NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] A Pillar for Society

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] A Pillar for Society

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:11 am

Hello, again! :D

I decided to take a break from trying to make a proper issue that made pesco-vegetarian nations from existing...
mostly because... well, I sort of failed at making a decent one, and I admit that I did kind of try focusing on only getting that one done.
I might return to it in the future, but for now I'm going to see about moving on.

Now, I know I said I'd read the 500 issues are so, which I will eventually(I got about 100 done),
but... well, I really wanted to get this one out in the open first. :P

So, I apologize in advance if an issue like this already exists.
Again, feel free to criticize this as you please, tell me how it should be changed,
and... uh, let me know if it's duplicated or has too many options.

Name: A Pillar for Society
Desc: Several architects have been thinking of building a rather large form of art to represent @@NAME@@, and have come to you for permission to build one.
Validity: art is not banned.

[option]"We'd like to build something to represent our great nation, @@LEADER@@." says architect @@RANDOMNAME@@. "All of the great nations have one! Think about. The Leaning Tower of Linguine in Bigger Bootland. The Statue of Limitations of the Commonwealth of Murina! The Iris Tower! We can't go on with a nation without having some sort of building to represent it - and bring tourists in! We'll need loads of funding so we can make it as large and super tall as possible!"
[effect]billions in @@CURRENCY@@ are spent making a single work of art.
[stats]culture increases, tourism increases, economy increases slightly, weather decreases slightly, charmlessness decreases, political apathy decreases slightly

[option]"Excuse me." says a politician, Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, who happened to walk into the room. "What kind of logic is that? If all of the other nations went to nuclear war with one another, would we do the same thing? Don't answer that. Look, I agree we could use some representation, but it doesn't have to cost the nation billions of @@CURRENCY@@ to build just so it can topple over. We'll have a nice, simple work of art to represent the nation worldwide.
[effect]the @@NAME@@ @@ANIMALINITIALS@@ Rock represents the nation.
[stats]political apathy increases

[option]"Bah!" Yells the person washing your walls. "Who needs art? You sleep, you eat, you work. You don't make something useless to represent the nation. WE represent the nation. The people. That should be enough." The politician who walked in earlier claps. "Great speach. Mind if I use that?"
[effect]the nation has @@POPULATION@@ iconic figures.
[stats]political integrity increases, compassion increases, political freedom increases slightly, happiness increases slightly, niceness increases slightly, political apathy decreases slightly, rudeness decreases

[option]"WAIT!" yells one of the architects, @@RANDOMMALENAME@@. "Why are we all discussing what we build up? Why not build downwards?!" He begins to get excited. "Yes, yes, yes! We'll make @@NAME@@ rich with the materials we dig up! We'll make millions off of tourism! We'll have a national icon! It'll just be underground. It's win-win-win! YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!" He grabs your shirt shortly before a tranquilizer dart is fired from out of nowhere.
[effect]the nation is referenced by a large hole in the planet.
[stats]culture increases, tourism increases, economy increases, mining increases slightly, employment increases slightly, weather decreases slightly, environmental beauty decreases slightly

[option]The next morning, you're still thinking about the decision when your brother walks in, during your breakfast. "Hey, kid. You know, you're already kind of the nation's representative. Why not marvel it by hanging mandatory pictures of yourself in every public building? Think about it! Then everyone would always marvel at the true representative of the nation, that who keeps this place going. Maybe people also won't rob anything with you looking right at them." He then slowly rubs his hands together.
[effect]@@LEADER@@'s face is hung up in every public building.
[stats]corruption increases, business subsidization increases slightly, economy increases slightly, happiness decreases slightly, political apathy decreases slightly, political freedom decreases, integrity decreases

Desc: Several architects have been thinking of building a rather large form of art to represent @@NAME@@, having seen several WhoTube videos referencing other nations through iconic figures - and noticing @@NAME@@ had no representation whatsoever. They have finally mustered up the courage and legal work to come to you and ask for your permission to build one.
Validity: art is not banned, nation is rich/advanced enough to pull this off.

