NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Godular wrote:Sooooo...

Issue number 536, "Every witch way spells disaster"

I chose option 5, the one about stamping out ignorance:

"no one believes anything until it has been strenuously tested and peer-reviewed."

This led to a decrease of my average life-span by a full year and a half.

What the heck?

Testing products can be dangerous ;) But seriously, I'm not sure what would cause this. Interesting result, tho.
See You Space Cowboy...

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:49 pm

"Caution! Danger!"

"Eh, this warning sign doesn't cite any sources. It's probably nothing."

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Why does putting in different gender-specific 'Porta-Pottys' make my employment rate plunge down?

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Trotterdam wrote:"Caution! Danger!"

Just need to have a citations listing on the back of the sign :p
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

A Humanist Science
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Science » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Drasnia wrote:

"no one believes anything until it has been strenuously tested and peer-reviewed."

What the heck?

Testing products can be dangerous ;) But seriously, I'm not sure what would cause this. Interesting result, tho.

The empirically minded, having destroyed their last shred of childhood imagination under the crushing weight of stuffy-old rule-based science, die of cirrhosis as they try to drink away their inescapable ennui.

**lone saxophone film noir music here**
Last edited by A Humanist Science on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:48 pm

What the heck?

Not quite. Your change for that one was:
Years 30.65 → 30.55 0.33%
Basically, it's a very tiny consequence of a consequence of a couple consequences.

I'm tempted to say this is the canonical reason:

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Luna Amore wrote:

What the heck?

Not quite. Your change for that one was:
Years 30.65 → 30.55 0.33%
Basically, it's a very tiny consequence of a consequence of a couple consequences.

I'm tempted to say this is the canonical reason:

Huh... woulda sworn it was that one which had the life-span drop of 1.5 years... I'd just been happy about hitting 32 years and blam something killed it.

Musta been the one before, then.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:21 am

Nation: Xynlandia, issue 141 option 2.
This decreased my law enforcement. I think that's probably linked to the decrease in economic output, but since the option seems to have the primary aim of increasing law enforcement, it doesn't really seem right.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:03 am

Nation: Skappola Issue NO. 274
"Brotherly Love - A Bit Too Close To Home?"

Choosing Option 4:
"Duuude, marriage is like totally outdated," says a hippie, wearing a multi-colored robe and in need of a wash. "They're like, restrictive and they bring down the vibe, man. Why put people in a box; let us roam free and we can all be brothers and sisters! It's what's nature wanted!"

Causes Civil Rights to fall by 7.3%, recreational drug use to fall by 1.2%, ideological radicality to drop by 7%, and social conservatism to rise by 77.6%. I think the issue effects are backwards for this particular choice.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 am

Skappola wrote:Nation: Skappola Issue NO. 274

Choosing Option 4:
"Duuude, marriage is like totally outdated," says a hippie, wearing a multi-colored robe and in need of a wash. "They're like, restrictive and they bring down the vibe, man. Why put people in a box; let us roam free and we can all be brothers and sisters! It's what's nature wanted!"

Causes Civil Rights to fall by 7.3%, recreational drug use to fall by 1.2%, ideological radicality to drop by 7%, and social conservatism to rise by 77.6%. I think the issue effects are backwards for this particular choice.

Marriage is considered a right with no other alternative. This option seems to basically ban it, and the game thinks people who can't marry are less free even though that hippie said it's restrictive. A badly worded choice, if you ask me.
Ideological radicality (discussed above) and social conservatism are directly linked to civil rights, so you can ignore the changes there.
Last edited by Bedetopia on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:37 am

Issue #474, 'Mesozoic Park': Why did choosing option 2, against re-creating the dinosaurs, reduce my Black market rating?
Black MarketGolden thalers 17,618.95 → 17,187.87 2.4%

I could understand a possible slight increase (because of people resorting to the black market for buying the dinosaurs that they want, of course), instead, but I don't see how it could cause this drop...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:57 am

Okay, I don't care what the actual explanation for this one is...
Bears Armed wrote:people resorting to the black market for buying the dinosaurs that they want
This needs to be a thing now.

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:06 am

#321 Cowboys and... Aliens?

Both options raise Civil Rights, that doesn't make sense.

The first one, some time ago.

The second one, just now.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:35 am

One raises the rights of your existing citizens and lowers the rights of immigrants, the other is the other way around. Which part dominates probably depends on your previous legislation. If you've already crushed both groups' rights to near-zero, they can't go much lower, so only the positive part sticks.

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:50 am

Bedetopia wrote:
Skappola wrote:Nation: Skappola Issue NO. 274

Choosing Option 4:

Marriage is considered a right with no other alternative. This option seems to basically ban it, and the game thinks people who can't marry are less free even though that hippie said it's restrictive. A badly worded choice, if you ask me.
Ideological radicality (discussed above) and social conservatism are directly linked to civil rights, so you can ignore the changes there.

Wait, that option bans marriage? They need to seriously be more clear about that then, because what it sounds like is the government is just stops taking account of marriages.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:49 am

Nation: Pterodoria, issue 483, option 2.
2. "Oh the horror! THE HORROR!" gasps the McRonalds CEO as he watches a video of protesters deep-frying the company mascot. "Not Ronald! Anyone but Ronald! They've gone bananas! @@LEADER@@, their complaints are ridiculous, I assure you. They should be grateful for the wage they get for, what, flipping a few burgers? Give me a break. I implore you to send in the police and stop these mouth-breathers from scaring away our custom- eh, I mean, to protect our citizens, of course..."

