NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Caracasus
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7591
Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Caracasus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:54 am

North Atrada wrote:Paying buskers to perform decreased Environmental Beauty by more than 20% percent.


Look at the numbers, not the percentages. You're a new nation with a pretty poor environment. Your environment only really dropped by a bit, but given how bad it was to start with, the percentage change was very large.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!



Issues editor, not a moderator.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 18944
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 am

North Atrada wrote:Paying buskers to perform decreased Environmental Beauty by more than 20% percent.


Welcome to the game!

Here's your answer:
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=can ... /id=743331

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 3970
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Fauxia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Why did enforcing compulsory vegetarianism on Socialist Republic of Bernia lower the productivity of the black market? I understand I have a big black market there, but wouldn't it add an entire industry to the black market?

Also, why did outlawing slavery help the economy on United Provinces of Anarkia?
Last edited by Fauxia on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 18944
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Good ones, Fauxia.

Fauxia wrote:Why did enforcing compulsory vegetarianism on Socialist Republic of Bernia lower the productivity of the black market? I understand I have a big black market there, but wouldn't it add an entire industry to the black market?


Your whole economy shrunk by 2.7%, and the black market portion of that shrunk by 1.1%. Ergo, the proportion of the economy that is in the black market has increased.

Also, why did outlawing slavery help the economy on United Provinces of Anarkia?


It shouldn't have done - the issue stats should weaken economic efficiency and output, and half a dozen tests show that is consistent.

However you're right it did. My guess is that a WA resolution kicked in at the same time. Will check with technical.

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 3970
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Fauxia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Good ones, Fauxia.

Fauxia wrote:Why did enforcing compulsory vegetarianism on Socialist Republic of Bernia lower the productivity of the black market? I understand I have a big black market there, but wouldn't it add an entire industry to the black market?


Your whole economy shrunk by 2.7%, and the black market portion of that shrunk by 1.1%. Ergo, the proportion of the economy that is in the black market has increased.

Also, why did outlawing slavery help the economy on United Provinces of Anarkia?


It shouldn't have done - the issue stats should weaken economic efficiency and output, and half a dozen tests show that is consistent.

However you're right it did. My guess is that a WA resolution kicked in at the same time. Will check with technical.
Anarkia is not in the WA.
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 18944
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Fair enough, not that then. Have flagged it backstage as it seems like an aberration.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 18944
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Well, it turns out my understanding of the simulation was missing a few bits of information that weren't visible to me. Complex emergent simulation and so on.

So as it turns out, this was the sim working as intended. While you did indeed remove access to slavery, it turns out this was a good thing for your economy through the simulation's rules.
I guess in story terms adopting a more modern and reasonable economy shape must have encouraged investment and made the markets feel more secure, and so on. Wouldn't be the case for all nations, but it was for that one.

Anyroads, thanks for teaching me something new about the game engine.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 3970
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Fauxia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Well, it turns out my understanding of the simulation was missing a few bits of information that weren't visible to me. Complex emergent simulation and so on.

So as it turns out, this was the sim working as intended. While you did indeed remove access to slavery, it turns out this was a good thing for your economy through the simulation's rules.
I guess in story terms adopting a more modern and reasonable economy shape must have encouraged investment and made the markets feel more secure, and so on. Wouldn't be the case for all nations, but it was for that one.

Anyroads, thanks for teaching me something new about the game engine.
It was a pleasure, although it mighta been more of one if I had meant to do it :)
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
La Badlandoj
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 22
Founded: Sep 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby La Badlandoj » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 am

657.3 (scrapping political parties) lowered my Political Freedom significantly (~5 point drop, category change from Superb to Excellent). Given the 'partisan loyalty is an impediment to true freedom' line I expected the opposite, though in retrospect my priors were probably wrong. Was I wrong or were the mechanics?
Last edited by La Badlandoj on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jutsa
Senator
 
Posts: 4531
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 am

I was surprised when I chose that option, too. :lol:

I can't remember what the reason was - if I was even told what it was, as I might not have mentioned it... :?

I suspect the game takes it as "you're outlawing political parties", which means
a) that's outlawing something political and
b) Your nation no longer has opposition parties (because there are no political parties).

I wholeheartedly agree that no-party is different from one-party, but a) I might be wrong and b) NS might also look at it that way.
Here is a list containing a bunch of factbooks I created that are Got Issues? related.
>List of issue ideas
>List of missing issues/options
>List of accepted issues~
^ I know this is hardly a flashy signature, but at least I have one now.

User avatar
Chuching
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 125
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Chuching » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:46 am

Issue 21, Option 2 has negative effect on Law Enforcement. How does installing surveillance cameras in all public places have a negative effect on Law Enforcement?

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 18944
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 am

La Badlandoj wrote:657.3 (scrapping political parties) lowered my Political Freedom significantly (~5 point drop, category change from Superb to Excellent). Given the 'partisan loyalty is an impediment to true freedom' line I expected the opposite, though in retrospect my priors were probably wrong. Was I wrong or were the mechanics?


Difficult one here to stat, but my view is that if you abolish political parties then you reduce the ability of the electorate to have government represent their views. It essentially creates a situation akin to the Roman Senate, where there are no visible power blocs, but rather a web of conspiracies and secret under-the-table alliances guiding votes.

Regardless, it is as Jutsa says: you are limiting what people are allowed to do in politics. That's a political freedom drop.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 18944
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:56 am

Chuching wrote:Issue 21, Option 2 has negative effect on Law Enforcement. How does installing surveillance cameras in all public places have a negative effect on Law Enforcement?


Actually crime rates fell, and compliance rates increased.

No spending change was coded, as it's more about how you use police resources, not adding additional police resources. However spending fell, as a knock on effect from the complex emergent simulation.

The clue from the front end is that ALL departments fell by the same percentage, so clearly you're looking at the game deciding that government has gotten marginally smaller, likely because of the underlying shape of society, rather than any specific coded directions.

It's an unusual thing but look on it as a bonus: you've managed to spend less on a department while increasing its effectiveness! That's a government's favourite thing.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 18944
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 am

Early warning - later this evening will be locking this thread and making a new and improved one.

Any questions posted to this thread after this post have a risk of not being answered.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 18944
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 am

And here's your new thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=424650

Go on give it a poke. Go onnnn....
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads