NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] How To Examine Your Testees

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED] How To Examine Your Testees

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:20 am

Current

Title:

How To Examine Your Testees

Validity:

Education spending > 0

Description:

At the Head Teachers and Policy Leader's International Conference of Education (affectionately referred to Head-LICE by its attendees) a presentation by the Education Director from Dàguó has the delegates abuzz with discussions on the value of standardised testing...

Options:

[option]"In Dàguó, standardised tests assess student performance throughout education," says Dàguó Education Director Hoo Yu Hia, reading off his PowerPoint slide, word-for-word. "Results are published publicly and centiles streaming students appropriately. This gives accurate comparison, identifies the best students for industry and teaches how to compete in a free-market. Next slide, please. This is the foundation of economic success, and also why Dàguó children are so much better at maths and science than the lazy and undisciplined children of your nation. Adopt the Dàguó system. Any questions?"
[effect]4-year-olds studying for their Maths Exam are anxious that they will be unemployable in adulthood if they fail
[stats]smarter kids, better for industries, less happiness / compassion / rudeness / youth crime

[option]"Constant testing teaches children only how to pass tests," argues Antti Markkanen, a progressive head teacher from Skandilund with a tendency to gesticulate wildly as he speaks in snappy catch-phrases. "Obsession with competition only makes children equate success with dominance. Focus on a love of learning, rather than memorizing facts. Use carrot and stick methods, and you just get an ass. Train children to be competitors, and they stop caring who loses out in society. But start a lifelong journey towards wisdom, and every step is a celebration. In my country, children WANT to go to school."
[effect]school children asked 'what is two times two?' are likely to form a Symposium to discuss how different answers make them feel
[stats]smarter kids, worse for industries, more happiness / compassion / culture.

[option]"So on the one hand we got rote-learning clones, and on the other, commie brainwashing," spits Brancalandian Jonnie Wain, interrupting his poker game to literally and metaphorically put his cards on the table. "In Brancaland we got a saying: 'Hey Guvmint! Butt out!'. To school or not to school, that is a question for parents to choose. Better a school be a business that has to suffer the slings and arrows of an open market, with NO cost to the taxpayer. Exams? Bah! I didn't need no exams when I was raised on my uncle's farm, I just learnt how to herd steers from the back of a horse. That's real life education! What's wrong with that?"
[effect]illiterate and innumerate 10-year-old kids often know how to build and drive cars
[stats]less book-smartness, remove education spending, increased freedoms, increase to hands on industries, decrease to others,

[option]"Couldn't we a bit more moderate, try and take the best of all three options?" wonders your Education Minister, trying to escape from the trio of foreign educators closing in on him. "Maybe there's a @@DEMONYM@@ way, with exam assessment just at the end of school years, and not a national test, but a choice of examination boards competing on the free market. And maybe you could have some state schools, and some private schools, and some home schooling. Basically, lets just try to choose the best bits of every option, and avoid any of the downsides. Universal non-standardized exams. A mandatory optional curriculum. A regulatory framework ensuring free choice. That sounds good, doesn't it? Maybe? Possibly?"
[effect]employers are never quite sure if school-leaver's qualifications have any merit or meaning
[stats]education spending increases, no other effects

Original
Title:

Making The Grades

Validity:

Education spending > 0

Description:

At the Head Teachers and Policy Leader's International Conference of Education (affectionately referred to Head-LICE by its attendees) a presentation by the Education Director from Dàguó has the delegates abuzz with discussions on the value of standardised testing...