[option]"We'd like to build something to represent our great nation, @@LEADER@@." says architect @@RANDOMNAME@@. "All of the great nations have one! Think about. The Leaning Tower of Linguine in Bigger Bootland. The Statue of Limitations of the Commonwealth of Murina! The Iris Tower! We can't go on with a nation without having some sort of building to represent it - and bring tourists in! We'll need loads of funding so we can make it as large and super tall as possible!"
[effect]Billions in @@CURRENCY@@ are spent making a single work of art.
[stats]tourism increases, economy increases slightly, culture increases slightly, weather decreases slightly, charmlessness decreases, political apathy decreases slightly

[option]"Excuse me." says your Minister of Finance, Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, who happened to walk into the room. "What kind of logic is that? If all of the other nations went to nuclear war with one another, would we do the same thing? Don't answer that. Look, I agree we could use some representation, but it doesn't have to cost the nation billions of @@CURRENCY@@ to build just so it can topple over. We'll have a nice, simple work of art to represent the nation worldwide.
[effect]the @@NAME@@ @@ANIMALINITIALS@@ Rock represents the nation in WhoTube videos.

[option]"Bah!" Yells the person washing your walls. "Who needs art? You sleep, you eat, you work. You don't make something useless to represent the nation. WE represent the nation. The people. That should be enough." The Minister of Finance who walked in earlier claps and asked if he could use this as a speech.
[stats]political integrity increases, compassion increases, political freedom increases slightly, happiness increases slightly, niceness increases slightly, political apathy decreases slightly, rudeness decreases

[option]"WAIT!" yells one of the architects, @@RANDOMMALENAME@@. "Why are we all discussing what we build up? Why not build downwards?!" He begins to get excited. "Yes, yes, yes! We'll make @@NAME@@ rich with the materials we dig up! We'll make millions off of tourism! We'll have a national icon! It'll just be underground. It's win-win-win! YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!" He grabs your shirt shortly before a tranquilizer dart is fired from out of nowhere.
[effect]the nation is referenced by a large hole in the gound.
[stats]tourism increases, economy increases, charmlessness increases slightly, mining increases slightly, employment increases slightly, weather decreases slightly, environmental beauty decreases slightly, culture decreases slightly

[option]Your brother then brings you into a different room while the others talk about their ideas. "Hey, kid. You know, you're already kind of the nation's representative. Why not marvel it by hanging mandatory pictures of yourself in every public building? Think about it! Then everyone would always remember and adore the true representative of the nation, thee who keeps this place going. Maybe it'll even motivate citizens to not to break any laws, what with your face looking right at them and everything."
[effect]every public building is adorned with pictures of @@LEADER@@'s face.
[stats]corruption increases decently, culture increases, business subsidization increases slightly, economy increases slightly, compliance increases slightly, authoritarianism increases slightly, happiness decreases slightly, political apathy decreases slightly, political freedom decreases, integrity decreases decently

Desc: Several architects have been thinking of building a rather large artistic structure to represent @@NAME@@, having seen various iconic structures representing other nations - and realizing @@NAME@@ had no landmark whatsoever. They have finally mustered up the courage and legal work to come to you and ask for your permission to build one.
Validity: art is not banned, nation is rich/advanced enough to pull this off, nation doesn't have a landmark, nation allows tourists

[option]"We'd like to build something to represent our great nation, @@LEADER@@." says architect @@RANDOMNAME@@. "All of the great nations have one! Think about. The Leaning Tower of Linguine in Bigger Bootland. The Statue of Limitations of the Commonwealth of Murina! The Iris Tower! We can't go on without having some sort of building to represent our nation - or bringing in tourists, at that. We'll need loads of funding so we can make it as large and super tall as possible!"
[effect]Billions of @@CURRENCY@@ are spent making the new Very Large Super Impressive Space-Building of @@NAME@@.
[stats]tourism increases, economy increases slightly, culture increases slightly, taxation increases slightly, weather decreases slightly, charmlessness decreases, political apathy decreases slightly

