NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Does @@NAME@@ Dream of Electric Sheep?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:41 am

Caracasus wrote:
Watuhuru wrote:Well, now we are getting down to the details. Do theses AIs have true free will, even if that free will is based on the personality and memories of another person. If they do, then yes, they are people in their own rights. They are capable of making their own personal decisions and have their own likes, dislikes, and may sometimes be completely random. Of course, I could of just been describing Sims, so who knows.

Indeed - which is kind of the philosopher's argument. That the technology throws up too many questions to be used as is - and that anything like this needs to be debated.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it just needs a bit of tweeking
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:47 am

Caracasus wrote:Would it? What if they loved peanut butter before they were involved in a serious accident that affected part of their brain - following the accident they now can't stand the smell of peanuts. Who is the real person then - the one before the crash or the one after? Does the new artificial intelligence ghost exist in its own right?
This kind of thing is why I have trouble with the concept of conventional, religious afterlives. Which "you" goes to the afterlife?

A digital afterlife is actually simpler, since it'll be based on your state when you were uploaded, no sooner and no later. I suppose it still brings problems of its own - if you suffer serious brain damage but aren't killed, would you still rather restore from backup rather than keeping your new personality? or maybe you even want both versions of you to exist side by side? - but that's more in the sense of "what do I want" or "what's ethical to do", rather than a question about fundamental nature of the universe. You can, in principle, answer the question every which way and then design the system to make it so, if you want.

But that's with serious brain uploading. These social media bots shouldn't even be close enough to "real" to warrant any philosophical confusion.

Which, really, is the biggest problem with this issue. It has some rather longwinded options for what's ultimately not much to talk about.

Then again, many of the options still imply that the technology is actually working. The uploaded scientists are publishing worthwhile papers, and the uploaded politicians have enough consciousness to question their own nature.

As for my real-life philosophy on the subject, look here.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:06 am

Yeah, the implication is that the technology is a) more advanced and b) sort of works from the issue effects. However, I figured given that this'd be for high technology nations, it wouldn't be completely out of the question.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Stealing from Iain M. Banks, I can see someone truly twisted deciding to make this technology for the express purpose of torturing sinners forever in a digital Hell. Maybe a priest or other religious figure who lost faith in the "actual" afterlife but still can't bear knowing horrible people can die without being in agony until the end of time.

Might be too outlandish. Number of options plays into it, too - on something this interesting, I think lots of options is justifiable (they really are all very different, after all). Your call.
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:16 am

Hmm... an eternal hell? Perhaps. I'll have a think.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:29 am

Been thinking a lot about this issue, as I love H+ thought generally. Mostly though, been thinking about its acceptability in a game that is more or less realistic rather than scifi.

However, I do note that AI has been a running theme in multiple issues, so this is likely one of the few areas where "20 minutes into the future" is acceptable to the setting.

Back to the issue:

I actually liked your original title better, though at least this one doesn't set off an ear-worm for me everytime I read it. :)

Option 5, your favourite one, is unfortunately the one that is most problematic. Its too meta. Effect lines should never use "you", as you can be read by the person executing the issue, or by someone visiting a nations page and reading its description. In the first instance, thats a fun meta joke. In the second, its someone asking "wtf?".

I'd advise that this...

[effect] many believe they exist only as electronic ghosts within a government simulation game

...is slightly closer to acceptable. However, even then I support the editorial team may vote that this is too meta for a non=Easter Egg issue.

Leaning on the 4th wall can be fun, but outright confronting the player can shatter a sense of immersion. That's something that is generally best avoided.

Could go either way: feel free to submit it with that option intact, but don't be too surprised if the team decides to cut it before publication.

Option 3's effect line is also problematic, as it basically confirms that the transfer of post-life mindstate is successful. I think its great to have an issue about the possibility of transhuman tech, but not to have one that confirms the success of transhuman technology.