Options:

[option]"In Dàguó, standardised tests assess student performance throughout education," says Dàguó Education Director Hoo Hi Lo, reading off his powerpoint slide, word-for-word. "Results are published publicly and centiles streaming students appropriately. This gives accurate comparison, identifies the best students for industry and teaches how to compete in a free-market. Next slide, please. This is the foundation of economic success, and also why Dàguó children are so much better at maths and science than the lazy and undisciplined children of other nations. Adopt the Dàguó system. Any questions?"
[effect]by the age of seven and a half 93% of children can calculate 93% of 7.5 without a calculator
OR
[effect]children who fail their Age 4 standardised mathematics exam have almost no chance of a high paying job un adulthood
[stats]smarter kids, better for industries, less happiness / compassion / rudeness / youth crime

[option]"Constant testing teaches children only how to pass tests," argues Antti Markkanen, a progressive head teacher from Skandilund. "Obsession with competition only makes children equate success with dominance. Isn't it better to focus on a love of learning, rather than standardised knowledge? Trust children, and they will seek erudition without sticks and carrots. Education is a lifelong journey towards wisdom and happiness. In my country, children WANT to go to school."
[effect]school timetables are just loose suggestions
OR
[effect]school children asked 'what is two times two?' are likely to form an Ideas Salon to discuss the possible pros and cons of different answers
[stats]smarter kids, worse for industries, more happiness / compassion / culture.

[option]"So on the one hand we got rote-learning clones, and on the other, commie propaganda," spits Brancalandian Jonnie Wain, interrupting his poker game to literally and metaphorically put his cards on the table. "In Brancaland we got a saying: 'Hey Guvmint! Butt out!'. School or not school is the choice of the parents, and school should be a business that has to sell its services on an open market with NO cost to the taxpayer. Exams? Bah! I didn't need no exams when I was raised on my uncle's farm, I just learnt how to herd steers from the back of a horse. That's real life education! What's wrong with that?"
[effect]illiterate and innumerate 10-year-old kids often know how to build and drive cars
[stats]less book-smartness, remove education spending, increased freedoms, increase to hands on industries, decrease to others,

Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:49 am, edited 16 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:01 am

It's nice to see you using Daguo! :P

After a brief scan, I'd think it would be funny if you managed to incorporate a character who was like an Asian parent stereotype - y'know constantly pushing their children.
See You Space Cowboy...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Thinking on humour on the commute drive... Will update shortly.

Ok, done.

The ambitious parent is a fun stereotype, but I'd need to change the issue's narrative to fit him/her in. I quite like the PowerPoint presenter.
Will definitely bookmark that character for a future issue though.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:28 am

[effect]school children asked 'what is two times two?' are likely to form an Ideas Salon to discuss how different answers make them feel

I honestly was not sure what "Ideas Salon" was meant to represent, even in context, until a third read-through. I get that it's probably meant to be intentionally obfuscating, as a humorous element, but 'salon' is a really weird word to use here.

I'm not a huge fan of this form of humour, personally, so I just might not 'get it'. But it's pretty well established in the NS corpus. That being said, "Ideas Workshop" would keep the same connotation of over-formalism while also being more readable imo. Even "Focus Group" might work better.

Googling it, I suspect you wanted the more antiquated connotation of a meeting of intellectuals - problem being that doing so just makes me think of the more common connotation, which is a barbershop, because I've at best seen the antiquated connotation twice or thrice. In that case, I'd have gone with something for which the antiquated connotation is the only definition. For instance, an "Emotions Caucus", or an "Ideas Symposium".
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Fair enough, replaced it with Symposium.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Wait, what has option 2 gotta with commie propoganda and feelings? The option does not clearly lead to those solutions. You psrhaps need to make it clearer
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:09 am

Is "Skandilund" supposed to be the NS-version of a Scandinavian country? Standardized testing is actually a big thing in the nordic countries these days, but I like the idea of it not being that within the NS-universe :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:23 am

Yeah, pretty much. Scandinavian nations all mashed together, though its Finland's approach to education I'm taking here.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:23 am

Australian Republic wrote:Wait, what has option 2 gotta with commie propoganda and feelings? The option does not clearly lead to those solutions. You psrhaps need to make it clearer

Fair point. Will do.