[option]"Excuse me." says your Minister of Finance, Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, who happened to walk into the room. "What kind of logic is that? If all of the other nations went to nuclear war with one another, would we do the same thing? Don't answer that. Look, if you really think it's necessary for @@NAME@@ to have some sort of representative object, then don't spend all of our @@CURRENCY@@ on it. Just make it small, decent, interesting, and most of all, inexpensive.
[effect]the new national icon is a 6-inch tall piece of clay in @@LEADER@@'s kitchen window.
[stats]charmlessness increases, political apathy increases, tourism decreases slightly, culture decreases

[option]"Whoa whoa hey" chimes in one of the architects, who looks more like a fanatic in a bad costume. "What if we have a fake monument? Sure! Everyone will know what it is, but it simply won't exist!" He begins to get excited. "Yes, yes, yes! And if people ask to see it, we'll say it's off limits to tourists! That way we won't spend any money, but we'll make @@NAME@@ famous all over the world! AHAHAHAH!" He is then tranquilized from a dart that flew out of nowhere.
[effect]obnoxious tourists have been known to trespass off-limit areas in search of the fabled "Missing Monument".
[effect]ignorance increases, authoritarianism increases slightly, death rate increases slightly, law enforcement increases slightly

ed: Edited to [DISCARDED]. Was previously last edited: July 14, 2016. Oh, me. :roll:
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 13 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Katalaysia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Katalaysia » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Jutsa wrote:
Desc: Several architects have been thinking of building a rather large form of art to represent @@NAME@@, and have come to you for permission to build one. Maybe add something here. Why have they all started to want to do this? Is it because another nation's got a shiny, and they want one? Or did a popular magazine complain about the lack of art in your nation?
Validity: art is not banned.

[stats]culture increases, tourism increases, economy increases slightly, weather decreases slightly, charmlessness decreases, political apathy decreases slightly

[option]"Excuse me." says a politician Which politician? Minister of Culture, Minister of Finance?, Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, who happened to walk into the room. "What kind of logic is that? If all of the other nations went to nuclear war with one another, would we do the same thing? Don't answer that. Look, I agree we could use some representation, but it doesn't have to cost the nation billions of @@CURRENCY@@ to build just so it can topple over. We'll have a nice, simple work of art to represent the nation worldwide.
[effect]The @@NAME@@ @@ANIMALINITIALS@@ Rock represents the nation.

[option]"Bah!" Yells the person washing your walls. "Who needs art? You sleep, you eat, you work. You don't make something useless to represent the nation. WE represent the nation. The people. That should be enough." The politician who walked in earlier claps. "Great speech. Mind if I use that?"Generally in issues, people don't talk in other people's options.

[effect]the nation is referenced by a large hole in the planet.
[stats]culture increases, tourism increases, economy increases, mining increases slightly, employment increases slightly, weather decreases slightly, environmental beauty decreases slightly

[option]The next morning, you're still thinking about the decision when your brother walks in during your breakfast Issues happen in one moment. You can't decide one of the others' options if they're not there.. "Hey, kid, you know, you're already kind of the nation's representative. Why not show it by hanging mandatory pictures of yourself in every public building? Think about it! Then everyone would always marvel at the true representative of the nation, that who keeps this place going. Maybe people also won't do anything... lets just say improper with you looking right at them." He then slowly rubs his hands together.Generally people don't do anything this cliche in real life
[effect]@@LEADER@@'s face is hung up in every public building.
[stats]corruption increases, business subsidization increases slightly, economy increases slightly, happiness decreases slightly, political apathy decreases slightly, political freedom decreases, integrity decreases

Sorry, I've been kind of harsh there, but it's just some things to think about.
Last edited by Katalaysia on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uses Nationstates Stats, except for population. Assume around 100,000-120,000 people.
Slight PMT. Uses forcefields and slightly more advanced robots, but otherwise MT.
Please inform me if I make any mistakes! I'm quite new to this, and don't really follow politics otherwise, so any help is appreciated!
Author of "Shh, Spoilers!" and "Plug In and Play"

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:13 am

Oh, no, it's fine, Katalaysia! You're, in a way, my main editor of these before they even get to an editor
- unless you really are an editor, at which case you would literally be my editor...(I honestly don't know how that works just yet)
[also I thought you were another nation; woops :lol:]

At any rate, I've changed it up a bit to follow your suggestions. I do hope this one appeals to you somewhat more,
and if you or anyone else has any other suggestions, again, don't hesitate to make them. :D

Also, I put "any nation is rich/advanced enough to pull this off" because I have no idea what values exactly make this a viable option.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:32 am

I decided to also change some of the stats a little, to make each option a little bit more unique in its effect.

