NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lawyer suicide
Secretary

Founded: Mar 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

#148 choice 2 increased Civil Rights

Postby Lawyer suicide » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:16 am

“What are these lunatics on about?!” yells Calvin Mendeleev, a concerned parent. “Smacking children has been an effective form of punishment since the dawn of mankind! Outlaw it and I guarantee you the next generation will be a disorderly disaster! Children need, nay CRAVE discipline! Sometimes the only language they understand is the cane, and the government has to respect that!”

Civil Rights increased from 55.14 to 61.05 (10.7%)

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:09 pm

I answered 654.4 with this nation. I suffered significant decreases across the board with my industries, income, and business subsidisation, which seems strange given the line "Use that money to prop up some of our domestic industries".
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Lawyer suicide wrote:
“What are these lunatics on about?!” yells Calvin Mendeleev, a concerned parent. “Smacking children has been an effective form of punishment since the dawn of mankind! Outlaw it and I guarantee you the next generation will be a disorderly disaster! Children need, nay CRAVE discipline! Sometimes the only language they understand is the cane, and the government has to respect that!”

Civil Rights increased from 55.14 to 61.05 (10.7%)

The government is giving parents a right to smack their children. The rights of the parents go up.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 am

Lawyer suicide wrote:This decrease recently happened in my nation.

"I'm not giving any of my hard-earned wages to a bunch of old fossils," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a devout taxpayer. "If they weren't smart enough to save enough money for their later years, then why should the government pay out for them now? They had their chance and they didn't take it. If they really want money so bad, they can go out and work for it like everyone else."

I understand that such option is cruel, but I don't understand why it lowered inclusiveness. My point is that pension system is about discrimination, old people get the privilege to stop working at expense of younger workers. In other words, there is a state-enforced discrimination between old people and younger people. I'm NOT saying that it's a bad thing, I'm just saying it's a discrimination. And if we abolish such privilege, then (considering absence of complicated side-effects decreasing "inclusiveness") our "inclusiveness" stat must increase because there is less discrimination in our society (the same logic will work in case of legalisation of child labour, for example).

Fair point, but the editor responsible took the opposite view, I presume, of saying that a society that doesn't care for the elderly is less inclusive, as the infirm and elderly are more likely to be marginalised than the able-bodied younger folk.

It's a bit like asserting that positive discrimination in favour of women, ethnic minorities or non-hetero sexualities is pro-diversity. We say this, because we determine diversity as a measure of how much your nation aims to include the marginalised or disempowered portion of society.

While any pro-female discrimination is going to be anti-male by nature, the existent balance of power means that it's a pro-diversity move, unless you swing wildly to the other extreme ("all men must obey all women!") then that would be encouraging disempowerment of a new second-class set of the population.

In real life, and in this issue's narrative, the retired elderly are the marginalised, disempowered and voiceless portion of society. Thus any measures that look to protect them are pro-diversity.

As I said, you could argue it either way, but I think the stats can remain as they are.

Incidentally, this is an explanation of the current position. It is emphatically NOT an invitation to debate the matter on this thread.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:15 am

Aclion wrote:
TolerastiyaUnlimited wrote:
The effect: "Employers may fire workers without giving any reason."

Income Equality: From 0.05 to 0.34 (580% increase).

I have no idea how giving the employers right to fire workers on the spot can increase the Income Equality stat so much. Especially considering that there wasn't any increase of the Employment.

Your income equality was already very low, so even a tiny change appears massive in terms of percentages.
You should see what happens when stats go across zero.

This. As to the direction of the change, MOST nations would see a decrease in income equality from this. However your starting position, and the complex emergent nature of the simulation meant that you got a small paradoxical change.

This happens IRL too. :)

TolerastiyaUnlimited
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby TolerastiyaUnlimited » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:50 am

This happens IRL too.

What do you mean?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:I answered 654.4 with this nation. I suffered significant decreases across the board with my industries, income, and business subsidisation, which seems strange given the line "Use that money to prop up some of our domestic industries".

Working as intended. To a given definition of intended.

The government aid budget contributes to general industrial growth for reasons. What you saw was the secondary effect change of wiping out that spending.

