NATION

PASSWORD

Charmlessness

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Oslea
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2006
Moralistic Democracy

Charmlessness

Postby Oslea » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:46 am

It seems that every single issue increases this, and those that decrease it don't lower it by much.

Charmlessness honestly seems very random - I have no idea what to choose to reduce it. I know this is issue by issue, but I'm hoping there's some sort of common thread I can choose to reduce it. Any feedback is appreciated!
Last edited by Oslea on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pterodoria
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Postby Pterodoria » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:56 am

I don't know exactly how charmlessness is calculated, but looking at your stats, it's probably quite high in your nation because of the bad environment, high death rate, and rude citizens. If you want to decrease it, you'll have to spend more on your environment (and put more regulations on businesses etc.), and basically make your country 'nicer', even if it's at the expense of your economy or tax rate.
Puppet of Pencil Sharpeners 2. Drugs and capitalism.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:11 am

Charmlessness used to be called Toxicity, and though the new name for the category is much more informative, I can't help but wonder if its previous name led to it being strongly linked to pollution and anti-environmentalism. Certainly its seemed to me bizarre when the introduction of slavery or the suppression of civil rights had less effect on Toxicity than choosing coal power plants.

You raise a good point though - it certainly seems to me that the older a nation is, the more its Charmlessness will have drifted upwards. I'm not aware of the parameters for calculation either, but I think it'd be interesting to write an issue or two that specifically looks to decrease charmlessness.

Here we go, wrote one:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=371349
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Naasseners
Secretary

Founded: Jun 12, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Naasseners » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:36 am

It's not that difficult to lower. I'd say that this nation is pretty old, and has Charmlessness World Rank 164,515 (out of 164,870). But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have an an issue that directly modifies that.

I'm actually still not sure what's the difference between high Charmlessness and low Environmental Beauty/Eco-Friendliness.
Those don't seem to be used consistently. Environmental Beauty is often influenced more on how the cities look, rather than the nature (tidy orderly cities = high EB), and it's possible to have high Eco-Friendliness even if your nation has turned into a lifeless wasteland.
Last edited by Naasseners on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:38 am

The difference between environmental beauty and ecofriendliness is something I was aiming at with this issue:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=371298
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Oslea
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2006
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Oslea » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Pterodoria wrote:I don't know exactly how charmlessness is calculated, but looking at your stats, it's probably quite high in your nation because of the bad environment, high death rate, and rude citizens. If you want to decrease it, you'll have to spend more on your environment (and put more regulations on businesses etc.), and basically make your country 'nicer', even if it's at the expense of your economy or tax rate.

This seems to hit the nail on the head. Given the couple of issues I had to deal with today involving the environment, choosing a pro-environment answer reduced Charmlessness. Though I do wish Candlewhisper's issue was in the game already, so I can bring this setting back down.

With that said, I'm still convinced there are some issues that appear to randomly increase it. Thank you for all your responses, though!

Return to Got Issues?