NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted]A sticky problem

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Submitted]A sticky problem

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:01 am

Info: Just yesterday, the doors of a train cabin were unable to open due to chewing gum stuck in the the door sensors and hydralic system by previous commuters, trapping twenty people for several hours and halting the entire train line. As per usual, the citizens of your nation have come knocking to complain about the problem.

Validity: Nations with good public transport, average civil rights

[option]A mob waving briefcases and umbrellas is demonstrating outside of your window. "This gum issue has gone on long enough!" blares @@RANDOMNAME@@, an office worker, through a megaphone. "Wouldn't you love a country not pervaded with this menace? I can't walk two feet without my shoes getting plastered with the stuff! @@LEADER@@, if you truly mean the best for @@NAME@@, please, ban it for all our sakes."
[effect]@@NAME@@'s ban on gum has made it the laughing stock of the whole @@REGION@@
[stats]civil rights decreases very slightly, happiness increases very slightly, public transport improves slightly, law and order funding increases

[option]"And that's not enough," adds Tom Lee, one of your advisors with an unnaturally high forehead. "We need to crack down on all sorts of problematic behaviours, like littering and jaywalking with fines. Oh, and forgetting to flush the toilet, we can't have people doing that too."
[effect]police cameras are placed at every street and toilet cubicle to catch offenders
[stats]civil rights decreases, happiness decreases, public transport improves slightly, law and order funding increases significantly

[option]"That's not a solution," argues @@RANDOMNAME@@, Minister of Transport and major investor in the gum industry. "We could just double the sensitivity of the sensors and hydralic strength of the train doors and our problems are solved. I don't see how that would cause any problems."
[effect]the overly-strong train doors are notorious for cutting people in half
[stats]public transport worsens, happiness decreases very slightly, retail industry expands slightly, scientific advancement increases very slightly, deaths by accident increase
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:35 am, edited 7 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:42 am

Finally, I get to bring out the lists again.
  1. Tags should be in all lowercase.
  2. "Denizens"? What di you mean?
  3. Bubble gum is sticky, but it might as well not be when compared to the strength of train doors.
  4. Use the @@REGION@@ macro for option 1's effect.
  5. Expand option 3.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Leppikania wrote:Finally, I get to bring out the lists again.
  1. Tags should be in all lowercase.
  2. "Denizens"? What di you mean?
  3. Bubble gum is sticky, but it might as well not be when compared to the strength of train doors.
  4. Use the @@REGION@@ macro for option 1's effect.
  5. Expand option 3.

I corrected some details by refering to Singapore history: "It was then reported that vandals had begun sticking chewing gum on the door sensors of MRT trains, preventing doors from functioning properly and causing disruption to train services. Such incidents were rare but costly and culprits were difficult to apprehend. In January 1992, Goh Chok Tong, who had just taken over as Prime Minister, decided on a ban." It is now slightly more realistic.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:17 am

Singapore no2 wrote:[effect]the overly-strong train doors are noctorious for cutting people in half

Emphasis mine. I think you misspelled "notorious" in that line.
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Raionitu wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:[effect]the overly-strong train doors are noctorious for cutting people in half

Emphasis mine. I think you misspelled "notorious" in that line.

K
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:50 am

Curious to know: are you actually from Singapore?

I know that your nation is notorious for its comparatively hard stance on gum. This may account for the issue seeming more topical and grounded in reality for your nation than it does for many westerners.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:27 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Curious to know: are you actually from Singapore?

I know that your nation is notorious for its comparatively hard stance on gum. This may account for the issue seeming more topical and grounded in reality for your nation than it does for many westerners.

Yup! I'm a Singaporean, hence the nation name.

This issue seems whimsical to westerners so it fits in this game. However, you are right. It is grounded in reality for Singaporeans. Well, gum in small amounts is allowed and it is also purchasable for medical purposes (I think you have to get diagnosed for bad breath).

I was considering other effects for the ban, like "Clinics have seen a sharp rise in 'bad breath' diagnosis", but it's too similar to the alchohol ban in that other issue, or like "the border crossing is locked in gridlock as gum addicts go to Maxtopia to buy their gum", as in how Singaporeans go to Malaysia (across the border) to buy gum. But it's too long and sounds kind of lame.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:01 am

Bump.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?