NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

4stan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby 4stan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:21 pm

My memory is slightly fuzzy on this one because it was a couple of hours ago and I didn't write anything down. However, if I remember correctly, UC recently opted to subsidize the bejeezus out of the Olympics (option 3) in issue 246, and while it provided a huge boost to arms manufacturing, defense went down? I do not understand this. I thought pouring money into the economy without favoring a particular sector or industry is supposed to make defense go up? I don't expect perfect realism from this game, but it would be nice if the game could at least be consistent in the ways in which it is unrealistic.

USS Monitor wrote:
4stan wrote:I'm just noting which option effects are consistent and which ones vary from one set of circumstances to another. That's potentially useful information for anyone who doesn't know what goes on behind the curtains.

That is absolutely NOT the purpose of this thread.

If people want to discuss issue effects that they find unusual and talk about how they think the game engine works, should a separate thread be started for that purpose?

EDIT: KB legalizes the settling of disputes via duel (issue 131). Book-publishing goes up 5.3%. :eyebrow: Are people reading books about sword-fighting?
Last edited by 4stan on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WDS and I are the same person. Neither nationstate represents my real-world political views.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 am

USS Monitor wrote:
4stan wrote:

I'm just noting which option effects are consistent and which ones vary from one set of circumstances to another. That's potentially useful information for anyone who doesn't know what goes on behind the curtains.

That is absolutely NOT the purpose of this thread.

Agreed. See that badge there? It says Moderator.
See this badge here? It says Editor.

If you'd like another thread to speculate about behind the curtains mechanics or trends in stats, then go start that thread.

This thread is explicitly for reporting game effects that suggest that the editor's coding of an issue might be incorrect, which gives us a safety net and flags need for changes.

Your observations NEVER achieve this, so they are of no use. The explanations given to you when you make those useless observations are intended to stop you wasting your and our time making those same observations again.

In reply to all your queries: working as intended, I refer you to previous explanations of the game engine.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:11 am

4stan wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:That is absolutely NOT the purpose of this thread.

If people want to discuss issue effects that they find unusual and talk about how they think the game engine works, should a separate thread be started for that purpose?

What CWA said. A new thread would be more appropriate than posting it here.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

4stan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby 4stan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 am

Will do. This morning, however, I have a genuine contradiction to report.

Issue 27 explicitly says that if the buying and selling of organs is legalized, most of the people doing the selling will be poor people. This means that logically, the average income of the poor should increase if I legalize organ sales. I did exactly that, but average income of the poor went down instead.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:In reply to all your queries: working as intended, I refer you to previous explanations of the game engine.

You mean non-explanations.
Last edited by 4stan on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
WDS and I are the same person. Neither nationstate represents my real-world political views.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 am

4stan, please take the hint and go away. What you consider useful queries are not useful queries.

I might answer and explain the queries you're making, but you're basically being persistently rude and obnoxious, so you're basically not welcome here.

Go away.

See that metaphorical door? Go. Leave. Get out. Skedaddle. You're a waste of time, a waste of wear and tear on keyboards, and a waste of brain cells.

Shoo.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Venetoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venetoland » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 am

My nation has seen an upsurge in moonshine, but my recreational drug use went DOWN. Isn't moonshine a "recreational drug"?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 am

Venetoland wrote:My nation has seen an upsurge in moonshine, but my recreational drug use went DOWN. Isn't moonshine a "recreational drug"?

Moonshine is up, but alcohol consumption is down. Take a look at the option:

"Just set an upper limit of 6% ABV. That way people still have a way to blow off steam, but they’ll be a little less likely to smash bottles or brawl over the pandaball game."

effect:
moonshine has made a resurgence

So what you've done there is set an upper limit on alcohol levels. This represents more limitation on alcohol intake than you had before, so alcohol consumption has fallen. People may be brewing more moonshine, but they're still drinking less overall.

It's like if you banned smoking, illegal cigarette trading would make a resurgence, but there'd still be less smoking.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:57 am

4stan wrote:Will do. This morning, however, I have a genuine contradiction to report.

Issue 27 explicitly says that if the buying and selling of organs is legalized, most of the people doing the selling will be poor people. This means that logically, the average income of the poor should increase if I legalize organ sales. I did exactly that, but average income of the poor went down instead.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:In reply to all your queries: working as intended, I refer you to previous explanations of the game engine.

