NATION

PASSWORD

Civil rights

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Populi-Terrae
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Civil rights

Postby Populi-Terrae » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:11 am

Can someone please tell me how a practice as socially awkward, embarrassing and negative as nudity is considered a civil right? Apparently, someone booted me down to Average for not allowing nudity in public.
We are a free and democratic nation. Right now, we're MT. But we're getting close to becoming PMT.

The animal on our flag is a lion, not a dog.

You may use NS stats. (except for the income tax and income equality)

Terraen Radio Broadcasting: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=407688&hilit=terraen (Sign ups-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=407818&sid=38747f80d1c4bbd3b93653970f69e0a7)

If you want to RP with me or judge my nation, just telegram me.
Terraen News Network:Police take custody of infant of teenage parents soon after birth|Scientists announce ethanol-free alcohol|President Hayo opens doors to Supreme Authority refugees|Historian criticized after 'Revolutionaries murdered children and mothers' comment

North Isseggggnignigsegigisegggg Islands
Envoy

Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby North Isseggggnignigsegigisegggg Islands » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:34 am

I agree that public nudity is bad and not really a civil right. However, from a gameplay perspective, the game considers civil rights to be ANYTHING that the populace is allowed to do. By not allowing public nudity, you have forbidden the populace from doing something, so the game considers this an attack on your country's civil rights. It's ridiculous!

Dingbats
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dingbats » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:07 am

Just out of curiosity, could you guys explain what's so negative and bad about it?

Populi-Terrae
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Populi-Terrae » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:43 am

Would you like it if you saw someone's crotch out in public or their breasts and that person says 'I can do whatever I want. It's the law'?

Keep in mind, there was a option for my nation to make this thing compulsory. In most nations, walking around naked carries hefty penalties and if a child saw you, you can arrested for exposure to a child, which can get you on a sex offenders' registry.
We are a free and democratic nation. Right now, we're MT. But we're getting close to becoming PMT.

The animal on our flag is a lion, not a dog.

You may use NS stats. (except for the income tax and income equality)

Terraen Radio Broadcasting: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=407688&hilit=terraen (Sign ups-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=407818&sid=38747f80d1c4bbd3b93653970f69e0a7)

If you want to RP with me or judge my nation, just telegram me.
Terraen News Network:Police take custody of infant of teenage parents soon after birth|Scientists announce ethanol-free alcohol|President Hayo opens doors to Supreme Authority refugees|Historian criticized after 'Revolutionaries murdered children and mothers' comment

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:51 am

Populi-Terrae wrote:Can someone please tell me how a practice as socially awkward, embarrassing and negative as nudity is considered a civil right? Apparently, someone booted me down to Average for not allowing nudity in public.

I see civil rights in NS as personal freedoms, freedoms that are not related to business and politics, and such practices as nudity are a part of them. Also, restricting duels decreases them too. That's why there are such levels as "Excessive" or "Frightening". And "Average" level is not actually bad.
Last edited by Skyhooked on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

Arcoscephale
Lobbyist

Founded: May 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcoscephale » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:50 am

Populi-Terrae wrote:Can someone please tell me how a practice as socially awkward, embarrassing and negative as nudity is considered a civil right?

Because it's neither awkward nor embarrassing, and it's not innately negative either: it's just a learned social taboo. Over in central Europe, most folks don't bat an eye at bare breasts. Everyone's seen those.

Being forced to wear clothes is, obviously, a restriction on civil rights.
Last edited by Arcoscephale on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troperia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Troperia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:05 am

In simpler terms, civil rights is basically the freedom to do things, at least in NS. Not allowing nudity means, restricting the freedom to go around in the nude. Just like how restricting drug usage and gun ownership also decreases civil rights.

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Allowing public nudity actually is a civil right due to it relating to the freedom of self expression. That could include anything from what religion they are to what they want to wear.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Dingbats
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dingbats » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:19 am

Populi-Terrae wrote:Would you like it if you saw someone's crotch out in public or their breasts and that person says 'I can do whatever I want. It's the law'?

Keep in mind, there was a option for my nation to make this thing compulsory. In most nations, walking around naked carries hefty penalties and if a child saw you, you can arrested for exposure to a child, which can get you on a sex offenders' registry.
My personal enjoyment would depend greatly on the person in question. That said, my personal feelings are not really relevant here, and neither are yours. It's a question of restricting someone in their full-time being and self-expression in order to protect your fragile little mind from seeing the occasional 'bad' crotch or 'evil' boobie for a few minutes. In order words, Nude Mike, who you don't even know, has to wear pants all day, just because of the off chance you might run into him on the street and see his grotesque little ding-dong. You understand what I'm driving at friend?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:23 am

:eyebrow:
Meh. You humans wouldn't have this problem if you still grew decent coats of fur...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:25 am

Bears Armed wrote::eyebrow:
Meh. You humans wouldn't have this problem if you still grew decent coats of fur...

Unfortunately, we human nations only get a choice of encouraging or banning coats'o'fur in Issue #145...
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Confederate Farmers
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 29, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Confederate Farmers » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:55 pm

[quote="North Isseggggnignigsegigisegggg Islands";p="30540156"]I agree that public nudity is bad and not really a civil right. However, from a gameplay perspective, the game considers civil rights to be ANYTHING that the populace is allowed to do. By not allowing public nudity, you have forbidden the populace from doing something, so the game considers this an attack on your country's civil rights. It's ridiculous!

well technically forbidding the populace to strip down for all to see is a civil right as well as next to anything would e a widely abused civil right. civil rights are a a means to a end . what I thought was crazier is I legalized polygamy,same sex and marriage when I gave a hoot about so called civil rights and my health went up lol. apparently they never heard of a ole std . nation-states its kinda stupid and im right now destroying all civil rights to earn a banner

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?