NATION

PASSWORD

Issues Contest: The Fourth Awakens

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:05 am

Kentalia wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:I'm not really on the issue editing team, but letting a friend submit an issue that we can all tell that you wrote probably won't win him any points when it comes to being selected as an Issue Editor. The whole point of this contest is to see how submitting individuals handle the setup, organization, etc., of an issue. When he submits something that you already wrote ... what does that show the IE team about his abilities in this area?

Ah ok, I thought it was just a matter of handling rights as it is his content and he can use it, being able to lend it to NS for use as an issue.

Thanks for clearing this up.

I mean, if the authoring player wants to let the other one submit it as an issue, I don't see any problems with it - especially if, as he claims, they co-authored it and he publicly posts to allow his friend to submit it. However, given the circumstances, I don't think it's likely to be successful as a submission for the contest.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Kentalia wrote:Ah ok, I thought it was just a matter of handling rights as it is his content and he can use it, being able to lend it to NS for use as an issue.

Thanks for clearing this up.

I mean, if the authoring player wants to let the other one submit it as an issue, I don't see any problems with it - especially if, as he claims, they co-authored it and he publicly posts to allow his friend to submit it. However, given the circumstances, I don't think it's likely to be successful as a submission for the contest.

You could argue that collaboration could produce a better issue...
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:21 pm

NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:I mean, if the authoring player wants to let the other one submit it as an issue, I don't see any problems with it - especially if, as he claims, they co-authored it and he publicly posts to allow his friend to submit it. However, given the circumstances, I don't think it's likely to be successful as a submission for the contest.

You could argue that collaboration could produce a better issue...

We are trying to determine an individual's ability to write and edit. We work as a team behind the scenes, but the main editor of any given issue is still the driving force behind its progress.

I'd prefer no co-authors for contests.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:You could argue that collaboration could produce a better issue...

We are trying to determine an individual's ability to write and edit. We work as a team behind the scenes, but the main editor of any given issue is still the driving force behind its progress.

I'd prefer no co-authors for contests.

Makes sense.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Cyborgs and Sentient Machines
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Kentalia wrote:As long as you agree that he has rights to claim that it is his issue, then he can submit it here.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I'm not really on the issue editing team, but letting a friend submit an issue that we can all tell that you wrote probably won't win him any points when it comes to being selected as an Issue Editor. The whole point of this contest is to see how submitting individuals handle the setup, organization, etc., of an issue. When he submits something that you already wrote ... what does that show the IE team about his abilities in this area?

Why do you think he didn't contribute?
Do you require me to post the discord screen caps showing the entire development?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:33 pm

Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:I'm not really on the issue editing team, but letting a friend submit an issue that we can all tell that you wrote probably won't win him any points when it comes to being selected as an Issue Editor. The whole point of this contest is to see how submitting individuals handle the setup, organization, etc., of an issue. When he submits something that you already wrote ... what does that show the IE team about his abilities in this area?

Why do you think he didn't contribute?
Do you require me to post the discord screen caps showing the entire development?

Even if he did contribute, that doesn't solve the problem. We still don't know what he's capable of writing without your help. It's a poor indication of his ability to be an editor.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:21 am

Continuing this discussion is pointless. If the issue isn't authored solely by you, do not submit it to the Contest. If you try, you'll get caught out, and you'll ruin any chance you had of becoming an Editor, likely permanently.

Feel free to submit your issue, but not as a Contest one.

Discussion over.

Cyborgs and Sentient Machines
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:38 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Cyborgs And Sentient Machines wrote:Why do you think he didn't contribute?

Even if he did contribute, that doesn't solve the problem. We still don't know what he's capable of writing without your help. It's a poor indication of his ability to be an editor.

Sedgistan wrote:Continuing this discussion is pointless. If the issue isn't authored solely by you, do not submit it to the Contest. If you try, you'll get caught out, and you'll ruin any chance you had of becoming an Editor, likely permanently.

Feel free to submit your issue, but not as a Contest one.

Discussion over.
OK, the this conversation is terminated, but I will leave a link showing the entire development history, so you can know what was happening.

If I missed the part about only allowing issues authored by one person, I apologise, and if it wasn't there, it might be good to put it there next time so no one repeats my mistake.

https://imgur.com/a/x1npx
Last edited by Cyborgs and Sentient Machines on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Quick question, when the contest submission deadline passes, will their be finalists announced and if so will the winners of the contest be announced among the finalists or do the finalists have to do something else? Like submit a 2nd issue

Kentalia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kentalia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:50 pm

Socio polor wrote:Quick question, when the contest submission deadline passes, will their be finalists announced and if so will the winners of the contest be announced among the finalists or do the finalists have to do something else? Like submit a 2nd issue

As I recall from previous contests, the finalists are announced, then the team decide who they want on the team, then the winners are announced.