[option]"Constant testing teaches children only how to pass tests," argues Antti Markkanen, a progressive head teacher from Skandilund with a tendency to gesticulate wildly as he speaks in snappy catch-phrases. "Obsession with competition only makes children equate success with dominance. Focus on a love of learning, rather than memorizing facts. Use carrot and stick methods, and you just get a donkey. Train children to be capitalists, and it is society that suffers. Start a lifelong journey towards wisdom, and every step is a celebration. In my country, children WANT to go to school."
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:16 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Wait, what has option 2 gotta with commie propoganda and feelings? The option does not clearly lead to those solutions. You psrhaps need to make it clearer

Fair point. Will do.

[option]"Constant testing teaches children only how to pass tests," argues Antti Markkanen, a progressive head teacher from Skandilund with a tendency to gesticulate wildly as he speaks in snappy catch-phrases. "Obsession with competition only makes children equate success with dominance. Focus on a love of learning, rather than memorizing facts. Use carrot and stick methods, and you just get a donkey. Train children to be capitalists, and it is society that suffers. Start a lifelong journey towards wisdom, and every step is a celebration. In my country, children WANT to go to school."

You might want to emphasis the link between feelings and this system of education
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:39 am

Option 2-"The kids will have a better relationship with language and maths if we assosiate positives emotions with them. For example, we can teach them that if the answer is 2, they get a carrot, if the answer is 5, we can allow them to read a line from their favourite book...

Stua Dolistimmus
Civilian

Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Stua Dolistimmus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:43 am

Your title is wrong, I believe it's spelled "testes."

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:47 am

Australian Republic wrote:Option 2-"The kids will have a better relationship with language and maths if we assosiate positives emotions with them. For example, we can teach them that if the answer is 2, they get a carrot, if the answer is 5, we can allow them to read a line from their favourite book...

No, what I'm describing in #2 is the Finnish system, which has no standardised testing (well, till end of school, but we're exaggerating for NS) and emphasises the idea of every child's growth being facilitated rather than directed. Part of this is a much lower obsession with the importance of "core subjects" for every student. As alien as it may sound to people from countries with national curricula, there's not seen as anything wrong with neglecting mathematics entirely to focus on, say, guitar-playing.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:48 am

Stua Dolistimmus wrote:Your title is wrong, I believe it's spelled "testes."

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:40 am

I got it.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Finlarvat
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Finlarvat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 am

Here are the three models we have so far:
  1. The Dàguó model (emphasis on Asian-style standardised tests from an early age - the capitalist option)
  2. The Skandilund model (emphasis on lifelong learning - the communist option)
  3. The Brancaland model (emphasis on practical skills; against both of the above models - the libertarian/anti-government option)
Have you considered adding a "status-quo" option (the @@NATION@@ model, anybody)? None of the above three models seem moderate at all, especially when looking at the options in conjunction with the effects.
AllAboutFinlarvat.fv | FINLARVATIAN ELECTION SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY
"NationStates is a marathon, not a sprint." Nobody has finished, but 188,000 people (inc. 35,000 newbies) are still running.

FBS.fv (FBS Online) Headlines (manned by Christian Entver; as of 6th May 2017, our Foreign Politics Editor is still in unintentional exile in Jankau-Helmutsberg): | BREAKING (20:15 FST, 5 October): President Mattia Hokkinen exiled in City of Tinhampton | OUT-OF-CHARACTER: Finlarvat to stop role-play; will cease to exist immediately | TERRITORY CLAIMS: Finland claim former Finlarvatian territory as their own | REPUBLICAN DEMOCRATS: UPDATES SUSPENDED

Finlarvat Day: 7th August. Next elections: CANCELLED. Timezone: FST (GMT+01:30).
Manned by... Nobody. Well, we have been nuked!