Again, I'm aware that AIs exist in game, but the writing leans (slightly) towards questioning whether AIs are sentient or not, rather than presenting them as equally obvious in sentience to human beings. That is, the issues could still exist in a realistic modern-day world, without using any technology beyond what currently exists.

Bear in mind this is my opinion only. In my mind, #082 is fine, #472 is a little too meta and skirting the edges of the present-day setting, and this issue - as currently written - is a little TOO science fiction.

I definitely want to see more transhumanist questioning in the game, but I think it needs to be couched solely in terms or present day technology, plus speculating about the future. An option or description should never take the setting beyond real world technology.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:41 am

Okay, thanks a bunch for this Candlewhisper - I've toned down the "meta" elements and made it clearer that the technology hasn't been perfected yet (scientists going in for regular brain scans in an attempt to preserve their intelligence after death).

I did like the initial title, but I figured I've already got an 80's pop reference with the name of the company - our friend's electric.

How is it looking now everyone?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:46 am

Caracasus wrote:Okay, thanks a bunch for this Candlewhisper - I've toned down the "meta" elements and made it clearer that the technology hasn't been perfected yet (scientists going in for regular brain scans in an attempt to preserve their intelligence after death).

I did like the initial title, but I figured I've already got an 80's pop reference with the name of the company - our friend's electric.

Hey, you can never have enough 80s pop references. But then, I grew up in that decade so I am likely biased.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:48 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Caracasus wrote:Okay, thanks a bunch for this Candlewhisper - I've toned down the "meta" elements and made it clearer that the technology hasn't been perfected yet (scientists going in for regular brain scans in an attempt to preserve their intelligence after death).

Hey, you can never have enough 80s pop references. But then, I grew up in that decade so I am likely biased.

If you can see anywhere I can squeeze one in I'm all ears!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:04 am

Caracasus wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

If you can see anywhere I can squeeze one in I'm all ears!

Death by being shot through the heart-but who's to blame?
And I'm sure if you Googled the lyrics to "Rock the Casbar"
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Option 5, your favourite one, is unfortunately the one that is most problematic. Its too meta. Effect lines should never use "you", as you can be read by the person executing the issue, or by someone visiting a nations page and reading its description. In the first instance, thats a fun meta joke. In the second, its someone asking "wtf?".
Actually, it still makes sense. Other people reading the effect line are most likely to be other NationStates players, who, if all of NationStates is a virtual reality illusion, are just as likely to be mindstates uploaded into the simulation.

This may be the only time in the entire issue database that the usage of "you" is actually justified.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'd advise that this...

[effect] many believe they exist only as electronic ghosts within a government simulation game

...is slightly closer to acceptable.
Ah, but this doesn't spring the possibility that they might be electronic ghosts on people who haven't previously suspected the idea :( It passes it off as "oh, it's just those crazies over there".

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Again, I'm aware that AIs exist in game, but the writing leans (slightly) towards questioning whether AIs are sentient or not, rather than presenting them as equally obvious in sentience to human beings.
One effect line describes AIs as suffering from ennui. That implies AIs are conscious and human-like enough to feel human emotions.

Australian Republic wrote:Death by being shot through the heart-but who's to blame?
That's this issue.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:55 am

Reasonably argued, Trotterdam. We'll see what the team as a whole has to say about it when this one hits the pool, assuming that it does. I personally think there shouldn't be "you" on effect lines at all, but there's no rule there, its just a stylistic preference.

I agree about the line on AIs suffering ennui gives a precedent. However, in my mind, its that precedent that is stylistically inconsistent with the game. I'll be curious to see how the conversation goes once we start discussing this backstage. Be especially nice if we can get Max to make some comments on his overall narrative vision for the game and how much it allows for science fiction.

Tell you what, when you send it through, keep it in its original form: fourth wall breaking, and second person. That'll be a great starting point for the conversation.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:34 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Reasonably argued, Trotterdam. We'll see what the team as a whole has to say about it when this one hits the pool, assuming that it does. I personally think there shouldn't be "you" on effect lines at all, but there's no rule there, its just a stylistic preference.