Katalaysia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Katalaysia » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:52 pm

That looks awesome, but I'd just get rid of the financial advisor trying to steal it for a speech in the third option. It might be better to switch the options around and have him saying that at the start of his option.

And no, I'm far too new to be an editor. I just sometimes like to nitpick things as a way to procrastinate.
Uses Nationstates Stats, except for population. Assume around 100,000-120,000 people.
Slight PMT. Uses forcefields and slightly more advanced robots, but otherwise MT.
Please inform me if I make any mistakes! I'm quite new to this, and don't really follow politics otherwise, so any help is appreciated!
Author of "Shh, Spoilers!" and "Plug In and Play"

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:02 am

Oh yeah, way too new! An old timer like me has a whole 3 weeks on you, got no time for a rank noob like you. :)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:18 am

Anyway, let's break it down!

Jutsa wrote:So, I apologize in advance if an issue like this already exists.
Again, feel free to criticize this as you please, tell me how it should be changed,
and... uh, let me know if it's duplicated or has too many options.

I'm pretty sure this is unique. Here's the trick here: you don't need to read all the existing issues, you can just use ctrl+f to word search for keywords, like monument (flags #457 as similar, but different enough in my mind to be distinct), architect (hmmm, #517 is about beautification through building, again pretty distinct), and so on.

Nice!

How about A Pillar Of Society? Or even A Magnificent Erection?

Though the other editors might censor that suggestion...

Desc: Several architects have been thinking of building a rather large form of art to represent @@NAME@@, having seen several WhoTube videos referencing other nations through iconic figures - and noticing @@NAME@@ had no representation whatsoever. They have finally mustered up the courage and legal work to come to you and ask for your permission to build one.

Iconic figures implies that we're building a statue or a tribute to an individual. I'd focus this down to instead "constructing a national landmark building", to be a "a patriotic work of art, a representation of the culture of @@NAME@@ and of course, a tourist attraction,"

I LOVE THIS! Even though it introduces two new nations to the game, I think the puns make this worthwhile. Status quo bias may lead to some resistance to lightheartedly introducing new NPC nations, but I'm all for it.

A bit boring.

[option]"Excuse me." says your Minister of Finance, Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, who happened to walk into the room. "What kind of logic is that? If all of the other nations went to nuclear war with one another, would we do the same thing? Don't answer that. Look, I agree we could use some representation, but it doesn't have to cost the nation billions of @@CURRENCY@@ to build just so it can topple over. We'll have a nice, simple work of art to represent the nation worldwide.

Ok, that's cool. "Don't answer that." made me laugh.

[effect]the @@NAME@@ @@ANIMALINITIALS@@ Rock represents the nation in WhoTube videos.

I think the Whotube references can disappear altogether, to be honest. I also think it'd be more amusing for the national monument to be something REALLY unimpressive, like a three foot tall obelisk in LEADER's back garden.

[option]"Bah!" Yells the person washing your walls. "Who needs art? You sleep, you eat, you work. You don't make something useless to represent the nation. WE represent the nation. The people. That should be enough." The Minister of Finance who walked in earlier claps and asked if he could use this as a speech.

Eh, can be cut. Option 2 is already the "we don't need it" option, as is the dismiss button.

[effect]the nation is referenced by a large hole in the gound.

[option]Your brother then brings you into a different room while the others talk about their ideas. "Hey, kid. You know, you're already kind of the nation's representative. Why not marvel it by hanging mandatory pictures of yourself in every public building? Think about it! Then everyone would always remember and adore the true representative of the nation, thee who keeps this place going. Maybe it'll even motivate citizens to not to break any laws, what with your face looking right at them and everything."
[effect]every public building is adorned with pictures of @@LEADER@@'s face.
[stats]corruption increases decently, culture increases, business subsidization increases slightly, economy increases slightly, compliance increases slightly, authoritarianism increases slightly, happiness decreases slightly, political apathy decreases slightly, political freedom decreases, integrity decreases decently[/box]

On a question like this, I think we should basically go:

Option 1: Yes, build a big monument.
Option 2: No, don't waste money. (twist: build a crappy monument instead)
Option 3: Crazy option

Then stop.

