NATION

PASSWORD

Dismissal Denied #568

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Enslaved Humans
Civil Servant

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Enslaved Humans » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Unless you can present an argument we haven't considered, we're unlikely to change our position.

Because it would be polite and respectful to the users of the site to not be forced into such a predicament?

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:19 pm

I really like the idea of the dismissal button being a veto power. It's a fun little retcon, and it really gives you a new perspective on dismissing issues. The help page's explanation of dismissing issues said it was just ignoring the issue until it stopped being debated, which really didn't seem that possible with a lot of these issues.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:53 am

I'm stuck with leaving it in the list, unanswered, because this nation's [unusual] constitutional set-up means that none of the answers is appropriate: Petitions can't legally go directly to the national leader or any other part of the national government, they have to go to the government of one or another of the 'Confederated Clans (and other Confederated Bodys)' -- which can then decide whether to have its representatives in the High Council submit a potential law on the matter -- instead...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Enslaved Humans
Civil Servant

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Enslaved Humans » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:35 pm

So I'm not the only refusing to answer, and being forced to keep the issue in the queue.

What happens when that issue stacks to five in the queue?

Our nations die due to lack of action?

And that's fair?

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Enslaved Humans wrote:So I'm not the only refusing to answer, and being forced to keep the issue in the queue.

And that's fair?

The thing with this issue, no matter if you like it or not, is that since it has to be answered, I'm pretty sure all the options have generally small effects, especially the last. If you want to get rid of it, answer with the paper shredder. That shouldn't do much at all.
See You Space Cowboy...

The Peoples of Xaer
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Peoples of Xaer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Enslaved Humans wrote:So I'm not the only refusing to answer, and being forced to keep the issue in the queue.

And that's fair?

Can you even GET the same issue in your pending issues stack multiple times? I don't think I've ever seen that happen, and I frequently let my issues pile up.

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:59 pm

The Peoples of Xaer wrote:

And that's fair?

Can you even GET the same issue in your pending issues stack multiple times? I don't think I've ever seen that happen, and I frequently let my issues pile up.

No you can't.
See You Space Cowboy...

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:00 pm

The Peoples of Xaer wrote:

And that's fair?

It has never happened to me, and I don't think it should happen.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Peoples of Xaer
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Peoples of Xaer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Drasnia wrote:
The Peoples of Xaer wrote:Can you even GET the same issue in your pending issues stack multiple times? I don't think I've ever seen that happen, and I frequently let my issues pile up.

No you can't.

So we can just ignore Enslaved's hyperbole, good to know.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Drasnia wrote:
The Peoples of Xaer wrote:Can you even GET the same issue in your pending issues stack multiple times? I don't think I've ever seen that happen, and I frequently let my issues pile up.

No you can't.

Correct.

I did figure out a way to do it with the GM tools, but that's obviously not going to happen.

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Drasnia wrote:No you can't.

Correct.

I did figure out a way to do it with the GM tools, but that's obviously not going to happen.

Dastardly! Remind me not to get on your bad side ;)
See You Space Cowboy...

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Drasnia wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Correct.

Dastardly! Remind me not to get on your bad side ;)

*assigns 1000 copies of Dismissal Denied to Drasnia*

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Drasnia wrote:Dastardly! Remind me not to get on your bad side ;)

*assigns 1000 copies of Dismissal Denied to Drasnia*

I take it back! I take all of it back! Just get them off of me - the weight is oppressing me!
See You Space Cowboy...

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:27 am

Flanderlion wrote:
Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:This is a new issue, so please be sure to add that to the spoiler thread.

I'm surprised that there are no options to allow the petitions go around willy-nilly. Or at least codify them as referendums. That's what I'd do.

Loving the shredder option though. :D

Shredder option is beautiful. I'm going to hate the issue itself for another week (causes autodismissing thing to glitch out), but the issue itself is good. Was more surprised about the inability to dismiss and the dismiss sort of option changing political apathy.

Been much longer than a week. Still loathe it, cool concept, but it is the only issue that forces me to login to 40 nations, so whenever I see the issue name I instantly have bad thoughts.

Even outside of my personal experience with it, it's still not exactly perfect. The issue itself should stay ingame, interesting issue, cool concept triggering when someone dismisses so many issues etc. Just the stats should be tweaked so there is an option that has zero impact on your stats (or two - just remove the apathy changes).
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Djornaruz
Civil Servant

Founded: May 10, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Djornaruz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:35 pm

It's been a couple of months, hopefully not a case of Thread Necrophilia...

I just got this issue. It's cute and I'm inclined to play along, I just need to know that it's not going to affect Civil Rights. It seems it shouldn't, but then I've compiled a list of issue results over the last year or so, of which about half a dozen seem to have nothing to do with CR but still affect (mostly lower) them in unpredictable, absurd, and sometimes even internally inconsistent ways.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:59 am

Djornaruz wrote:It's been a couple of months, hopefully not a case of Thread Necrophilia...

I just got this issue. It's cute and I'm inclined to play along, I just need to know that it's not going to affect Civil Rights. It seems it shouldn't, but then I've compiled a list of issue results over the last year or so, of which about half a dozen seem to have nothing to do with CR but still affect (mostly lower) them in unpredictable, absurd, and sometimes even internally inconsistent ways.

Hmmm. The game engine is imperfect, and once I'm done with my current review of policy flags I intend to revisit civil rights movements. However, a lot of the apparent absurdities can be explained by this:

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=can ... /id=743343
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?