NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] I know those eyes

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] I know those eyes

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 am

Info: You were having an early morning discussion with the Finance Minister about recent fluctuations in the stock market when an unhinged man rudely interrupted the conversation and challenged you to a duel to the death.

Validity: Only for nations that chose option 1 for #131, and have prisons.

[option] "I am the Count of Mount Crystal, and mighty vengeance is mine!" monologues the mentally unstable hooligan, who seems rather familiar for some reason. "I was given a life sentence for false charges of high treason, and lost my wealth, property, and custody over my children while in prison. However, I managed to escape, and I am here to settle a score. Since you, @@LEADER@@, are the one who created these laws that led to my current state, who better to exact my retribution upon? There are so many words left to say, but let's cut to the chase and spar to defend our honour! En garde!"
[effect] citizens are encouraged to voice their displeasure by fencing with their least favourite politician
[stats] safety drops, political apathy decreases, deaths by murder increase, civil rights increase slightly, crime decreases slightly, weaponisation increases, law and order funding decreases

[option] "Excuse us, 'Count', but we were in the middle of a discussion of national importance!" fumes @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Finance Minister, trying to shoo the miscreant away. "I don't know what @@LEADER@@ has done to you, and I honestly don't care. And besides, I've always thought that conflicts of interest should be settled via legal process rather than two men waving big sticks at one another. We should ban dueling of any sort, return to our riveting discussion, and avoid entertaining this cretin."
[effect] Harry Potter conventions are closely watched by the government for any signs of 'dueling'
[option] civil rights decrease slightly, safety rises, deaths by murder decreases, crime increases slightly, weaponisation decreases, law and order funding increases

[option] "Hey Count! I have an even better idea!" gushes @@RANDOMNAME@@, a relatively young aide, who seems a bit too enthusiastic for something so morbid. "How about you guys fight, but with pistols! You know, like the gunslingers in the days of old. We could cordon off a place in the centre of @@CAPITAL@@, and both of you could duke it out at high noon. In fact, why don't we permanently designate an area there for such conflict resolutions?" The aide starts imitating a cowboy, much to the amusement of everyone present.
[effect] @@CAPITAL@@ is world-renowned for its perpetual gun violence and pockmarked buildings
[stats] unbans guns if guns are banned, death by murder and accident increase, safety drops, crime decreases, weaponisation increases greatly, civil rights increase, law and order funding increases

[option] "How undignified!" reprimands @@RANDOMNAME@@, an economic advisor, tut-tutting at the aide's infantile behaviour. "Why must we insist on solving disagreements through violence? I believe that a good, safe game of chess should suffice to crown a victor. I'm not suggesting that we ban duelling, but an intellectual form could exist as well."
[effect] @@LEADER@@ has lost plenty of international respect after a losing to a lunatic at a simple game of chess
[stats] weaponisation decreases slightly, death by murder decreases slightly, intelligence increases, political apathy decreases

[option only for nations that have banned juries]
[option] "All of you are ignoring the big picture!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a legal consultant, who was lost in thought just a moment ago. "This clearly indicates that our judicial system is in need of a major overhaul. If we allow juries again, judicial oversight would be a thing of the past, and malicious malefactors like him would receive a fair trial and wouldn't be knocking up on your door and threatening you in the hot light of morning."
[effect] citizens frequently duel to decide who gets to go for jury duty
[stats] civil rights increase, weaponisation decreases slightly, law and order funding increases

[option] Several security guards burst forcefully into your office, almost destroying your front door in the process. The 'Count' draws a firearm and ducks behind a pillar. "We are deeply sorry for our failure to protect you, Sir!" apologizes @@RANDOMNAME@@, Head of Security, grabbing your arm and hastily leading you out of the room. "That terrorist wasn't alone. He had several thugs who prevented us from getting to you for some time, and a few of them got away! We must declare a state of emergency until we apprehend all of his criminal accomplices."
[effect] @@NAME@@ is under an indefinite state of emergency as an enormous manhunt is being orchestrated
[stats] political freedom decreases, safety from crime increases, deaths by murder decrease, law and order funding increases

Referential to: The Count of Monte Cristo (Mainly the English Adaption of the musical)
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 17 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:36 am

Singapore no2 wrote:Referential to: The Count of Monte Cristo (Mainly the English Adaption of the musical)

You really don't have to spell these things out. :)

Nice premise, nice issue.