Effect: income equality raised by over 77%. My income equality was very low, but this is still a significant increase given that it dropped me 150 places for average income of wealthy. I don't understand how refusing to raise the minimum wage increases income equality (giving a 51% increase in average income of poor).
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:59 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Nation: Pterodoria, issue 483, option 2.
2. "Oh the horror! THE HORROR!" gasps the McRonalds CEO as he watches a video of protesters deep-frying the company mascot. "Not Ronald! Anyone but Ronald! They've gone bananas! @@LEADER@@, their complaints are ridiculous, I assure you. They should be grateful for the wage they get for, what, flipping a few burgers? Give me a break. I implore you to send in the police and stop these mouth-breathers from scaring away our custom- eh, I mean, to protect our citizens, of course..."

Effect: income equality raised by over 77%. My income equality was very low, but this is still a significant increase given that it dropped me 150 places for average income of wealthy. I don't understand how refusing to raise the minimum wage increases income equality (giving a 51% increase in average income of poor).

I have no idea why it would raise the average income, but the increase was actually quite tiny, from 0.72 to 1.28 on income equality (of poor seems to be a much larger increase)
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:34 am

I just answered 284.5.

Interestingly enough my religiousness skyrocketed: Religiousness 24.30 → 711.72 (2,829%) while my secularism only dropped a bit in comparison: Secularism 16.88 → 14.84 (12.1%).

Neither of these effects are at all surprising, but I'm a bit surprised by how much religiousness rose with how little secularism dropped. I had always thought they were fairly well connected. Just an interesting observation.
See You Space Cowboy...

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:27 am

Issue 538

Chose option 3: "One washroom is fine, sweeties, but why all this fuss over artificial categories?" asks Mx. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, looking great in a fetching tuxedo and miniskirt combo. "Just take off the boy and girl signs on the doors, and be gender fluid about where you pass your fluids. Where would you be without me, darling?"

Increased inclusiveness... and authoritarianism (with a commensurate reduction in civil rights).

Bwuh?
New to F7? Click here!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:52 am

Godular wrote:Issue 538

Chose option 3: "One washroom is fine, sweeties, but why all this fuss over artificial categories?" asks Mx. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, looking great in a fetching tuxedo and miniskirt combo. "Just take off the boy and girl signs on the doors, and be gender fluid about where you pass your fluids. Where would you be without me, darling?"

Increased inclusiveness... and authoritarianism (with a commensurate reduction in civil rights).

Bwuh?

Oooh yeah! I got that result too. That was kind of odd.
Mind my adding, we also had an increase in taxation for some reason!

Another one I got was ... oh, I don't remember what its name was, but for some reason, forcing females to wear clothing to the point where only their eyes could see seemed to raise civil rights.
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

British West Zuzunia
Attaché

Founded: May 18, 2006
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby British West Zuzunia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 am

#44 "No Pain, No Gain!", option 1, "Torture is the only way that we can get these idiots to tell us anything. After all, violence is the only shared language we have with these scum."

No effect on Civil Rights, but Inclusiveness is up 0.14%.

I guess... because we're speaking our shared language?

Also, Law Enforcement is up significantly, which makes sense, but it appears to have dragged all other areas of government expenditure, including areas that it makes little sense to be raised by approving torture, like Public Education, Public Healthcare, Welfare, and Foreign Aid, up with it.

SgtSarros
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby SgtSarros » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:14 am

Jutsa wrote:
Godular wrote:Issue 538

Bwuh?

Oooh yeah! I got that result too. That was kind of odd.
Mind my adding, we also had an increase in taxation for some reason!

Another one I got was ... oh, I don't remember what its name was, but for some reason, forcing females to wear clothing to the point where only their eyes could see seemed to raise civil rights.

Yeah a reduction in civil rights, and an increase in social conservatism ( ?? ) Pretty sure this is not a conservative way of thinking..

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:33 pm

#330 option 1 ("stores employing more than 100 employees are required to be at least twenty miles from any competitor") raises economic freedom? And this on a puppet that wasn't previously anti-capitalist, either.

I've heard about Economic Freedom including a "barrier to entry" component, so this might be intended as a representation of it becoming easier for small businesses to set up, but even so government intervention cracking down on large businesses even when they would outcompete the small ones in a free market does not seem like something that should increase economic freedom.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Issue 277.

Chose the following option:

1. "Whatever happened to freedom of press?" asks paparazzo @@RANDOMNAME@@, indignantly. "Why aren't you allowing honest, hardworking people like myself to do our jobs? If our beloved leader slips on a banana peel, that's big news on the level of national security! We must be allowed to take pictures of you whenever we want, wherever we want! Oh, and any comment on the rumors you had a one-night stand with your nei..." The question is cut off as a horde of journalists crowd in to ask questions.

Resulted in a 9.1% increase in authoritarianism and an increase in social conservatism.

Bwuh? (I swear, sometimes its like the game is taunting me...)
Last edited by Godular on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to F7? Click here!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Godular wrote:Issue 277.

Chose the following option:

1. "Whatever happened to freedom of press?" asks paparazzo @@RANDOMNAME@@, indignantly. "Why aren't you allowing honest, hardworking people like myself to do our jobs? If our beloved leader slips on a banana peel, that's big news on the level of national security! We must be allowed to take pictures of you whenever we want, wherever we want! Oh, and any comment on the rumors you had a one-night stand with your nei..." The question is cut off as a horde of journalists crowd in to ask questions.

Resulted in a 9.1% increase in authoritarianism and an increase in social conservatism.

Bwuh? (I swear, sometimes its like the game is taunting me...)

Authoritarianism
Stalins 0.11 → 0.12 9.1%

Social Conservatism
Bush-Santorum Dawning Terror Index 40.92 → 41.15 0.56%

Your nation didn't feel the main effect, so secondary ones are minor but noticeable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?