However, it could have changed.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Kentalia wrote:
Socio polor wrote:Quick question, when the contest submission deadline passes, will their be finalists announced and if so will the winners of the contest be announced among the finalists or do the finalists have to do something else? Like submit a 2nd issue

As I recall from previous contests, the finalists are announced, then the team decide who they want on the team, then the winners are announced.

The 1st Issues Contest didn't really had finalists, they had contestants send in their issue submissions then Sirocco gave advice and stuff to the contestant and if they showed potential, they would become a editor and if not they would be declined or if they were unsure they would have the contestant send in a 2nd issue submission and if that was good the person would be able to become a editor

Edit: The previous/3rd issues contest also didn't have finalists. The 3rd issue contest was unique because sedge actually allowed contestants to do a little practice at editing issues by email under his guidance and if it worked out they'd be able to become editors
Last edited by Socio Polor on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kentalia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kentalia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Socio polor wrote:
Kentalia wrote:As I recall from previous contests, the finalists are announced, then the team decide who they want on the team, then the winners are announced.

The 1st Issues Contest didn't really had finalists, they had contestants send in their issue submissions then Sirocco gave advice and stuff to the contestant and if they showed potential, they would become a editor and if not they would be declined or if they were unsure they would have the contestant send in a 2nd issue submission and if that was good the person would be able to become a editor

Edit: The previous/3rd issues contest also didn't have finalists. The 3rd issue contest was unique because sedge actually allowed contestants to do a little practice at editing issues by email under his guidance and if it worked out they'd be able to become editors

I swear, I was looking at one of the previous threads the other day, can't remember which one though. The issue contests have been so spread apart I can't remember a thing, plus I left before the last one happened.

Oh well.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Kentalia wrote:
Socio polor wrote:The 1st Issues Contest didn't really had finalists, they had contestants send in their issue submissions then Sirocco gave advice and stuff to the contestant and if they showed potential, they would become a editor and if not they would be declined or if they were unsure they would have the contestant send in a 2nd issue submission and if that was good the person would be able to become a editor

I swear, I was looking at one of the previous threads the other day, can't remember which one though. The issue contests have been so spread apart I can't remember a thing, plus I left before the last one happened.

Oh well.

That's understandable, I'm just curious especially considering I'm entering the contest.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
NoahS SeconD CountrY wrote:Will this be based on anything besides the issue submitted?
(previous issue history, warnings or bans, etc.)

Luna or myself do check moderation history before Editors are invited on board, but it's never been a problem yet.

Does this mean having a record doesn't affect your chances of becoming a editor?

Kentalia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kentalia » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Socio polor wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Luna or myself do check moderation history before Editors are invited on board, but it's never been a problem yet.

Does this mean having a record doesn't affect your chances of becoming a editor?

If it's a major thing then they may take that into account, but I'd assume the odd newbie mistake would be ok.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Kentalia wrote:
Socio polor wrote:Does this mean having a record doesn't affect your chances of becoming a editor?

If it's a major thing then they may take that into account, but I'd assume the odd newbie mistake would be ok.

Well Sugar honey Ice Tea, hope my record isn't too bad, it shouldn't be considering I was new at the time and for other reasons I'd rather no mention here

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Kentalia wrote:
Socio polor wrote:Does this mean having a record doesn't affect your chances of becoming a editor?

Considering people with a warning or two for minor offenses can be mods, I think they can also be editors. Just not if you're getting warned or banned every day.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Kentalia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kentalia » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:13 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Kentalia wrote:If it's a major thing then they may take that into account, but I'd assume the odd newbie mistake would be ok.

Considering people with a warning or two for minor offenses can be mods, I think they can also be editors. Just not if you're getting warned or banned every day.

Do you know if they're taking into account activity in issue submissions and the Got Issues forum (On top of the submitted issue)?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:09 am

Kentalia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Do you know if they're taking into account activity in issue submissions and the Got Issues forum (On top of the submitted issue)?

It's not they, it's us. Hiya.

I can't speak for every individual, but the things I look for are:

1) Is this a good issue?
2) Would this person make a good editor?

The former part is the same question as deciding whether an issue would be added to the yes-pool normally, but to be in line to winning the contest, the bar is set a little higher. To get into the yes-pool you only need to have enough good stuff there that the issue is potentially usable, even if we're a heavy edit, multiple cuts and a few additions away from doing so. Most stuff that is decent makes the yes-pool. To make the potential winners shortlist, however, the quality of issue writing has to show an understanding of how NS issues work, of how to strike a sense of balance and humour, and so on. In other words, it needs to be the sort of issue where any changes to it would reflect stylistic choices rather than absolute improvements.

The latter part is because the prize is to be an editor, and there's no point giving that prize to someone if we need to tell them a week later that they can't be an editor any more. Some things that I usually wouldn't care at all about in an issue submission are being looked for, namely:
1) The ability to spell, punctuate and form sentences in good English.
2) A sense of overall issue shape, length and pace.
3) The ability to accept criticism, but also to take leadership and retain editorial sovereignty.
4) The ability to get it at least almost-right on the first pass edit / draft, but also the ability to retain a sense of the overall issue while incorporating later suggestions.
5) Is it someone who I can work with? In other words, if I've made it clear I don't like you, then don't expect me to support you winning the contest. That may not be fair, but that's real life.