So keep 1 and 2, ditch 3, then pick the better of 4 and 5. Or, of course, create a new crazy option, of which there are so many possibilities my head hurts (cynically name a trash heap the national monument, have the corporation foot the bill and cover it in adverts (though that's kind of been done a lot), have a holographic monument rather than a real one (though people tend to love high tech solutions too much generally), build up a heap of enemy skulls in tribute to your glory, and so on). Main thing is to keep the crazy to a single option on yes/no issues, and make it the best and most original one you can think of.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:01 am

This issue confuses me. What has WhoTube gotta do with this
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:26 pm

I do really like your suggestions, Candlewhisper; you're very creative. :D

I have to admit, I did find options 2, 3, and 4 kind of... similar, in some ways, so I had no trouble changing them. (i.e. changing 2 and deleting 3 and 4)
I also thought about saving the 5th option... but, then I decided I'd save that for another project. :twisted:

Anyhow, I've updated it, with the second option taking your suggestion even farther(I think it'll be quite enjoyable),
the first one having a little bit more flavored text, and the third option was sort of taken after your idea of having a hologram - but quite different. :3
Also, I'm keeping the name if that's alright. ;)

If anyone else wishes to chime in and give me your opinions, feel free to do so~

Oh and

Australian Republic wrote:This issue confuses me. What has WhoTube gotta do with this

... Nothing really. :lol:

Also, I did forget to check about the description... I'll do that after this post. :P

Oh, and - edit again - thank you for the "ctrl-F" help, Candlewhisper; I keep forgetting that exists. :blush:
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:21 pm

My issue with this is that monuments are usually built for a reason. The Statue of Liberty is a symbol of freedom and democracy, and was built to commemorate the Declaration of Independence and the abolition of slavery. The Pyramids were built as tombs for the Pharaohs. The Leaning Tower (of Pizza, dunno about Linguine) wasn't even built intentionally, it just happened to turn out that way and got famous for it. And so on.

Nations do sometimes go "let's build an impressive monument to show off", but even then then the form is influenced by what they want to show off about.

Of your NPC nation monument examples, the one that amuses me most is the "Statue of Limitations", and while I can't tell from the name exactly what it's representing, it does sound like it's representing something.

A "Spend lots of taxpayer money on vaguely-defined project? [Y/N]" issue just leaves me wondering what the point is. (Yet while the advantages are minor, the only disadvantage is the "raise taxes" part, so I'm surprised Candlewhisper Archive isn't complaining about dumpstatting.)

On a more constructive note, for the "fake monument" option, I suggest building a virtual monument. I'm not even kidding. Denmark has an official Minecraft server. (Consequences are predictable.)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:13 pm

Trotterdam wrote:My issue with this is that monuments are usually built for a reason. The Statue of Liberty is a symbol of freedom and democracy, and was built to commemorate the Declaration of Independence and the abolition of slavery. The Pyramids were built as tombs for the Pharaohs. The Leaning Tower (of Pizza, dunno about Linguine) wasn't even built intentionally, it just happened to turn out that way and got famous for it. And so on.

Nations do sometimes go "let's build an impressive monument to show off", but even then then the form is influenced by what they want to show off about.

Of your NPC nation monument examples, the one that amuses me most is the "Statue of Limitations", and while I can't tell from the name exactly what it's representing, it does sound like it's representing something.

A "Spend lots of taxpayer money on vaguely-defined project? [Y/N]" issue just leaves me wondering what the point is. (Yet while the advantages are minor, the only disadvantage is the "raise taxes" part, so I'm surprised Candlewhisper Archive isn't complaining about dumpstatting.)

This is understandable - this is definitely more of a laid back issue, certainly isn't going to be that actually useful.
I'd still like to keep it up in case it's accepted, but I do see your point of "purpose".
Do you think it'd be a nice idea to have, instead, another option which looks at it from a different angle?
One that boosts patriotism, integrity, and it belongs to an option that says something along the lines of
"What is this talk about money and representation? If we were to make something in honor of @@NATION@@, it should have some actual meaning, no matter what it is?!"?
Or do you think that'd be too many options / not unique enough / etc?
Again, any opinions are of help to me. :3

Trotterdam wrote:On a more constructive note, for the "fake monument" option, I suggest building a virtual monument. I'm not even kidding. Denmark has an official Minecraft server. (Consequences are predictable.)

I thought about that - though, the issue would then also require that the nation has an internet...
which, wouldn't be too unrealistic if they had the economy to pull a large structure off in the first place. :lol2:

Well, I'll keep that at mind - though, I think it'd be sort of fun having tourists search your nation far and wide
just to stumble across a secret government agency and say "Oh hey do you know where the Mystery Monument is?".
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:42 pm

On the subject of similarity to previous issues:

The current issue that comes closest to this subject in my opinion is #518 (Candlewhisper, you were one off), though it's not too close.

I also remember an old draft that didn't make it into the game, but may be worth cannibalizing for ideas.

There are several issues in the game about choosing some kind of national symbol or another, such as appointing a sports mascot, declaring a national food, or even picking a favorite color, and they all assign some kind of political baggage to their proposed options.

Jutsa wrote:I thought about that - though, the issue would then also require that the nation has an internet...
which, wouldn't be too unrealistic if they had the economy to pull a large structure off in the first place. :lol2:
It's possible to have a validity for individual options (mark it with [option validity]). It's a relatively new feature (by old-fogey-like-me standards), so a lot of issue writing guides don't mention it yet. Especially for token-crazy-options-at-the-end, it won't hurt the issue for one option to only sometimes appear.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:07 am

Trotterdam wrote:On the subject of similarity to previous issues:

The current issue that comes closest to this subject in my opinion is #518 (Candlewhisper, you were one off), though it's not too close.

Right you are, its an eccentricity of the editor's code version of the list that they're numbered from #000. I keep forgetting that.

Re: dump-statting, don't you worry. On my watch, there will never be any issue I edit that doesn't have increased spending as the only downside. NEVER!

Unless I forget, of course.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:23 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Right you are, its an eccentricity of the editor's code version of the list that they're numbered from #000. I keep forgetting that.
Well, #517 isn't completely irrelevant (it's about an art gallery), so I figured you saw that one and missed that the immediately following issue was even more relevant.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Re: dump-statting, don't you worry. On my watch, there will never be any issue I edit that doesn't have increased spending as the only downside. NEVER!
Well, maybe statwise, but it still looks like a dumpstat option.

The best other downside I can think of is raising Corruption (since you're spending taxpayers' money on a vanity project rather than actually help your citizens), but (A) that's still a result of the "increased spending" aspect, which remains the only direct downside, and (B) how corrupt is it really if the other options are all positive, like increasing Culture and Tourism?

Similarly, the only presented argument for not building a monument is "it would save money". No other priorities are argued to be more important than artism (is that how you call how artistic something is?), except money.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:18 pm

I have to say, I sort of want to keep this idea...
but, you do have some very good points. It does sort of have a basic concept to it, which is:

>Spend billions on large art
>Spend baby amount on pathetic art
>Fake monument nobody can find and get shot for trespass

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this any better?
And, if not, think I should scrap or submit this? :P

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Jutsa wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this any better?
Well, I would prefer either a choice between several artistic monuments (differing in artistic style and/or political symbolism), or between building an artistic monument and doing something else (like in #518, the government buildings need to exist regardless, but you can choose whether to design them based on visual attractiveness or one of several other priorities). Just "spend more vs spend less" sounds boring to me, especially when the spending is on such an abstract thing with vague merit.

Jutsa wrote:And, if not, think I should scrap or submit this? :P
Well, you could still submit it. My opinions are, naturally, my own, and do not represent the editing team.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?