You mean non-explanations.

Your nation has turned the organs of the poor into a commodity. Income of poor probably went down to reflect your nation's movement towards a stratified society.

As you said, poor people will be selling kidneys to pay off debt etc. Doubt anyone can work for a good while after having a kidney out...
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

South Pacific Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Republic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am

One of my puppets got the issue dealing with using artillery at concerts. I chose the one that encouraged the usage of weapons and it completely crashed the defense forces stat.
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=thomura/detail=trend?censusid=46
Last edited by South Pacific Republic on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Venetoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venetoland » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks! That's so freaking obvious, I should have figured that out.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 am

South Pacific Republic wrote:One of my puppets got the issue dealing with using artillery at concerts. I chose the one that encouraged the usage of weapons and it completely crashed the defense forces stat.

Are you talking about Concussive Percussion? Looking at your nation, your defense forces stat crashed a week ago - before that issue had even been added into the game. Since your defense forces got reset to 0, it has done nothing except grow.
See You Space Cowboy...

Torotho
Attaché

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Torotho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am

I got Issue 455 a few days ago, didn't realize there was a thread on these sorts of things or I would have posted earlier.

In any case, I chose Option 4.

The tank drives off, ruining the gardens around your office. "I can't believe you let amateurs use heavy armor," comments @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a military attaché from Maxtopia. "Occupying unruly neighborhoods can reduce unrest, but only if the job is done by professionals. Let the army handle your police work, and you won't have untrained idiots demolishing every street sign in their path. Nothing maintains law and order quite like the barrel of a gun and a proper curfew."

So, using my military to conduct law enforcement. One would think that would help reduce crime, especially with statements like "reduce unrest" and "Nothing maintains law and order quite like..."

Instead my crime rate spiked 497%, which seems akin to if I had abolished the police entirely. I think that's what the issue thinks to be the case, since by Law Enforcement went from top 10% to 0, but the fact that the military is running law enforcement, and strictly, would seem to make an increase in crime not make sense, and a 500% increase just ridiculous, especially with a top 10% defense force.

So, seems pretty unusual to me.

Oh, yeah, here's the link. It's the giant spike upwards, I had an issue lower it a bit then spike it up some more after, but it's the giant one that I'm talking about.

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=tor ... ensusid=77
Last edited by Torotho on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

South Pacific Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Republic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 am

Drasnia wrote:
South Pacific Republic wrote:One of my puppets got the issue dealing with using artillery at concerts. I chose the one that encouraged the usage of weapons and it completely crashed the defense forces stat.

Are you talking about Concussive Percussion? Looking at your nation, your defense forces stat crashed a week ago - before that issue had even been added into the game. Since your defense forces got reset to 0, it has done nothing except grow.

Huh, strange. Is there any conceivable reason why that effect would even happen in the first place?

4stan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby 4stan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:4stan, please take the hint and go away. What you consider useful queries are not useful queries.

I might answer and explain the queries you're making, but you're basically being persistently rude and obnoxious, so you're basically not welcome here.

Go away.

See that metaphorical door? Go. Leave. Get out. Skedaddle. You're a waste of time, a waste of wear and tear on keyboards, and a waste of brain cells.

The other civilians in this thread do not agree with you. Right now, you're being 100x more rude and obnoxious than I've ever been.

Anyway, I tried making a separate thread, but Monitor got all butthurt/triggered and locked it, so it looks like you're stuck with me as long as I don't break the forum rules.

Issue 255. I abolished all welfare programs. Authoritarianism increased - the opposite of what should happen according to any extant definition of the term.

Caracasus wrote:Your nation has turned the organs of the poor into a commodity. Income of poor probably went down to reflect your nation's movement towards a stratified society.

But legalizing the sale of organs wouldn't actually create a more stratified society

Caracasus wrote:As you said, poor people will be selling kidneys to pay off debt etc. Doubt anyone can work for a good while after having a kidney out...

Actually, they can work just fine as long as they restrict their salt intake.
Last edited by 4stan on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 am

4stan wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:4stan, please take the hint and go away. What you consider useful queries are not useful queries.

Go away.

The other civilians in this thread do not agree with you.

Anyway, I tried making a separate thread, but Monitor got all butthurt/triggered and locked it, so it looks like you're stuck with me as long as I don't break the forum rules.

