NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Plumbum Problems

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Plumbum Problems

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Title: Plumbum Problems

Discussion:
Little @@CAPITAL@@, a city located in the midwestern region of the country, recently decided against renewing their water contract from the Provincial Government and went with getting water from the neighboring river instead. At first things seemed to be going perfectly- jobs were created, the water seemed fine, and citizens were happier- until the populous noticed that the water started to taste weird. After chemical analysis showed that the water was 40% lead, the city has been placed under emergency management until the situation handles itself out.

Validity: nations with low environmental beauty

Debate:

[option]"This lead contamination has resulted in the death of 10 children and another 77 seeking treatment, and thousands more were exposed." points out @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Head of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Emergency Response Team, while showing you pictures of those affected by the lead poisoning. "We must shut down all of the water that flows into the city and supply everyone with bottles of clean drinking water until we find out how the problem occurred and is fixed. It may cost a boatload of @@CURRENCY@@s, but the safety of our citizens is of dire importance here."
[effect]water costs fifty @@CURRENCY@@s a bottle during times of crisis

[option]"That is not going to answer the problem at hand." explains your Minister of Water and Septic Management. "That river that is pumping water into the city has been tested by my team and the results are shocking. They show that not only is the water 40% lead, but it is also 50% human excrement, turned up an ancient burial ground underneath the bank, and has a pH of 2. That water is the very definition of toxic! The best thing to do would be making the city renew their water contract with the provincial government and shut down the pipeline from the river. Maybe then water quality would be better."
[effect]cities wanting to get water from rivers have to first go through rigorous safety concerns

[option]"It's all your fault, @@LEADER@@!" screams the Mayor of Little @@CAPITAL@@. "The public sector has failed us for the last time. If water was privatized, then none of this would have happened in the first place. The private sector knows best when it comes to handling matters of necessities, so only they should handle these sort of things. I may be a politician, but I'm a business person first. Down with government, up with businesses. Give me water, or give me death!'
[effect]the private sector controls all of the water in @@NAME@@

[option]"That's exactly what you would say you thief!" demands @@RANDOMNAME@@ while pointing at the mayor. "You're just blaming others to avoid the fact that this whole thing is all your fault in the first place. It was you who rejected renewing the contract, and it was you who suggested the river as our water source, and now you are blaming others who had nothing to do with the problem! You should be impeached, have all of your assets seized for repatriations to the city, and then you should be locked up in prison and rot there until the day you die!"
[effect]politicians get incarcerated without parole just for having a parking ticket

[option]"I don't see what everyone's problem is." questions @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ while drinking brown water. "A little plumbum never killed anyone of importance before. This whole issue is just an over exaggeration. The people should just forget about it and go on with their daily lives." He takes another drink. "Ah. Nothing better than a little esophageal scrapping in the morning."
[effect]drinking mud has been labelled healthier than the drinking water
Last edited by Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Arridian Islands
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arridian Islands » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:06 pm

"99% lead" That wouldnt be possible to even mistake for water, and drinking a fair amount of that would kill you. Also, I'm no metal expert, but I'm pretty sure lead has to be extremely hot to melt.
If you want to contact me on my views or anything else, telegram me or add me on skype, my username is akyrathewolf.
I have 0 active alts now. RIP
My personal views:
Pro: nationalism, social democracy, environmentalism, freedom, gun rights, LGBT rights, language preservation/ language revival, Native American interests, atheism

Anti: Any extremism, Islam, feminism, SJWs, violent protesters, racial supremacy, laissez-faire, Democrats and Republicans (USA), BLM, interventionism

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Arridian Islands wrote:"99% lead" That wouldnt be possible to even mistake for water, and drinking a fair amount of that would kill you. Also, I'm no metal expert, but I'm pretty sure lead has to be extremely hot to melt.

Changed to the same percentage as the real world issue this is based off of. Also, lead in water is possible and isn't exactly super hot.