I agree about the line on AIs suffering ennui gives a precedent. However, in my mind, its that precedent that is stylistically inconsistent with the game. I'll be curious to see how the conversation goes once we start discussing this backstage. Be especially nice if we can get Max to make some comments on his overall narrative vision for the game and how much it allows for science fiction.

Tell you what, when you send it through, keep it in its original form: fourth wall breaking, and second person. That'll be a great starting point for the conversation.

Cool. Could I also attach a note saying "If you want to change it to not fourth wall breaking do so"?

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:46 am

Okay, last call for further feedback. As suggested by Candlewhisper Archives I will submit it with the original 4th wall breaking effect.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:10 am

The only thing I can say is include the @@FAITH@@ tag somewhere in option 2

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:13 am

Also, it shouldbe high priest @@RANDOMMALENAME@@. Many religions stictly have codes which say only men can become priests. Very few, if any, limit priesthood to only women

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:35 am

Ohh, missed that - thanks! I left out the @@FAITH@@ one (had considered it) as I figured that not everyone has picked a faith. It's at what - a billion population?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:43 am

Caracasus wrote:Ohh, missed that - thanks! I left out the @@FAITH@@ one (had considered it) as I figured that not everyone has picked a faith. It's at what - a billion population?

There's a work-around for nationsnwithout religions

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:01 am

Australian Republic wrote:
Caracasus wrote:Ohh, missed that - thanks! I left out the @@FAITH@@ one (had considered it) as I figured that not everyone has picked a faith. It's at what - a billion population?

There's a work-around for nationsnwithout religions

I did not know that. Thank you. Edited it now - look OK?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:04 am

I would say that it's ready for submission. But what would I know...

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:06 am

Australian Republic wrote:I would say that it's ready for submission. But what would I know...

Aye I plan to leave it up a little longer just in case, but yeah will submit soon.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:27 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I definitely want to see more transhumanist questioning in the game, but I think it needs to be couched solely in terms or present day technology, plus speculating about the future. An option or description should never take the setting beyond real world technology.

We definitely have a few issues that push that line. The Vat pair (#123 and #279) strike me as the most 'out there'. A short jaunt into more sci-fi is usually possible if there is still an interesting dilemma (with the same no-win approach to choices) that isn't too far removed from the issue base.

As long as the player receives the issue and thinks 'yeah I could see how this could be an issue facing my nation' instead of 'wait, when did I colonize a planet orbiting Epsilon Eridani and what are drone riots?', it's got a better chance of being accepted.

279 is a good example actually. By itself, there's no way it could be in the game. It needs 123 to set the stage technology-wise.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:34 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I definitely want to see more transhumanist questioning in the game, but I think it needs to be couched solely in terms or present day technology, plus speculating about the future. An option or description should never take the setting beyond real world technology.

We definitely have a few issues that push that line. The Vat pair (#123 and #279) strike me as the most 'out there'. A short jaunt into more sci-fi is usually possible if there is still an interesting dilemma (with the same no-win approach to choices) that isn't too far removed from the issue base.

As long as the player receives the issue and thinks 'yeah I could see how this could be an issue facing my nation' instead of 'wait, when did I colonize a planet orbiting Epsilon Eridani and what are drone riots?', it's got a better chance of being accepted.

279 is a good example actually. By itself, there's no way it could be in the game. It needs 123 to set the stage technology-wise.

I have attempted to scale it back a little, making it clearer that the tech is in developmental stages. I was kind of working on the fact that AI's have been mentioned before. Would you say that the issue itself is pushing the envelope a bit too far? I am still unsure.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:16 am

No, I don't think it's pushing it too far.

I'll try and post comments in a bit.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:14 am

I really like this one, both idea and writing.

I think the company should be "friends", not "friend's" (occurs throughout). That latter means "belonging to a single friend", whereas I think you mean "more than one friend" without the possessive.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?