modern world.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:07 am

I like the premise. I'm reminded of this charity (and others) http://rawtools.org/ that take the "forging swords into ploughs" literally. Perhaps include an option where people suggest repurposing the old ordinance into useful tools? It'd work nicely as a contrast to the "let's sell them on to some dictator" option.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:1) Destroy them with the new weapons, on LIVE TELEVISION. For entertainment.
2) Sell them to whoever wants them, be it the general public or less advanced nations.
4) Stop buying new weapons. It's arms races that are obsolete in the modern world.

This is a nice selection.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:26 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:There should be an option to put the equipment in museums. Right now, it's all varying degrees of militarism other than one option.

I agree. The premise of this issue is excellent, but I think the options should all be around different ways to dispose of old arms. I'd make it something like:

1) Destroy them with the new weapons, on LIVE TELEVISION. For entertainment.

Some of these are genius. Implementing in particular the first one.

Caracasus wrote:I like the premise. I'm reminded of this charity (and others) http://rawtools.org/ that take the "forging swords into ploughs" literally. Perhaps include an option where people suggest repurposing the old ordinance into useful tools? It'd work nicely as a contrast to the "let's sell them on to some dictator" option.

I remember seeing something like that also happened after a war in Africa (I think it was Dafur) where somebody made chairs out of AK-47s. It's an interesting thought though; could be a sneaky economy option.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Bump

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm

I really like some of the humor of this draft. Good job on that.

Again, there really isn't any option for education/culture-based nations. An option to put the equipment in museums would provide that kind of option, but I'm worried that might add too many options. I'm not sure you really need 2 if you're going to make 3 the economy option.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:21 am

Drayxaso wrote:I really like some of the humor of this draft. Good job on that.

Again, there really isn't any option for education/culture-based nations. An option to put the equipment in museums would provide that kind of option, but I'm worried that might add too many options. I'm not sure you really need 2 if you're going to make 3 the economy option.

It would be a tad many options.

Option 2 I'm not really envisioning as an economy option= more of a diplomatic and economy one.

But if you (or anyone) can put forward a convincing case for it, I'll happily rework the draft to accommodate.

Anything else?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?