NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Area 52 Discovered?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

[SUBMITTED] Area 52 Discovered?

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:26 am

Edits:
1. Replaced the names of people with @@RANDOMNAME@@ and @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ macros
2. Gotten rid of, "Who just so happens to have started this debate"
3. Change the effect line of Option two to, "Tourists often come to the nation to only take a picture of @@NAME@@'s top secret military bases."
4. Merged options 2 and 5
5. Merged options 1 and 3
6. Grammar check it on Grammarly
7. Added the validity of "Valid for nations who have a large military and above average corruption."

I took me a while to think of a possible new issue, and I looked around The Writers’ Block for a while, and I saw an idea about citizens accidentally finding a military base. But I thought that instead of citizens, I though it was going to be tourists taking photos of said base. Before I put it here for you guys to check, I had some of my region mates check it, and they said thought that the idea was pretty good. There was some editing to do, but I think right now the issue is pretty good, but I'll have you guys check it as well.

[title]Area 52 Discovered?

[desc]After recent tourists had discovered a secret government base, they began to take pictures and bring them home. The issue has been brought to your table by the Minister of Privacy and has since been talked about throughout the government until it has finally reached you.

[validity]Valid for nations who have a large military and above average corruption

1. [option]"They did what?!?" shouts Sergeant McWilliams@@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ as he throws his hat to the ground. "How could the security of our bases be so unprotected? I'm in for them taking pictures of our military bases, but we should only allow them to take parts which won't contain anything that could show what's inside or where it is. Who cares if the tourists don't like it, we'll tell them it's for our @@NAME@@ protection."
[effect] People often takes pictures of only the color of the wall due to strict tourist photography laws.

2. [option]"Maybe you’re blowing it a bit out of proportion?" asks Maxtopian tourist Frederick Tarola@@RANDOMNAME@@, as he proceeds to take a photo of you. "All I did was take a picture. And afterward, I was going to only show it to my family, and maybe some friends, and possibly then some strangers. And heck, while you're at it, you could release the information about what's on the military base. It's always been my dream to take a picture of what is in there."
[effect]Tourists often come to the nation to only take a picture of what is inside @@NAME@@'s military bases.

3. [option]"How about you just have heightened security around our bases?" questions Minister of Privacy Robert Shawn@@RANDOMNAME@@. “I mean, we should let the tourists take pictures of @@CAPITAL@@, prized monuments, stuff like that. But we shouldn’t let them take pictures of our military bases. Who knows, they could be spies trying to send the pictures to their own government. It might restrict them from doing what they want to do, but hey, no military leakage!”
[effect]@@CAPITAL@@ and several monuments get overcrowded ever since seeing military bases was banned.

This option was merged with option 1

4. [option]"Not just the military bases, we need to go further!" yells father @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@. “Ban tourists all together! They always clutter up our great nation with flashing lights. And I can hardly get my family to go to anything, such as a theater play based on "The Great @@REGION@@ War, And How @@NAME@@ Was In It" due to all the tickets being sold out to them tourists! May hurt our economy, but at least families all across @@NAME@@ will be happy."
[effect]Tourists are shunned by local airports for "disturbing the peace."

5. [option]”I actually have a better option.” says local @@RANDOMNAME@@. “How about you just release everything that is in the military base? That way, tourists won’t go there as much due to them knowing what it is. Think of it like eating something blindfolded, but someone tells you you already had it before. It ruins the point in going to the place. In fact, you could release whatever is in there to the public as well. Freedom of speech! He is soon grabbed by bodyguards as he tries to lunge at you. “Freedom of speech!!”
[effect]Highly classified information is released to both tourists and the public.
This option was merged with option 2.

Here are the options summed up.
1. A sergeant wants only non-revealing photos to be taken
2. A tourist wants freedom to take whatever part of the military base.
3. The Minister of Privacy wants heighten security around military bases only.
4. A father wants tourists banned altogether.
5. A man wants whatever is in the base to be released to the tourists and the public.
Last edited by Dytarma on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Red Alert 2-Transylvania
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Alert 2-Transylvania » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 am

Some of the options seem familiar and almost similar to other answers, but I think the concept overall is great.
Mods, approve dis!