The submitted contest issue is the core around which these judgements are made. If you have great command of the English language normally, but lapse into nonsense for the contest issue, then you'll be judged as a Lord of Nonsense. The corollary, of course, is that if your usual stuff is a bit sloppy, but your contest issue is great, then the assumption will be that you can rise to the occasion when it matters.

Most importantly here, I don't care what your moderation record is, whether you're from antiquity or an absolute newbie, whether you're a proven issues author or completely unknown to us. We will let the contest issues speak for you.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Kentalia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kentalia » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Kentalia wrote:Do you know if they're taking into account activity in issue submissions and the Got Issues forum (On top of the submitted issue)?

It's not they, it's us. Hiya.

I can't speak for every individual, but the things I look for are:

1) Is this a good issue?
2) Would this person make a good editor?

The former part is the same question as deciding whether an issue would be added to the yes-pool normally, but to be in line to winning the contest, the bar is set a little higher. To get into the yes-pool you only need to have enough good stuff there that the issue is potentially usable, even if we're a heavy edit, multiple cuts and a few additions away from doing so. Most stuff that is decent makes the yes-pool. To make the potential winners shortlist, however, the quality of issue writing has to show an understanding of how NS issues work, of how to strike a sense of balance and humour, and so on. In other words, it needs to be the sort of issue where any changes to it would reflect stylistic choices rather than absolute improvements.

The latter part is because the prize is to be an editor, and there's no point giving that prize to someone if we need to tell them a week later that they can't be an editor any more. Some things that I usually wouldn't care at all about in an issue submission are being looked for, namely:
1) The ability to spell, punctuate and form sentences in good English.
2) A sense of overall issue shape, length and pace.
3) The ability to accept criticism, but also to take leadership and retain editorial sovereignty.
4) The ability to get it at least almost-right on the first pass edit / draft, but also the ability to retain a sense of the overall issue while incorporating later suggestions.
5) Is it someone who I can work with? In other words, if I've made it clear I don't like you, then don't expect me to support you winning the contest. That may not be fair, but that's real life.

The submitted contest issue is the core around which these judgements are made. If you have great command of the English language normally, but lapse into nonsense for the contest issue, then you'll be judged as a Lord of Nonsense. The corollary, of course, is that if your usual stuff is a bit sloppy, but your contest issue is great, then the assumption will be that you can rise to the occasion when it matters.

Most importantly here, I don't care what your moderation record is, whether you're from antiquity or an absolute newbie, whether you're a proven issues author or completely unknown to us. We will let the contest issues speak for you.

Thanks for the information, and I hope that will answer further questions people may have. By the way, sorry for calling you they, I was referring to the team of Issue Editors as a body, and talking to USS Monitor as a Forum Mod (I.E Not a part of the issue editing team).

Thanks again, and my apologies.
Last edited by Kentalia on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:00 pm

Kentalia wrote:Thanks for the information, and I hope that will answer further questions people may have. By the way, sorry for calling you they, I was referring to the team of Issue Editors as a body, and talking to USS Monitor as a Forum Mod (I.E Not a part of the issue editing team).

Candle might not realize that as a forum mod I have no access to Issues Control.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:03 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Kentalia wrote:Thanks for the information, and I hope that will answer further questions people may have. By the way, sorry for calling you they, I was referring to the team of Issue Editors as a body, and talking to USS Monitor as a Forum Mod (I.E Not a part of the issue editing team).

Candle might not realize that as a forum mod I have no access to Issues Control.

Well of course not! It's only accessible by dirigible.

More seriously, record and age comes more into play with me now than it would have 5 years ago. Now, IEs have access to much of the backend of issues, specifically the stats themselves and the potential ability to add/modify existing issues. Chronic rulebreaking would be a red flag. Being a brand new or extremely young nation would also raise a red flag for me, because we don't have a lot of data to go on.

Communism, as always, would raise the biggest red flag.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Just as a reminder, still waiting for this to be answered by either a mod or editor

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:22 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Well of course not! It's only accessible by dirigible.

More seriously, record and age comes more into play with me now than it would have 5 years ago. Now, IEs have access to much of the backend of issues, specifically the stats themselves and the potential ability to add/modify existing issues. Chronic rulebreaking would be a red flag. Being a brand new or extremely young nation would also raise a red flag for me, because we don't have a lot of data to go on.

Yes, Communism does that. :lol:

Kentalia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kentalia » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:25 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Well of course not! It's only accessible by dirigible.

Yes, Communism does that. :lol:

Did I just witness these moderator robots emmit humor? Oh my, technology has come far.

In all seriousness, thanks for the help people, and for not being robots with no sense of emotion :hug:.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?