Not sure of the reasons for this game engine decision, but I'm guessing its to do with their being an infrastructure underlying all government work, so shrinking government spending in any department results in a gap in demand for that infrastructure of industries.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:26 am

TolerastiyaUnlimited wrote:
This happens IRL too.

What do you mean?

IRL: in real life
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

British West Zuzunia
Attaché

Founded: May 18, 2006
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby British West Zuzunia » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54 pm

#555 "It's An Honor Just To Be Nominated!", option 1 (hold open democratic primaries in response to voter demand) reduced my Political Freedoms.

Options 2 (restrict voting to party members) and 3 (ideological purity tests) are also fairly obvious Political Freedom reducers, and 4 (hold beauty contests instead of elections) is the nutjob answer, and I would guess should also reduce Political Freedoms. So this issue is just "screw your Political Freedoms" and I should always dismiss it out of hand?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:07 pm

British West Zuzunia wrote:#555 "It's An Honor Just To Be Nominated!", option 1 (hold open democratic primaries in response to voter demand) reduced my Political Freedoms.

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=can ... /id=743343

In particular note comments on freedom to lobby.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:52 pm

554.2 Welcome To —CENSORED—

All industries fell, but economic output went up.
Last edited by Aclion on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 am

Aclion wrote:554.2 Welcome To —CENSORED—

All industries fell, but economic output went up.

One industry rose, which accounts for the increase in economic output. All other industries fell, as the simulation always applies a tiny loss to all remaining industries in response to a rise in specific industries. If Industry A increases by 1 point, then industries B, C, D, E, F, etc decrease by a smidgen, but the net effect is that industries as a whole (economic output) grows.

Really stateless nation
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

#639, option 3 decreased economic freedom

Postby Really stateless nation » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 am

“Why bother with retirement anyway?” asks Genghis Reagan, a rather young basket weaving CEO whose employees consist mostly of his aging relatives. “I mean, the only reason it exists is just so old people can laze around doing nothing, right? So why don’t we remove it altogether and make it so that people have to work no matter how old they are? Sure, incidents like that doctor who left his false teeth inside a patient might be more common than before; but that’s the price you have to pay for the sake of productivity.”

It decreased my economic freedom from 91.22 to 86.11 (5.6% down)

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:30 am

Really stateless nation wrote:
“Why bother with retirement anyway?” asks Genghis Reagan, a rather young basket weaving CEO whose employees consist mostly of his aging relatives. “I mean, the only reason it exists is just so old people can laze around doing nothing, right? So why don’t we remove it altogether and make it so that people have to work no matter how old they are? Sure, incidents like that doctor who left his false teeth inside a patient might be more common than before; but that’s the price you have to pay for the sake of productivity.”

You're disallowing people from retiring. They must work. If that doesn't lower freedoms, I don't know what does.
See You Space Cowboy...

Really stateless nation
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Really stateless nation » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 am

Drasnia wrote:
Really stateless nation wrote:

You're disallowing people from retiring. They must work. If that doesn't lower freedoms, I don't know what does.

I see your point, but in my case, the state doesn't lift a finger to redistribute money from younger workers to the old. And at the same time, it forbade them from working after reaching a particular age. So on one hand, the old don't get money from the state and on the other hand, they were forbidden from supporting themselves. By cancelling retirement the state allowed them to support themselves and this gave a significant boost to my economy. So it looks like they received more freedom, not less, imho.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:31 am

SuperRegulatedCapitalism
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

#134 option 1 increased Black Market

Postby SuperRegulatedCapitalism » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:48 pm

“The government has been covering up UFO activity for years,” claims Arnold Wiener, host of the esoteric TV show ‘Death from the Skies’. “We’re tired of hearing about weather balloons and hoaxes. If there are little green men watching and abducting us, we deserve to know. We demand that the government release all documents regarding UFOs... and everything else too! Besides, we’re better off if our military doesn’t organize shady, expensive projects.”