You maybe use "man" too many times, and could use some synonyms. Otherwise, pretty solid.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Referential to: The Count of Monte Cristo (Mainly the English Adaption of the musical)

You really don't have to spell these things out. :)

Nice premise, nice issue.

You maybe use "man" too many times, and could use some synonyms. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Oh man! I guess that I'd have to amend some things, then.

P.S. Should I call him the Count of County Crystal? It sounds rather corny, which is kind of what I'm going for here.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:18 am

I think it needs a Princess Bride reference.
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:43 am

Singapore no2 wrote:Validity: Only for nations that chose option 1 for #131, and have prisons, and banned juries.
This validity is too restrictive. Legalizing duelling is already a pretty wacky choice, demanding anything beyond that would mean not many nations qualify, and would make this less fun as a "followup to allowing duelling" issue. At least having prisons is pretty standard and likely applies to most nations, although I suspect nations that already feature duelling as a method of conflict resolution are more likely than average to not also bother with prisons. Banning juries is the kind of technicality that has too little to do with this subject to be worth restricting an issue like this over.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:59 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Validity: Only for nations that chose option 1 for #131, and have prisons, and banned juries.
This validity is too restrictive. Legalizing duelling is already a pretty wacky choice, demanding anything beyond that would mean not many nations qualify, and would make this less fun as a "followup to allowing duelling" issue. At least having prisons is pretty standard and likely applies to most nations, although I suspect nations that already feature duelling as a method of conflict resolution are more likely than average to not also bother with prisons. Banning juries is the kind of technicality that has too little to do with this subject to be worth restricting an issue like this over.

I have shifted the validity to the option itself.

Canton Empire wrote:I think it needs a Princess Bride reference.

I haven't read that story yet. And I bet that I'd find it difficult to squeeze that in anyway.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Canton Empire
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:This validity is too restrictive. Legalizing duelling is already a pretty wacky choice, demanding anything beyond that would mean not many nations qualify, and would make this less fun as a "followup to allowing duelling" issue. At least having prisons is pretty standard and likely applies to most nations, although I suspect nations that already feature duelling as a method of conflict resolution are more likely than average to not also bother with prisons. Banning juries is the kind of technicality that has too little to do with this subject to be worth restricting an issue like this over.

I have shifted the validity to the option itself.

Canton Empire wrote:I think it needs a Princess Bride reference.

I haven't read that story yet. And I bet that I'd find it difficult to squeeze that in anyway.

It's also a movie. I was just thinking about the Ignio Montoya reference

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 am

Canton Empire wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:I have shifted the validity to the option itself.

It's also a movie. I was just thinking about the Ignio Montoya reference

Oh. That meme.

I admit that it sounds somewhat similar, I'll give you that.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 am

I'd love to see Montoya referenced in some issue entirely unrelated to duelling, Just some random character with the surname Montoya revealing that he is not, in fact, left handed. Maybe some issue about census inaccuracies.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll write that.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:25 am

I like the premise, but the reason for the feud seems a little vague. If as you said it was because he was interupted, that's a bit petty
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Canton Empire
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:26 am

Australian Republic wrote:I like the premise, but the reason for the feud seems a little vague. If as you said it was because he was interupted, that's a bit petty

That's the point.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 am

Australian Republic wrote:I like the premise, but the reason for the feud seems a little vague. If as you said it was because he was interupted, that's a bit petty

The Count of Mount Crystal wanted to duel because he was put in jail due to laws that 'you', the ruler, set.*
You can select the first option and "agree to settling the feud".