New nation: Tinhampton

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:50 am

Finlarvat wrote:Here are the three models we have so far:
  1. The Dàguó model (emphasis on Asian-style standardised tests from an early age - the capitalist option)
  3. The Brancaland model (emphasis on practical skills; against both of the above models - the libertarian/anti-government option)
Have you considered adding a "status-quo" option (the @@NATION@@ model, anybody)? None of the above three models seem moderate at all, especially when looking at the options in conjunction with the effects.

As always, maintain the status quo is "dismiss".

I'm open minded to a moderate option that actively adopts a position, though.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:21 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Finlarvat wrote:Here are the three models we have so far:

As always, maintain the status quo is "dismiss".

I'm open minded to a moderate option that actively adopts a position, though.

I think those three are fine, but if you want a moderate option, you could go with something like the International Baccalaureate - a moderate model, with some standardized testing but also lots of room for customization, except the entire curriculum is handled by a non-profit based in a different country. The @@REGION@@ model, in other words. The modern IB has lots of leeway for different providers, but that leeway exists within a structure based on the European bureaucracy, so it's been criticized as culturally imperialist - even in countries where it's used, it's usually viewed as being an option for extremely gifted students, being too costly and irrelevant for the general public.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:31 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:I think those three are fine, but if you want a moderate option, you could go with something like the International Baccalaureate - a moderate model, with some standardized testing but also lots of room for customization, except the entire curriculum is handled by a non-profit based in a different country. The @@REGION@@ model, in other words. The modern IB has lots of leeway for different providers, but that leeway exists within a structure based on the European bureaucracy, so it's been criticized as culturally imperialist - even in countries where it's used, it's usually viewed as being an option for extremely gifted students, being too costly and irrelevant for the general public.

Sounds like an excellent base for a funny option.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:54 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"Use carrot and stick methods, and you just get a donkey."
And what's wrong with donkeys? >:(

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:00 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"Use carrot and stick methods, and you just get a donkey."
And what's wrong with donkeys? >:(

I think a better way to phrase that would be "Use carrot and stick methods, and you just get an ass."

I mean, you're playing off of testes/testees already, so a bit more bodily humor would be great. :P
See You Space Cowboy...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Drasnia wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:And what's wrong with donkeys? >:(

I think a better way to phrase that would be "Use carrot and stick methods, and you just get an ass."

I mean, you're playing off of testes/testees already, so a bit more bodily humor would be great. :P

Brilliant! Added your ass.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Added a moderate option, hopefully adding some humour and a direction of its own rather than just being an easy option:

[option]"Couldn't we a bit more moderate, try and take the best of all three options?" wonders your Education Minister, trying to escape from the trio of foreign educators closing in on him. "Maybe there's a @@DEMONYM@@ way, with exam assessment just at the end of school years, and not a national test, but a choice of examination boards competing on the free market. And maybe you could have some state schools, and some private schools, and some home schooling. Basically, lets just try to choose the best bits of every option, and avoid any of the downsides. Universal non-standardized exams. A mandatory optional curriculum. A regulatory framework ensuring free choice. That sounds good, doesn't it? Maybe? Possibly?"
[effect]employers are never quite sure if school-leaver's qualifications have any merit or meaning
[stats]education spending increases, no other effects

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:51 pm

I'm surprised at the characterization of Brancaland as libertarian, although we know so little about it so far that it's hard to say this is wrong. Still, a nation that's most-known for multilingualism raising illiterate children?

Drasnia wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:And what's wrong with donkeys? >:(
I believe the same question applies.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:48 am

As you say, we don't know much about Brancaland. We know that they're probably multilingual, and they've been described as culturally rich. We know that emigrants from @@NAME@@ can live there. We know that their ambassador got drunk here.

For my own part, I see Brancaland as "democratic western nation which doesn't regulate much". I see it as something like the USA, but even more laissez-faire in its capitalism.

This isn't something set in stone, of course: Brancalands identity emerges as we write it.

Re: asses/donkeys, maybe its best if I change it to "ponies". I mean, nobody likes ponies. :p
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?