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:14 pm

• There should be a new validity: A national faith must be in place. Little A Major Religion is not the catchiest of place names.
  • Speaking of validities, there should be something about the Public Healthcare rating in there.
  • Maybe "Lead Like @@A/An ANIMAL@@ To The Slaughter" would be a better title? Isaiah 53:7.
  • I was going to ask about how the water could be both 99% lead and 50% human excrement, but the lead percentage being changed to 40% has sorted out that issue.
  • "Provincial Capital" might be better off becoming "Provincial Government".
  • "It's all your fault @@LEADER@@!" should become "It's all your fault, @@LEADER@@!". Notice the comma.
  • "over exaggeration" should become "overexaggeration" or "over-exaggeration".
  • Otherwise, it's pretty good.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:13 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
  • There should be a new validity: A national faith must be in place. Little A Major Religion is not the catchiest of place names.
  • Speaking of validities, there should be something about the Public Healthcare rating in there.
  • Maybe "Lead Like @@A/An ANIMAL@@ To The Slaughter" would be a better title? Isaiah 53:7.
  • I was going to ask about how the water could be both 99% lead and 50% human excrement, but the lead percentage being changed to 40% has sorted out that issue.
  • "Provincial Capital" might be better off becoming "Provincial Government".
  • "It's all your fault @@LEADER@@!" should become "It's all your fault, @@LEADER@@!". Notice the comma.
  • "over exaggeration" should become "overexaggeration" or "over-exaggeration".
  • Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Changed what I could. Couldn't find the over exaggeration part, but will keep looking (I tend to miss the most obvious stuff). The title stays the same since plumbum is the name of lead on the periodic table (yes, that's what Pb stands for). Thanks for the feedback though! Anyone else have any comments?

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Ochea
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ochea » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:23 pm

I think you should add an option that blames the mayor of the city and puts them in jail and/or fires them from their job. You have one that blames the leader, but the mayor who allowed this to happen in their city is not blamed.

If I was a national leader, I would blame the mayor instead of letting the blame fall on me.
——|★|—— World Assembly Delegate of Nesapo ——|★|——
International News: Pres. Storm continues trade embargo against Corumon | Corumon's economy continues to fail as the country tries to become communist
"People in power want to stay in power. People in control want to maintain control." - President Ryan Storm

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Added another option.

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:39 pm

I like the title. Keep it.
See You Space Cowboy...

Striagro Uspil
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 04, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Striagro Uspil » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Small typo: Effect of the fourth option has two "the"s
Tutto è possibile, Entro inostri limiti
In Italian it means
Anything is possible, within our limitations
Or at least i hope that's what it means since these days you can't trust google translate. For all I know I could be saying "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" PS: If you get that reference then you are very cultured.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Striagro Uspil wrote:Small typo: Effect of the fourth option has two "the"s

Fixed

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Troperia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Troperia » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:41 pm

Option 1: I'm pretty sure that @@CURRENCY@@ only shows up in plural form so no need to put an 's' at the back.

Option 5: Is there a reason why the person must be male? You can always use gender-neutral terms.
Last edited by Troperia on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Troperia wrote:Option 1: I'm pretty sure that @@CURRENCY@@ only shows up in plural form so no need to put an 's' at the back.

Option 5: Is there a reason why the person must be male? You can always use gender-neutral terms.

@@CURRENCY@@ shows up singular unless you specify plurality. He is male because if you read the ending, it clearly says He takes another sip.

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Troperia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Troperia » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:54 pm

You can use the singular 'they'

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:01 pm

How did the lead end up in the river? Is it being dumped by a polluting factory upstream? Were the local city engineers who built the new system incompetent enough to use lead pipes? Does the river flow past a vein of natural lead ore?

Also, water that's literally 40% lead wouldn't be water, it would be lead that's slightly wet. You wouldn't be able to drink it because it would be a solid.