However, it's just more likely that he's complete bonkers, and probably requires no explanation for his laughable behaviour.

*That's his beef with you.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Moving on. I like how the title suggetss that it's an issue about a burqa ban
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:39 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Moving on. I like how the title suggetss that it's an issue about a burqa ban

I could reference the prologue of the musical and rename the title "Let Justice Be Done".
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Canton Empire
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:12 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Moving on. I like how the title suggetss that it's an issue about a burqa ban

I could reference the prologue of the musical and rename the title "Let Justice Be Done".

Call it "My Shot" or "Don't Throw Away Your Shot" in reference to Hamilton.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Canton Empire wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:I could reference the prologue of the musical and rename the title "Let Justice Be Done".

Call it "My Shot" or "Don't Throw Away Your Shot" in reference to Hamilton.

But it's not referencing Hamilton.
And it's about swords, not guns.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Canton Empire
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:
Canton Empire wrote:Call it "My Shot" or "Don't Throw Away Your Shot" in reference to Hamilton.

But it's not referencing Hamilton.

The issue should probably be changed to address both forms of dueling. And an option to settle disputes with a game of chess :p

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:29 am

Canton Empire wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:But it's not referencing Hamilton.

The issue should probably be changed to address both forms of dueling. And an option to settle disputes with a game of chess :p

That actually sounds pretty gud.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:48 am

Chess is a bit similar to #246-4: it's the same basic idea, replacing physical activities with "intellectual" pursuits. Not necessarily a problem, I suppose, but variety is the spice of life.

In the final option, the effect line doesn't really follow from the option: why does the reintroduction of jury trials immediately lead to citizens not enjoying being summoned?

With the Monte Cristo references, I wonder if there's a way of working a reference to a Monte Cristo sandwich!

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:13 am

Golgothastan wrote:Chess is a bit similar to #246-4: it's the same basic idea, replacing physical activities with "intellectual" pursuits. Not necessarily a problem, I suppose, but variety is the spice of life.

I could swap the game to make it about draughts/checkers. Though of course, it wouldn't be as highly regarded as chess in some circles.

Golgothastan wrote:In the final option, the effect line doesn't really follow from the option: why does the reintroduction of jury trials immediately lead to citizens not enjoying being summoned?

Citizens didn't need to turn up in a dusty courtroom listening to a boring case for several consecutive hours before the option was selected, so that would make them just a tad upset.

But of course, I can appreciate the fact that some people actually enjoy turning up to decide the fate of a defendant, but I am assuming here that most people wouldn't find it a good use of their time, and find it frustrating.

Golgothastan wrote:With the Monte Cristo references, I wonder if there's a way of working a reference to a Monte Cristo sandwich!

Woah. This exists?! Cool!

Aside from that, I'm not sure that I can add that in without breaking the already convoluted narrative of my issue.

Though of course, I could add it in as some form of 'merchandising' in the once-in-a-lifetime Count v Leader duel of the decade. I'll probably ask for other's opinions before implementing that change, though.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:19 am

Singapore no2 wrote:But of course, I can appreciate the fact that some people actually enjoy turning up to decide the fate of a defendant, but I am assuming here that most people wouldn't find it a good use of their time, and find it frustrating.

I'm mainly thinking about one of the existing issues on juries, 410, where option 3, to retain juries, implies the citizens like jury service. Of course issues don't have to be internally consistent, I'd just like to see more of a link between the option text and the effect line.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:20 am

Golgothastan wrote:I'd just like to see more of a link between the option text and the effect line.

How about "citizens frequently duel over who gets to go for jury duty"?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Bump
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Don't use the expression "Wild West"

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:33 pm

A bit disappointed here that there's no option where a bodyguard or 6 jump on top of the madman and apologies for letting the incident happen.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?