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:47 am

I just wrote a draft like this, that may have been accepted.
Take a look.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=396192
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am

NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:I just wrote a draft like this, that may have been accepted.
Take a look.

I'm sorry if this sounds a lot like yours, I went searching through the Writers' Block and found an issue involving citizens finding a secret military base. All I did was replace citizens with tourists.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:57 am

Dytarma wrote:
NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:I just wrote a draft like this, that may have been accepted.
Take a look.

I'm sorry if this sounds a lot like yours, I went searching through the Writers' Block and found an issue involving citizens finding a secret military base. All I did was replace citizens with tourists.

Go ahead and continue to develop this. I guess if it turns out better then your issue will replace mine. :(
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 am

NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:
Dytarma wrote:I'm sorry if this sounds a lot like yours, I went searching through the Writers' Block and found an issue involving citizens finding a secret military base. All I did was replace citizens with tourists.

Go ahead and continue to develop this. I guess if it turns out better then your issue will replace mine. :(

Look on the bright side, by your signature, it seems that you've already submitted an issue.
Dytarma's Birthday

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:59 am

Dytarma wrote:
NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:Go ahead and continue to develop this. I guess if it turns out better then your issue will replace mine. :(

Look on the bright side, by your signature, it seems that you've already submitted an issue.

I've had one published and the one I just submitted was the one that is based off of the same concept of this draft.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Dytarma wrote:Look on the bright side, by your signature, it seems that you've already submitted an issue.

I've had one published and the one I just submitted was the one that is based off of the same concept of this draft.

Eh, that's what I meant by you already had one published.
Dytarma's Birthday

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 pm

"If it's just your idea that's been stolen, however, there's not much we can do."
Looks like I can't do anything about it.

Good luck I guess.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:12 pm

NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:"If it's just your idea that's been stolen, however, there's not much we can do."

Good luck I guess.

Thank you! Also, while you're here, what do you think I should fix?
Dytarma's Birthday

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Dytarma wrote:
NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:"If it's just your idea that's been stolen, however, there's not much we can do."

Good luck I guess.

Thank you! Also, while you're here, what do you think I should fix?

You are asking me to fix exactly what is trying to beat me?

There are a couple subject/verb disagreements, run it through a grammar checker. It's also kind of bulky and the options are really broad and similar to each other.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Dytarma wrote:Thank you! Also, while you're here, what do you think I should fix?

You are asking me to fix exactly what is trying to beat me?

There are a couple subject/verb disagreements, run it through a grammar checker. It's also kind of bulky and the options are really broad and similar to each other.

Yeah, it's worth a shot. And I'll try making them more diverse, so to say.
Dytarma's Birthday

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

I don't know why you didn't use the @@RANDOMNAME@@ tags, except in options 4 and 5. Is there a joke I'm not getting here?

Options 1 and 3 could definitely be the same option with minor reworking (which would also make it feel a bit less cluttered), perhaps options 2 and 5 could also be rolled into one neat package. The issue right now feels as though it isn't interesting enough to warrant 5 options, 3 would be more realistic and enables you to add a bit more to each option. Because right now, some of them feel a bit flat.

The cover-up for why the tourists aren't interested in leaving needs to be explained more, I feel.

The effect line for option 2 is unrelated to the military bases issue.

The "who just so happens to have started this debate" is redundant given the description.

There's also a few grammatical mistakes that I won't get into here, just re-read your draft a few more times.
Last edited by Valrifell on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Valrifell wrote:I why you didn't use the @@RANDOMNAME@@ tags, except in options 4 and 5. Is there a joke I'm not getting here?

Options 1 and 3 could definitely be the same option with minor reworking (which would also make it feel a bit less cluttered), perhaps options 2 and 5 could also be rolled into one neat package. The issue right now feels as though it isn't interesting enough to warrant 5 options, 3 would be more realistic and enables you to add a bit more to each option. Because right now, some of them feel a bit flat.

The cover-up for why the tourists aren't interested in leaving needs to be explained more, I feel.

