NATION

PASSWORD

National animal as the favorite main course?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Dunraven
Secretary

Founded: Jun 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

National animal as the favorite main course?

Postby Dunraven » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:25 am

I recently found out that option two of issue 612 (choosing to feed dead pets to the homeless) causes everyone to start eating the national animal. Which seems like a quite a stretch to me. The option made it sound like it'd limited to dead pets, and I wouldn't expect most people to find that palatable if they have alternative food sources.

Regardless, is there any way to remove that from the nation overview, or am I stuck with it?
Last edited by Dunraven on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:34 am

There's seven options in the game that take off the eats-national-animal flag and seven that turn it on.
Amongst the latter seven, there's some dubious activations, and I'll do a review on this.#
612 is one where the flag makes sense: the animal becoming a favourite dish is just NS style humorous exaggeration. I guess what happened is that people started asking what that tasty smell coming out of the homeless shelters was, and suddenly everyone wanted a steak!

The flag has no real consequences except that line appearing on your front page.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Dunraven
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dunraven » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:41 am

I don't suppose you're allowed to say which seven options unflag it?

...I suspect that this nation doesn't qualify for any of them. We're too low tech for #123 (Now, Vat's For Thought), and no issues related to vegetarianism have showed up yet. We're probably too anti-environmentalist for those.
Last edited by Dunraven on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:47 am

Dunraven wrote:I don't suppose you're allowed to say which seven options unflag it?

...I suspect that this nation doesn't qualify for any of them. We're too low tech for #123 (Now, Vat's For Thought), and no issues related to vegetarianism have showed up yet. We're probably too anti-environmentalist for those.

I can't, but I will tell you that you've got validity access to all the vegetarian issues, and that enacting vegetarianism will of course clear that flag.

The Great Underground Empire
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Underground Empire » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:04 pm

I can at least confirm that issue 169 (@@ANIMAL@@ Hunting Laws Under Dispute) doesn't do it. Evidently we keep eating the national animal even if we're not allowed to kill them. Not sure how that works.

Which is a shame. I have many puppet nations that need to fix that. Especially the puppets that gave the animals citizenship in issue 502; eating your own citizens is just plain weird. But the vegetarian issues hardly ever pop up, and are getting rarer and rarer because of the new issues. So there's usually no way to fix it.

As for this nation? I need to fix it because grues eat people. Not the other way around.
So if anyone happens to know which issues besides the vegetarian ones undo that, please let us know.
Last edited by The Great Underground Empire on Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:35 am

The Great Underground Empire wrote:I can at least confirm that issue 169 (@@ANIMAL@@ Hunting Laws Under Dispute) doesn't do it. Evidently we keep eating the national animal even if we're not allowed to kill them. Not sure how that works.

Believe it or not, it is possible to kill an animal without first hunting it. Its called "farming", though its a fairly recent invention. Just wait till you see this round thing with a hole in the middle. Its the next big thing!

Which is a shame. I have many puppet nations that need to fix that. Especially the puppets that gave the animals citizenship in issue 502; eating your own citizens is just plain weird.

I can confirm that making your animals citizens already removes the "eats @@Animal@@" flag. It doesn't stop you subsequently deciding to eat said citizens, but then there are also issues that let you decide to eat human citizens.

But the vegetarian issues hardly ever pop up, and are getting rarer and rarer because of the new issues. So there's usually no way to fix it.

Not the case. They're not flagged to occur less than other issues. Some have validity criteria, but not especially strict ones.

As for this nation? I need to fix it because grues eat people. Not the other way around.

Well, if its dark, how do people know that said adventurers got eaten by a grue? They just disappeared when they went in that cave, that's all we know.

So if anyone happens to know which issues besides the vegetarian ones undo that, please let us know.

Shan't. :p
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dunraven
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dunraven » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Finally managed to undo it with issue 350 (Queasy Cuisine), option 6. ...forcing everyone to eat pasta takes the national animal off the menu.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:48 am

Heh, I love the mental image of that...

"Lord Featherstone, they keep eating our ravens! They won't stop, no matter what we do!"
"Right that's it, make everyone eat PASTA and nothing but PASTA."

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?