Issue 255. I abolished all welfare programs. Authoritarianism increased - the opposite of what should happen according to any extant definition of the term.

Caracasus wrote:Your nation has turned the organs of the poor into a commodity. Income of poor probably went down to reflect your nation's movement towards a stratified society.

But legalizing the sale of organs wouldn't actually create a more stratified society

Caracasus wrote:As you said, poor people will be selling kidneys to pay off debt etc. Doubt anyone can work for a good while after having a kidney out...

Actually, they can work just fine as long as they restrict their salt intake.

You are allowing people to sell their organs. The poor will sell their organs, and the rich will be able to buy new organs from the poor. Given your lack of public healthcare, no doubt poor people would be trapped in a system where they're paying off medical bills by selling off organs. You're creating a society that is more stratified. Wealth gives one the advantage when it comes to health.

That's factually incorrect. REcovery from donating a kidney can take up to 12 weeks. Again, given your lack of welfare state that's potentially months where someone is unable to earn money.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 am

4stan wrote:

Go away.

The other civilians in this thread do not agree with you. Right now, you're being 100x more rude and obnoxious than I've ever been.

Candle doesn't have the authority to ban you from the thread, but both of you are breaking the forum rules right now. I didn't tell you to come back here and start spamming this thread again (or flamebait me or Candle). I told you to redo your thread so it isn't a knock-off of this one.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am

4stan wrote:

Go away.

rofl you make me laugh.

That attitude's not going to get you anywhere. I will not be helping you and I'm amazed CWA still is. You have the right to post so long as you don't break the rules, but you don't have the right to get responses.
See You Space Cowboy...

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Candlewhisper Archive, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an unofficial warning for flaming/baiting this post. You have an otherwise spotless record over a period that's included significant contributions to the site - you're a good person having a bad day, hence the punishment not being heavier; however, it was still over the top.

4stan/G-Max, you have a lengthy history of rules violations, particularly in this forum, and your behaviour here has been utterly unproductive. Since you are incapable of following instructions on using this thread in the appropriate manner, you are banned permanently from posting here. If you post here with any of your nations, they will be deleted. This does not mean that you make the same posts in other threads; that will also be considered evasion of this ban. Until you have learned how to follow guidelines and offer feedback in a helpful, polite fashion, refrain from offering any at all.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Torotho wrote:I got Issue 455 a few days ago, didn't realize there was a thread on these sorts of things or I would have posted earlier.

The tank drives off, ruining the gardens around your office. "I can't believe you let amateurs use heavy armor," comments @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a military attaché from Maxtopia. "Occupying unruly neighborhoods can reduce unrest, but only if the job is done by professionals. Let the army handle your police work, and you won't have untrained idiots demolishing every street sign in their path. Nothing maintains law and order quite like the barrel of a gun and a proper curfew."

So, using my military to conduct law enforcement. One would think that would help reduce crime, especially with statements like "reduce unrest" and "Nothing maintains law and order quite like..."

Instead my crime rate spiked 497%, which seems akin to if I had abolished the police entirely. I think that's what the issue thinks to be the case, since by Law Enforcement went from top 10% to 0, but the fact that the military is running law enforcement, and strictly, would seem to make an increase in crime not make sense, and a 500% increase just ridiculous, especially with a top 10% defense force.

Acording to the way NationStates is coded, the purpose of Defense is to fight wars, the purpose of Law Enforcement is to enforce the law, and the two government departments are not interchangable. Thus, if you cut funding from the police and move it to the military, the law won't be getting enforced, notwithstanding any lines claiming you're implementing martial law.

Basically, this issue option is trying to do something that simply isn't possible under the current game model.

If you need a roleplay explanation, chalk it up to your martial law being corrupt, only interested in combating threats to national security (or people saying bad stuff about your government) rather than common crooks, who can now steal with impunity so long as they're not stealing from the government. Besides, a lot of police work is about finding criminals and evidence that they're the ones responsible, not about defeating them in combat. Your army has a lot of tanks but does it have detectives?

If you wanted heavily-armed law enforcement that actually works, you should have picked one of the options that allows the police to use tanks, rather than replacing the police with military that's using tanks. Even given the exact same equipment, enforcing the law is simply not something the military can do, while it is something the police can do, that's how NationStates works.