The "who just so happens to have started this debate" is redundant given the description.

There's also a few grammatical mistakes that I won't get into here, just re-read your draft a few more times.

I'm missing the joke too. Explain?

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Valrifell wrote:I why you didn't use the @@RANDOMNAME@@ tags, except in options 4 and 5. Is there a joke I'm not getting here?

I'm missing the joke too. Explain?
Valrifell wrote:I don't know why you didn't use the @@RANDOMNAME@@ tags, except in options 4 and 5. Is there a joke I'm not getting here?

There's not really a joke, I just chose names. I guess I could replace them with @@RANDOMENAME@@ macros
Dytarma's Birthday

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Dytarma wrote:
NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:I'm missing the joke too. Explain?
Valrifell wrote:I don't know why you didn't use the @@RANDOMNAME@@ tags, except in options 4 and 5. Is there a joke I'm not getting here?

There's not really a joke, I just chose names. I guess I could replace them with @@RANDOMENAME@@ macros

You could use things such as Sergeant @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME@@ as well

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Dytarma wrote:There's not really a joke, I just chose names. I guess I could replace them with @@RANDOMENAME@@ macros

Last names are not gendered.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Dytarma wrote:There's not really a joke, I just chose names. I guess I could replace them with @@RANDOMENAME@@ macros

For the last name part, I might make it @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ due to me not being biased that only males can be Sergeants.
Dytarma's Birthday

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Dytarma wrote:I'm sorry if this sounds a lot like yours, I went searching through the Writers' Block and found an issue involving citizens finding a secret military base. All I did was replace citizens with tourists.

Actually, from what CWA was saying, it might replace it anyway. I've only had 3 published issues, but because I'm considered a regular, mine are pushed to the bottom of the list and given last priority, meaning that if in the meantime, a new author comes and has the same idea, they may get publised before you, because, new me, because, new author, and make mine redundant
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:Go ahead and continue to develop this. I guess if it turns out better then your issue will replace mine. :(

Actually, from what CWA was saying, it might replace it anyway. I've only had 3 published issues, but because I'm considered a regular, mine are pushed to the bottom of the list and given last priority, meaning that if in the meantime, a new author comes and has the same idea, they may get publised before you, because, new me, because, new author, and make mine redundant

Wait... am I still a new author?

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:28 pm

So, other than the edits I made, is/are there anything left to fix?
Dytarma's Birthday

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Dytarma wrote:So, other than the edits I made, is/are there anything left to fix?

Woops, I remembered I need to choose a validity. What do you guys think would be good? I'm personally thinking they must have above average corruption.
Dytarma's Birthday

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Actually, from what CWA was saying, it might replace it anyway. I've only had 3 published issues, but because I'm considered a regular, mine are pushed to the bottom of the list and given last priority, meaning that if in the meantime, a new author comes and has the same idea, they may get publised before you, because, new me, because, new author, and make mine redundant

Wait... am I still a new author?

The price you pay for being a "regular"
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:31 am

Australian Republic wrote:

Aussie, please don't put words in my mouth. You've completely paraphrased and misinterpreted my comments. That is not how it works at all.

For the record, Australian Republic is mistaken. This is not how things work.

All accepted issues go into the same pool. We then select the issues we want from the pools.

We do generally make an effort to publish good new authors, in order to encourage them. That's all.

The system that Aussie is describing does not exist.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:15 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Actually, from what CWA was saying, it might replace it anyway. I've only had 3 published issues, but because I'm considered a regular, mine are pushed to the bottom of the list and given last priority, meaning that if in the meantime, a new author comes and has the same idea, they may get publised before you, because, new me, because, new author, and make mine redundant

Aussie, please don't put words in my mouth. You've completely paraphrased and misinterpreted my comments. That is not how it works at all.

For the record, Australian Republic is mistaken. This is not how things work.

All accepted issues go into the same pool. We then select the issues we want from the pools.

We do generally make an effort to publish good new authors, in order to encourage them. That's all.

The system that Aussie is describing does not exist.

Oops. Sorry about the misinterpretation :oops:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?