I choose this option in order to decrease the Black Market by making my government more transparent. It decreased corruption, but paradoxically it increased the Black Market.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:57 am

SuperRegulatedCapitalism wrote:
“The government has been covering up UFO activity for years,” claims Arnold Wiener, host of the esoteric TV show ‘Death from the Skies’. “We’re tired of hearing about weather balloons and hoaxes. If there are little green men watching and abducting us, we deserve to know. We demand that the government release all documents regarding UFOs... and everything else too! Besides, we’re better off if our military doesn’t organize shady, expensive projects.”

I choose this option in order to decrease the Black Market by making my government more transparent. It decreased corruption, but paradoxically it increased the Black Market.

The issue and the option has - unsurprisingly - no direct instructions to the Black Market stat. I don't see the logic chain as to why you think it should.

Economic output shrank from arms manufacturing decreasing, so all market sectors shrank. That's all.

SuperRegulatedCapitalism
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby SuperRegulatedCapitalism » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:53 am

The issue and the option has - unsurprisingly - no direct instructions to the Black Market stat. I don't see the logic chain as to why you think it should.

Because I've noticed a correlation between level of corruption and size of the black market. So I hoped that by making my government transparent I would reduce the corruption stat and as a side-effect it would reduce the Black Market too.

Economic output shrank from arms manufacturing decreasing, so all market sectors shrank. That's all.

What did you mention it? I wasn't complaining about Economic Output if you read my message carefully. I was complaining about increasement of the Black Market.
Last edited by SuperRegulatedCapitalism on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:55 am

Oh right, I misread.

Anyway, nothing more to say on this. Secondary effect. Live with it.

SuperRegulatedCapitalism
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby SuperRegulatedCapitalism » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:56 am

Are we supposed to complain only about direct effects in this thread?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:58 am

You're supposed to be happy with what answers you get.

I answer people ONCE. I'm not paid here, I'm spending my own time. I look into it, I give you an answer.

You don't like it, I don't care. You keep bothering me, I block you.

Can't stand whining. User blocked.

Feel free to be pissed off about my treatment of you here, I owe you nothing.

Damn, my life here is so much easier since I've stopped bothering trying to help or listen to people that I dislike.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:29 pm

307.1 doesn't seem to have any downsides. Now this may be a result of how high my integrity stat is already, but I was expecting that it would lower it just a little, as politicians living on poverty wages might be more susceptible to bribery.

Not that I'm complaining. It's getting harder to increase integrity without big tradeoff, so it was a nice surprise.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Well, depends what you mean by downside, as everyone has different goals for their nations. The stats seem consistent with the option though.

One thing that is happening here, however, is the old "freedom to influence politics with money", which as I've noted before, the game engine interprets paradoxically, with increased freedom to bribe being reflected by a decrease in corruption. I suspect once this is fixed, the option and the game as a whole will make more sense in a lot of places.

Golden State Warriorz
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Why did taxes rise so dramatically?

Postby Golden State Warriorz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:59 am

After I selected choice 3 on issue 265 "To Bail Or Not To Bail", my average income decreased from 38,800 to 35,000 dollars (the fact that income fell didn't surprise me in itself, but the amount that it decreased by shocked me a little) and most importantly, taxes were raised from 43.1% to almost 51%. The description of choice 3 didn't indicate or suggest a tax hike of that magnitude, and doesn't seem like it would result in one. Option 1 is the only choice that seems like it would raise taxes so much.
Last edited by Golden State Warriorz on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:09 am, edited 9 times in total.
"I've Got Soul But I'm Not A Soldier"
Und La Dio hgti htreuhtreig rgjerhg rgkjrg kjregjregureg reuigirgrg irreig rgireg r itg rehg igrie gi.
The official name of this nation is "Golden Warrior State". I use NS Stats only as a guide.

Pro: Gay Marriage, LGBT Rights (including Transgender Rights), Gender Equality, Vaccines, Democratic Party, Bernie Sanders, Drug Legalization, Taxing the Rich, Free Speech, Immigration

Anti: Social Conservatism, Authoritarianism, Gender Roles, Republican Party, Trump, Lockdowns, Identity Politics, Paternalism, War on Drugs, Cancel Culture, Censorship, Critical Race Theory, Segregation, Prisons, LeBron James

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?