Torotho
Attaché

Corporate Police State

Postby Torotho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Torotho wrote:I got Issue 455 a few days ago, didn't realize there was a thread on these sorts of things or I would have posted earlier.

Acording to the way NationStates is coded, the purpose of Defense is to fight wars, the purpose of Law Enforcement is to enforce the law, and the two government departments are not interchangable. Thus, if you cut funding from the police and move it to the military, the law won't be getting enforced, notwithstanding any lines claiming you're implementing martial law.

Basically, this issue option is trying to do something that simply isn't possible under the current game model.

If you need a roleplay explanation, chalk it up to your martial law being corrupt, only interested in combating threats to national security (or people saying bad stuff about your government) rather than common crooks, who can now steal with impunity so long as they're not stealing from the government. Besides, a lot of police work is about finding criminals and evidence that they're the ones responsible, not about defeating them in combat. Your army has a lot of tanks but does it have detectives?

If you wanted heavily-armed law enforcement that actually works, you should have picked one of the options that allows the police to use tanks, rather than replacing the police with military that's using tanks. Even given the exact same equipment, enforcing the law is simply not something the military can do, while it is something the police can do, that's how NationStates works.

Dangit. Thanks for the explanation though, I should have guessed it was a stats-based kinda thing. I'll have to try to think up something about incompetent/corrupt/differently-recorded something something to explain it, thanks for the suggestions.

Obviously I could understand white-collar crime and such going up in that kind of situation (Though militaries do have NCIS and those sort of things, they've got detectives), but it makes you scratch your head when apparently the entire criminal population of the nation decided "Hey, tanks are rolling down the streets! This sounds like the perfect time to go rob that bank!" Especially when crime is sort of associated with/implied to be mostly violent crime/theft. But, I suppose you just gotta roll with these kinds of things, it's not all that bad.

Though it does raise the sort of general question of why issue choices like that are put in if they do the opposite of what they say. I can understand accidental implications and such, but this seems to be a clear case of something you do specifically for the purpose of reducing crime, that then ends up increasing crime dramatically.
Last edited by Torotho on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A Humanist Resurrection
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Resurrection » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Torotho wrote:Though it does raise the sort of general question of why issue choices like that are put in if they do the opposite of what they say. I can understand accidental implications and such, but this seems to be a clear case of something you do specifically for the purpose of reducing crime, that then ends up increasing crime dramatically.

I'm having difficulty thinking of a circumstance where a sudden invocation of martial law results in immediate peace and prosperity. Either because of already advanced civil breakdown, or due to the breakdown that occurs post facto (since militaries are probably actually terrible at civil law enforcement).

What ever the workings of the game's internal doohickies, this outcome seems entirely normal and predictable.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:53 pm

A Humanist Resurrection wrote:
Torotho wrote:Though it does raise the sort of general question of why issue choices like that are put in if they do the opposite of what they say. I can understand accidental implications and such, but this seems to be a clear case of something you do specifically for the purpose of reducing crime, that then ends up increasing crime dramatically.

I'm having difficulty thinking of a circumstance where a sudden invocation of martial law results in immediate peace and prosperity. Either because of already advanced civil breakdown, or due to the breakdown that occurs post facto (since militaries are probably actually terrible at civil law enforcement).

What ever the workings of the game's internal doohickies, this outcome seems entirely normal and predictable.

Yes, Issues do what they say, but don't make the mistake of assuming that the results will be what were promised.
Last edited by Aclion on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Torotho
Attaché

Corporate Police State

Postby Torotho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Peace and prosperity, no, but every criminal deciding that its the best time to try to rob a bank or shoot up a store when you have tanks rolling down the street doesn't really make much sense.

I'm not talking about some fractional increase. My crime went up 497%, from I think the 92nd percentile to the 11th. That's nutty.
Last edited by Torotho on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Candlewhisper Archive, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an unofficial warning for flaming/baiting this post. You have an otherwise spotless record over a period that's included significant contributions to the site - you're a good person having a bad day, hence the punishment not being heavier; however, it was still over the top.

Understood. You're quite right, and I was reacting poorly in anger again. I apologize to the community for flipping out there.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Actually, the doohickies are quite clever and subtle here. If you've got a really poor police force, then overall crime will fall. However, if you've got a police force that's functioning but which is being unfairly maligned by the speaker, then crime rises. It's a very nice little bit of working-as-intended.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?