NATION

PASSWORD

Issue: 229: Government Saturated In Corruption Question

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
NewTexas
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Issue: 229: Government Saturated In Corruption Question

Postby NewTexas » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:28 pm

We have a question for the Issues Editors. Why does answering a purely Political Freedoms Issue affect a government form directly related to Civil Rights? We went from Anarchy down to Civil Rights Lovefest.

We got ⇡3.6% on Political Freedom and ±0.0% on Civil Rights and thought we would have retained Anarchy.

Is

Civil Rights: World Benchmark(84), Economy: Frightening(100), Political Freedoms: Widely Abused(90)

really a "Civil Rights Lovefest"?

Issue:
229: Government Saturated In Corruption

Selecting:
2."The problem is transparency," says Akira Christensen, member of the National Whistleblower Association. "They can do whatever they want because they have absolutely no obligation to provide the public with the details of what they're doing. We should make all the details of any gifts or money available to the public, and make politicians accountable to the law."

The Talking Point:
The government has enacted freedom of information.

Reclassification:
NewTexas was reclassified from Anarchy to a Civil Rights Lovefest.
NewTexas's Political Freedoms rose from Excessive to Widely Abused.

Maybe the effects of this selection need to be reviewed?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this.

-- Big Tex
Big Tex
Governor of Texas

Author: NSDossier

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Updated_NS_Graph.png

It shows that going from Anarchy to Civil Rights Lovefest requires a drop in economic freedom. You can see here that your most recent issue decision caused your economic freedom to drop from 68.44 to 65.56. I can't tell you why you had a drop in economic freedom, but you did. Neither Civil Rights nor Political Freedom had anything to do with your reclassification. (And for the record, "Economy" is different than "Economic Freedom".)
Last edited by Phydios on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:12 pm

NewTexas wrote:We have a question for the Issues Editors. Why does answering a purely Political Freedoms Issue affect a government form directly related to Civil Rights? We went from Anarchy down to Civil Rights Lovefest.
Actually, this signifies a reduction in Economic Freedom. (Civil Rights Lovefest has high Civil Rights, but so do many other government types.) If your Civl Rights and Political Freedoms also changed, this was by amounts that were not enough to push you over the edge to a new government classification.

This is probably because you reduced the potential for bribery, thus limiting what people (or more likely, large corporations) can do with their money. And since it's harder for rich people to control the political process, the goverment is likely to shift to being more anti-rich-people.

NewTexas
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby NewTexas » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Wow, that hit to Economic Freedom really did a number on us. We had no idea. Dagnabbit! We just saw a lot of "High" stats and did not think that was enough to drop us out of Anarchy. Thank you for sharing the Updated NS Graph.

You have to excuse the old timer. We are still used to:

NATIONS OF THREE HIGH FREEDOMS

1. Anarchy (All freedoms high)

NATIONS OF TWO HIGH FREEDOMS, ONE MEDIUM FREEDOM

2. Corporate Bordello (Medium Social, High Economic, High Political)
3. Civil Rights Lovefest (High Social, Medium Economic, High Political)
4. Capitalizt (High Social, High Economic, Medium Political)

etc...

Thank you for your prompt response.
Big Tex
Governor of Texas

Author: NSDossier

Return to Got Issues?