Similarly, why did the city decide to separate from the national water supply? Specifically:
Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:Validity: nations with low environmental beauty and low public healthcare
Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:[option]"It's all your fault, @@LEADER@@!" screams the Mayor of Little @@CAPITAL@@. "The public sector has failed us for the last time. If water was privatized, then none of this would have happened in the first place. The private sector knows best when it comes to handling matters of necessities, so only they should handle these sort of things. Down with government, up with businesses. Give me water, or give me death!'
[option]admissions into playgrounds have reached an all time high
The facts don't add up. If part of the validity is "low (national) public healthcare", then I would expect this to get blamed, and a "this is all the national government's fault" option should be asking to raise public healthcare (presumably by building better water treatment plants - does sanitation count as healthcare?). The very "low public healthcare" clause in your validity implies that the government is already leaving matters to the private sector, so it doesn't make any sense for someone to complain that you should start doing that. The mayor was the only one getting the government involved to begin with.

Also, what do playgrounds have to do with anything?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
How did the lead end up in the river? Is it being dumped by a polluting factory upstream? Were the local city engineers who built the new system incompetent enough to use lead pipes? Does the river flow past a vein of natural lead ore?

Also, water that's literally 40% lead wouldn't be water, it would be lead that's slightly wet. You wouldn't be able to drink it because it would be a solid.

Similarly, why did the city decide to separate from the national water supply? Specifically:
Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:Validity: nations with low environmental beauty and low public healthcare
Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:[option]"It's all your fault, @@LEADER@@!" screams the Mayor of Little @@CAPITAL@@. "The public sector has failed us for the last time. If water was privatized, then none of this would have happened in the first place. The private sector knows best when it comes to handling matters of necessities, so only they should handle these sort of things. Down with government, up with businesses. Give me water, or give me death!'
[option]admissions into playgrounds have reached an all time high
The facts don't add up. If part of the validity is "low (national) public healthcare", then I would expect this to get blamed, and a "this is all the national government's fault" option should be asking to raise public healthcare (presumably by building better water treatment plants - does sanitation count as healthcare?). The very "low public healthcare" clause in your validity implies that the government is already leaving matters to the private sector, so it doesn't make any sense for someone to complain that you should start doing that. The mayor was the only one getting the government involved to begin with.

Also, what do playgrounds have to do with anything?

Look up the Flint water crisis. This issue relates to it directly. It does need some change, which will be addressed, but that will come tomorrow.

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:04 am

The effect for Option 4 could be "Politicians regularly get jailed over small mistakes".
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:13 pm

I like this issue quite a bit. A few minor quibbles.
Discussion 'At first everything went good' you can't use good as an adverb, how about 'At first things seemed to be going splendidly'

'water was cleaner' but it actually wasn't, so how about 'the water seemed fine'

'placing in quarantine' why did you include this? Was Flint placed in quarantine. Since lead poisoning is non-contagious it seems like an odd thing to write. Maybe citizens were told to immediately stop drink water or something.

Option 1 'and the number of those exposed in in the thousands' a bit clunky how about 'and thousands more exposed'

Option 2 'accomplish the problem at hand' seems a bit awkward to me, why not 'solve the problem at hand'

'The best thing to do would be making the city renew their contract from before and get their water from them once more.' also a bit clunky IMO how about ''The best thing to do would be making the city renew their water contract with the provincial government'

Option 3 Others haven't commented on this so, I might just be dense but I don't get the reference/joke in the effect (note: it is currently coded as option not effect)

Option 4 I've written a new suggested option 4 rejiggering the latter half of it a bit take what you like "You're just trying to blame others to avoid the fact that this problem is because of you in the first place. It was you who rejected renewing the contract, and it was you who suggested the river as our water source! You should be fired, all your assets seized for repatriation, and then you should be locked in jail until the day you die"

Also I really hate your current effect. It's to specific to this issue. How about something like "no wants to be mayor in cities in @@name@@ for fear of slipping up" although I recall an effect like this in another issue maybe? Not sure...

Option 4 "What's all of your problem? questions @@RANDOMMALENAME@@" is awkward how about '"I don't see what everyone's problem is." states @@RANOMMALENAME@@'

Also, I think it would be funnier if you added in 'a littleesophageal scrapping"

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:20 pm

updated draft is up.

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.